Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

david_a posted:

The Reverend Mother mentions “other possibilities” if Paul doesn’t work out, so they did sort of plant the idea of there being a few others on par with Paul.

Presumably there are a series of other lines that they could mix to get the best chance of a KH. If it requires waiting another generation or two instead, so be it. The overall point is they're close, and it's Jessica's love (and pride) that dooms them, as not even the son of the most righteous dude in the universe can stop what's coming.

As for the film itself, it was very solid, though I have some minor complaints:

the entire middle section feels clipped; hope we see an extended edition with another 20-30 minutes to build out Thufir and Yueh a bit more before the attack. There needed to be more time to ramp up the suspicion, but I understand the compromise.

Wanted to see the envelop pushed aesthetically, and just more time in wider shots to take in the atmosphere of Geidi Prime. Having the three main locations basically have the same bland, monochrome aesthetic would be fine if the outfits and decor were pumped up a bit.

I am fine with having Jessica show some emotion, but I think it was pushed too far and undermined the realization of what she had done to Paul later on a little less meaningful (Chalmat killed that scene). The jihad scenes could have been a bit more creative instead of reusing Caladan, showed some flashes of burning worlds instead of just a random pile of bodies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Philthy posted:

I am a huge fan of the Lynch Dune, and was rolling my eyes at yet another shakycam everything is CGI worms with spikes scifi movie coming out.

You must be new to Villeneuve.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Watchable, and better than average for Hollywood these days, but that's not saying much. There are some sparks of brilliance (e.g. worms, ornithopters, the voice, Javier Bardem) in it but overall I think when you set out to adapt something like Dune you are staring at the sun it's just incredibly difficult source material to condense into 2-3 hours. Probably 50% of the actors were miscast and the score was annoying.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the worst part of the movie is how many times Mamoa taps pauls arm and calls him my boy in like a 2 minute scene

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hey what the gently caress was up with the frame rate at the end of the IMAX version?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

but yes I'd say the Baron, Mamoa, Bautista, and Jessica were all miscast.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The first ten minutes are a masterpiece of world building and exposition. I like the super serious tone, but if you aren’t transported by the weirdness of the baron, or on board with space-ninja witches, I can see it being dull

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

porfiria posted:

It's the best scene in the movie. There are A LOT of scenes of dudes standing in squares in landing fields and that one crushed it.

I think they definitely wanted to contrast the Atreides with the Sardaukar there, since we're told the Atreides troops are a threat to the Sardaukar (and they get mad about that). The Atreides have discipline equal to the Sardaukar, but the Atreides' is rooted in what we see as "professional army behavior" while the Sardaukar have all kinds of bonkers (cool) poo poo.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Chalamet loving killed it. I liked him in that medieval movie as well. Love it when we get a new young actor who you can tell is going to give us decades of good roles assuming they stay in the business.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Sardaukar being fueled by mass human sacrifice was an interesting touch

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I assumed those were Sardaukar soldiers involved in some sort of crazy pre-battle bloodletting ritual.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

imagined them as slaves or prisoners who didn't pass the first test of becoming one

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

FBS posted:

Hey what the gently caress was up with the frame rate at the end of the IMAX version?

I noticed that in non-IMAX and had chalked it up to my theatre's projector. It was like when you go to a relative's house and they have that motion smoothing crap still enabled on their TV.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

TerminalSaint posted:

I noticed that in non-IMAX and had chalked it up to my theatre's projector. It was like when you go to a relative's house and they have that motion smoothing crap still enabled on their TV.

It was so bizarre. Only truly distracting in a handful of shots but I've never seen a movie do that before. I'd love a technical explanation of what happened there

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Why did the ladies stillsuits have codpieces?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I only read the book once a year or so ago so I wasent lost but if you don’t know the source material I think this is almost as bonkers as the Lynch movie with less exposition.

Can’t wait for part 2.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

smooth jazz posted:

Why did the ladies stillsuits have codpieces?

Helps them store pee.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Defiance Industries posted:

Maybe they want people who haven't read the books to not know the Baron's plan of tricking everyone into loving Feyd, putting them in the shoes of the locals. So when he takes over for Rabban and isn't a screaming lunatic the audience will go "hey maybe this Harkonnen is a good guy!"

"the guy cast to play Feyd is really pretty and the internet is eating their fingers over it!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

rabban's gonna split apart like the lady in total recall and out of a cloud of hissing steam will walk... naked sting

i would scream and clap louder than an obnoxious marvel fan

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

KaptainKrunk posted:

but yes I'd say the Baron, Mamoa, Bautista, and Jessica were all miscast.

wait why

i got a weird brando vibe from skars but

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I might be wasted but this was the poo poo, we'll see if it holds up on a dead sober watch through.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Zendaya should have been cast as Feyd Rautha.

Anyways, replacing the talking vagina closeups and weirding module subplot with 200% more Ornithopters was a brave choice by Villeneuve imo.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 23, 2021

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I think the funniest casting for Feyd Rautha in a part 2 would be Lucas Hedges. Battle of the A24 stars.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The 1984 worms looked cooler with their double layers of three lips. I get why he went with a round-mouthed worm with baleen for teeth, it looks like an eye staring at you, but it’s just not as cool looking

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 23, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

davecrazy posted:

I only read the book once a year or so ago so I wasent lost but if you don’t know the source material I think this is almost as bonkers as the Lynch movie with less exposition.

Can’t wait for part 2.

For anyone without previous Dune experience I recommended the Alan Smithee cut of Lynch Dune. After that chaos, you can take in Villeneuve Dune without being bothered by such things as plot and exposition.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

The 1984 worms looked cooler with their double layers of three lips. I get why he went with a round-mouthed worm with baleen for teeth, it looks like an eye staring at you, but it’s just not as cool looking

The worms looking slightly less cool, and the pronunciation of Harkonnen were my only minor nitpicks basically. Got out of my third screening tonight, pretty confident saying this is top 3 and possibly my fave sci-fi film ever.

It landed for me pretty much exactly like LOTR did back in the day.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Overall I liked it.

But what is still weird to me is that even though this movie only covers half the book and runs over 2 and a half hours, it still felt like things rushed along too fast. I think a lot of good actors and good characters (the mentats for example) were almost criminally underused. I hope that maybe when this comes to streaming or even physical media that there will be a longer cut with a ton of deleted scenes.

Really liked the brief scene on Salusa Secundus. Wish we could have seen more like that.

Wasnt a huge fan of the way the worms looked. Imperial city (Arakeen?) looked like it was uninhabited.

Also disappointed that we didnt get a scene with the guild threatening the emperor like in the 1984 version (minus the terrible looking creature).

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Actually now that the ladies codpiece mystery is solved my only beef is how they pronounced Pah-DEE-sha.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 23, 2021

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I actually wouldn't mind if the second part backgrounds Paul more, keeping him a little mysterious while fleshing out the Emperor, the Guild, Feyd, etc. Of course that would cut back on some much needed development for Chani and the other Fremen and Paul integrating, so who knows

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This was really great IMO. Can't wait for episode 2 to drop next week!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
It's funny that many of the things people are saying are missing from this movie is actually stuff Lynch added in that was never in the books. The Emperor is barely in the first book (he is only described by our narrator a.k.a. his daughter, but his actual first appearance is in the final chapters), the actual guild navigators are never seen until the second book, the plan to kill the Atreides family is a plan from the Emperor and the Baron and the Guild has nothing to do with it.

On that note I want to also point out that there is a difference between Guild Navigators and members of the Navigator's Guild. The are boatloads of men who are members of the Guild who are not Navigators but do thousands of other jobs as they huff the Spice Bongs, and then there are a few Guild Navigators who have are literally sitting in tanks of Spice Gas are incredibly old, partially prescient, and mutated as gently caress. When Thufir mentions "3 Navigators" he is talking about the mutated brains up on the ship, while the five dudes witnessing the ceremony are members of the Guild. Their helmets are still full of Spice Gas because they are massive addicts, but they are still human and cannot bend space. In fact, most of the Guild members look human and it's only in the last chapter that one of the Guild members looses his contact lens that you can see that they have blazing blue eyes just like the Fremen.

EDIT: I want to correct my above post. They aren't even called the Navigator's Guild. They are called the Spacing Guild in the books. The Spacing Guild has Guild Navigators, which is just one of the roles guilds-men play in the process of interstellar space travel.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 23, 2021

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I hope the second one is a break dancing competition, preferably at a ski resort.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I hope the second one is a break dancing competition, preferably at a ski resort.

You'll have to wait until Dune Messiah comes out, in that one the Tleilaxu want to shut down the Fremen community center and turn it into a parking lot and the only way Paul can stop him is to use the Weirding Way to perform the sickest dance moves anyone has ever seen at the dance contest.

It was controversial when it came out in 1969, but then it predicted the entirety of the 80s.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Regarding Jamis, I think Paul hesitated for more than one reason

in his visions Paul saw an alternate future where he was friends with Jamis, so killing him meant that friendship and that branch of time would never happen

Imo that was the only vision that nailed the “golden path” stuff. But maybe because they made it clear immediately afterwards that They don’t all happen

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mennoknight posted:

Great film. I love films. I love Dune the book. The absolute only thing that didn’t mesh with the pictures and sounds that were already in my head were the bagpipes. Come on now.

It was unexpected but when it happened I was like “ohhh water planet always raining I guess they were Scottish”

Also made the Lawrence of Arabia vibes more obvious

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

withak posted:

This was really great IMO. Can't wait for episode 2 to drop next week!

Bad news dude. Dune part II: the Desolation of Paug is cancelled. Good news is Netflix is picking up Muppet Dune but we gotta start from the beginning

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
When he put his hand into the box and started grunting I was waiting for the burning hand, melting hand montages and he just kept grunting and then it cut to a shot of Jessica gagging with more screaming and then back to the room of him grunting and wincing. It felt like 10 minutes of dudes hand in a box pretending to be in pain with no context and then it finally showed his hand turning to ash. I think I watched the Lynch version too much.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay so it’s nagging at me that Villeneuve dressed the Atreides hardware as modern American military imagery. Even the headsets that the passengers wear in the ornithopter look like stuff from 20th century America

Is there a deliberate subtext here.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
there are criticism you can make about the movie, but i can't bring myself to do it. i'm truly a sucker for slow drawn-out shots of absolutely giant spaceships. i had convinced people to shell out more for imax and felt very vindicated. fingers crossed we get a part 2

will note that i was surprised that some lines that i thought were pretty iconic seemed to have been left out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the drawn out shots were nice but not worth losing the airtime that could have been spent on characterization