Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/10/new-2022-range-rover-leaked-ahead-of-next-weeks-reveal/

What do people think to the new FF RR? Interested to hear some opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My thought is that I don't understand why people write articles and include Instagram posts:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bape Culture posted:

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/10/new-2022-range-rover-leaked-ahead-of-next-weeks-reveal/

It's a new Range Rover which only just looks different from the last dozen Range Rovers by them changing the rear end. I expect a few of the others to get similar treatments and then it'll just look the same as the others again.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Dumb question time. Has any automaker ever considered offering ICE/hybrid rental vehicles (or future longer-range EVs) as part of a buying an EV in an effort to combat range anxiety? That Mazda SUV that has like 60 miles of range would be the best example. Side effect: consistently getting customers seat time in your new products.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

Dumb question time. Has any automaker ever considered offering ICE/hybrid rental vehicles (or future longer-range EVs) as part of a buying an EV in an effort to combat range anxiety? That Mazda SUV that has like 60 miles of range would be the best example. Side effect: consistently getting customers seat time in your new products.

I seem to recall BMW did this for owners of i3s. They could request rental of an ICE car for occasional long journeys.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Nissan had something like that when the Leaf first came out.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was going to say "Why does this supposedly cheap car not have ACC for less than $26k" but apparently you can option that on the base mode with a $540 tech package?

Nope, you need to get the Lariat trim and Luxury Package for Adaptive Cruise. CoPilot 360 primarily just gets you blind spot monitoring and lower tier lane-keeping (Lariat Luxury gets proper centering). Also for the XL you need CoPilot to even option a sliding rear window but it does give electric adjust mirrors instead of manual.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PBCrunch posted:

Yeah Mazda is doing that. You get a week or two with any vehicle

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

darnon posted:

Nope, you need to get the Lariat trim and Luxury Package for Adaptive Cruise. CoPilot 360 primarily just gets you blind spot monitoring and lower tier lane-keeping (Lariat Luxury gets proper centering). Also for the XL you need CoPilot to even option a sliding rear window but it does give electric adjust mirrors instead of manual.

Not being able to combine ACC and cloth seats is bothering me, but I've got years and years (before I buy a later-than-first-year model used) to get over it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Sab669 posted:

My thought is that I don't understand why people write articles and include Instagram posts:

Not your adblocker doing that? There are other reasons inline quoting outside sources you don't control is a bad idea, but that looks like what many adblockers with "block social media" options do.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, I guess it must be Facebook container, I forget FB owns IG, but I thought I also read a news article some time ago about them blocking embedded posts in other sites and just always assumed it was that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

As someone who test drove an RS5 and a C63s and then bought an M4C, I can confidently say that the BMW is more fun than the Audi by a large margin. The Audi felt like IBM execs from the late 80s built it. The BMWs biggest problem is that it will absolutely get me sent to jail some day.
That's the RS5's thing. During it's reveal, Audi execs said it was designed as GT car, not a track car. You can take it to the track and it'll be fine but that wasn't its design objective.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I really want to try the e-tron GT to see how they've changed how it drives. It must be a weird job for an engineer to deliberately make a car more boring.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My S5 Sportback is perfect gently caress da haters

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sab669 posted:

So they can put in as little effort as possible

Bape Culture posted:

Toorak tractors need to die.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

My S5 Sportback is perfect gently caress da haters

Right? People want too much, man. I hope I can afford it someday. It's close to as perfect of a vehicle as you can get (cost excepted) unless you want a family or goods hauler.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

got off on a technicality posted:

What I find fun, with my TTRS - same as with the S4 and RS5 and so on - is that sense of complete competence, of easy mode/god mode for the street. Is it rewarding in the way your M4 is, or even my 993? No, but sometimes that feeling hits the spot :shrug:

How livable is your TTRS? Is it comfortable as a daily driver at all?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Inner Light posted:

Right? People want too much, man. I hope I can afford it someday. It's close to as perfect of a vehicle as you can get (cost excepted) unless you want a family or goods hauler.

People want different things out of cars and the S5 (like most sporty audis) is extremely competent but the lack of rough edges can make it feel somewhat sterile. Some people like that, some people find it boring.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How livable is your TTRS? Is it comfortable as a daily driver at all?

I leave the suspension and steering on comfort, the engine/transmission in dynamic, and am happy to commute/run errands in it all day long. That plus flat load floor = great daily so long as you don't need back seats. Ride would be a bit less jiggly if I had 19s instead of 20s but they removed that option for MY2021. It's the only niggle I have

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

got off on a technicality posted:

I leave the suspension and steering on comfort, the engine/transmission in dynamic, and am happy to commute/run errands in it all day long. That plus flat load floor = great daily so long as you don't need back seats. Ride would be a bit less jiggly if I had 19s instead of 20s but they removed that option for MY2021. It's the only niggle I have
Adjustable suspension implies you didn’t go with the traditional mechanical-only option, then? Good to know, since I think that applies to the TTS and base model. Right?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Adjustable suspension implies you didn’t go with the traditional mechanical-only option, then? Good to know, since I think that applies to the TTS and base model. Right?

They radically cut down the option list for 2021 so North America is electronic dampers only for the RS. Not sure how that works with the TTS/base. FWIW I rented the base in base spec years ago and found it a tad firm though not harsh

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My previous car was a 2016 TTS, I really liked it. TTS comes with the adjustable damping and DCT as well, I thought the ride was pretty firm even on smooth Swiss roads. Autoroute expansion joints would give a decent jolt through the cabin.

As long as you don't need back seats the practicality is pretty good with the big hatch at the back. Coped well with mountains and snow too. I'm sure a TTRS would be great.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My sister has a TTRS that she dailies and she really likes it. She keeps the rear seats folded down so the cargo space is pretty decent for a car its size.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 22, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

People want different things out of cars and the S5 (like most sporty audis) is extremely competent but the lack of rough edges can make it feel somewhat sterile. Some people like that, some people find it boring.

Sure, but as far as I can tell what people actually mean here is, "LOL, look I can break the rear end loose on a turn!". In college I had a de-policed crown vic that could do this, would do this whether you wanted it to or not, and it's not fun and exciting it's just lovely driving.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There is a difference between a car that has a good balance and gives you a little controllable oversteer when you push it and a car that just slides around like a sloppy mess.

And "doesn't oversteer" is not what makes Audis boring. The real list of reasons are:

- Lack of steering feel
- Ride too soft, even in sport
- Boring black interior
- Extremely quiet inside, again even in sport
- Tiny sad flappy paddles that belong on a Corolla

I would say something about the engine and power delivery itself, but I honestly can't remember anything about it. I drove an RS5 in anger literally 6 months ago and I can't remember anything notable about the engine. That's bad. It just failed to leave any kind of impression.

The AMG and M competition at least try to come off as cars that want to go fast. You get in one and you immediately know what the car is about. An RS is just missing that.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I don’t know if you’ve driven an RS3 before but it may change your mind. The turbo 5 in there is nothing but memorable and it feels insanely agile due to its size. The sound is super unique if you open up the valves and you constantly want to push it to redline. The engine will happily do this all day and is a real joy to work with. The small amount of turbo lag can be annoying if you’re not into it, but I’ve driven turbo Subarus for the last decade so it’s part of the fun for me - that feeling of anticipation and intake noises never gets old.

Steering feel is not the greatest I’ll admit, but the M2 I drove was also kind of lovely so it’s a wash. I also exclusively set the suspension to comfort mode because it’s uh pretty stiff in dynamic.

As far as the interior, it’s very business like and functional and I personally actually prefer it to BMWs although I haven’t been in the newest gen yet. Audi electronics are fantastic too, everything feels super snappy and responsive.

It is front biased, so at the limits you’ll experience under steer but you can counter this with weight transfer and brake inputs to get the car to rotate. Supposedly the newer RS3 rotates much easier too. I cross shopped it with M2/M3s and as a package, the RS3 felt like the best fit. It also helps that you barely see them on the road atleast in America; it feels unique and I can satisfy my craving to drive a 5 cyl Audi Group B car

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:lol: Gandini issues a press release to make sure people understand he had nothing to do with the new Countach.

https://twitter.com/drewdraws2/status/1451556944251076661?s=20

quote:

I have built my identity as a designer, especially when working on supercars for Lamborghini, on a unique concept: each new model I would work on would be an innovation, a breaker, something completely different from the previous one. Courage, the ability to create a break without sticking to the success of the previous car, the confidence in not wanting to give into habit were the very essence of my work. It is clear that markets and marketing itself has changed a lot since then, but as far as I am concerned, to repeat a model of the past, represents in my opinion the negation of the founding principles of my DNA

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It feels like a golf to me.
But 5 cylinders are neat.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 22, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I feel like an RS3 would just compete with my FoRS for my time and I'm already planning on putting a harness bar and oil cooler in the latter. Other than the (admittedly cool) 5 cyl, I'm not sure what it would get me over the Focus. I needed something bigger/more lux for daily duties and the M4 trounced the RS5 for me. An RS6 would be cool because hilarious wagons are always good, but if I had that kind of money I'd be looking at Porsches.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 22, 2021

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It is p much a fast golf that makes Chewbacca noises. Without the 5 cyl, I would have never considered it tbh

There’s another poster here with a green RS3 on proper wheel that looks absolutely stunning though

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

- Tiny sad flappy paddles that belong on a Corolla
the flappy paddles in my Huracan were massive metal numbers almost sharp enough to slice one’s fingers open on. They were super cool to look at and use for the first few months but in the end I preferred the dinky plastic ones on my Audi, which were infinitely more comfortable (and rotated with the wheel!)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Column mount flappy paddles are optimal because you can shift and make a sharp turn at the same time. Of all the ones I've tried, I like Aston Martin's the best.

They're leather-wrapped magnesium and very satisfying to clunk.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
How well do the paddle shifter extensions work on VAG cars? I see them for sale all over the place.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pre facelift auto e9x BMWs had the best shifters ever and I hate that they stopped using them so quickly.

Both can shift up and down. You put your fingers behind the wheel on them, and your thumb on the silver part on the front, so you can shift up/down with one hand. Push with thumb to shift down, pull with fingers to shift up, which is optimal for the street when you're cruising around.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

What if there were some kind of automatic that only put power to the transmission when the driver wants it? And they could use something to select which gear they want, without having to go through them linearly....

*reinvents the manual gearbox with 1000% more complexity*

Introducing the new Tesla cyberbox! To change gears yourself, simply keep your fingers on these 2 capacitive buttons on the front of the steering wheel, go to the transmissions settings submenu on the center console, and select the gear you'd like! Finally, harnessing the true potential of your cars awesome power is at your fingertips.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

just attach a numpad to the console and/or steering wheel

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Wheeee posted:

just attach a numpad to the console and/or steering wheel

Rotary phone dial from the 1980's to select a gear.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
*please select all images with a traffic light to shift to second gear*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It's going to turn out that Teslas entire autopilot recognition is based on captcha and they keep hitting emergency vehicles because 15 years ago someone selected the wrong boxes.