Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

my basement keeps flooding and it's going to flood more thx climate change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Steely Dad posted:

content is the only thing left to hope for

:hai:

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Steely Dad posted:

Content is the only thing left to hope for

I will never be content

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i haven't been able to read the last 1200 posts

can i assume it's not that bad yet

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

hey if that's all that happens you're pretty lucky tbh

so many people are going to discover their houses are unlivable and their insurance company's response will just be "lol"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Slack Lagoon posted:

grats on your new indoor pool

property values go up

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Paradoxish posted:

hey if that's all that happens you're pretty lucky tbh

so many people are going to discover their houses are unlivable and their insurance company's response will just be "lol"

I assume if your house is now covered by the ocean you property deed isn't valid anymore, but you'll still be on the hook for the mortgage.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i haven't been able to read the last 1200 posts

can i assume it's not that bad yet

relatively speaking no its not that bad yet

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ashcans posted:

I assume if your house is now covered by the ocean you property deed isn't valid anymore, but you'll still be on the hook for the mortgage.

Presumably the mortgage is secured by the house, so you leave the ocean and the bank gets the home. Also your good peasant score credit rating is shot because peasants aren't allowed to walk away from bad debt without retribution.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Complications posted:

Presumably the mortgage is secured by the house, so you leave the ocean and the bank gets the home. Also your good peasant score credit rating is shot because peasants aren't allowed to walk away from bad debt without retribution.

the practicality of this also depends on whether its a recourse state or a nonrecourse state. florida for example is a recourse state

north carolina is nonrecourse, some banks are going to get hosed if they issued mortgages on barrier islands there

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

This can be yours if you're willing to throw away $35k:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Edmonds/0-xxx-Olympic-View-Dr-Unknown/home/175079254

Laterite has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Oct 26, 2021

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-w-pdqwiBw

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

On the plus side, Musk is now the richest person organism with 255 bn (up from 27 bn in January 2020), proving that you can achieve anything if you just put some elbow grease into it and work really hard.

He will probably be the one to save mankind, so stop worrying so much.

mcbexx has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Oct 26, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
U.N. warns world set for 2.7C rise on today's emissions pledges

LMAO Status: Probably just dropping out of society to be a bum this winter.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
2.7 C isn't that concerning you doomer, there will only be thousands of additional deaths directly attributable to heat waves

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Car Hater posted:

2.7 C isn't that concerning you doomer, there will only be thousands of additional deaths directly attributable to heat waves

And merely millions from food insecurity

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Mr. Lobe posted:

And merely millions from food insecurity

Eh, we already got millions of those already and have been for decades, what's a couple more?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

let the other thread know that, where they want data to prove that a hundred million will die from climate change. see, the numbers don’t say that yet, you bunch of doomers… it’s really not that bad, everyone needs to let the free market come up with solutions

LMAO

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lol

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Rime posted:

U.N. warns world set for 2.7C rise on today's emissions pledges

LMAO Status: Probably just dropping out of society to be a bum this winter.

lol, 2.7C seems optimistic. And it's based on current pledges, which probably aren't even close to being fulfilled anyways, and likely won't ever be.

If they were all to come out with some bullshit new pledge that brings the numbers closer to the still hellscape of 2C, does anyone anywhere actually expect them to do any meaningful work towards those goals? Blah blah blah as they say.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhT0WrX72xM

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
billions will die due to existing; think a hundred million or so will move me? smdh get a grip

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lost Time posted:

lol, 2.7C seems optimistic. And it's based on current pledges, which probably aren't even close to being fulfilled anyways, and likely won't ever be.

If they were all to come out with some bullshit new pledge that brings the numbers closer to the still hellscape of 2C, does anyone anywhere actually expect them to do any meaningful work towards those goals? Blah blah blah as they say.

The big stumbling block with the emission pledges is that it doesn't account for natural emissions from thawed methane deposits, permafrost or untraced things like methane emissions from natural gas wells.

So we are emitting more than even the numbers we aren't reducing in the first place.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Funny how this thread is all about how we need to reduce the population on earth and then when capitalism comes up with a plan to do it sooner than anyone realized all of a sudden there’s whine whine whine about “wah billions will starve” “wah baby needs water to live”

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
don't throw the bathwater out with the baby

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

Funny how this thread is all about how we need to reduce the population on earth and then when capitalism comes up with a plan to do it sooner than anyone realized all of a sudden there’s whine whine whine about “wah billions will starve” “wah baby needs water to live”

This thread wants the ruling class to die. Only the proles will be starving.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

the only thing humanity is capable of is passing the buck therefore having children is the only ethical act possible.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Trabisnikof posted:

Funny Story: virtually every "Advocating Eugenics" or "thirsting for genocide" entry in my rap sheet comes from reasonably pointing out that Capitalism will allow billions to die quite unpleasantly - and coddled westerners will largely cheer this process on until the noose is firmly around their own necks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Complications posted:

This thread wants the ruling class to die. Only the proles will be starving.

what percent of the global population do you think is ruling class?

when people say we need to reduce our population i don't think they mean to only 7,000,000,000 people

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Rime posted:

Funny Story: virtually every "Advocating Eugenics" or "thirsting for genocide" entry in my rap sheet comes from reasonably pointing out that Capitalism will allow billions to die quite unpleasantly - and coddled westerners will largely cheer this process on until the noose is firmly around their own necks.

But enough about you posting in the other thread...

(high five to both of us getting the most probs from that loving thread.)

See also pointing out that it will get very bad for folks all over the world no matter what at this point is doom posting.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Homeless Friend posted:

don't throw the bathwater out with the baby

"Hey, don't throw out that baby either!"

- Cormac McCarthy's The Road

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rime posted:

Capitalism is already actively allowing people to die very unpleasantly via lack of healthcare and covid. You'd have to be incredibly head in the sand to not see that this will amplify as we start seeing more crop failures and the resulting famine.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Trabisnikof posted:

what percent of the global population do you think is ruling class?

when people say we need to reduce our population i don't think they mean to only 7,000,000,000 people

we’re cruising for under a billion miserable people right now. you can move those numbers and percentages around however you like. you won’t be around to tell if you guessed right.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The capitalists are killing us with their economic and social systems.
Oh dear, what should we do?
Well there's too many people you see.
Ah, right, too many capitalists - agreed, yes, let's kill them.
No you fool, you simpering moron, if we kill them there's still too many people left and everyone will die because of what the capitalists have already done!
Ah, right, too many people and capitalists - agreed, yes, let's kill them.
I would never do such a thing.
Pardon?
I've never killed and I never would. I mean maybe I could bring myself to kill a capitalist but not the innocent people.
Ah, right, it's much the same with me.
Of course, yes, we're both civilized here.
What do you propose?
Well, we should tell the capitalists to please kill people in a more specific way.
How do you mean?
Intentional culling.
Ah, right, yes. Of course. And who should we cull?
Reckon it's not up to us, we who cannot kill. No, no we will need to let the capitalists decide.
Very wise, yes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Torpor posted:

we’re cruising for under a billion miserable people right now. you can move those numbers and percentages around however you like. you won’t be around to tell if you guessed right.

so sounds like depopulation achieved, and that depopulating couldn't happen by getting rid of the elites alone.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The capitalists are killing us with their economic and social systems.
Oh dear, what should we do?
Well there's too many people you see.
Ah, right, too many capitalists - agreed, yes, let's kill them.
No you fool, you simpering moron, if we kill them there's still too many people left and everyone will die because of what the capitalists have already done!
Ah, right, too many people and capitalists - agreed, yes, let's kill them.
I would never do such a thing.
Pardon?
I've never killed and I never would. I mean maybe I could bring myself to kill a capitalist but not the innocent people.
Ah, right, it's much the same with me.
Of course, yes, we're both civilized here.
What do you propose?
Well, we should tell the capitalists to please kill people in a more specific way.
How do you mean?
Intentional culling.
Ah, right, yes. Of course. And who should we cull?
Reckon it's not up to us, we who cannot kill. No, no we will need to let the capitalists decide.
Very wise, yes.

the reason that neoliberalism is so popular is that it removes any direct ties between decision makers and consequences. if you want to do something that will be universally considered heinous and wicked, then you instead devise and implement a system that will do that thing. then when people are outraged you can point at the system and lament that no one could have possibly foreseen this terrible outcome. by then the thing is already done though, so you succeeded, thing accomplished. people might even like you more when you "dismantle" the system that did the terrible thing, even if you don't actually do that; no one can immediately identify exactly how the complex system resulted in the consequences, and you can rest safe in the fact that very few will ever investigate further.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Trabisnikof posted:

so sounds like depopulation achieved, and that depopulating couldn't happen by getting rid of the elites alone.

I’m not sure that’s much of an achievement, nor some kind of refutation of class warfare if that’s what you were arguing for.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Stereotype posted:

the reason that neoliberalism is so popular is that it removes any direct ties between decision makers and consequences. if you want to do something that will be universally considered heinous and wicked, then you instead devise and implement a system that will do that thing. then when people are outraged you can point at the system and lament that no one could have possibly foreseen this terrible outcome. by then the thing is already done though, so you succeeded, thing accomplished. people might even like you more when you "dismantle" the system that did the terrible thing, even if you don't actually do that; no one can immediately identify exactly how the complex system resulted in the consequences, and you can rest safe in the fact that very few will ever investigate further.

someone ring up Hannah Arendt, quick!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think we should reframe it as lives saved rather than lives culled, with "one billion people" as the current baseline we can hope for. Every oil baron we publicly execute adds to that total by reducing our carbon footprint going into the future. Just collapse, let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
That's not a proposition for Malthusianism, that's literally just doing our all to remediate the crisis. Lol