Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

When they say it's bigger than WE, I wonder if they mean the actual bounds of the map, or if they mean the actually playable area? That map image posted looks somewhat comparable to Olympus to me re: playable zones.

It's bigger in both playable area and end-to-end dimensions

https://twitter.com/RodneyReece7/status/1453022908087865346

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

They seriously made the badge for week 3 Arenas-based, and Shadow Royale doesn’t count for any event challenges except “matches in any mode”. Are you kidding me.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I want to play S2 KC but shadows royale is such an awful unfun mode, sad

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

runchild posted:

They seriously made the badge for week 3 Arenas-based, and Shadow Royale doesn’t count for any event challenges except “matches in any mode”. Are you kidding me.

The badge thing sucks but it's way too easy to get damage and kills in Shadow Royale. You can keep farming the same team for kills as long as you don't kill the last non-shadow member.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Regrettable posted:

The badge thing sucks but it's way too easy to get damage and kills in Shadow Royale. You can keep farming the same team for kills as long as you don't kill the last non-shadow member.

I didn’t mean that Shadow Royale should count for BR challenges, but that there should be Shadow Royale challenges appropriate for the higher damage and kills numbers. Forcing your players to choose between playing the event LTM or advancing the event rewards track is dumb.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
What was the "lore reason" they claimed was why the shadows mode had to wait until the last week of the event anyway?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Keito posted:

What was the "lore reason" they claimed was why the shadows mode had to wait until the last week of the event anyway?

I think Shadow Revanant has some lines that mention Ash

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Daztek posted:

I think Shadow Revanant has some lines that mention Ash

You'd think they could delay the lines instead of the whole mode then but I guess their lovely story gets priority over gameplay

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I finally got around to doing the Bloodhound thing and I'm not sure what the point even was. Who is the audience for this stuff?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I was about to post a lol about them somehow resetting badges but then I realized they just removed the pride and suicide awareness ones

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

I finally got around to doing the Bloodhound thing and I'm not sure what the point even was. Who is the audience for this stuff?

I really liked the unique rewards though

The absolute lack of any unique reward really stood out.

this is a joke all it gives you is packs and honestly compared to the phoned in charms from past seasons its a who cares.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
gonna drop cenote caves and get the bazookas

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I was about to post a lol about them somehow resetting badges but then I realized they just removed the pride and suicide awareness ones

Wtf why :argh:

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
Reddit says it’s a confirmed bug.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

SKULL.GIF posted:

same. i did it and dgaf about the dialogue.

cool, BH has familial issues or something? gimme itamz.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Ya all the effort for what? All I learned about myself from the experience is that if I'm ever confronted by five giant ancestral ghosts I'm gonna bunny hop into invisible walls while I yell at the ghosts to make them go away. I don't need Apex Legends to tell me things I can easily figure out for myself

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Keito posted:

You'd think they could delay the lines instead of the whole mode then but I guess their lovely story gets priority over gameplay

lol, like anyone would be playing shadows after 14 days

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's a good point, shadows gets maybe two days of actual play and then people realise that its not very fun anymore when the entire server stops killing eachother and just murders ghostie boi's

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you wind up stuck in that state anyway, being alive in that LTM is a loving chore. kill one ghost and their team will run at you until the end of time.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Hey I'm not saying that shadows is good gameplay or anything, just that their stories suck even worse and that I think gameplay should trump everything else in a video GAME

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Uh excuse me it gave you 15 stars towards the battle pass.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fenarisk posted:

Uh excuse me it gave you 15 stars towards the battle pass.

You're right it does feel like there have been a lotta "battlepass level" rewards instead of actual unique things. Wonder why.

Maybe they realized everyones paying for them why make any you can ear separately.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
That Revenant guy sounds like Armus from Star Trek The Next Generation.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
How to be a dick in zombiegoast mode:
1. Be a threestack
2. One person sits in a distant corner and hides
3. Other two run around infinitely harassing other teams

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yellow Yoshi posted:

1. Be a threestack

Can confirm it's good fun.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's certainly not very compelling. I tried to keep an open mind towards it but by the end I was just like what does this change/mean? It could have been one of their twitter comics and had the same effect.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Respawn is experimenting with how they are telling the story because they have gotten a lot of rightful complaints about it. They didn't do a treasure pack comic this time around, and instead gave us this.

They really want more people to be invested in the story/stories. The issue is that the people who care probably don't want to solo cue as Bloodhound 4 times on a specific map to get some dialogue(i haven't done it because the whole system looks awful so i don't actually know what you are supposed to do or what you get) and the people who don't care will continue to not care.

EDIT: This experiment is seriously a net negative in getting people interested because this kind of thing isn't going to bring in new people but is definitely going to get already interested people frustrated because it's so weird to do. yeah dude just solo queue into worlds edge and go to a hot drop area to find a thing and then dodge the other 10 teams surrounding you to complete the first part of the quests have fun! also because you are solo you will be hunted into oblivion at all times

life_source fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 27, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i've been thinking about it and i think, from educated guesses and observation unranked matchmaking works something like this: first it just grabs a big chunk of players who just hit the play button and who would have good ping to the party leader. i do not know how judicious the matchmaking is at this stage nor how many players are queuing up at any given second but that's how you get into matches with people you know and that's also how you boost as far as i know. quite often the display will read like 42/60 or whatever at this stage. then it waits for the server to fill and increasingly lowers the standards over time to whatever matchmaking or proximity to server/ping quality it chooses until the server fills up.

at higher traffic times when there are much more than 60 players hitting the play button together then it can actually apply more SBMM - if it has idk 600 people it uses the hidden SBMM number to make ten "good" servers. when the queue is less full, which you can see right now if you try and queue up for shadow royale, it clearly struggles, and you get matched with "worse" opponents, either above or below your hidden value.

all entirely conjecture but if i had to guess it is something like this. that many drat hacks and leaks of this game and it's never been meaningfully disclosed, right?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1453397684312842244

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

life_source posted:

Respawn is experimenting with how they are telling the story because they have gotten a lot of rightful complaints about it. They didn't do a treasure pack comic this time around, and instead gave us this.

They should just do basic PVE missions and not bother putting rewards on it.

If you like the story you'll do the story. If you put rewards in it all you're doing is encouraging people the get pissy for a few hours and then post about how the story is poo poo and how it sucked that they had to do it for a lovely badge.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

i've been thinking about it and i think, from educated guesses and observation unranked matchmaking works something like this: first it just grabs a big chunk of players who just hit the play button and who would have good ping to the party leader. i do not know how judicious the matchmaking is at this stage nor how many players are queuing up at any given second but that's how you get into matches with people you know and that's also how you boost as far as i know. quite often the display will read like 42/60 or whatever at this stage. then it waits for the server to fill and increasingly lowers the standards over time to whatever matchmaking or proximity to server/ping quality it chooses until the server fills up.

at higher traffic times when there are much more than 60 players hitting the play button together then it can actually apply more SBMM - if it has idk 600 people it uses the hidden SBMM number to make ten "good" servers. when the queue is less full, which you can see right now if you try and queue up for shadow royale, it clearly struggles, and you get matched with "worse" opponents, either above or below your hidden value.

all entirely conjecture but if i had to guess it is something like this. that many drat hacks and leaks of this game and it's never been meaningfully disclosed, right?

Whatever skill matching they use in unranked doesn't seem to distinguish between anything above "good" either. Predator streamers queueing unranked get into games just as quickly as anyone else.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CoolCab posted:

i've been thinking about it and i think, from educated guesses and observation unranked matchmaking works something like this...

The only thing we know is that the developers have stated they do take skill into account "somehow," (but won't say how so that people can't game the system) but prioritize speedy matches so much over skill that they have literally said "we don't want to call it SBMM".

Also, 3 stacking puts you in an entirely different skill bracket than Trios pairs or soloing. It's very noticeable - you'll be playing solo and occasionally doing ok with people around your skill level most of the time, then join up with some buddies for a full party and immediately start getting lasered down by 2/3rds of the lobby next match.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 27, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I didn't think it was poo poo or anything, I just didn't find it very compelling and I'm not sure what it actually means for Bloodhound's character. They're anguished about not being totally pure about following the ancient traditions of their clan? Isn't that what the character already was in the first place? Like the whole idea was that they'd integrated technology into their hunting rituals? So far as I could tell, the spirit vision didn't actually change or introduce anything, and it's not clear what Bloodhound is going to do differently now because of it.

It's a very big :geno: "Yeah, alright. OK." moment.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
was it a spirit thing? i thought the point was that it was all in their head, like the guilt they've been carrying around all season. kind of to put that to bed.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Reek posted:

gonna drop cenote caves and get the bazookas

under appreciated :xd:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Imagine the kind of person who would want to write lore for shooter video game characters, and then imagine wanting to do it for low pay and bad benefits. It's not for me to judge but I don't think you're going to be getting top tier writers for this one. I'm not sure but none of the Apex Story Team are professionally published, right? I mean if they are, I would actually like to read something from one of them to see if it's the constraints of writing for a BR or something else (I'm sure it's extremely challenging for even the best writer to produce a serialized story where none of the cast can exit and you're constantly introducing a major new character every 3 months or so). I don't know where they are getting the idea that people want to read stories and soak in world lore about these characters outside of kids ages 11 or under, who deep-dive into absolutely everything that interests them regardless of how contrived it all is. I personally prefer one "Story from the Outland" per season about a competitor's backstory, and everything else done through inference on voice lines. Nice, tight, and lightweight, and I don't have to go to a website or watch a streamer to enjoy it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 27, 2021

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Yellow Yoshi posted:

1. Be a threestack

Step 2 is DOLPH’S TIME TO SHINE

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The only thing we know is that the developers have stated they do take skill into account "somehow," (but won't say how so that people can't game the system) but prioritize speedy matches so much over skill that they have literally said "we don't want to call it SBMM".

Also, 3 stacking puts you in an entirely different skill bracket than Trios pairs or soloing. It's very noticeable - you'll be playing solo and occasionally doing ok with people around your skill level most of the time, then join up with some buddies for a full party and immediately start getting lasered down by 2/3rds of the lobby next match.

I think 3 stacking just chucks you in with the highest players MMR. When i roll an alt account we just walk through squads. If silver/gold level players queue with me on my main its just constant pred boxes.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

dogstile posted:

I think 3 stacking just chucks you in with the highest players MMR. When i roll an alt account we just walk through squads. If silver/gold level players queue with me on my main its just constant pred boxes.

It's weird because sometimes when I squad with lower MMR players half the lobby is still Diamonds and Masters and sometimes it feels like a Gold lobby. It does seem like it tries to level out the MMR sometimes but other times it seems it's just going with the highest MMR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like the quests and enjoyed the horizon hidden room and the ash quest. But theyve pretty clearly been getting less and less effort put into them.

Compare bloodhound with the ash quest and its easy to see.