Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
"why is this page black?"

in the first year i could connect to the web at my house, 1996, every site i cared to visit outside of yahoo had a black background and the above slogan due to something that Clinton had helped pass. looking it up now, maybe it was the Communications Decency Act? i'm not american but got angry on behalf of the internationalist internet

those sites were all probably in an anti censorship web ring. i can't find any now though.

what a waste of time for both sides of that argument, considering how hosed the web is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
that reminds me i once downloaded a "128-bit"version of netscape navigator, because it said that it was only legal for US citizens and i was like ha ha gently caress you cia

i guess it meant that it supported 128 bit encryption

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

gabensraum posted:

that reminds me i once downloaded a "128-bit"version of netscape navigator, because it said that it was only legal for US citizens and i was like ha ha gently caress you cia

i guess it meant that it supported 128 bit encryption

yeah, the old days where "strong encryption" was something governments thought they could control. remember the clipper chip or when the ps2 was export restricted because the magic gate encryption used on the memory cards was considered "strong"? also something about saddam using the ps2 to launch missiles

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i think it was basically any kind of encryption past DES was classified as a munition because of the legacy and importance of encryption in ww2

commerce won though, once public key and previously considered "strong" encryption was out there in the world trying to impose export controls on it would be trying to stuff the genie in the bottle.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
remember how the power Mac g3 was classed as a weapon

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

remember how the power Mac g3 was classed as a weapon

and the ps2 lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

remember when the military bought a bunch of ps3s to make clusters

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

remember when the military bought a bunch of ps3s to make clusters

there was a very narrow period just before cuda debuted where the cell was useful for that kind of thing, and per-unit the ps3 was way cheaper than an ibm cell blade

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The_Franz posted:

there was a very narrow period just before cuda debuted where the cell was useful for that kind of thing, and per-unit the ps3 was way cheaper than an ibm cell blade
it also had a much larger library of games

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

ultravoices posted:

i think it was basically any kind of encryption past DES was classified as a munition because of the legacy and importance of encryption in ww2

IIRC Phil Zimmermann was charged or investigated on the basis that he'd exported munitions without a licence by uploading PGP to Usenet (where it could be downloaded by people outside the US). He ended up publishing the source in a physical book — protected speech under the First Amendment — which made enforcing the software regulation pointless.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vinz Clortho posted:

IIRC Phil Zimmermann was charged or investigated on the basis that he'd exported munitions without a licence by uploading PGP to Usenet (where it could be downloaded by people outside the US). He ended up publishing the source in a physical book — protected speech under the First Amendment — which made enforcing the software regulation pointless.

lol if you tried that today they'd put you in jail for 40 years anyway

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
that OpenOffice mouse with all the buttons... was that real or like an April fools day thing or a fever dream

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

real or not there's mmo mice that have a grid of mappable buttons that look the same. they're mappable for say adobe products, so a wacky spreadsheet mouse is feasible

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
no honest man needs more than four buttons and a wheel

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i’ve still got a standard two button plus wheel mouse and never really needed anything else.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mx master is extremely good and the back + forward buttons are great. the gesture button freakin sucks though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

adjustable dpi is more important than more buttons imo

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
mmo mouse make no sense, you already have a thing with a shitload of buttons, it's called a loving keyboard

just bind strafing+jumping on the few extra buttons a normal gaming mouse have and use the keyboard only to cast all your spells and poo poo

mmo mouses only make sense if your a clown and insist on doing some character movement with the keyboard and some with the mouse

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Zlodo posted:

mmo mouse make no sense,

Hear me out on this one, I know it seems crazy, but: it doesn't matter and rubes will buy anything gaming-themed even if it's garbage because they want to believe it will give them an advantage even though five minutes of critical thought would prove otherwise.......... and marketers understand this

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Zlodo posted:

mmo mouse make no sense, you already have a thing with a shitload of buttons, it's called a loving keyboard

just bind strafing+jumping on the few extra buttons a normal gaming mouse have and use the keyboard only to cast all your spells and poo poo

mmo mouses only make sense if your a clown and insist on doing some character movement with the keyboard and some with the mouse

They're great if you want a set of keybinds/macros within thumb's reach and you don't want to move your hands off of your mouse or wasd.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have a gamer mouse with six buttons on the side and it helps for Warframe

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have a cool gamer mouse and I never use any of the extra buttons except forward/back because i just can't think of any button I click that often for it to be useful

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Two Beans posted:

They're great if you want a set of keybinds/macros within thumb's reach and you don't want to move your hands off of your mouse or wasd.

If you bind strafing and jumping to mouse buttons you don't need to use wasd at all (both MMOs worth playing at all make you move forward if you press lmb+rmb)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mr. Nice! posted:

i’ve still got a standard two button plus wheel mouse and never really needed anything else.

you dont middle click the wheel to open links in new tabs so you can keep reading the forums?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

fack you posted:

that OpenOffice mouse with all the buttons... was that real or like an April fools day thing or a fever dream

It looks like it was a real mouse, though the final version shipped without the OpenOffice.org branding and was more of a generic gaming mouse. It feels like the OOo connection was just a marketing stunt (though why OpenOffice decided to co-brand a gaming mouse I'm not sure :psyduck:).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My students keep buying the mice that have touch buttons on top instead of real buttons, like the Apple magic mouse or the Microsoft one that folds flat, and it's just so loving terrible for software that uses more than one button

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Two Beans posted:

they're kinda neat as macros for regular apps, too. or as more comfortable alternates for regular mouse buttons

different mouse, but i have a trackball with a bunch of buttons and i rebound a few to left and right click because it's more comfortable for me than using the "intended" buttons. one is middle click so I don't have to "pinch" the mouse to click the wheel. too many buttons goes a long way to avoiding the rsi regular mice we're giving me

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

phantom, the gaming company that promised an amazing console and only ever delivered a keyboard/mouse combo like 5 years later

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

phantom, the gaming company that promised an amazing console and only ever delivered a keyboard/mouse combo like 5 years later

also, people made counterfeit "prototypes" to rip off console collectors:

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1448771204068773888
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1448788896376975368

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i would not be surprised if the company taped every possible port on the back to blow more smoke up investor asses as a claim it could market to families as a pc, gamers as a console, and cable providers as an entertainment set-top box

hardocp had a supposed unit in 2004 that launched a lawsuit by phantom and they lost a cable modem in and out as ports and a "dsl" port so it looks like these were all bullshit units:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041011105400/http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjU3

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

like, I'm all for dragging con artists, but the phantom was a bullshit machine 20 years ago and any units captured in the wild were already full of useless ports and questionable hardware. it was fake to begin with, even the article says most of the ports are empty inside and only the bare minimum connect to anything at all

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 26, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

"the phantom", a documentary by orson welles

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

My students keep buying the mice that have touch buttons on top instead of real buttons, like the Apple magic mouse or the Microsoft one that folds flat, and it's just so loving terrible for software that uses more than one button

I could have sworn that the Arc had real buttons did they switch the capacity or am I crazy?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Zlodo posted:

there were some classes in daoc where you absolutely had to switch quickbars even with every single bindable key on a 104 set up

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i use a trackball. it has. a scroll ring and four buttons

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kitfox88 posted:

no honest man needs more than four buttons and a wheel

Zlodo posted:

i know a dude who uses one of those logitech mice with twelve buttons on the side. he had a massive stroke like ten years ago that left one of his arms basically unusable (the stroke crippled him so severely that his student debt was forgiven) so that mouse basically lets him play MMOs one-handed.

that said, yeah granted the vast majority of people don't need a little mini-keyboard on their mouse. but i'm glad they exist for those that do. :unsmith:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ultravoices posted:

commerce won though, once public key and previously considered "strong" encryption was out there in the world trying to impose export controls on it would be trying to stuff the genie in the bottle.

there’s another side to this too

back in the day the NSA had to approve any product containing encryption for export, especially if you wanted to ship something better than DES

I know of a product that shipped 1024-bit RSA in 1992 and received virtually immediate approval from the NSA to do so

think about the implications of that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've always assumed that any incredible new technology that makes you go "wow, imagine what evil poo poo the NSA could do with this" is something that the NSA has actually had for at least a decade or two.

like when the first kinect came out they showed how it could identify individual people by their body proportions, and read your heart rate from across the room by watching your face pulse in infrared. that was 2010 so the NSA was probably doing that in the first clinton administration

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

iirc cisco still release images that have gimped crypto to comply with export restrictions (the ones without "K9" in the name)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know a dude who uses one of those logitech mice with twelve buttons on the side. he had a massive stroke like ten years ago that left one of his arms basically unusable (the stroke crippled him so severely that his student debt was forgiven) so that mouse basically lets him play MMOs one-handed.

that said, yeah granted the vast majority of people don't need a little mini-keyboard on their mouse. but i'm glad they exist for those that do. :unsmith:

I'm glad he can still find a way to chill and enjoy stuff with friends despite that :unsmith: