Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Interested in getting into VR. Only prior experience I have is trying out my friend's PSVR a few years back, which I enjoyed a lot. I'm looking at getting an Index. I have a GTX 1660 Super, new MoBo with WiFi 6 and an AMD Ryzen 7. Will that rig be able to handle PCVR games? I've passed all the VR Check software poo poo I can find but don't really wanna drop a grand on this and have my rig be chugging like crazy all the time. I'm mainly interested in VRChat, watching movies, and virtual desktop applications. Don't care about RE4, but would like to give some games a shot (Fallout 4 VR, Star Trek Bridge Crew, No Man's Sky, Project Cars are on my list as of now). How am I looking?

Itll run.
Expect to turn down some graphics stuff in some games. Expect to turn down steamvrs supersample under 100% in crazy poo poo.

Mind you, you're scraping the barrel here but unless you're anal af about graphic fidelity you can turn poo poo down and enjoy yourself easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Interested in getting into VR. Only prior experience I have is trying out my friend's PSVR a few years back, which I enjoyed a lot. I'm looking at getting an Index. I have a GTX 1660 Super, new MoBo with WiFi 6 and an AMD Ryzen 7. Will that rig be able to handle PCVR games? I've passed all the VR Check software poo poo I can find but don't really wanna drop a grand on this and have my rig be chugging like crazy all the time. I'm mainly interested in VRChat, watching movies, and virtual desktop applications. Don't care about RE4, but would like to give some games a shot (Fallout 4 VR, Star Trek Bridge Crew, No Man's Sky, Project Cars are on my list as of now). How am I looking?

I would say no. Not with that gpu. When I buy whatever new hardware, I expect to enjoy it as a quality experience on the year I buy it, and then over the next three years go steadily lowering the graphics settings. In your case, you can't even max games from two years ago, like Asgard Wrath or Stormland.
I don't think you can play Fallout 4 VR at 100% resolution/90hz with the gtx 1660. Same with NMS.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Kind of what I feared there. Thank you guys. Might just be patient and wait for the GPU market to unfuck itself, or for better VR options to come out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
You can definitely use VR with a GTX 1660 but you'd have to stick to less demanding games.
VRChat would probably be perfectly fine but unfortunately none of other games you mentioned will probably work well. Although many of the bets VR games would have no issue, I reckon. Stuff like Beat Saber, SUPERHOT and Pistol Whip would run on that with no issues.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Stuff like Beat Saber, SUPERHOT and Pistol Whip would run on that with no issues.

If you're mainly gonna play these though you'd be better off just getting a quest, less hassle to set up and cheaper.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

GTO posted:

If you're mainly gonna play these though you'd be better off just getting a quest, less hassle to set up and cheaper.

Fair point but on the other hand, Facebook.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah I'm torn on the Quest. Love the price, hate Facebook and am worried about the lack of IPD slider.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'll dissent here and say it'll run most VR stuff with compromises. I did PC VR to my Quest 2 using a 1060 6GB for a few months and it ran things like Beat Saber, Surgeon Simulator, Borderlands 2 VR, Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect etc just fine. HL Alyx worked but required all the settings at minimum, and NMS was a bit of a buggy mess.

You can do PCVR on older hardware, it'll be something of a compromise but rarely one that undermines the experience altogether. That said when I upgraded to a 3070 I definitely saw the difference.

edit: beaten but yeah

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Put in an order for the Varjo Aero. We'll see how much of a difference it is between it and the Index in 12-16 weeks.

My wife plays Rec Room a lot on her Quest 2 and when her sister came over, she used my Index with my PC and her sister used her Quest 2. The Index ruined the Quest 2 for my wife (her own words) in two specific ways, the graphical benefit with Rec Room PC and the hand tracking via lighthouses. She plays the paintball and laser tag a ton, and her score is dramatically higher with the Index and lighthouses vs. the Quest 2, because of the fidelity of the hand tracking. So, the Index will move out to the living room being replaced by the Vero, and then she can, I dunno, get into competitive paintball leagues on Rec Room.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Fair point but on the other hand, Facebook.

I stopped using Facebook about 10 years ago and never post, read or even log in so it's no biggie for me to use my old account as my Quest login.

In terms of de-facebooking my life WhatsApp is a far bigger issue as almost everyone uses that and it hard to persuade people to move to Signal.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

What's the best zombie shooter out right now? My partner's son is getting an Oculus for his birthday so I'm looking looking a game to go with it. He's 12, violence is fine just no Saw-tier torture stuff or sex scenes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I ran VR on a Ryzen 1600 and GTX 1060 just fine, it even did Alyx without issue (on low settings, but low in a modern game is basically the same as high with some vfx downgrades). Where it fell over was a pretty complex VRChat world with 40 people, but that was fixed by upgrading the CPU to a 5600X.

It isn't the GPU that'll bottleneck you, it's the CPU - VR does a lot of physics stuff, which is all handled by the CPU. You won't run the headset quite at full resolution on a GTX 1660, but it took me a while to get a new GPU after getting the new CPU and I didn't have a single performance issue in the meantime, just a slightly lower resolution.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My first VR setup was an FX-6300 and a 1060 and that managed to run Project Cars without breaking a sweat, a Ryzen and 1660 will have no trouble at all with that one in particular. It is an 8 year old game now.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

roomtone posted:

Thanks. And is there any kind of non-facebook/non-account linked alternative that is as good as the quest 2?

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Yeah I'm torn on the Quest. Love the price, hate Facebook and am worried about the lack of IPD slider.

If you don't mind until April, there's a $500 anti-facebook Quest competitor called the Lynx R1. Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stanlarroque/lynx

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

pandy fackler posted:

What's the best zombie shooter out right now? My partner's son is getting an Oculus for his birthday so I'm looking looking a game to go with it. He's 12, violence is fine just no Saw-tier torture stuff or sex scenes.

Resident Evil 4 just came out and it is pretty darn good.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that latest NMS is very demanding, but you can use steamre/depot to go back to an earlier version and it helps a lot.

I played it with 1050 but I had to do the above, turn down settings ludicrously and install potato-mode mods.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

pandy fackler posted:

Walking dead saints and sinners is really good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to do elite dangerous VR on both the monoculus rift and a rift CV1 with an amd fx-8350 and a 1050ti

It can be done

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
PC VR is doable on a lower end gaming laptop. When I upgraded a Quest 2 I handed down my CV1 to my son with a gaming laptop with with a Ryzen 5, GTX 1650 and 16GB of Ram that we bought as a refurbished unit for less than a $1000 AUD when he started Uni at the start of the year, and he's quite happily playing Super Hot and American Truck Simulator. It ain't pretty but it's doable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I ran VR on a Ryzen 1600 and GTX 1060 just fine, it even did Alyx without issue (on low settings, but low in a modern game is basically the same as high with some vfx downgrades). Where it fell over was a pretty complex VRChat world with 40 people, but that was fixed by upgrading the CPU to a 5600X.

It isn't the GPU that'll bottleneck you, it's the CPU - VR does a lot of physics stuff, which is all handled by the CPU. You won't run the headset quite at full resolution on a GTX 1660, but it took me a while to get a new GPU after getting the new CPU and I didn't have a single performance issue in the meantime, just a slightly lower resolution.

The thing you need to remember with VRChat is it's literally ALL user-made content and gently caress-all people know how to actually optimize their creations properly. You need a decent PC to get a stable framerate consistently in VRChat, and even then it's gonna dip in some worlds.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Hold off on a Quest for a minute or two longer. There should be a slew of used Q2s coming on the market after Connect next week so hopefully that’ll drive the price down some.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It tracks your calories burn, yeah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

marumaru posted:

S&S is one of the best game-games for VR, right up there with Alyx. i really with there was more like it.

As soon as I understood the potential of having tracked hands in VR I figured immersive sims (my favourite!) would be a genre that'd greatly benefit from unravelling the rather stodgy, shooter focused mechanics that are often associated with it. Once I read that Saints & Sinners was One Of Those, I jumped on it. It wasn't a massive production and it's scope was limited, but it's still one of the most impressive VR games in terms of world and object interaction and how much it does to help the player get immersed in it.

There's an official System Shock 2 VR port coming which should be fun, at least!

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 24, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
A friend who doesn't play any video games wanted to try VR tonight, so I set him loose in Alyx to see how intuitive the game can be for someone who's brain isn't wired to game logic. It was super fun watching him play. He got the hang of picking stuff up with the gravity gloves way sooner than I did and mostly had a clear idea of what he was supposed to do next as he went through the story. He did have a hard time with buttons on walls and consoles for some reason. Every time he got in an elevator, it looked like this:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Payday 2 is still remarkably good in VR. Considering that it's a flat game that much later added VR support it's astonishingly well done.

And there's heaps of content since it's not only targeted at the teeny weeny VR market. And crossplay works great, (except for a tendency of people to have voice chat turned off).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
https://twitter.com/adrianhon/status/1451570322956771333

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Hyperlynx posted:

Payday 2 is still remarkably good in VR. Considering that it's a flat game that much later added VR support it's astonishingly well done.

And there's heaps of content since it's not only targeted at the teeny weeny VR market. And crossplay works great, (except for a tendency of people to have voice chat turned off).

Payday 2 is real good in VR I just wish that their engine wasn't so shittily optimized.

I can run Alyx on max settings with rock solid framerates but Payday 2 constantly triggers ASW which is very annoying.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Payday 2 is real good in VR I just wish that their engine wasn't so shittily optimized.

I can run Alyx on max settings with rock solid framerates but Payday 2 constantly triggers ASW which is very annoying.

Huh. I haven't noticed any problems myself

Edit: meanwhile, I've been spoilt by the control scheme of Payday 2, Compound and Alyx. I've just grabbed hot shoes hand dogs and horse grenades, and the controls make me want to pull my ears off in frustration. Though I think some of the custom schemes on the workshop are less aggravating.

It's still doing that thing that Zero Calibre also did, that I hated, where if I have my left hand loose by my side and push the stick forward it moves me backwards...

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 24, 2021

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

New thread title.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hyperlynx posted:

It's still doing that thing that Zero Calibre also did, that I hated, where if I have my left hand loose by my side and push the stick forward it moves me backwards...

Sounds like you prefer head oriented movement. A lot of people do, specifically for things like ROR2 which are fast paced. But in my opinion, if you're able to negotiate the need to orient the stick differently as you move your hand, hand-oriented is better. Only way you can run one way and look/shoot another which for me is a bit part of what makes VR shooters more immersive/realistic

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
btw finished the lake boss battle in resident evil 4 and put it down for the night. and I'm... LESS THAN A FIFTH OF THE WAY THROUGH THE GAME?

this loving rules so hard. I hope armature starts making more of these. I want Resi 5. I want Metal Gear Solid 2. I want Deus Ex Human Revolution. I want Syphon Filter, I want Splinter Cell, Dead Space. So many awesome third person games that would work so well with this kind of well made conversion.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The Walrus posted:

btw finished the lake boss battle in resident evil 4 and put it down for the night. and I'm... LESS THAN A FIFTH OF THE WAY THROUGH THE GAME?

this loving rules so hard. I hope armature starts making more of these. I want Resi 5. I want Metal Gear Solid 2. I want Deus Ex Human Revolution. I want Syphon Filter, I want Splinter Cell, Dead Space. So many awesome third person games that would work so well with this kind of well made conversion.

I really hope that Hitman VR manages to make it to PC, that kind of sandbox gameplay seems soooo perfect for VR. Don't think the quest will ever run that one though, of course.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

pandy fackler posted:

Propogation is real good and free. It may be too scary for a 12 year old. It freaks me out and I'm supposedly an adult.

Being free it's not an ideal gift, but you could point it towards them as well if you think its appropriate.

It's on Steam so I assume it's on Oculus as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LLSix posted:

Propogation is real good and free. It may be too scary for a 12 year old. It freaks me out and I'm supposedly an adult.

Being free it's not an ideal gift, but you could point it towards them as well if you think its appropriate.

It's on Steam so I assume it's on Oculus as well.

He didn't especify, buy I guess 'a Oculus' is a Quest 2. He didn't say he has a gaming computer.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems next week we will have more news about FB than they intended with FB connect
https://apnews.com/hub/the-facebook-papers?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Goodguy3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdPdxXsgI9c

Blade & Sorcery getting dungeons on Sunday. Who knows about AI that can actually hit you though.

The full news
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/629730/view/3064129529105115254

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Can confirm RE4 VR is great. There have been some funny choices made. For instance, if you get your hands too close to Ashley they just wink out of existence until you pull them back. Groping attempt detected, hands revoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Are any of you guys playing space pirate trainer arena?

I got access to a gym yesterday and found out it's pretty hard to make the guardian that big for the game. Is there a way to just make it automatically max size without having to walk around trying to draw an exact giant square?