Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure if it's really clear how much the amount of arable land will shrink from climate change, given that as some regions heat up too much (and I'm not really sure if it's heat itself that makes regions bad for crops as opposed to just worsening irrigation), many formerly unusable cold regions will thaw out and become available. And that's disregarding other prospective methods to increase the potential for farming density, potential technologies for developing new crops for the now too-hot areas, or even the capacity for humanity to contain or reverse climate change.

Even if the amount of farmable land were to actually increase, the environmental impact of factory scale livestock is unsustainable and the greenhouse gasses produced in the process intolerable. As places that were formerly 'third world' (e.g. China, India, the Philippines) achieve higher standards of living (and who would blame them?) it would be utterly ruinous if they wanted to eat particularly beef and pork in the amounts Americans consume every single day. Just trying to feed 300 million Americans beef every day is already destroying entire continents, imagine if there were 2 or 3 billion people eating like Americans.

Anyway, if it's OK with everybody else I feel like I'm derailing the thread and would prefer not to continue on this particular topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tulip posted:

Siberia isn't so much becoming arable as literally exploding.

The tundra/taiga can be made arable, but it will require decades of land management and effort to do so. Climate change likely will incentivize that though, so in 2090 or whatever there may indeed be farming in northern canada/siberia

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not eating bugs

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm not eating bugs

haha you fool. more bugs for the rest of us

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Read this https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredients-additives-gras-packaging-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/food-defect-levels-handbook

You're already eating bugs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm not eating bugs

you should probably eat bugs

most of the attempts to break into the american market have them ground into a flour anyways so it's not even buggy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Eat more crabs and desensitize yourself to the chitinous.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's true that crustaceans are just bugs with a number of legs other than 6 or 8

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

it's true that crustaceans are just bugs with a number of legs other than 6 or 8

Also they're self-brining

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hell pay me some money and I’ll go down to the shore and grind up a couple small shore crabs into a paste and mash it with a potato cake. Doubt it will kill me.

I already bought a hand grinder and was considering trying out small perch ground up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Crab Dad posted:

Hell pay me some money and I’ll go down to the shore and grind up a couple small shore crabs into a paste and mash it with a potato cake. Doubt it will kill me.

I already bought a hand grinder and was considering trying out small perch ground up.

very powerful username/post combo, thank you for this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Eat more crabs and desensitize yourself to the chitinous.

Crab Dad posted:

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

I don't think I can trust you

cheetah7071 posted:

you should probably eat bugs

most of the attempts to break into the american market have them ground into a flour anyways so it's not even buggy

no

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd really prefer if our post collapse society didn't resemble the Aztecs in any way.

I don't know if you're alluding to the human sacrifice that was practiced by the Aztecs, but we actually have that in the USA if you live here. It's just called the death penalty.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bodhidharma posted:

I don't know if you're alluding to the human sacrifice that was practiced by the Aztecs, but we actually have that in the USA if you live here. It's just called the death penalty.

Original recipe for porzole/menudo was effective use resources.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Crab Dad posted:

The rare post-username-avatar hat trick!

Edit: gently caress, beaten like a crab into paste!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I enjoyed this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPMiWwqX4wI

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm not eating bugs

That's fine, we grilled you a wormburger instead

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I can't remember seeing anything about bugs as food in ancient literature. Societies eating bugs are more common than ones that don't, so I would think it wasn't unusual. Maybe it was a class thing though. The recipes we have are all fancy poo poo just by the fact that they were collected in a book, nobody was writing down peasant food.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Bugs aren't easy to harvest, in temperate climates. Aside from silkworms, I doubt any of them were regularly eaten.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
John the Baptist is written to have liked his honeyed crickets, not that scripture is the most reliable historical source.

Also, while they're not insects, snails can be farmed easily. You can throw them spoiled perishables and get a fatter snail out of the deal, and they're great for ancient travellers because "don't kill it until you need to eat it" is a perfectly good preservation method.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Azza Bamboo posted:

John the Baptist is written to have liked his honeyed crickets, not that scripture is the most reliable historical source.

Also, while they're not insects, snails can be farmed easily. You can throw them spoiled perishables and get a fatter snail out of the deal, and they're great for ancient travellers because "don't kill it until you need to eat it" is a perfectly good preservation method.

Best of all, the snails you're going to be eating are the common garden snails that you find in your garden. Zero investment to get your farm going.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Snails are not bugs, fools

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Snails are a type of primitive land octopus.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If it doesn't have fur and/or a spine it's a bug.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
[Jaws theme here]

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just be careful eating slugs and snails because they can carry parasites.

Not really a problem if they were to be farmed, because parasite life cycles are spread across multiple species, which aren't going to be present when farmed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Incredibly nasty parasites too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It’s one of those things like chronic toothache that I usually don’t think of when imagining life in the past, but parasites of some form must have been virtually ubiquitous in every society right? I vaguely remember reading a paper on parasites in Joseon upper class mummies and iirc all of them had at least a few.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Koramei posted:

It’s one of those things like chronic toothache that I usually don’t think of when imagining life in the past, but parasites of some form must have been virtually ubiquitous in every society right? I vaguely remember reading a paper on parasites in Joseon upper class mummies and iirc all of them had at least a few.

It was considered a normal part of male puberty for your pee to become red in Egypt, iirc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah there's evidence of parasites in well preserved remains like Egyptian mummies, and obvious parasites like guinea worm are well documented in the written sources. It's probably safe to assume they were fairly common.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There's even a convincing theory that the disappearance of certain parasites with which we long coexisted is a driving factor in why so many westerners have crippling allergies that weren't common in the past. Many parasites actively suppress the immune system for obvious reasons.

I like the anecdote that head lice and genital lice are two unrelated species, and that human pubic lice are related to the species that affects gorillas. Presumably we caught them from sleeping in the same places, but maybe Bob was over there loving a gorilla.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think I remember reading that gorilla genitalia are comically small compared to humans'. I'm not sure that would even be possible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

I think I remember reading that gorilla genitalia are comically small compared to humans'. I'm not sure that would even be possible.

Or…..average Joe Carthagenian was a big hit with the gorilla ladies.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Helminths are part of the normal human microbiome and are really good at actively regulating the host immune system. Their decreased prevalence in modern rich countries are linked to the increase of autoimmune diseases such as type 1 diabetes. Drugs and treatments are also being developed based on helminths immunoregulation for several other autoimmune diseases like MS and arthritis and inflammatory bowel syndrome so the regulatory mechanisms are quite potent and useful. There are a great amount of scientific papers about this if you just search for it in Google Scholar or something.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 31, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Bugs aren't easy to harvest, in temperate climates. Aside from silkworms, I doubt any of them were regularly eaten.

Before insecticides made them almost extinct, cockchafers were regularly eaten in parts of Germany.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zopotantor posted:

Before insecticides made them almost extinct, cockchafers were regularly eaten in parts of Germany.

Do you have any sources on this? I'm German and I have literally never heard of this

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Incredibly nasty parasites too.

Some types of snails can be parasites too, to add to the fun. There's a tiny freshwater snail living in parts of Europe and wherever it lives, going into a lake is going to end with your body infested with them.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Libluini posted:

Do you have any sources on this? I'm German and I have literally never heard of this

Cockchafer soup

https://www.nabu.de/tiere-und-pflanzen/insekten-und-spinnen/kaefer/01263.html

quote:

Für die menschliche Ernährung wurden Maikäfer ebenfalls genutzt – nicht nur in Notzeiten. „Unsere Studenten essen die Maikäfer ganz roh, ganz wie sie sind und nicht wenige ohne den geringsten Nachteil“, wusste zum Beispiel die Fuldaer Zeitung 1925. „In vielen Konditoreien sind sie verzuckert zu haben, und man isst sie kandiert in Tafeln zum Nachtisch.“ Auch ein Rezept für Maikäfer-Bouillon ist überliefert: „Man nehme die Maikäfer, reiße ihnen Flügeldecken und Beine ab, röste ihren Körper in heißer Butter knusprig, koche sie dann mit Hühnerbrühe ab, tue etwas geschnittene Kalbsleber hinein und serviere das Ganze mit Schnittlauch und gerösteten Semmelschnitten.“

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 31, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Huh. Thanks! For some reason the German Maikäfer-Artikel doesn't mention this at all.

Well, Hessians are weird, so I should have expected this. :v:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

One of the insects that completely disapeared. When my parents were kids, they were collected in buckets as feed for farm animals.

I've only seen one in over 30 years some time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Libluini posted:

Huh. Thanks! For some reason the German Maikäfer-Artikel doesn't mention this at all.

Well, Hessians are weird, so I should have expected this. :v:

Native of Fulda here, can confirm. No, I haven’t eaten any cockchafers yet.