Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Also the lavender background in BYOB theme disappears (turns white) the instant you begin scrolling a thread:

If you leave the thread unmoving for a few seconds, the lavender background returns:

e: Awful v5.10 on iOS 14.8 on iPhone 12 Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Only posting this again because it is mildly annoying.

If you save a draft and go back or forward a page it deletes the draft.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Euphoriaphone posted:

Just chiming in to say the fix for the dark mode scroll bar in today’s update works flawlessly on both my iPhone and iPad

Also notable - the scroll bar remained when the app was punted from memory and I opened it again so it appears to be a good fix whatever was done. Either way now I can update to iPadOS 15 so yay

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Grace Baiting posted:

Also the lavender background in BYOB theme disappears (turns white) the instant you begin scrolling a thread:

If you leave the thread unmoving for a few seconds, the lavender background returns:

e: Awful v5.10 on iOS 14.8 on iPhone 12 Pro

Whoops, sorry about that. Have you considered joining the beta? I'd appreciate it as you've caught a few things that we've missed! No pressure tho :)

I should be able to sort this quite quickly, but the fix will have to go through a new beta and then review again

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Just reporting that on iPadOS 15.1 and iOS 14.8.1, I’ve got Automatic Dark Mode on but despite both devices switching to Light Mode during daytime, the apps are stuck in Dark Mode.

A manual toggle works, but turning Automatic Dark Mode on puts them back into Dark Mode.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Chasiubao posted:

Just reporting that on iPadOS 15.1 and iOS 14.8.1, I’ve got Automatic Dark Mode on but despite both devices switching to Light Mode during daytime, the apps are stuck in Dark Mode.

A manual toggle works, but turning Automatic Dark Mode on puts them back into Dark Mode.

Alrighty, here's the second report for this issue that shows it's not a one-off. Will revert a small change and hopefully that will sort it

I couldn't repro this, so thanks for posting !

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

commie kong posted:

Alrighty, here's the second report for this issue that shows it's not a one-off. Will revert a small change and hopefully that will sort it

I couldn't repro this, so thanks for posting !

As a developer I appreciate how annoying no repro bugs can be, so thank you for the prompt reply!

Is there any info about my setup that might help?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Chiming in that I’m running into the auto dark mode issue as well, 13Pro running 15.1. Let me know how I can help.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

commie kong posted:

Whoops, sorry about that. Have you considered joining the beta? I'd appreciate it as you've caught a few things that we've missed! No pressure tho :)

I should be able to sort this quite quickly, but the fix will have to go through a new beta and then review again

Join the beta?? And let you steal MY nano5G's?!? :freep: pm sent

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Grace Baiting posted:

Join the beta?? And let you steal MY nano5G's?!? :freep: pm sent

Should be able to use the link in the OP

carry on then posted:

If you'd like to beta test new versions of Awful, visit this link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/530cS7a7

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Warbird posted:

Chiming in that I’m running into the auto dark mode issue as well, 13Pro running 15.1. Let me know how I can help.

Just confirming I also have this same issue.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zero One posted:

Just confirming I also have this same issue.

Same, 6s with 15.0.2.

Edit: also iPad mini (5th gen) with 15.0.2.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 28, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

lol ok everyone can stop telling me now :(

Lots of people use automatic dark mode, huh! Good news is, bromance said the previous version is fine and not much was added in this latest version.

I added a couple of lines that set the app's dark/light global appearance based on theme, because although darkmode-like themes were active, the Mode wasn't always actually set. I figured this was contributing to misstyled components (like the scroll thumb), but now I suspect this is causing issues with the automated switching (tho it did work in my testing).

Anyway, I'll revert that change and leave a warning for others. I should be able to do that while retaining the scroll thumb fix.

I mostly just need more folks in the beta to scream *during* beta :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I need to get off my rear end and recompile the dev version more often, I always miss these things. At least, it can be made to happen even when toggling dark/light in control center, otherwise it’s be a real pain in the rear end to debug

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Quick question, does this support 120hz on the 13 Pro? I'm thinking of jumping ship and this is an oddly large factor

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Quick question, does this support 120hz on the 13 Pro? I'm thinking of jumping ship and this is an oddly large factor

It supports it on the iPad Pro so no reason why it shouldn’t t

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Also spoiler alert I’ve been working on some 120fps animations to replace the current 25fps throbbers / animations. A very exciting update coming up in the not too distant future!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spanky the dolphin posted:

Also spoiler alert I’ve been working on some 120fps animations to replace the current 25fps throbbers / animations. A very exciting update coming up in the not too distant future!

Can’t wait to see :dance: in 120hz!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

As others have said, it works fine. I have a 2021 12.9" Pro with the fancypants screen and it works as any other web-browser-type application would. I can't imagine what you were worried about, actually - what possible 120hz content is there on SA?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

shortspecialbus posted:

As others have said, it works fine. I have a 2021 12.9" Pro with the fancypants screen and it works as any other web-browser-type application would. I can't imagine what you were worried about, actually - what possible 120hz content is there on SA?

Scrolling actually. When I posted that I didn't realize 120hz scrolling was baked in and animations were the thing devs had to opt into

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yes Awful works just as well on on a 13 Pro as the iPad Pro. System animations and Id imagine anything we’d get by defining start and end properties and allowing the animation framework to do the tweening are already at 120fps, but sprite animations where we just have a set of frames to show will not. Looking forward to the refreshed sprites!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I wish I wasn't so old that I couldn't tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz scrolling.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I'm hoping the new beta has sorted automatic dork mode?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

dork mode is always enabled. not a bug.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Am I wrong to think that the iOS version of this app blows the Android version out of the water?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I wrong to think that the iOS version of this app blows the Android version out of the water?

Oh hey one more random question that this reminded me of. One of my annoyances on the Android app is when scrolling through thread lists and threads themselves, the title bar up top and page indicator remain visible. Wasted space. I swear the iOS app moved them out of the way like Safari does when you start scrolling down. Am I misremembering? Is it still that way if not?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

hey i know 5000 people said their auto dark mode was being dark all the time. but i have the opposite issue. it's 10:51pm and everything is in dark mode but the awful app believes it's light mode time.
ios 15.0.2.
not on the beta, so i think the app is 5.10?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

shortspecialbus posted:

I wish I wasn't so old that I couldn't tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz scrolling.

It's not really any age thing (maybe to some extent), just a physiological thing that people have different sensitivity to. You may be more sensitive with your cones too.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

shortspecialbus posted:

Yeah I’m old but I’ve never even thought of or noticed scrolling performance on my iPhones

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apologies if this has been posted before but is there a fix for OLED screens flashing/changing brightness in dark mode?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The difference is very evident for me and pretty much sold me on the phone.

b_d posted:

hey i know 5000 people said their auto dark mode was being dark all the time. but i have the opposite issue. it's 10:51pm and everything is in dark mode but the awful app believes it's light mode time.
ios 15.0.2.
not on the beta, so i think the app is 5.10?

The problem is that the app doesn't act on the signal to toggle the theme, so you have the same problem as everyone else and it should be fixed next release.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apologies if this has been posted before but is there a fix for OLED screens flashing/changing brightness in dark mode?

I don't remember anyone reporting this issue, do you have more detail about what's happening?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

carry on then posted:

I don't remember anyone reporting this issue, do you have more detail about what's happening?

Ive been trying to screenshot the issue, but it’s independent of what’s on the display vs the backlight, if that makes any sense. I can’t screenshot it but I can try to photograph or represent it in some other way.

I scroll, I type, I move my phone around, and the brightness of the display, specifically the brightness/color temp of the black background, fluctuates rapidly. It gets darker and brighter and darker again, I assume as the ambient light sensor is triggered.

As far as I know this only happens in Awful App, it’s a fairly consistent but not omnipresent issue going back as far as I can remember.

iPhone 12 Pro, dark mode enabled, True Tone enabled.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Maybe related to the Dark Mode issue: Awful is crashing my SwiftKey keyboard. It works in all other apps but consistently crashes when I try to start a reply.

I say I think it's related because I have an automatic dark mode theme for my keyboard and it would be mismatched to Awful's theme. I turned the auto dark mode theme keyboard off and that allowed me to use the keyboard again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ok Comboomer posted:

I scroll, I type, I move my phone around, and the brightness of the display, specifically the brightness/color temp of the black background, fluctuates rapidly. It gets darker and brighter and darker again, I assume as the ambient light sensor is triggered.

I’ve seen something like this too, yeah. Never thought it would be Awful-related but now that I think of it I don’t recall it happening with any other app. Hmm.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jose Valasquez posted:

The flow that seems to happen for me is that I bring up the image picker from the post window, I pick an image, it shows up in my post, and then about 25% of the time iOS asks if I want to share more pictures with the app after it has already been picked and is being displayed in the post. It doesn’t matter what I pick at that point, I can still post the image. So it does sound like it’s getting unnecessarily triggered during the flow since (if I understand correctly) it sounds like me explicitly picking a picture from the standard picker is sufficient to give the app access even if I haven’t added it to the partial picture library thing

You got it. And that is a surprisingly frequent prompt.

Warbird posted:

Speaking of, the login screen’s “I have a password manager” widget on the password line is a bit fuckey. Tapping it just pulls up Google Keep of all things and none of my actual password managers. It could be on the PM’s side, but it’s surprising it would bypass 1Password and LastPass both. Minor issue as best now that iOS has proper integration for that sort of thing now.

Yeah we should be using the built-in thing when possible. I'll add it to the list. Though I think commie was looking at this at some point? Not sure if that landed.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The most minuscule thing; latest iOS on iPad, latest app: if I add an image from my photo library with '{Img} -> from library' if I then put a carriage return in to type a line when you submit the post, the text is still on the same line as the image, it needs 2x CR to drop the text below the image.

Appreciate it, not only does this kinda stuff bug me too, but I'm always on the lookout for text view oddities because of the "removing smart quotes" thing.

b_d posted:

maybe related - on iphone, the view doesn't scroll all the way down after inserting an image, so the line you're typing on is behind the keyboard. i have to hit return a couple times so i can see some lines under the image.

Will add it to the list!

quote:

Oh that reminds me of a more impactful bug! Sometimes, but not always, when I have a post with text in it, and I add an image, and then add a SECOND image, the app will immediately crash. when this happens, it happens consistently – I quote the same post and add the same images and it crashes again. In every case so far, I can work around this by inserting both images in a blank post and THEN pasting in the text. I think the images are usually pretty high-res, might be part of the problem.

Just to double-check, because I have an old issue about crashing on upload: you're seeing the crash before trying to submit the post?

Grace Baiting posted:

Hellz yeah, I hope this has fixed all such cases!!

From the secuck thread:

Tapping on this link does nothing, but it crashes Awful if you long-press it and choose "Open in Awful"; choosing one of the other options like "Open in Safari" does nothing instead. (Copying the URL and pasting it into Safari instead pops up an error message "Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid.", rather than crashing.)

Welp, will take a look!

MarcusSA posted:

I'm amazed I haven't run into this. Will +1 on the list!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh hey one more random question that this reminded me of. One of my annoyances on the Android app is when scrolling through thread lists and threads themselves, the title bar up top and page indicator remain visible. Wasted space. I swear the iOS app moved them out of the way like Safari does when you start scrolling down. Am I misremembering? Is it still that way if not?

It might have at some point long ago, I remember playing with it but it's hard to do well. If we ever shipped it, it was years ago.

Zero One posted:

Maybe related to the Dark Mode issue: Awful is crashing my SwiftKey keyboard. It works in all other apps but consistently crashes when I try to start a reply.

I say I think it's related because I have an automatic dark mode theme for my keyboard and it would be mismatched to Awful's theme. I turned the auto dark mode theme keyboard off and that allowed me to use the keyboard again.

Are you on the beta? If not, I just sent the build off to App Review and it'll be out a day or two. Curious if dark mode fixes resolve this issue.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Just tried this out and my draft was preserved. Can you describe in more detail what you're doing when the draft disappears? Possibly relevant bits may include: following links to other posts in the thread, showing posts from a single user.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Just tried this out and my draft was preserved. Can you describe in more detail what you're doing when the draft disappears? Possibly relevant bits may include: following links to other posts in the thread, showing posts from a single user.

Of course it works now… lol

When I made the post I went back two pages to find a quote then forward the two pages to quote something else.

The quote from 2 pages back was gone.

I’ll fiddle with it and see if I can reproduce it. If not probably a one off!

Thanks!

Edit yeah I can’t reproduce it lol probably just something on my end. Ignore it! Thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Hey commie kong, I'd like to bump the minimum SDK to iOS 13. I've got something that compiles on branch ios-13-min-sdk. When I realized I'll need to consolidate the thread list long-press popover with the 3D Touch/long-press preview, I figured you must've been down this road in your fork with spanky. Did you bump to iOS 13 too?

I'm not in a rush and I don't want to (further) complicate your life with merge conflicts, so if you'd rather I hold off that's ok with me.

MarcusSA posted:

Edit yeah I can’t reproduce it lol probably just something on my end. Ignore it! Thanks!

All good! You weren't the only one to mention it so I can believe there's an issue here somewhere.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

pokeyman posted:

Hey commie kong, I'd like to bump the minimum SDK to iOS 13.

Phwoar, that's an exciting change! I don't have any builds that change the target, but I do have one that splits the app into two pathways on startup. I found that I could enable SceneDelegate and effectively split the app so that under ios13 loads UIKit as it currently does today, but over ios13 also executes scenedelegate, modern apis and SwiftUI.

I was hoping to add a setting so that people could switch back to Old UI if they hated the new stuff, tho I'd build SwiftUI to be as visually close to current as possible. But then I can easily add new screens and features going forward :)

But, if we're going straight to 13+ anyway then we don't need anything like that. We could even go ahead with the 1Password helper removal

And we can jump straight into swift concurrency :getin:

TLDR yeah I have no issues :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lmao i have no background in apple development so i'm gonna sit back and see what comes out of this