Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

my worked hired me.. Dumbies.. I've been here for like lots of years and they keep paying me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
There's been this management fad going around where managers tell me that they're going to get me how to manage myself so that they don't have to. They always present it like it's some really clever new idea and think that I can't see that it's management trying to duck out of doing any actual work.

They can't seem to grasp the concept that if I wanted to manage anything at all, I would have applied for a managment position.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Literally sat in the dark using my work cell as a tether at the office for four hours this morning. 600k people lost power including my house AND office. I have 1 day of PTO for the rest of the year and didn't want to waste it when I had nothing to do at home anyway. I was one of three people there only because no one told the peons the office power was out and I didn't want to waste time driving back to my also dark house.

Asked the IT guy why we didn't just loving close. "Because someone in charge read 'has power' in my email and ignored the preceding 'the other half of the building.'"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dongsturm posted:

You're incredibly vague about what the actual task is, but if the entire team is repeatedly not doing it, that's a tacit message that they consider it to be your job, not theirs.

Micromanaging and calling people out in team meetings is probably going to result in a story for this thread, so please update us when it happens.

Not any one particular task, just the sum total of all the tasks they're supposed to be on top of.

I'm sure I'll have a story soon that confirms I'm the source of dumb poo poo in the workplace.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Critical posted:

Asked the IT guy why we didn't just loving close. "Because someone in charge read 'has power' in my email and ignored the preceding 'the other half of the building.'"

lmao so it was your fault.

I really marvel at the tiniest bit of finger you extended towards them with using your own phone and they yanked the entire arm that's KEEP EVERYONE IN THE BUILDING.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao so it was your fault.

I really marvel at the tiniest bit of finger you extended towards them with using your own phone and they yanked the entire arm that's KEEP EVERYONE IN THE BUILDING.

Wasn't me thankfully. We share the building with another company. They had power because their UPS actually worked where ours did not so we had just enough juice to run a few lights and some monitors. He sent the email at like 7AM and had a response by 7:05. I can't get these fuckers to respond to a single email but of course they jump when a day of productivity is in danger.

I only tethered because I had poo poo to do and was bitching about having to use PTO for something out of my control. IT suggested it. And it was my work cell, they ain't getting a byte of my personal data.

At least my direct supervisor is awesome but I did snicker privately when she told me a tree fell on her boat.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Dongsturm posted:

There's been this management fad going around where managers tell me that they're going to get me how to manage myself so that they don't have to. They always present it like it's some really clever new idea and think that I can't see that it's management trying to duck out of doing any actual work.

They can't seem to grasp the concept that if I wanted to manage anything at all, I would have applied for a managment position.

So much this. I'm usually quite indirect, but one supervisor kept ignoring hints and chasing up my passive 'not doing things that aren't my job' until I had to literally say:
"If I were interested in performing management duties, I would have applied for a management role. Like you did."

That maxed out my internal work hostility meter, but apparently I was one of the more polite/restrained people.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Outrail posted:

Yeah it's more of the second. The thing is we have weekly status updates/meetings to talk about what's going on. If they don't have time to do things that's one thing, we can reshuffle or redelegate but instead of saying 'this is on my to-do list but I don't have time to do it' it never gets brought up until the deadline has passed. So I'm going to be forced to micromanage people like children but I honestly don't have time for that.

We have a lot of things to keep track of and lots of moving parts to multiple projects and it's almost impossible for one person to keep track of everything on their own. This is things like 'When it starts raining we need to put the equipment out for data collection' or 'Can you please send x to y' and they just forget about it until it's too late. It's partly a communication problem.

This got much better for my team when we implemented MS Teams Planner. People get assigned tasks (or add their tasks for independent projects) and then use the checklist feature to mark incremental progress.

I'm the most active user on my team but I find it helpful. I'd otherwise just forget some critical but minor step (like verify latest numbers via email) and forget where I was.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I might look into that. I've been using excel to make task trackers and I'm the only person who even opens the files despite multiple requests to update tasks/update progress % or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We have a product with the abbreviation "Men" and so I just sat through a meeting about how we're doing a great job penetrating with Men. I'm so friggan glad we're auto-muted because by about the 5th "I think Men present a real opportunity for us to drill deeper than we ever have before" I couldn't stop giggling like a child.

Sadly our product "Bi" isn't doing as well.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Outrail posted:

I might look into that. I've been using excel to make task trackers and I'm the only person who even opens the files despite multiple requests to update tasks/update progress % or whatever.

Uh, yeah, we previously used an Excel file on a shared drive and literally nobody looked at it but the manager. I pushed for Planner and I've seen some do-nothings actually go "oh, poo poo, that's in my bucket, ok, I'll do it." Sometimes it's overwhelming to see so many active tasks (see my latest post in the federal government thread), but overall a huge step up in user experience and being accountable.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Betazoid posted:

Uh, yeah, we previously used an Excel file on a shared drive and literally nobody looked at it but the manager. I pushed for Planner and I've seen some do-nothings actually go "oh, poo poo, that's in my bucket, ok, I'll do it." Sometimes it's overwhelming to see so many active tasks (see my latest post in the federal government thread), but overall a huge step up in user experience and being accountable.

:aaa:

You're lying

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
i hate task lists in Excel. they always end up as an impenetrable mass of text with 10 different cell colours for different things. they only really work if one person is updating it and it's their primary focus.

though the worst tasks task management idea was when a manager from another department complained about my rate of progress and kept insisting all tasks got scheduled in outlook. yeah, ok I'll just create events for the 80 items in my task tracker and spend half my time rescheduling them. that will for sure speed up progress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I still think about the boss I had who criticized us for having large inboxes because when she finishes a project she deletes every email related to it. Must be nice nobody ever asks for proof from you down the line.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

stinch posted:

i hate task lists in Excel. they always end up as an impenetrable mass of text with 10 different cell colours for different things. they only really work if one person is updating it and it's their primary focus.

though the worst tasks task management idea was when a manager from another department complained about my rate of progress and kept insisting all tasks got scheduled in outlook. yeah, ok I'll just create events for the 80 items in my task tracker and spend half my time rescheduling them. that will for sure speed up progress.

My last boss was fond of offhandedly asking me to do something either in person or via email and then asking near constantly what the status was. The only form of tracking she could grasp was Outlook tasks. It stopped the nagging but she really wasn't happy when I could pull up exact documentation of when something got finished along with file location on a shared drive because she couldn't poo poo on me anymore and say I didn't do something because she "lost" the email the file was attached to.

A coworker texted me telling me how poo poo everything is and how old boss can't find anyone and has to try to hire out of state. Transcription is a very small field in my old town and everyone knows each other which tells me Word Has Gotten Around and nobody wants to deal with it.

:sickos:

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
We had a system for running our time already in place. A second system was implemented with no beta testing and no training two weeks ago. There were many employee caused and system caused errors. Nobody told anyone that errors would result in employees getting run on leave for the duration of the error by default. Some people were run upwards of 70 hours of leave for the last pay period. Upper management has announced that payroll will fix everything so please don't submit any pay discrepancies to HR. I sent this info to my union rep who didn't understand why it was bad that people were getting run on leave by default and I had to explain it to him. At least he finally understood.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Barudak posted:

I still think about the boss I had who criticized us for having large inboxes because when she finishes a project she deletes every email related to it. Must be nice nobody ever asks for proof from you down the line.

Hachi machi that's insane. My worst manager didn't understand/care that large attachments can be downloaded and filed, so the dept's ancient Outlook shared inbox groaned for three minutes (I timed it) whenever emails were being navigated so you had to be careful to click on the correct one. She had been informed many times by IT that this was insane but refused to change, until one day shrugged and said "sure move those" and problem was instantly fixed.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 28, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

double post nm

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Can someone please explain why software developers can't understand that streamlining a process means making the program require less clicks and less time to complete a task?

Has anyone tried explaining the concept of convenience cost to these fuckers?

E: apparently convenience cost isn't a common term. I've been using it for years with people I work with wtf

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 28, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Outrail posted:

Can someone please explain why software developers can't understand that streamlining a process means making the program require less clicks and less time to complete a task?

Has anyone tried explaining the concept of convenience cost to these fuckers?

Oh we understand, it's usually either that "streamlining it" means doing a big refactor of some legacy code which nobody can be bothered with, or we don't want to make something to easier to do because it'll inevitably lead to people cocking it up and using "Oh i thought it would ask me if I was sure" as an excuse, and nobody wants to deal with rolling back the database.

blunt fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 28, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It's called Cost of Poor Quality in physical products.

Start insisting that by not streamlining programs they're not adhering to standard work and therefore the code is bugged even though it works because it takes too long.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The back end is much streamlined if you pass the decision making parts off to the person clicking buttons.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Welp, our shop is above capacity. Our separate manufacturing division is at capacity. All our vendor fab shops are at capacity. Time to go tell the GC that stainless steel flashing they need in a week isn't happening.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Outrail posted:

Two of the most important books I've ever read and introduced me either directly or indirectly to practices I use today as a software developer are Zen And The Art Of Code Optimization by Michael Abrash (improving performance) and About Face by Alan Cooper (effective/efficent user interfaces).

Both are nearing 25 years old and as far as I can tell, long out of print.

I have to believe there are modern equivalents (*) but based on what I see from the the 20-30 year olds I work with, apparently not?

(*) I actually would like to know.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Please to be streamlining the process is about as useful of a statement as I want a fast car with good gas mileage. Yes, and?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’ve worked with salespeople enough to save all email traffic from them when one comes back and says they never asked or something or we said it was totally okay to do something, only for me or someone else in the department to show them the email.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

bobjr posted:

I’ve worked with salespeople enough to save all email traffic from them when one comes back and says they never asked or something or we said it was totally okay to do something, only for me or someone else in the department to show them the email.

Same but with end users.

There's a reason we keep this image around on my team.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You're last e-mail is asking questions that were answered by my Read the last e-mail t-shirt

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nvidiagouge posted:

We had a system for running our time already in place. A second system was implemented with no beta testing and no training two weeks ago. There were many employee caused and system caused errors. Nobody told anyone that errors would result in employees getting run on leave for the duration of the error by default. Some people were run upwards of 70 hours of leave for the last pay period. Upper management has announced that payroll will fix everything so please don't submit any pay discrepancies to HR. I sent this info to my union rep who didn't understand why it was bad that people were getting run on leave by default and I had to explain it to him. At least he finally understood.

This sounds like TimeClock.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've been trying to get some nice person on the other side of the world to do something very helpful for a project of mine, and the last two times he's been in contact he's asked me two questions answered explicitly by the previous emails. Are you sure you need me to give you my shipping address again, was my laat email and signature both with same address not clear enough?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Marmaduke! posted:

I've been trying to get some nice person on the other side of the world to do something very helpful for a project of mine, and the last two times he's been in contact he's asked me two questions answered explicitly by the previous emails. Are you sure you need me to give you my shipping address again, was my laat email and signature both with same address not clear enough?

I am currently working with someone who has similar qualities. He's not very good at following up on poo poo he'd previously agreed to do.
Then you poke/email/call and the flustered response will be something like "I can't, I am waiting for X to do Y first!" as a first defense sort of thing.
No, X has already done Y before you even agreed to do this, we talked about this!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Some random sales manager included me on an email to a bunch of new hires where she said I was going to be the new hires' "Primary IT tech" for any issues they might have.

I'm sure they'll have a good first impression of her as a boss no that I replied all with a diplomatic version of "I have no idea what you're talking about. No. gently caress no. LOL."

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I was getting quotes on material for one of the architectural elements we've been contracted to do. So far I'm at $49k on steel and specialty sheet metal, it'll probably be in the $60k range once I get the rest of my quotes in, not including labor/welding/fabrication costs (as we gotta outsource a lot since we're at capacity).

I asked my PM, out of curiosity, what we bid this thing at. He looked through the contract and gave me a resigned sigh as he found the line item.

$52k total.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Super Waffle posted:

I was getting quotes on material for one of the architectural elements we've been contracted to do. So far I'm at $49k on steel and specialty sheet metal, it'll probably be in the $60k range once I get the rest of my quotes in, not including labor/welding/fabrication costs (as we gotta outsource a lot since we're at capacity).

I asked my PM, out of curiosity, what we bid this thing at. He looked through the contract and gave me a resigned sigh as he found the line item.

$52k total.

The new way out of everything now is just to say covid supply issues are messing everything up. Sorry our bid is now 150k but you know the rona and stuff.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TotalLossBrain posted:

I am currently working with someone who has similar qualities. He's not very good at following up on poo poo he'd previously agreed to do.
Then you poke/email/call and the flustered response will be something like "I can't, I am waiting for X to do Y first!" as a first defense sort of thing.
No, X has already done Y before you even agreed to do this, we talked about this!

I hate this poo poo. Doesn't really matter what you say, as long as it requires someone else to do something you've put the onus of work on someone else. It's incredibly lazy and hard to defend against. Kind of similar to the 'I'm just asking questions' school of debate.

The alternative is the person is dumber than a bag of rocks, or both.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

bobjr posted:

A couple jobs ago I had a manager who blamed me when a competitor/customer took an idea I had and ran with it, generating huge additional sales for them while we couldn't get it off the ground. When she inevitably tried to throw me under the bus with her manager (it's a small and shrinking industry, it got out pretty quickly the other company had started using the system I devised) the concept of someone saving their emails hadn't occurred to her and in five minutes it went from "I can't believe you sabotaged your own idea" to "you can leave now, I need to talk to Ann in private." Which was probably also the point where she started to dislike me. Always save your emails.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

nvidiagouge posted:

The new way out of everything now is just to say covid supply issues are messing everything up. Sorry our bid is now 150k but you know the rona and stuff.

Lmao no, not sure if works that way in other industries but mine absolutely does not. Contracts are lump sum based on an RFP package that's blind bid out to several vendors; a change order for more money for the same scope will get you laughed out of the room.

At this point we are losing money hand over fist on this job and are $4mil in the hole because every single element was underbid, through either incompetence or intentionally so that we ensured we came in as lowest bidder.

But speaking of change orders, the previously mentioned PM has been doing a deep dive through all of them and comparing the actual work done versus what was charged for in the CO, at the behest of our CFO. He's gone through the first 3 and has discovered our VP has essentially given away $250k of work. He's got 40 more to get through. VP doesn't know that PM has a bullet with his name on it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Super Waffle posted:

At this point we are losing money hand over fist on this job and are $4mil in the hole because every single element was underbid, through either incompetence or intentionally so that we ensured we came in as lowest bidder.

Isn’t the traditional solution to this to keep bidding more and more competitively for new business, using the fees from new business to pay for the existing projects, until you collapse and get bailed out by the government?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
FYI youre supposed to make a criminally low bid without taking into account all sorts of stupid scenarios* outlined in the 'Assumptions' fine text. Once you have the job submit dozens of cost variations due to unforeseen circumstances.

* Poor weather
* Increasing base material costs
* Tuesdays
* Staff capacity issues
* Site access impediments
* Cows
* Fridays
* Other circumstances beyond our control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So I go through managers on a regular basis. Nothing exactly surprising, it's just that Amazon is expanding and my facility is one of the better FCs so corporate really likes to promote from the FC in hopes they'll bring whatever dark magic keeps a medium-sized building that's 5 years old (literally ancient in Amazon terms) in the top ten network wide to wherever they move to. If you get on the management train you're guaranteed to be moving up here. In the 4 years I've worked here I've had like...15 managers and only 1 has gotten fired vs. being promoted.

My latest manager is...a nice guy but he's also not the sharpest tool in the shed by far. He started chatting with me last night and he's all "...I have no idea how they are going to keep anyone if upper management keeps ignoring my suggestion of paying everyone more..."

On one hand I find it hilarious that its getting bad enough that I know of at least one manager starting to crack. On the other hand, as I said this guy's not the brightest bulb and doesn't seem to notice that the people actually in charge of the money view him as yet another peasant like the rest of us and thus his opinions aren't actually desired.