Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I feel like "good" game review tends to come down to if you like the reviewer's tastes more than employer, but Polygon has had some real mixed bag poo poo under their banner. I believe the "I couldn't read a map and threw a tantrum and didn't finish the game" Nier review was them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh, that's a classic!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

secretly best girl posted:

I feel like "good" game review tends to come down to if you like the reviewer's tastes more than employer, but Polygon has had some real mixed bag poo poo under their banner. I believe the "I couldn't read a map and threw a tantrum and didn't finish the game" Nier review was them.

That was Justin McElroy lol

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's probably very fair to mention Persona because it's a more popular series but man the polygon preview has like one paragraph that doesn't mention Persona. I hope they end up enjoying it though!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tired Moritz posted:

isn't polygon one of the good game review sites?

No such thing.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

There are no good review sites as a whole, just good individual reviewers who may work for said site

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think RPGfan does good work

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's a funny preview because they spend most of it talking up how different the game is from 5, the Persona game with the most mainline mechanics and ideas in it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

God no

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RubberLuffy posted:

Previews for V are going up across the internet. Really positive stuff I'm seeing.

Except for Polygon who spends chunks of the preview just wishing they were playing Persona instead.

Good, I'm glad that this game is not acting as a Persona substitute to those who wish it were.

Belan
May 7, 2007
Coming soon to a review site near you:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm going to develop an unhealthy parasocial relationship with the game previews.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tired Moritz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I find that Polygon is typically good for reviewing everything outside of the 'middle of the road'. If there's a huge hype machine for something they're typically an early outlet getting off of it to speak to actual problems, and they'll talk about smaller indie stuff than most others. But when they hit up something that isn't either the big names or the stuff so niche you'd never hear about it otherwise, they struggle.

I'll always defend them for that Doom 2016 first look, though, they were falling victim to Doom 2016 actually having a pretty bad approach to designing the very first rooms. Everyone knows that the first few minutes of a game are filled with those initial 'okay what buttons do what, is the Y axis inverted, are the settings right', and Doom 2016 ruins that by putting you up against enemies in the very first second (even the original Doom doesn't do that). I can recognize all the stresses that video producer is going through without hearing a word from them; they're being forced to do their best in putting on a show without having a moment to acclimate to the controls or the game's overall design direction, of course they hosed up! Small wonder why they moved away from the 'first look' videos.

(No excuse for the Cuphead video.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

I'll always defend them for that Doom 2016 first look, though, they were falling victim to Doom 2016 actually having a pretty bad approach to designing the very first rooms. Everyone knows that the first few minutes of a game are filled with those initial 'okay what buttons do what, is the Y axis inverted, are the settings right', and Doom 2016 ruins that by putting you up against enemies in the very first second (even the original Doom doesn't do that). I can recognize all the stresses that video producer is going through without hearing a word from them; they're being forced to do their best in putting on a show without having a moment to acclimate to the controls or the game's overall design direction, of course they hosed up! Small wonder why they moved away from the 'first look' videos.

This would be a valid point if like....this happened to anyone else. Instead you pick up and move and do the same poo poo you've done in 100 fps's over the last decade.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

Good, I'm glad that this game is not acting as a Persona substitute to those who wish it were.

:same:

Some of the trailers made it seem like the story was going to have alot of shift toward warming persona people up to smt. And I just really don't want the 2 to become too similar. I only get a mainline game once every 100 years decade or so. Just let me have them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Persona is for making friends and Shin Megami Tensei is for un-making them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, you can usually count on one person to follow you always. Remember Heroine from the first game? Loyal no matter what route.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Junpei posted:

Hey, you can usually count on one person to follow you always. Remember Heroine from the first game? Loyal no matter what route.

There were always three heros.

Law Hero
Neutral Hero
Chaos hero

Of the three the Law and Chaos heroes always leave regardless of your route because they are always too extreme in their worldviews and always see the Hero as too nice or soft.

The one who never leaves is the Neutral Hero, who's always the Heroine. SMT IV shook that up by making the Neutral Hero an actual Hero and one willing to fight the Law/Chaos aligned Hero because she wants to save everyone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean SMTII shook it up by killing the Heroine, and not having a law or chaos hero

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Aogami is the loyal heroine of SMT5

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

lol like clockwork. Also why on earth would you ever need notes for royal? everything is in game!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SMT fans will get mad over any mention of Persona, but the funny part to me is that they're calling it easier and more accessible because you only have the combat element to worry instead of having to juggle that with another genre's worth of mechanics, regardless of differences in combat difficulty.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean SMTII shook it up by killing the Heroine, and not having a law or chaos hero

They kinda did, but the Chaos/Law Hero was the same character, and there were two Heroines (the first one was a Law Heroine) I will admit that SMTII shook the entire meta setup about the various heros on it's head with a rival Neutral Hero and Two heroines, and one Law/Chaos Hero. But than again SMT II also had some of the best writing in the series for a SNES game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Keep track of relationships? I don’t nderstsnd it can only go one way

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DrManiac posted:

lol like clockwork. Also why on earth would you ever need notes for royal? everything is in game!

Fusion stuff I could see, but that'd be something that carries into SMTV, so it can't be that. Maps, and maybe scheduling? I don't recall P5 being as brutal about schedules as 4 or (especially) 3, but I could see someone getting pedantic about that.

The fact they kept talking about specifically P5R shows that was their entry point to the series, and I could see someone who doesn't know a lot of the real-world stuff is pretty unimportant and undemanding getting overwhelmed and perhaps deciding 'people say the Persona games are hard, this must be the hard part'.

EDIT: Actually, I bet I know what it was. I bet it was a 'will this be on the test' mentality with the class questions.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Motto posted:

SMT fans will get mad over any mention of Persona, but the funny part to me is that they're calling it easier and more accessible because you only have the combat element to worry instead of having to juggle that with another genre's worth of mechanics, regardless of differences in combat difficulty.

The real kicker with the Polygon article is the entire article is only 8 paragraphs long, yet has the following stats:
  • 2 of the paragraphs talking more about P5R than SMT 5
  • 2 other paragraphs reference P5R
  • 3 mention Persona
There is literally only a single paragraph where they didn't bring up Persona LOL.

Edit: I forgot that Persona is also in the article title as well.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Well yeah, it's an article by and targeted at Persona fans interested in SMT.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

An article about a game coming out soon should probably primarily be about that game instead of some other one hth

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Motto posted:

Well yeah, it's an article by and targeted at Persona fans interested in SMT.

The problem is that the preview doesn't really feel written for that purpose, or at least, not exclusively. Like, the start is:

polygon posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 5 is the latest entry in Atlus’ JRPG series where you fight and recruit demons. The franchise is known for a complex turn-based combat system where you’re able to negotiate with your foes — just like in Atlus’ other series, Persona. SMT5 starts when a stoic, bookish high schooler gets suddenly transported to a post-apocalyptic Tokyo and fuses with a demon to fight off monsters crawling across the city.

I’ve had my eye on the Shin Megami Tensei series for a while now. Persona 5 Royal, which has a lot in common with SMT, became a staple of my early pandemic days. I also knew that the series inspired the cult indie of a generation, Undertale. So when I saw both the remake, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, and a new title, I decided it was finally time for me to sink my teeth into the series. I played a preview of the game on my Switch, which covered the first few hours of the game. While I spent the game fighting and training my monsters, I found myself missing some of the more social aspects of Atlus’ other games.

It feels like it wants to be a more objective statement of facts from the opening paragraph. Some basic editing would fix this. Compare it with the article with the following possible start:

polygon posted:

I’ve had my eye on the Shin Megami Tensei series for a while now. Persona 5 Royal, which has a lot in common with SMT, became a staple of my early pandemic days. I also knew that the series inspired the cult indie of a generation, Undertale. So when I saw both the remake, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, and the new upcoming Shin Megami Tensei 5, I decided it was finally time for me to sink my teeth into the series.

Shin Megami Tensei 5, which is due to be released on Nobember 11th, like Persona, has you fighting and recruiting demons. The franchise is known for a complex turn-based combat system where you’re able to negotiate with your foes. SMT5 starts when a stoic, bookish high schooler gets suddenly transported to a post-apocalyptic Tokyo and fuses with a demon to fight off monsters crawling across the city.

I played a preview of the game on my Switch, which covered the first few hours of the game. While I spent the game fighting and training my monsters, I found myself missing some of the more social aspects of Atlus’ other games. [insert rest of the article is as follows]

The original version makes it sound more like a description from a preview while the latter start makes it clear that it is someone that just wants to talk about their experiences with this game as a Persona fan. Both intros can be fine, but expectations for the articles that follow from the first paragraph are drastically different.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cdyoung posted:

They kinda did, but the Chaos/Law Hero was the same character, and there were two Heroines (the first one was a Law Heroine) I will admit that SMTII shook the entire meta setup about the various heros on it's head with a rival Neutral Hero and Two heroines, and one Law/Chaos Hero. But than again SMT II also had some of the best writing in the series for a SNES game.

I honestly wouldn't consider Zayin to be either Law or Chaos hero, he's more in the position of Thorman or Gotou. And Daleth is such a loving joke that I can't in good conscious consider him a Hero. Thinking about it, I think you could really do some thinking about how the whole project the center was doing was a total failure. Daleth I guess does his job, Zain is taken over by Satan, Beth is killed unexpectedly defending a false Messiah instead of the created messiah, and what the fucks his name get's owned in his VR world. And really the end is the son confronting his father, YHVH, with only his mother as support. Something to consider I guess.

What I'm saying is SMTII owns bones and people should play it

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Honestly, the only line from the Polygon review that I found really objectionable is this one

Ana Diaz posted:

Despite these initial differences, a lot of the actual play feels familiar to other Atlus games. Much of the battle mechanics largely remain the same — jumping in, I see a recognizable cast of monsters like Pixie (a fairy who has healing powers) and Slime (a giant pile of slime).

I know it's popular to dunk on games journalists, but it's a decent preview for people who haven't played a mainline SMT game before. For the experts in the thread, it's useless, but there are others like this one that are more helpful

https://themakoreactor.com/features/shin-megami-tensei-v-preview-english-gameplay-nintendo-switch-docked-handheld-abscess-soundtrack/30952/.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

God who cares what Polygon wrote

Here's one from Easy Allies, watch that instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ShgWg7eJ4o

I think I'm overly excited for collectables in the overworld when the movement looks pretty good.

I'm wondering if I'll play this on hard though or not from the get go.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KonvexKonkav posted:

Honestly, the only line from the Polygon review that I found really objectionable is this one

I know it's popular to dunk on games journalists, but it's a decent preview for people who haven't played a mainline SMT game before. For the experts in the thread, it's useless, but there are others like this one that are more helpful

https://themakoreactor.com/features/shin-megami-tensei-v-preview-english-gameplay-nintendo-switch-docked-handheld-abscess-soundtrack/30952/.

Next thing you know there will be multiple derivatives of Jack Frost. So lazy on Atlus' part. [/sarcasm]

I don't think SMT fans are mad about this like they were about (I think) that SMTIV review that called it the Dark Souls of the Persona series or whatever. I see more sardonic amusement at the dumb plebs, which is the correct response. It's a reviewer who did a bad review, not a rando Persona fan or something. Nothing wrong with picking on people who deserve it, IMO.

In any event, I don't read reviews or watch trailers. I'll make up my own mind when it comes out. Only a few more weeks!

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 26, 2021

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think my only fear so far is the soundtrack. Nothing I’ve heard so far is a banger which is disappointing when 4’s was so goddamn amazing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tbh nothing was as cool as the teasers for IV opening with remixes of I II and III before dropping it's own sick rear end Intro theme

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Golden Goat posted:

God who cares what Polygon wrote

Here's one from Easy Allies, watch that instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ShgWg7eJ4o

I think I'm overly excited for collectables in the overworld when the movement looks pretty good.

I'm wondering if I'll play this on hard though or not from the get go.

drat i can't wait for this loving game!!!!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh I didn't know smirk was removed. I never really liked smirk as a mechanic so good.

Pretty much all the previews are saying that the negotiation system is still as random as ever which you know what good, it'll make for some dumb stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

Oh I didn't know smirk was removed. I never really liked smirk as a mechanic so good.

Pretty much all the previews are saying that the negotiation system is still as random as ever which you know what good, it'll make for some dumb stories.

4 was less harsh than 3 even if still random. I feel like you can be random without being overly harsh

Agreed on smirk, press turn was enough advantage a smirk turned it into an immediate battle ender