Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

We'll be like a global prison wing, sharpening plastic trash into weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, not exactly. It's all sitting on the surface right now. All that precious steel and concrete will still be there to be repurposed.

Yeah it's kind of the exact opposite, at least as far as metals go. If we went stone age today then 2000 years from now people would just quarry skyscrapers for rebar.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Mining, as in digging into the earth to extract non-organic raw materials, is probably as old as hominid lithic tool use. Because it's really really really easy to understand that rocks come from the ground.

This causes issues because you get material sources that get exhausted prehistorically and if you don't realize that things get confusing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tulip posted:

Yeah it's kind of the exact opposite, at least as far as metals go. If we went stone age today then 2000 years from now people would just quarry skyscrapers for rebar.

just like people did every time a civilization collapsed and an abandoned city/monument was right there full of building materials

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some trilingual billboard built into the wall of some shelter of the future will end up being the rosetta stone that finally cracks english for future historians.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tulip posted:

Yeah those Sentinelese islanders made weapons and tools from a freighter that ran aground off their island.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Mining, as in digging into the earth to extract non-organic raw materials, is probably as old as hominid lithic tool use. Because it's really really really easy to understand that rocks come from the ground.

You don't need to be a hominid to work in the salt mines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rAQekwvL0

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

In many cases, yeah. Lots of poo poo used to be just ripe for the taking. It's not anymore because all the peoples of the past already found the easy to get stuff.

People are smart enough to figure out pretty quick if a little bit of shiny rock is visible on the surface, a lot probably is underground.

The earliest mining I'm aware of was for flint, which was valuable stuff and an excellent trade good.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tunicate posted:

You don't need to be a hominid to work in the salt mines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rAQekwvL0

Yeah I was trying to cut out things that get eaten with the whole non-organic thing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The real problem with a post nuclear apocalypse rebuilding will be fossil fuels. We’ve used up all the stuff even an industrial society can access. And unlike metals and plastics and such it goes away when used or goes bad quickly so our mad max descendants can’t scavenge it from the ruins. And without the ease of fossil fuels you can’t work yourself up to the level of nuclear, wind, and solar. A true nukpacolypse might very well doom the species even if it doesn’t actually kill us.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

galagazombie posted:

The real problem with a post nuclear apocalypse rebuilding will be fossil fuels. We’ve used up all the stuff even an industrial society can access. And unlike metals and plastics and such it goes away when used or goes bad quickly so our mad max descendants can’t scavenge it from the ruins. And without the ease of fossil fuels you can’t work yourself up to the level of nuclear, wind, and solar. A true nukpacolypse might very well doom the species even if it doesn’t actually kill us.

There's more than enough coal to fuel several apocalypses.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The conversation has been had in multiple places on SA but I'm not really convinced that lack of fossil fuels is really a insurmountable barrier.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kaal posted:

There's more than enough coal to fuel several apocalypses.

It's like a boiling-water nuclear reactor. Humans burn coal, global temperatures rise, humans die off, greenhouse emissions drop, temperatures gradually decrease, human population increases again, humans burn more coal...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Also IIRC hydrogen powered engines and gasoline powered engines were developed at about the same time, it's just gasoline won out due to it being slightly less explody and cheaper to use. In a hypothetical post-apocalyptic world, the crows may stick with hydrogen power if fossil fuels aren't around.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The Lone Badger posted:

It's like a boiling-water nuclear reactor. Humans burn coal, global temperatures rise, humans die off, greenhouse emissions drop, temperatures gradually decrease, human population increases again, humans burn more coal...

Yeah it's a pretty dark future, but it certainly seems hypothetically feasible. Current estimates are that the planet has something like 130 years of coal left at current use and with no other exploration.

sullat posted:

Also IIRC hydrogen powered engines and gasoline powered engines were developed at about the same time, it's just gasoline won out due to it being slightly less explody and cheaper to use. In a hypothetical post-apocalyptic world, the crows may stick with hydrogen power if fossil fuels aren't around.

Creating hydrogen from coal is quite easy to do. It's called brown or black hydrogen, depending on the type of coal. Using gas probably would require a higher level of technical ability, but it also can be converted into grey or blue hydrogen.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 29, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

People spent thousands of years traveling either by foot or horse.

I don't think going back to that is insurmountable especially after some theoretical collapse of society.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

We are really bad/good(?) at going "They don't have X so they can't have Y" and then finding out they do indeed have Y they just do it in a completely different way since they don't have X.

We then go "Giants/Angels/Aliens did it".

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

skasion posted:

China is an interesting case because they had ironworking from a pretty early date, but bronze was a way bigger and more prestigious thing from prehistory on. IIRC as late as the Spring and Autumn they’re still mostly using bronze for weapons and armor, and iron adoption is directly driven by the increasing scale of armies under the Warring States.

They kinda didn't have iron from that early. There are very occasional artifacts earlier, almost entirely bloomery stuff from the Central Asian provinces, but actual ironworking doesn't really happen in China proper until around 500 BCE. Bronze too for that matter appeared relatively late compared to other parts of Eurasia. Early Chinese civilization is a pretty good example of the fallibility of the "age" system of development, since you get social complexity very comparable to that of Near Eastern bronze working societies in a society that was technically neolithic.

For that matter while they were "late" to metallurgy, they beat everyone else to the punch with ceramics both chronologically and qualitatively, which let them hit the ground running when they actually did start ironworking in quantity.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

We are really bad/good(?) at going "They don't have X so they can't have Y" and then finding out they do indeed have Y they just do it in a completely different way since they don't have X.

We then go "Giants/Angels/Aliens did it".

Yeah this. For some reason it's extremely difficult to imagine someone else taking a different route to Y. And what's even more difficult is imagining a different thing that is not Y but is equivalent to Y.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Aztecs show how you can get pretty drat good with no more metallurgy than copper, and in a society that doesn't really use the wheel despite having discovered it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd really prefer if our post collapse society didn't resemble the Aztecs in any way.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Well given how water levels are rising, their ability to farm in brackish swampland may be just what we need.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd really prefer if our post collapse society didn't resemble the Aztecs in any way.

Do you want the sun to go away?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I have full faith that a kindly torturer will eventually come and restart the sun/Kill all life on the planet in a cleansing flood

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm red haired, so yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Being high all day on your pontoon city seems like an ok life idk.

I guess it was man made islands not pontoons

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Insect eggs as a staple may come back in style.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Oh yes. If ~10 billion humans want to continue eating sufficient protein on ever-shrinking amounts of arable land thanks to climate change while not contributing further to the environmental devastation livestock causes, we better get a lot more used to eating insect, fungal, and plant proteins. The 20th century western idea of 'it's not a "real" meal if there isn't meat on the table' only has a few years left.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I will work the mycogen tanks

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I will perish slowly inside the mycogen tanks

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gaius Marius posted:

So, no compulsory public education,and no sanitation service?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

I will perish slowly inside the mycogen tanks

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and to become one with all the people.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grevling posted:

Insect eggs as a staple may come back in style.

"May?" Just last year I learned in parts of South America a certain type of fly egg is seen as a local staple food. It was apparently an important protein source in the Aztec Empire and the poorer parts of the population never stopped eating it.

In parts of the world insect eggs/larvae apparently never went out of style

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

sullat posted:

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and to become one with all the people.

*grinning and dying of several cancers and two viruses* Dinner's on me tonight

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

*grinning and dying of several cancers and two viruses* Dinner's me tonight

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Imagined posted:

Oh yes. If ~10 billion humans want to continue eating sufficient protein on ever-shrinking amounts of arable land thanks to climate change while not contributing further to the environmental devastation livestock causes, we better get a lot more used to eating insect, fungal, and plant proteins. The 20th century western idea of 'it's not a "real" meal if there isn't meat on the table' only has a few years left.

I'm working my hardest.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure if it's really clear how much the amount of arable land will shrink from climate change, given that as some regions heat up too much (and I'm not really sure if it's heat itself that makes regions bad for crops as opposed to just worsening irrigation), many formerly unusable cold regions will thaw out and become available. And that's disregarding other prospective methods to increase the potential for farming density, potential technologies for developing new crops for the now too-hot areas, or even the capacity for humanity to contain or reverse climate change.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I mean if you could get the Midwest to grow something other than corn and soybeans you can feed a lot of people too

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure if it's really clear how much the amount of arable land will shrink from climate change, given that as some regions heat up too much (and I'm not really sure if it's heat itself that makes regions bad for crops as opposed to just worsening irrigation), many formerly unusable cold regions will thaw out and become available. And that's disregarding other prospective methods to increase the potential for farming density, potential technologies for developing new crops for the now too-hot areas, or even the capacity for humanity to contain or reverse climate change.

Siberia isn't so much becoming arable as [i]literally exploding.[/i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Libluini posted:

"May?" Just last year I learned in parts of South America a certain type of fly egg is seen as a local staple food. It was apparently an important protein source in the Aztec Empire and the poorer parts of the population never stopped eating it.

In parts of the world insect eggs/larvae apparently never went out of style

Yeah that's true. Does anyone still harvest them at the same scale as the Aztecs though? Too bad Lake Texcoco and its delicious eggs are gone now.