Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Not sure why they call them tidal bores because that's pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah my old warehouse/manufacturing inventory job id walk 8-11 miles a day and that’s while carrying poo poo. Wasn’t a huge place, they made custom wheel chairs. Hard part was no computer tracking just old card stock system. So most of the day was walking around looking for parts.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/RCDeHdL.mp4

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Maybe I'll become a chip truck driver.

Join the dark side. It's fun, we get up to a lot of dumb bullshit. No boss over your shoulder, you only really have to work after one other person, you get to manage expectations on your own, to a point. Sure, you must wake up early, but you'll be done early, too. It's just all the responsibility is on you and no one else. 100% every day, so you can give 80% percent when you feel like 70% will do (you will be hungover on those days).

As stated above, you'll be moving a lot, and quickly. Short periods of intense work followed by a bit of driving where you can be alone with your thoughts.

Lots of driving around at night, watching what goes on in your city when everyone's asleep. You will see some poo poo, roll with it. You might find that the people in the shittiest parts of town are the kindest to you, the most helpful. You might find people in your own neighborhood treat you like poo poo when you're working.

You might see a man walk out from a bush while you unload onto the road, and the conversation may go something like this:

"Morning."

"Morning. Where did you come from?"

"The bushes."

"I see that."

"Oh, sorry. I live in the bushes."

"Ahhh, ok. Need anything?"

"Gotta smoke?"

"Sure, take a couple."

You'll see all those late night traffic accidents with fatalities. You'll see the cops raid places that end up on the 6 o'clock news. You'll see poo poo on fire. You'll see random people stop to help one another at 3am, with no reward and no expectation of such.

You'll get propositioned by the most interesting folks,

"Oh, you a strong young man. Baby, I got what you need. Want me to be your lady? Want me to be your man?"

Noooooo?

"Hey, could you drive me a few counties over? You do coke? I have coke."

Noooooo.

"Our car broke down. It's just me and the kid. Is there any way you could take us to Wal-Mart?"

Yeah, I can do that. Hop in.

All that said, I got into it through family. The guy that brought me in and I have a running joke: at 2am, we'll say to each other, "If I remembered who convinced me to do this poo poo in the first place, we'd be having words. The dude must have been loving' with me."

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Hello new ringtone.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pretty sure my brother's model train set had one of those re-railing thingies.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Use our app to decide if you live, die or go insane!

(do not use our app, actually)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But we already have lots of social media apps

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

ReelBigLizard posted:

Use our app to decide if you live, die or go insane!

(do not use our app, actually)

Depends. Is the app a wrapper for a paid video call to on-call professional mycologists familiar with the fungi in your area, who works with you to determine what they are?

Lol I bet it's a lovely image recognition thing. Countdown to mycotoxin death:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

Depends. Is the app a wrapper for a paid video call to on-call professional mycologists familiar with the fungi in your area, who works with you to determine what they are?

Lol I bet it's a lovely image recognition thing. Countdown to mycotoxin death:

It's like the hot dog app from Silicon Valley.

It just says mushroom or no mushroom.

https://i.imgur.com/NT0GK0J.mp4

Somebody is about to get Jimmy Hoffa'd

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

This is sped up right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RatHat posted:

This is sped up right?

No, but it is reversed. he's actually building a car.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Powershift posted:

Somebody is about to get Jimmy Honda'd

ftfy

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r1jyeoACAM1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r1jxi1eNrb1r0uzl6.mp4

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/Su4rDns.mp4

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

The guy going back and forth in the foreground with absolutely no problems is loving hilarious.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I've never done this activity myself but it feels like you're not supposed to get that high.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wtf no

A visual inspection is insufficient for many mushrooms, no matter how thorough. You have to take spore prints.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

8one6 posted:

I've never done this activity myself but it feels like you're not supposed to get that high.
I think that's a good attitude but there are plenty of kite surfers who lean a bit more into paragliding with their purpose and kit. There's occasional whoopsie doodle stories of people with a simple kite hitting a thermal and going flying but YouTubes are gonna tend to be of people strapped into a paraglider and a board and flying on purpose.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Actor Cliff Simon died earlier this year while Kite Surfing. The way you can easily be taken away is just... terrifying.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

https://twitter.com/roob_drummer/status/1193903792334524416?lang=en

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://i.imgur.com/R3FBjQw.mp4

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

OSHA IV: We slidin

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Smart, put it down by all the batteries

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

It's like the end of windmill drumline

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Platystemon posted:

wtf no

A visual inspection is insufficient for many mushrooms, no matter how thorough. You have to take spore prints.

I have never heard of people doing that, and I live in a country where picking mushrooms is a common sport!

I guess the key is to choose mushrooms that are easy to identify and hard to mistake for a different mushroom, especially a deadly one. This is how mushroom identification guides work in general. No app is going to be able to tell you from visual data if any mushroom is "edible or poisonous". We don't even know all fungi, let alone what they do to human body... But I could see some kind of localized mushroom identification app that looks at the mushroom, then compares it to a database of known safe to eat mushrooms typical to that area at that time of the year, then asks further questions of their qualities when handled. An interactive identification guide. It still wouldn't be infallible, but people already are going with that much data and mostly don't get poisoned. It's hard to mistake a European chantarellus for something else if you're not actively trying to be stupid.

Obviously that app is not that, as the fine print states. "PictureMushroom can tell if this mushroom is edible!* *please only eat mushrooms you purchase from professionals". It's fortunate that people always read EULA's carefully.

By the way, I remember one case of a new mushroom guide book that had already gone to bookshops when the publisher sent errata slips to them because a common edible mushroom's edibility rating was put on the page of a poisonous mushroom's description, and vice versa. I bet someone's face was red after that!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

That's just a reversed slomo video of partisans de-railing a Nazi train.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Nuevocentos/status/1452618320843141120

It really does get worse, well worth the 2 minute watch.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Congrats to the happy couple on their purchase of a used U-haul.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nenonen posted:

I have never heard of people doing that, and I live in a country where picking mushrooms is a common sport!

I guess the key is to choose mushrooms that are easy to identify and hard to mistake for a different mushroom, especially a deadly one.

Yeah so the top culprit of mushroom poisoning in North America is this thing:

Chlorophyllum molybdite

It’s a dead ringer for the edible parasol:

Macrolepiota procera

Really, you shouldn’t gently caress around with either of these, even experts get suckered by this lookalike, but if take a spore print and see green, run.

That suckered expert talks about some other factors that could have clued him in to the difference, such as where the mushroom grows and what time of year it matures in. Good getting that nuance through to a neural network.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That's very true, but there are also mushrooms that don't have an easily confused counterpart. Morels are a good example. That said, I wouldn't pick other mushrooms without being taught in person first even though my local mushroom ID book makes it look pretty straightforward.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mozi posted:

That's very true, but there are also mushrooms that don't have an easily confused counterpart. Morels are a good example. That said, I wouldn't pick other mushrooms without being taught in person first even though my local mushroom ID book makes it look pretty straightforward.

Found a perfectly ready to eat puffball in our woods just yesterday, about 6” across. Cut it into slabs, breaded, and fried. Delicious. Weren’t even looking, just noticed it across the creek. Pretty hard to mistake anything for these once they’re this size.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Nenonen posted:

By the way, I remember one case of a new mushroom guide book that had already gone to bookshops when the publisher sent errata slips to them because a common edible mushroom's edibility rating was put on the page of a poisonous mushroom's description, and vice versa. I bet someone's face was red after that!
And possibly a whole variety of other colors depending on what poisonous mushroom they ate :v:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

Found a perfectly ready to eat puffball in our woods just yesterday, about 6” across. Cut it into slabs, breaded, and fried. Delicious. Weren’t even looking, just noticed it across the creek. Pretty hard to mistake anything for these once they’re this size.

You have no idea how hyper jealous I am of you.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we got a new puff daddy over here

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ChesterJT posted:

The guy going back and forth in the foreground with absolutely no problems is loving hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvJJiLX3K20

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!

Bugsy posted:

They were obviously under the influence of the mushrooms on the side of the truck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Isn’t that from last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Isn’t that from last year?

Yes