Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

SpaceDrake posted:

You have no idea how difficult it has been to resist the urge to :justpost: about this for, like

the past two god drat years

fake-real-edit: anyway I am going to go slam back delicious kara-age with caphi and robin like a boss

we'll :justpost: when I return

What a goddamn :mood:.

Seeing the reactions has been an experience on its own, and I think there were a couple things that took even us by surprise. (Hell, I still can't believe it's global now.)

And the fun thing about working on SRW as a team is that there's a lot of game for each of us to discover - even moreso with 30's branching system since we sort of know the permutations but not necessarily how they fit together in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

You have no idea how difficult it has been to resist the urge to :justpost: about this for, like

fake-real-edit: anyway I am going to go slam back delicious kara-age with caphi and robin like a boss

Congrats!

Just remember that you are not Roy Fokker, and you cannot pilot SRW 30 while drunk, no matter what the alcohol says.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Congrats and thank you to everyone who worked on this.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Congrats and thank you to all the assorted translator goons and also translators who are not goons. You allow me to play one of my favorite game series without having to deal with my horrible work ethic on learning another language. I will gladly pay money so that you receive payment for your work.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

SpaceDrake posted:

Congratulations and thank you everyone for translating 30 for us

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It is awesome to see Dramata/Hokuto and her crew on the first mainline SRW to come out to the west, as well as Carpe Fulgar still alive and kicking (I mean, they were since Gundam EXVS MBON, but still)

Congrats to all!

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's good to see the confirmation that the usual crew was working on this one, as well as those other familiar faces. Good job again folks, and enjoy the post-release feed for those of you doing that!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Caphi posted:

What a goddamn :mood:.

Seeing the reactions has been an experience on its own, and I think there were a couple things that took even us by surprise. (Hell, I still can't believe it's global now.)

And the fun thing about working on SRW as a team is that there's a lot of game for each of us to discover - even moreso with 30's branching system since we sort of know the permutations but not necessarily how they fit together in practice.

Thank you to both of you and to the rest of the team for getting the chance to make this happen. SRW30 is the first game I'll actually be able to play, and I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

God I hate /m/, nothing but complaining and whining about every single loving thing in 30 right now
to be fair it is really funny seeing them doompost about the possibility of knights and magic not being represented well. im sure these guys are massive knights and magic fans and not just looking for an excuse to complain.

also grats to all the translators!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Thanks to everyone who worked on the game! I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the translation team's an important part of why we can see SRW being released worldwide now, as the extremely high-quality translations were how many of us were able to finally play these while understanding what we were doing (which, let me tell you, makes it a lot more likely for me to actually buy a game).

I really can't wait until I can play it myself. The last few hours before a game release are always pure torture, I swear...

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

to be fair it is really funny seeing them doompost about the possibility of knights and magic not being represented well. im sure these guys are massive knights and magic fans and not just looking for an excuse to complain.

I mean it sucks for people who like the show don't get me wrong, but I watched the first few episodes and it just didn't really grab me - at least it had a better debut than the Zoid series in OE that didn't even have it's MC playable. Also most of them seem to be forgetting that even the older games had missing stuff before, and that Raideen's second half in the Alpha series was done off screen

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 27, 2021

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I really wish Steam would let me preload, but I suppose that's what gigabit connections are for. :f5:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

Yes /m/ well known for it's love and tolerance of Isekai light novel mecha titles. I definitely buy that position from them and it's definitely a 0% that it's concern trolling. :lol:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The game is almost out, might as well wait a bit and see what it's like before getting into who has a worthwhile opinion or not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for the record the thing ill be mad about is if powerd zenon isnt in the game and the buster weapons are just attacks + final gridman

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Congrats and thank you to the translators!! I'll be in (part of) a 24hour stream of 30 and I'll make sure we talk a lot about your work to fill the time!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Endorph posted:

for the record the thing ill be mad about is if powerd zenon isnt in the game and the buster weapons are just attacks + final gridman

I'm entirely sure that will be the case. I wouldn't even believe Final Gridman is a fully playable unit and not a weapon had I not seen it thanks to Youtube.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm entirely sure that will be the case. I wouldn't even believe Final Gridman is a fully playable unit and not a weapon had I not seen it thanks to Youtube.
then will be mad. Be Prepared.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Getting 5 consecutive SRW releases in a row when i used to have to read Mark Neidengard's summaries before playing a chapter back in the day is in and of itself a mood. I never thought we'd get to a point where this stuff was accepted enough globally for Bandai Namco to figure English and Chinese language official releases were worth the investment.

For a while there the attitude I almost always saw towards mecha anime from people outside of Japan was that it was flat out guaranteed crap that was all literally just like Transformers (all action, no substance, "trainwreck" plots etc.) and just nobody wanted to give any of it a chance ever. "I don't like mecha anime, mecha anime is bad so I won't watch/play this" was often the sentiment, and anytime there was an English poll on favorite anime or Japanese game genres mecha/robot always seemed to come in all but dead last if not dead last for ages. Thus, I always kind of figured it was hopeless for SRW in English. That there just was not a willing open minded audience for it outside the region and even English speaking anime watchers were so hostile towards that genre that I couldn't blame Bamco for keeping it to Japan. I never really understood why that was the case for so long and couldn't help but wonder if wasn't because /m/ or some other like minded group was putting in gatekeeping work or something, but it's very slowly going away. People even kind of seem open to Gundam again for the first time since Gundam Wing came out.

I strangely think some standalone game franchises like Xenoblade as well as the efforts Bandai in particular have made in trying to get people outside of Japan to understand what things like building Gunpla as a hobby are actually about (I mean they want to be able to sell this stuff outside Japan too for growth reasons) kind of helped the impression and how people perceive mecha anime and games as well. It really feels like it was strictly a matter of getting the right people to get over their biases a little over time by steadily chipping away at them bit by bit and title by title that's finally created the atmosphere where I can fairly safely say SRW is a global franchise and mecha stuff has a fair shot as well.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I still haven't gotten my key from GMG, what the hell!!! :livintrope:

KaizerRyu
Mar 17, 2009

Just wanted to say thank you very much to the translation team!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

God bless you translators. It's good to know this franchise is in good hands.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
thanks everyone for all the work. I won't get to play til tomorrow but mega-pumped

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks for all the work, translators!

Also, I've been playing it and man, the SRX debut stage on Expert is actually pretty brutal!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So how does difficulty work in 30? Does it just throw more units at you or are there inflated stats or is it a mix of both?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Levantine posted:

So how does difficulty work in 30? Does it just throw more units at you or are there inflated stats or is it a mix of both?

I don't know about unit difference, but the enemy stats are absolutely much higher.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Endorph posted:

I mean, I kind of am since I read the manga (and then the light novel) up to where the anime ends.

And yeah thanks for the work on the translation!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally made some time to watch the first couple of episodes of SSSS Gridman and dang it this seems pretty compelling, even if I do kind of know a few big spoilers through a combination on not giving a poo poo about them at the time and general cultural osmosis. Still, I would like to watch the rest of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gridman's really good, and tbh the spoilers don't really matter. A lot of the appeal is just the natural dialogue between characters and the sincerity of its 'mechs solve teenagers emotional problems' stuff. Dynazenon's really good, too, excited for that to get in.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I finished Gridman just yesterday, binged 10 episodes in a row, and yeah it's really really good. Like, yeah the fighting is cool and all that, but the cinematography and the emotional core of the story is just very well put together.

Also totally recommend checking out at least this video of the original Gridman series, there's a lot SSSS. pulls from it and it's a lot of fun to see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rntm30xC4

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 27, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope we get Dynazenon next game and then the sequel to that the game after. I expect the next few games to be flush with SSSS content.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

I finished Gridman just yesterday, binged 10 episodes in a row, and yeah it's really really good. Like, yeah the fighting is cool and all that, but the cinematography and the emotional core of the story is just very well put together.

Also totally recommend checking out at least this video of the original Gridman series, there's a lot SSSS. pulls from it and it's a lot of fun to see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rntm30xC4
I like all the callbacks to the US version of Gridman, too. All the weapons have attacks named after the characters from that version.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Gridman's really good, and tbh the spoilers don't really matter. A lot of the appeal is just the natural dialogue between characters and the sincerity of its 'mechs solve teenagers emotional problems' stuff. Dynazenon's really good, too, excited for that to get in.

I feel like Gridman had a really compelling story, a great cast and a cool, dreamlike feel to it that set it apart. Dynazenon traded down on the cool robot stuff for a much more rounded cast that felt super believable. It's rare to see the whole "we have lives and other relationships outside the story" thing done well and Dynazenon nails it.

I think SRW can make the Dynazenon mech stuff way cooler though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I do like the Dynazenon as a robot, at least. And there's some decent jokes with the robots. It's in the bonus audio dramas but my favorite joke in the whole thing is:

Chise: You guys went to space!?
Yomogi: Well, the enemy's power was explosions. So we thought if we took it to outer space, it wouldn't be able to make them.
Chise: Oooohhh. Wow, I guess that means it didn't blow up when you defeated it, for once!
Yomogi: No, it... still blew... up?
Chise: ... Huh.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

I like all the callbacks to the US version of Gridman, too. All the weapons have attacks named after the characters from that version.

...Does anyone enthusiastically proclaim "LETS KICK SOME GIGA-BUTT!"

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/SkeithTheTerror/status/1453376806686441480

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hah, wow.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Is it me or does SRW T suddenly seem very difficult to get the English version for PS4 now. Play Asia doesn't seem to have it nor does Amazon.ca. I don't currently have a PC with Windows 10 up and going and SRW 30 seems to require it for Steam so that's also a shame.

e: never mind just wasn't trying hard enough clearly. 50 bucks Canadian from a seller on Amazon.com, but by the time you factor in shipping costs and currency conversion it's basically exactly 79.99 aka the price of a brand new game in Canada. Oh well not done SRW V anyway which I've been in the mood to get going further on this afternoon, but just want to see if this is one of those things that's gonna bite me in the rear end down the road if I don't secure a copy now.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 27, 2021

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kale posted:

Is it me or does SRW T suddenly seem very difficult to get the English version for PS4 now. Play Asia doesn't seem to have it nor does Amazon.ca. I don't currently have a PC with Windows 10 up and going and SRW 30 seems to require it for Steam so that's also a shame.

Is getting it digitally on PS4 not in the cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kchama posted:

Is getting it digitally on PS4 not in the cards?

The way I understand it you kind of need a Malay or possibly Singapore credit card or PSN cards to pay for it. I did the whole thing of setting up a PSN account for Asia region stuff ages ago but then ran into that issue trying to pay for it and just ended up importing it from Playasia. At least V got here in like 3 weeks, while SRWX took literally over 3 months to arrive to the point where I thought it had gotten lost and was trying to contact them about possible compensation and then one day it just showed up out of the blue.