Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
wow, way to support the troops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the opposite but equally powerful insult is 'default character creator looking rear end'.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

eke out posted:

they are the rare podcast where fans actively re-post the ads lol

Money Zone went downhill since they stopped doing ads for Extreme Restraints

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

That one stamps ad about jerking it to e everyone loves Raymond was good

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I mean it's not thursday boots

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not even a Cum Town guy but I think Thursday Boots is the most I’ve ever relistened to a podcast thing

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
TAZ: Amber is very hot and cold for me. One second she is meh, the other she is crushing it. Three cheers for her Infinnybag.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/eiffeltyler/status/1451202440259194888

This all ties back to Justin

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
God dammit Justin

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I gotta say, of the TAZ I've listened to, this is the first time I really feel like all three of the players are playing characters I'm really digging. Zoox's bits with the clam and his emptiness are really working for me in particular. I also appreciate that they've all played enough D&D to make batshit choices that make Griffin scramble to keep up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm just a little bothered by the aggression especially wrt Devo cus it doesn't sound like it's helping them ever.

Like loving poo poo swallow your pride and at least find out what your "enemy" is up to; it's bad strategy to go around intimidating NPCs that could possibly loving crush you and it's unprofessional in-character to bite the hand that pays.

It's going to bite them if Griffin's comment, ("You are not integral to the story") is kept true, and I hope so cus it sounds like they have poo poo to say but he just chases them off; Griffin's constantly having to find clunkier ways to salvage the exposition the NPC was going to give, even if it's just establishing some fiction.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 22, 2021

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TL posted:

I gotta say, of the TAZ I've listened to, this is the first time I really feel like all three of the players are playing characters I'm really digging. Zoox's bits with the clam and his emptiness are really working for me in particular. I also appreciate that they've all played enough D&D to make batshit choices that make Griffin scramble to keep up.

It's the first campaign where Justin's character isn't my favorite, which I wasn't expecting going in.

(For those keeping score playing along at home, this now puts Clint as the #1 roleplayer in the family with yet another category!!)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Good on this guy. Ride that 15 minutes of fame wave lil' lad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm just a little bothered by the aggression especially wrt Devo cus it doesn't sound like it's helping them ever.

Like loving poo poo swallow your pride and at least find out what your "enemy" is up to; it's bad strategy to go around intimidating NPCs that could possibly loving crush you and it's unprofessional in-character to bite the hand that pays.

It's going to bite them if Griffin's comment, ("You are not integral to the story") is kept true, and I hope so cus it sounds like they have poo poo to say but he just chases them off; Griffin's constantly having to find clunkier ways to salvage the exposition the NPC was going to give, even if it's just establishing some fiction.

In hindsight I'd have rather they didn't go straight to the church for mission one, but Griff just had to entice them with those goof suits. I didn't mind Devo and his anger (though blowing up in the lobby went a smidge too far), I just would have preferred they didn't start off by taking jobs from the group you know Devo was gonna be uncomfortable with.

If anything, I find myself being a little beaten down by Amber when she's being difficult. She makes up for it, but when she's stubborn it drags to me.

All this criticism to say: I'm still really digging this scene. Gonna be interesting to see if these traits get worse or better, but I'm in for the long haul.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

on last page's subject of best ad reads, hey riddle riddle is doing a hellofresh ad this week, and they slipped in this line: "There was one caveat, my meal arrived with a busted onion. So I got in touch with Hellofresh and I let them know that onion busting was disgusting, and that they should at the very least acknowledge the onion."

i assume that they were still mid-sponsorship contract but that's probably burnt up now lol (although based on the hollywood handbook ads, there's a good chance they don't even listen beyond the very first sponsored ad)

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I had actually drafted a post about how much I like Devo's emotional beats. The lobby blow up was a bit much, but the underlying sentiment felt true, and I think it opens him up to being less resentful in other settings. I also like how much Devo's humor is built from pushing against the "open every chest, fight every battle" trope of role-playing games, which works really well in a space where our heroes don't have plot armor.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

on last page's subject of best ad reads, hey riddle riddle is doing a hellofresh ad this week, and they slipped in this line: "There was one caveat, my meal arrived with a busted onion. So I got in touch with Hellofresh and I let them know that onion busting was disgusting, and that they should at the very least acknowledge the onion."

i assume that they were still mid-sponsorship contract but that's probably burnt up now lol (although based on the hollywood handbook ads, there's a good chance they don't even listen beyond the very first sponsored ad)

ok this is legit lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The 7th Guest posted:

A+

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

I had actually drafted a post about how much I like Devo's emotional beats. The lobby blow up was a bit much, but the underlying sentiment felt true, and I think it opens him up to being less resentful in other settings. I also like how much Devo's humor is built from pushing against the "open every chest, fight every battle" trope of role-playing games, which works really well in a space where our heroes don't have plot armor.

yeah i weirdly like how travis is playing this character, he's a raw nerve and doing a lot of dumb poo poo socially that seems to actually be quite well-explained by his background

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The 7th Guest posted:

Boy this has gone over my head every time I've heard it. This is very cool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

eke out posted:

yeah i weirdly like how travis is playing this character, he's a raw nerve and doing a lot of dumb poo poo socially that seems to actually be quite well-explained by his background

Oh I'm also the kinda dude who used to crash his own house party I'm well aware it's very real and relatable -- but that experience supports my criticism; being bristly and immature with society as your "method" of dealing with your trauma leads to embarrassment and pain less often than success.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh I'm also the kinda dude who used to crash his own house party I'm well aware it's very real and relatable -- but that experience supports my criticism; being bristly and immature with society as your "method" of dealing with your trauma leads to embarrassment and pain less often than success.

i agree with you, in the sense that it's very obviously self-destructive behavior that does not help the group, but it seems to be intentional and not just travis being dumb and i'm happy to see the character work through it

also lol i guess this is what brian's doing when they're not doing LMaM episodes

https://twitter.com/briamgilbert/status/1451635660993929217

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 22, 2021

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hell yeah

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

eke out posted:

i agree with you, in the sense that it's very obviously self-destructive behavior that does not help the group, but it seems to be intentional and not just travis being dumb and i'm happy to see the character work through it

also lol i guess this is what brian's doing when they're not doing LMaM episodes

Oh God that's primo avatar material.

And yes I'm so happy how much they're doing in character.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If it’s half as good as the Stranger Sings it’ll be a Halloween classic.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

eke out posted:

As a lover of stupid spooky Halloween poo poo, ABBA, and Brian's singing voice, I am very very pleased.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

That is true but it means his character has room to grow! Also like, it made a ton of sense in context - he was uncomfortable with the job from the start but was fine, and then every single thing that happened in the mission just pushed his buttons more and more and more with no room to rest or calm down, and so he kept doing stupider poo poo in response. I liked it, it all made sense. I don't think he's going to be like that on any other mission because none of them are likely to push him that hard.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Organza Quiz posted:

That is true but it means his character has room to grow! Also like, it made a ton of sense in context - he was uncomfortable with the job from the start but was fine, and then every single thing that happened in the mission just pushed his buttons more and more and more with no room to rest or calm down, and so he kept doing stupider poo poo in response. I liked it, it all made sense. I don't think he's going to be like that on any other mission because none of them are likely to push him that hard.

I mean... he wasn't just "uncomfortable" with the job at the start. He acted like an aggressive rear end in a top hat instantly and has not given us (or his crew mates) a reason why except for intentionally vague "troubled past" vibes. If his past with the church was so traumatizing, he shouldn't have so easily went along with the other two when they were arbitrarily picking jobs. Like... if you suffered trauma at the hands of someone, and then you are handed three completely random job prospects and one of them is with your former abusers, I would imagine you'd be a little bit more resistant to the idea.

It all feels unearned and forced, partially because no one has bothered to ask him what the heck his deal is or show a modicum of interest, but also because it feels like Travis is trying to bait them so he can do a big monologue about his past. Which would be fine if it was set up more appropriately than "I'll just act like a rude dick who threatens murder on people we've only met two seconds ago and then never really dive into why".

His whole bit criticizing the dude for mind controlling all those potentially dangerous ghost pirates... how did no one address the fact that Devo has threatened violence, manipulated, and used persuasive magic on people all throughout the campaign? When people he doesn't like do it, it's because they're bad. But when he does it, it's just a skill check that doesn't factor into character development at all. And for a person who was supposed to be naive and sheltered his entire life, he certainly is good at wheeling and dealing and pulling a fast one on everyone he meets. You'd think someone with an issue about being lied to his whole life would be more hesitant any manipulating others.

This turned into a bit of a rant but I just see so many people talk about how good Devo is as a character. He comes off as the most glaringly inconsistent character out of the three to me.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Hurt people hurt people.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think we're supposed to understand that Devo is also not a good person. I also think you kinda nailed it in that it seems to me like Travis is trying to bait the other players into asking him what's going on, between his blow ups and his contradictory usage of persuasion and manipulation. But... no one else really cares enough to ask yet, so it does kinda come off as weird.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Inkspot posted:

Hurt people hurt people.

I think that would be a rather clever and insightful look at this situation, but probably a little too thoughtful for this kind of show. And if it is, hopefully it'll be revealed sooner rather than later because, as I stated, it feels like a lot of gravitas that hasn't been earned yet.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't listen carefully enough to have specific examples of the buildup but to me he reads exactly like someone who was raised to be a charismatic manipulative leader of a church and then decided he wanted out. His past isn't particularly mysterious, I'm sure we'll learn at some point whatever incident caused him to see through them but the broad strokes of what happened seem pretty clear to me? I also just don't see a contradiction in the group deciding to do the job for the church and him going along with it even though he hates them. But I guess we just have opposite reactions to the same material and that's just how it be sometimes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't listen carefully enough to have specific examples of the buildup but to me he reads exactly like someone who was raised to be a charismatic manipulative leader of a church and then decided he wanted out. His past isn't particularly mysterious, I'm sure we'll learn at some point whatever incident caused him to see through them but the broad strokes of what happened seem pretty clear to me? I also just don't see a contradiction in the group deciding to do the job for the church and him going along with it even though he hates them. But I guess we just have opposite reactions to the same material and that's just how it be sometimes.

Joss Whedon stole River Tam from Outlaw Star

Travis McElroy stole Devo from Outcast of Redwall

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Giving Travis the benefit of the doubt, they haven't really had a Lunar Interlude-style break, and this isn't CR where it's not uncommon for players to pull each other aside for more subdued character-driven conversations. Zoox doesn't seem to pick up on a lot of social cues, and Amber doesn't seem to give much of a gently caress about social cues. As a charismatic character, what do you do with that?

Has Devo been a manipulative little poo poo? Yes. Is that supposedly contrary to his whole belief system? Yes. Does that kind of hypocritical behavior jibe with Travis as both a player and a person? Yes.

I'd like to believe Devo was already iffy on the mission, and the people giving it, and then everything went unbelievably sideways, and that both Devo and Travis had had ENOUGH. Doesn't excuse or explain anything, but Tres Horny Koi have been together a few weeks at most. If we're still having this conversation about how Devo manipulates people like a motherfucker only to turn around and rail against manipulation in six months, there's a problem. If this is him getting his sea legs and learning how to use his skills outside of their intended usage, it might just be the start of a really fantastic character arc for both Devo as a character and Travis as a player.

Guess we'll see.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Joss Whedon stole River Tam from Outlaw Star

Travis McElroy stole Devo from Outcast of Redwall

I hate how much I love this.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Another thing is, the church mission was a rescue mission, the most time critical mission. It's reasonable to assume it might go to someone else. Like team butt-munch.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I feel like the only person with this gripe, but I hate that Justin's voice for Amber relies on him whispering. I listen to TAZ in a somewhat loud work setting and I frequently have to rewind the cast to figure out what he just said.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Pennsylvanian posted:

I feel like the only person with this gripe, but I hate that Justin's voice for Amber relies on him whispering. I listen to TAZ in a somewhat loud work setting and I frequently have to rewind the cast to figure out what he just said.

As a character choice, it's not a good one for an audio-only medium. It has the side effect of making the character super low energy and giving off a "I'm just here to collect a paycheck" vibe sometimes. Which is a shame because Justin has, by far, the most entertaining characters across the board so this one feels really flat a lot of the time.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pennsylvanian posted:

I was listening in the car the other day and between road noise and Travis' lower register I had to crank it up anytime Devo was talking.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Devo is fine. I will never for the life of me understand people accusing D&D characters of trying to be the main character of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvt9vcoyipA