Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
garth marenghi is apparently real and writing webnovels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
“What’s up, Main?” asked Jake.

Tracy wrinkled her nose. “The one down there chased me around, but then just turned back and ignored me. It was super weird.”

“That is strange,” agreed Jake. “Let’s move.” He jerked his head behind them, and led the way, jumping down from the roof to a parking lot below and adopting an easy jog.

needs more As he rounded the corner, he felt muscular and compact, like corned beef.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
“We can’t let this place become like Mexico,” said Jake. “We don’t have much civilization left as it is.”

that's the purestrain marenghi touch right there.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

90s Cringe Rock posted:

“We can’t let this place become like Mexico,” said Jake. “We don’t have much civilization left as it is.”

that's the purestrain marenghi touch right there.

Blaise Corbin has written quite a few books on KU. Warning, the surgeon general has determined that KU may cause brain worms. Ask your librarian if KU is right for you. Side effects may include stroke.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

You're just jealous he has fourteen novels with hundreds of 4.5+ star ratings each on Amazon.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
it's actually enjoyable to read if you're doing the darkplace voices in your head

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

it's actually enjoyable to read if you're doing the darkplace voices in your head

i couldn't help but do so, yes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I kind of want to read a proglit story titled "Numbers Go Up." I don't know if it'd be funnier if it was written completely seriously or as a parody.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's basically what so I was reincarnated as a farmer is. The worlds magic runs on the same stupid logic as like, d&d munchkin stuff. Like extrapolate the logic of hammer space, but to everything. It even has minimum damage rolls, it's stupid but takes itself very seriously and is better for it. (wizard creates a pocket dimension that only has gravity, no air or terrain, pocket dimensions always warp from one end to the other, so you just infinitely accelerate stuff in it forever and then hit people with it.)

Alternatively there are many stories that are literally just number go up. Azarinth healer especially.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Alternatively there are many stories that are literally just number go up. Azarinth healer especially.

Azarith doesn't just have numbers go up, it has ranks go up too and the numbers start over again!

AH looks like it's wrapping up a major story arc and I'm not sure where the series will go at this point. There's plenty of dangling threads but the Taleen ai/mech army was one of the biggest threats.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

LLSix posted:

I kind of want to read a proglit story titled "Numbers Go Up." I don't know if it'd be funnier if it was written completely seriously or as a parody.

The Salvos guy wrote that for last april fools, iirc. But they deleted it later.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

LLSix posted:

Sounds like a story about a math grad student studying ascending sequences.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
In numberless number-goes-up news, the next Cradle book is out next week and a bunch of the earlier books are currently free on amazon.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Drashin posted:

Separately any good novels that have a strong main character but doesn't realize that what they do is amazing I really like the contrast of having another character think the mc is something like a master mind who thinks 10 steps ahead when in reality they have no idea what they are doing.

i also love this genre, so here's one i haven't seen talked about

I'm the evil lord of an intergalactic empire is a strange case, the title, description and prologue are just nonstop red flags. But then it turns out to be a comedy about someone trying to be a child's idea of an evil tyrant, but it's a grimdark space empire setting so his attempts at being evil instead end up making everyone's lives better and he is seen as an unimpeachable paragon of virtue

it's really stupid, in a good way

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 25, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, there's rising of tanaka. unfortunately, the nicest way i can think of to describe that is 'like eminence in shadow, but despite obviously trying to be funny it absolutely is not'.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Yinlock posted:

i also love this genre, so here's one i haven't seen talked about

I'm the evil lord of an intergalactic empire is a strange case, the title, description and prologue are just nonstop red flags. But then it turns out to be a comedy about someone trying to be a child's idea of an evil tyrant, but it's a grimdark space empire setting so his attempts at being evil instead end up making everyone's lives better and he is seen as an unimpeachable paragon of virtue

it's really stupid, in a good way

I'm gonna try it but the prologue is-
Yeah you were accurate in that it is full of red flags.

Ok i didnt make it past chapter 1 lmao

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 25, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Artificer posted:

I'm gonna try it but the prologue is-
Yeah you were accurate in that it is full of red flags.

Ok i didnt make it past chapter 1 lmao

yeah like i said it's fuckin weird, every single part of that opening chapter is like a personally-delivered letter about how bad this story is going to be, and then it just changes tack entirely into a fairly lighthearted comedy and stays there

maybe it's like those insects that imitate the colors of poisonous ones to ward off predators

e: it's not some masterpiece though so if the insanely dire opening puts you off then that's fair

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 26, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, there's rising of tanaka. unfortunately, the nicest way i can think of to describe that is 'like eminence in shadow, but despite obviously trying to be funny it absolutely is not'.

the imitators(that just ape the premise of the good story but have no fuckin clue what made it good) are always fun. not fun enough to read mind you but just their existence and how they clearly do not get it on any level

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

one punch man ruined an entire generation or webnovel authors

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Thank you for reminding me of eminence, and by extension this incredible sight gag the manga added

I'm giggling all over again.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

That’s fantastic.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

yeah like i said it's fuckin weird, every single part of that opening chapter is like a personally-delivered letter about how bad this story is going to be, and then it just changes tack entirely into a fairly lighthearted comedy and stays there

maybe it's like those insects that imitate the colors of poisonous ones to ward off predators

e: it's not some masterpiece though so if the insanely dire opening puts you off then that's fair

I checked it out too and it's reasonably fun and harmless. Just a solid gag series that's smart enough to keep moving quickly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Jymmybob posted:

I checked it out too and it's reasonably fun and harmless. Just a solid gag series that's smart enough to keep moving quickly.

I’m about 2 volumes in now, and my only real “ugh” complaint is that I really want him to stop comparing women’s underwear to what his ex-wife wore because that was a “joke” that only needed to be done once.

Otherwise it kind of reminds me of Tearmoon Empire where everyone keeps misinterpreting the MC’a selfish actions as having some deeper or more noble meaning.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Worse than tearmoon though.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Nemo2342 posted:

I’m about 2 volumes in now, and my only real “ugh” complaint is that I really want him to stop comparing women’s underwear to what his ex-wife wore because that was a “joke” that only needed to be done once.

Otherwise it kind of reminds me of Tearmoon Empire where everyone keeps misinterpreting the MC’a selfish actions as having some deeper or more noble meaning.

It's inverse Overlord in almost every way too.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jymmybob posted:

volume 7 sucks big-time(just in a "author had a bad plot idea then had to rapidly backtrack it within the span of like 6-7 chapters" way rather than anything Real Bad) but until then yeah it's just dumb fun

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 28, 2021

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ZeusCannon posted:

Worse than tearmoon though.

Fair; Mia’s “I’ve got to stop this so they don’t execute me” shtick is much more endearing than Liam’s “I want to screw everyone over since I got screwed over” shtick. Plus I enjoy the narrator dunking on her.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Nemo2342 posted:

Fair; Mia’s “I’ve got to stop this so they don’t execute me” shtick is much more endearing than Liam’s “I want to screw everyone over since I got screwed over” shtick. Plus I enjoy the narrator dunking on her.

Agreed. The narrator inserts are great.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
If you’re reading Library of Heaven’s Path skip the side stories. They undo a major story point in the stupidest way possible. The author literally said he wrote them because readers cyberbullied him into it. It’s very obvious they were written to shut them up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Huh. I don't think I read them. What do they undo?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sindai posted:

The protagonist didn't have a harem and was basically only interested in one girl throughout the entire series. The side-story has him hook up with one of the princesses that was stalking him basically out of pity and at the behest of his now wife.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sindai posted:

Finale spoiler!
During Luo Rouxin and Zhang Xuan’s wedding Rouxin’s dad spots Qiqi and asks her if she still had hope of being with Zhang. She says yes. He then wraps her in a wedding dress and adds her to the wedding. Zhang doesn’t mind because apparently the Library was suppressing his heart before so he was only able to love Rouxin. Now that the Library was returned he is ok with it because all the two-souls-never-to-separate stuff was fake anyways apparently. Rouxin doesn’t even get a reaction shot because the author couldn’t be assed (he was forced to write it).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Admittedly, the romance with the main chick wasn't exactly well developed either. "Oh I just saw you, mysterious attractive girl! I am super in love with you now! We are destined to be together!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, she was literally the only woman he met who didn't need his help as a teacher. god, there were like four or five different stalker princesses, right?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Let's just say I didn't read that series for the romance, haha.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Megazver posted:

Let's just say I didn't read that series for the romance, haha.

Me neither but it still takes away from the character and also renders that big awkward event (you know the one) pointless.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Should have just hooked her up with his clone.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Should have just hooked her up with his clone.

The chad clone would hook up with the main chick, he'd be sad-boning one of the stalker princesses.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Megazver posted:

The chad clone would hook up with the main chick, he'd be sad-boning one of the stalker princesses.

Web Novel megathread: he'd be sad-boning one of the stalker princesses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao

quote:

At this moment, a monster with the upper body of a human and the lower body of a horse roared and suddenly appeared from the forest. It had a disdainful expression and said disdainfully,

“Ignorant human.”

“Another delicacy has arrived!”

McRae, who had discovered the orc in advance, took a step back and commanded calmly, “It’s the orc!