Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Suddenly it seems like a really good idea to keep butter in a plastic bag. Knead it a little to warm it up and make it spreadable, squeeze the desired amount right onto the bread from a little nozzle, and no air can get to the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

gschmidl posted:

I assume this is a british thing so the mustard that makes it unbearably spicy for the british palate.

Ah yes, Monterey Jack, that famous cheese we definitely eat and put in British recipe books

Also 'lox and bagel' is an extremely American Jewish thing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you take Amazon into consideration, you could say bookstores actually won the internet. A bookstore, anyway.

Books themselves lost at Amazon, but authors never had power anyways.

CannonFodder posted:

And when the war was over the Dutch got a monopoly on nutmeg while the British got an unprofitable Dutch colony called New Amsterdam. The name was changed to New York. I guess people just liked it better that way.

Connecticut somehow claimed the title of Nutmeg state but I'm not sure how that worked.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The late 90s early 2000s was such a strange time for food coloring.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

EZ Squirt

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

There's a regional creamery that makes tubs of whipped butter for easy spreading! Except

1. It doesn't spread easier, at all,
and
2. It's the most tasteless, palest butter I've ever had. I've bought bricks of Walmart brand butter that are better. It makes me concerned for those cows. Are they locked in a closet? What do they eat? Why does this butter taste of nothing???

I'm just gonna carry on having both margarine and butter for different purposes.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I never cared much about the distinction, which is good because I can't eat real butter anymore.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

There's a regional creamery that makes tubs of whipped butter for easy spreading! Except

1. It doesn't spread easier, at all,
and
2. It's the most tasteless, palest butter I've ever had. I've bought bricks of Walmart brand butter that are better. It makes me concerned for those cows. Are they locked in a closet? What do they eat? Why does this butter taste of nothing???

I'm just gonna carry on having both margarine and butter for different purposes.

I can only assume the whipped part comes before the milk is jerked out.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

Books themselves lost at Amazon, but authors never had power anyways.

Connecticut somehow claimed the title of Nutmeg state but I'm not sure how that worked.

Yankee peddlers. https://connecticuthistory.org/the-yankee-peddler-1850/

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I grew up eating almost exclusively margarine because it's "healthier" but then my parents decided that actually, it's not, and then swung to exclusively butter. That was a weird change

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I guess that explains why nutmeg is so popular in New England, but wow what a roundabout way to get there.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also 'lox and bagel' is an extremely American Jewish thing
It's also extremely delicious!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

more falafel please posted:

I grew up eating almost exclusively margarine because it's "healthier" but then my parents decided that actually, it's not, and then swung to exclusively butter. That was a weird change

My parents still eat "buttery spread" because it spreads better than butter that was in the fridge until the very moment it's intended to be used.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're not allowed to call stuff margarine here anymore so everything has its own 'I can't believe it's not butter' knock off name

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This butter chat is pissing me off because it's reminding me that it's getting to the time of year where the butter that sits in the butter dish isn't soft at room temp anymore because it's too cold outside :mad:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Iron Crowned posted:

My parents still eat "buttery spread" because it spreads better than butter that was in the fridge until the very moment it's intended to be used.

My folks use the kind that's hard and brittle because it's 25% healthier or whatever. And then they use a ton more on stuff than I do of actual butter, so :shrug:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

more falafel please posted:

Marge was healthier because of saturated animal fats, but then whoops trans fats became a thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thecluckmeme posted:

This butter chat is pissing me off because it's reminding me that it's getting to the time of year where the butter that sits in the butter dish isn't soft at room temp anymore because it's too cold outside :mad:

you should consider getting walls for your room

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

STOP!

ASPIC TIME!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Would

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AltruisticFaithfulDaddylonglegs-mobile.mp4

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I like the idea, but the exact ingredients leave a lot to be desired.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have a real problem with gummi bears in ice cream, they're my favorite candy but in ice cream they just turn into bricks.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://i.imgur.com/1N1qxaQ.mp4

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

why is there a hillside of bread?
I don't understand this

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

You're not allowed to call stuff margarine here anymore so everything has its own 'I can't believe it's not butter' knock off name
Where's this?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Helith posted:

why is there a hillside of bread?
I don't understand this

I'm guessing a distributor had too many expired trays and decided to dump them in the forest for some reason.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm guessing a distributor had too many expired trays and decided to dump them in the forest for some reason.

This is what I thought but then why are they spread out? If I was being a piece of poo poo and dumping I'd just dump it in one spot and book it, not carefully spread a single layer of bread over an area.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

uPen posted:

This is what I thought but then why are they spread out? If I was being a piece of poo poo and dumping I'd just dump it in one spot and book it, not carefully spread a single layer of bread over an area.

nobody likes the bread too thick, ok?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Thought I was in the capitalism thread for a second there

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hey hey hey. You are not supposed to spill our secrets.

Holy gently caress, that's a lot of bread. No bags, no trays, no dollies. Once stale is in that state, it's off to the pig farmers, IME.

Another possibility, because I've seen someone do this, is that it was dumped to hunt over. Bread DM would save up trashbags of old spec buns and private label (neither of which go to thrift) to distribute around his preferred hunting spots. More "hunting" than hunting with him. poo poo got real dangerous around the middle of the day, when he was in the middle of a fifth.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Would

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Hey hey hey. You are not supposed to spill our secrets.

The only secret is that I've only ever met one bread vendor who wasn't an rear end in a top hat. Prairie Farm guys are assholes too; none of them wear masks and one I always see at a gas station parks in the only handicap spot so he can unload right in front of the door. I called him out on it one day and he just laughed about it.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

I think I got food poisoning from eating at burger king.

Voilą, enjoy your salmonella stain.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Last I checked following the "Amazon is going to kill bookstores!" doom crying, big chain bookstores are struggling (Borders and Waldenbooks already being casualties), but independent bookstores are doing better than ever.

Amazon? Pshaw. We know who's really responsible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tunicate posted:

:lol: I love that inexplicably lovely take so much, it's like it predicted twitter decades ahead of time

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Weirdly, it's from 2010.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Weirdly, it's from 2010.

Oh huh, I could've sworn I remembered it from way back when I used to check comic collections out from the library back in the 90s. I still enjoy its complete shittiness either way though.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Tunicate posted:

I wonder if the author of this knew that libraries have been around longer than book stores

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/jeniferstmarket/status/1446187763280355333

Fall seasonal food is the wurst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Semi-Protato posted:

Fall seasonal food is the wurst
ha

But, I made a pumpkin spice negroni flip a couple of weeks ago and it was loving delicious