Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
How can you have a law making it illegal to broadcast media depictions of gay relationships in a positive light, but also have your government-run ratings board decide that a movie depicting a gay relationship in a positive light is allowed to play, but it gets an automatic 18+ rating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How can you have a law making it illegal to broadcast media depictions of gay relationships in a positive light, but also have your government-run ratings board decide that a movie depicting a gay relationship in a positive light is allowed to play, but it gets an automatic 18+ rating?

Because the fig leaf of that law is "corrupting children is bad" so presumably slapping 18+ prevents children from learning horrible unchristian things. Any school teacher who ever mentions they are gay is going to be blacklisted for life on a report from a concerned citizen but gay people are free (until further notice) to discuss gay stuff in stictly 18+ marked spaces that pure children eyes can never ever see. Maybe that excuse saves the state from even more human rights abuse accusations than there are or maybe its just another ~genius~ gotcha that our lawmakers love to be smug about.

Even the Emma Watson Beauty and the Beast got 16+ rating and it seems that its easier for Disney to slap that than spend resources on making special edition - it doesnt really affect ads or number of showings in cinemas.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yes China, noted bastion of Christianity.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes China, noted bastion of Christianity.

I am talking about Russia, China mostly just extorts money before signing approval and in case of Eternals they dont like Chloe Zhao so its not getting a release there anyway

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Pollos_Hernandy/status/1452355182638125073?t=-0VI975Jsit5PZDpms869w&s=19

Lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20211024-three-stars-for-chlo-zhaos-disappointing-eternals

I get the feeling the mad Marvel fans aren't going to love the reviews this movie gets

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gay relationships in American movies are censored because of Americans. Russians and Chinese do not care about it to this degree, if they did, it wouldn't matter because they could just cut the scene and release the literal children's movie as-is. It's fraught and contentious because of Americans.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gay relationships in American movies are censored because of Americans. Russians and Chinese do not care about it to this degree, if they did, it wouldn't matter because they could just cut the scene and release the literal children's movie as-is. It's fraught and contentious because of Americans.

empty quote

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The original thing they were talking about was the Russian law preventing media from showing "a positive depiction of homosexual relationships or lifestyles."

They side-stepped it by giving Eternals an 18+ rating there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

:hai:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The original thing they were talking about was the Russian law preventing media from showing "a positive depiction of homosexual relationships or lifestyles."

They side-stepped it by giving Eternals an 18+ rating there.

Exactly. It's hosed up but it changes very little about their plans, that's just the four quad appeal, there's so little to file down in the first place.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Is it that contentious? 70% of Americans approve of Gay marriage, including 55% of Republicans.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/350486/record-high-support-same-sex-marriage.aspx

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is it that contentious? 70% of Americans approve of Gay marriage, including 55% of Republicans.

The American people are by and large not who is generally meant when 'Americans' is used like that.

As is true of most generalizations in that vein. I doubt every Russian man, woman and CENSORED are raging homophobes or the people of China approve of all the CCP's bullshit, but they don't really get a say in the matter

It's just easier to make note of what's true. American politics and America bullshit are why this is being done.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charlz Guybon posted:

Supporting gay marriage as a legal right and wanting to watch movies with gay romances aren’t the same thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you look at the most contested/banned books in America throughout recent years, with the exception of 2020 like 90% of the yearly lists tend to be books with LGBT characters in them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1452712576672952322

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Charlz Guybon posted:

Dude, Obama didn't even support gay marriage until like 2011. What do you think the captains of industry are like? These people are completely amoral and use whatever polling and data they can to justify their own personal whims.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dude, Obama didn't even support gay marriage until like 2011. What do you think the captains of industry are like? These people are completely amoral and use whatever polling and data they can to justify their own personal whims.

There's also been a tendency that seems* to be on the rise of catering to the more extreme demographics. E.g. maybe 55% of republicans support gay marriage but that doesn't mean that 55% is getting actively pissed at the lack of gay storylines in movies, but the remaining 45% will absolutely not see movies if they have that content, so it's ultimately more profitable overall to keep it out entirely.

*I'm thinking of stuff like the rise of the Tea Party and Trumpism and how even "reasonable" Republicans will pander to the nutjobs because they've realized the moderates will still vote for them in the long run. I'm probably historically very wrong on this trend and it's always been there to some extent.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guy A. Person posted:

There's also been a tendency that seems* to be on the rise of catering to the more extreme demographics. E.g. maybe 55% of republicans support gay marriage but that doesn't mean that 55% is getting actively pissed at the lack of gay storylines in movies, but the remaining 45% will absolutely not see movies if they have that content, so it's ultimately more profitable overall to keep it out entirely.

*I'm thinking of stuff like the rise of the Tea Party and Trumpism and how even "reasonable" Republicans will pander to the nutjobs because they've realized the moderates will still vote for them in the long run. I'm probably historically very wrong on this trend and it's always been there to some extent.

A good example of the point you are trying to make is gun law in the U.S.

Somewhere between 65-80% of Americans support some kind of gun control or universal background checks. But, almost nobody in the pro-gun control group votes entirely based on the gun control issue. The 20-35% of people in the anti-gun control group do vote solely based on that issue.

Overall public opinion is in favor of it, but the only people really invested in it are the minority and most of the majority might feel that way, but they don't really feel passionately about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also the US is not a democracy in any way, shape or form.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Charlz Guybon posted:

Besides what others have said, 70% is pretty loving dire.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Besides what others have said, 70% is pretty loving dire.

To put this in perspective, according to Gallup about 70% of America approved of interracial marriage...in 2003. (it's now 94%, thankfully)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gunn: Accomplice or useful idiot?

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1453154193854849024?t=WO0C1zg_XPpzWxMvmX4OFg&s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It seems like he's going for a "technically correct." I doubt his Guardians movies needed to be Pentagon approved since they mostly take place in space and have no US military presence.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wait, one of the eternals assumes responsibility for Hiroshima? The gently caress?

EDIT: Oh it’s the inventor one. Ok I can see the chain of logic that would get you there

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 27, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RatHat posted:

Wait, one of the eternals assumes responsibility for Hiroshima? The gently caress?

Technically, each one assumes responsibility for all the tragedies of the region they're in, because they don't interfere in tragedies caused by humanity.

One of them does interfere to help in ancient Mesopotamia and gets shunned for breaking daddy Celestial's rules. Another one secretly guides humanity's technological advances (which includes nuclear fusion).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Technically, each one assumes responsibility for all the tragedies of the region they're in, because they don't interfere in tragedies caused by humanity.

One of them does interfere to help in ancient Mesopotamia and gets shunned for breaking daddy Celestial's rules. Another one secretly guides humanity's technological advances (which includes nuclear fusion).

Another one left a box of scraps in a cave

That one really hosed things up

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead of Marvel movies/ human history.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Imagine making a movie about a bunch of godlike beings who have existed throughout human history and your selling point is "these assholes didn't lift a finger to stop the holocaust or hiroshima, of course they didn't stop thanos from killing half the universe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyIpijrLlcM&t=43s

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The United States posted:

Imagine making a movie about a bunch of godlike beings who have existed throughout human history and your selling point is "these assholes didn't lift a finger to stop the holocaust or hiroshima, of course they didn't stop thanos from killing half the universe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyIpijrLlcM&t=43s

The selling point would be great if you made them villains for Dr. Strange and Wanda to fight.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

The selling point would be great if you made them villains for St. Augustine and Leibniz to fight.

Fixed.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The closest the comics have come to making sense of that whole thing without the characters becoming inherently despicable is to have them incapable of rebelling against the Celestial orders driving their actions, like the existential horror of Rick's butter-passing robot writ large.

But that would require a movie that's moody and thoughtful instead of fast and quippy, so that won't happen in the MCU.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

It seems like he's going for a "technically correct." I doubt his Guardians movies needed to be Pentagon approved since they mostly take place in space and have no US military presence.

lmao:

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1453204605861568513?s=20

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Suspicious denial from the guy that made a movie about evil communists in Latin America wanting to rule the world

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
more like james dum(b)

Edit:

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1453203264334336000?t=IHJOiQTbTjR3ym8X09DFfQ&s=09

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 27, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Roth posted:

Suspicious denial from the guy that made a movie about evil communists in Latin America wanting to rule the world

It's really a dumb position as the process isn't in any way secret. There were news stories in 2012 about the Pentagon revoking their approval from The Avengers because they didn't like the US Military being shown as subordinate to SHIELD. There's attributed quotes from the people that review the scripts and everything.

I mean, here's a quote from USO Magazine (!) about the Pentagon rep interfering in the filming of Iron Man

quote:

"One particular disagreement during the filming of an “Iron Man” movie stands out.

In the script, one military officer told another that people would “kill themselves for the opportunities he has.” Strub said he didn’t like the line and made recommendations. It was no shock the director didn’t like the suggestion.

“It never got resolved until we were in the middle of filming,” Strub said. “Now we’re on the flight lines at Edwards Air Force Base (California), and there’s 200 people, and [the director] and I are having an argument about this. He’s getting redder and redder in the face and I’m getting just as annoyed.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 27, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Avengers 1 actually explicitly did not get approval because the us military did not like the shadow government element or what the chain of command was supposed to be

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Avengers 1 actually explicitly did not get approval because the us military did not like the shadow government element or what the chain of command was supposed to be

The US military was right on that one.

gently caress Joss Whedon all over again for making me say that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I do think the DOD stuff is overstated because all movies of that genre do that anyway, and I think how effective the military is able to recruit based off that is overstated since I doubt the thing that really closes someone to joining the military is what action movie they were watching that had a military PR campaign attached to it. Like it's at most an accessory whereas the thing that really gets people to join the military is the promise of education and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I do think the DOD stuff is overstated because all movies of that genre do that anyway, and I think how effective the military is able to recruit based off that is overstated since I doubt the thing that really closes someone to joining the military is what action movie they were watching that had a military PR campaign attached to it. Like it's at most an accessory whereas the thing that really gets people to join the military is the promise of education and money.

It's not really a recruitment campaign, it's a propaganda exercise intended to normalize the military-industrial complex.