Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Squashing Machine posted:

I tried it for a couple hours back when I had VIVEPORT and it was a little too janky at the time for my taste. Interactions with your guns and other items felt really clunky and frustrating a lot of the time. Might give it another go at some point because I love the idea of a VR S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game but would love to see one with the level of interaction-level polish that RE4 has.

Into the radius has gotten a lot more polish since whenever you played. If you think re4 is "polished" then you must have been playing long, long before itr's 1.0.

Granted you can throw away your gun unlike re4, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Being able to drop your gun/magazine/grenade on the ground and having to frantically scrabble around on the floor in a panic while the enemy solider/alien/zombie is running at you unironically is great and should be possible in every game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alctel posted:

Being able to drop your gun/magazine/grenade on the ground and having to frantically scrabble around on the floor in a panic while the enemy solider/alien/zombie is running at you unironically is great and should be possible in every game

Please don't tell people how I play H3VR Take and Hold :colbert:.

r u ready to WALK posted:

the platform that will become the new standard for the metaverse is the one that delivers the highest quality furry avatars
i swear it's the main reason why second life did so well in 2004

I like how Twitter's response to Zuckerberg's Metaverse has been universally "Yeah we remember Second Life. How'd that turn out?"

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Lacrosse posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the big titty animu girl avatars in VRChat, but these Facebook avatars are way, way worse. I'd rather look at robots, why couldn't they have just gone all in on robots? Those don't get into uncanny valley unless you try really really hard.

the platform that will become the new standard for the metaverse is the one that delivers the highest quality furry avatars

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

r u ready to WALK posted:

VRChat already exists

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

raditts posted:

Just got an email from them about this. I, uh, guess it's a good thing I only subscribed to them month-to-month? It's got my "this product is going to get objectively worse" senses tingling.

If with FB resources they get able to launch the game outside of NA, then it will be already a great success in my book.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

in vrchat you only have two options: you can be a furry or you can be an anime.

choose wisely

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdkc4pe7UsI

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Luneshot posted:

in vrchat you only have two options: you can be a furry or you can be an anime.

choose wisely

I was going to post this because it's 1000% true.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'll be a furry, but instead of some dumb sexy dragon or twink wolf I'm going to be a big ugly bug. Just a human sized bipedal spider with slavering chelicerae

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

These headlines are alright for a change.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Sagebrush posted:

I'll be a furry, but instead of some dumb sexy dragon or twink wolf I'm going to be a big ugly bug. Just a human sized bipedal spider with slavering chelicerae

Good news, I found this great pillbug avatar

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

Chin Strap posted:

If I want to maximize AirLink performance what is a good barebones Wifi6 router to use? I have a 5ghz one right now but it still hiccups some.

Not the TP-Link AX10 - I got this a few months ago in anticipation of using Airlink when I eventually got a new PC. I got the PC and it's lovely finally to be able to play Flight Simulator and NMS with smooth frame rates - sometimes. It seems random, sometimes I use airlink and it's smooth and lovely, other times I'll start getting vicious lag spikes every few seconds that make a game unusable. Sometimes restarting the router makes the problem go away, sometimes it doesn't. Reading around it seems quite a lot of people have been having similar problems with that router, so avoid that one.

I'd also be interested to hear what people are finding the best for Airlink, as having just spent out for a decent PC and having my airlink experience spoiled by having chosen a crappy router I might just have to bin the AX10 and get something better, annoying though it will be to have to spend even more to get things working right.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSt04IPqFfM

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks! It's so hard to find that video so I had to settle for a screenshot I found

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Chin Strap posted:

If I want to maximize AirLink performance what is a good barebones Wifi6 router to use? I have a 5ghz one right now but it still hiccups some.

I was just googling this exact topic last week, and it turned out for me just turning on Windows Mobile Hotspot on my PC is best and free. If you are using a wired connection and have a built-in or can buy a Wifi card, just turn that on. It saves a couple network hops and is a completely dedicated VR SID so it feels like possibly the fastest way to Airlink.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Turin Turambar posted:

If with FB resources they get able to launch the game outside of NA, then it will be already a great success in my book.

Financially sure, but surely it's not going to get away without some meddling from big zucc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I was just googling this exact topic last week, and it turned out for me just turning on Windows Mobile Hotspot on my PC is best and free. If you are using a wired connection and have a built-in or can buy a Wifi card, just turn that on. It saves a couple network hops and is a completely dedicated VR SID so it feels like possibly the fastest way to Airlink.

poo poo I didn't know this was a thing, thanks for the heads up. I don't really have any issues with Virtual Desktop but I'm still going to have to give that a try.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Gonna try this tonight

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Well, rip my elite strap, it's tearing on both sides. I've bought a cheap rubber insert for the original strap that mimics the backrest of the elite strap, plus a battery holder, mostly for the counterweight. Both by Kiwi.

I also saw this, which is an upgrade on the controller grip I originally bought: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0967ZD2WJ?th=1

It's the same thing but with a battery compartment, which is pretty clever!

They're replacing elite straps under warranty for a two year period. (I am on my third)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

canyoneer posted:

They're replacing elite straps under warranty for a two year period. (I am on my third)

That's good to know thanks, but I might actually stick with this new one. It gives you the head cradle of the elite strap, but the elasticated headband of the original strap keeps it much more actively clamped onto your face than the elite strap. I don't even need the top strap to keep it comfortably on my face, as it is being actively pulled in; it gets my seal of approval.

I'll see if I can get the elite strap swapped out regardless though, it'll bump up the price a little if I ever sell the headset.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 30, 2021

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

explosivo posted:

poo poo I didn't know this was a thing, thanks for the heads up. I don't really have any issues with Virtual Desktop but I'm still going to have to give that a try.

I spent a lot of time on this and it really didn't work for me with a dedicated WiFi 6 card and the latest version of Windows. Seems the hot-spot functionality on new versions of Windows aren't very well supported and I always topped out at 276ish mb which seems to be the spec max of WiFi direct or whatever it is Windows uses for hotpot these days. If it works for you then great though.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just use the sorta crumby ISP supplied router.

Helps I'm right next to it though, and have nothing else on the 5G channel

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Same, a standard lovely router will probably do the job if you're in the same room and the PC is wired in (I don't even have a gigabit connection from PC to router), so don't upgrade unless you're having issues.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I used the wifi hotspot approach before, and read a bunch of weird solutions to bandwidth limits. Apparently Windows doesn't recognize a Quest 2 as a device worth dedicating much bandwidth to, but it'll do so for a phone. Connect to your hotspot with a phone, then disconnect. Your VR headset should get the full bandwidth afterward. I'm curious about people's experiences with it. On reddit, some people said it was a lot better on a hotspot, and some said it was worse. I had issues with it through virtual desktop, but that could be due to the configurations I used. I got it working well through a router, but I haven't gone back and tried it on the hotspot again.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Idk if I can recommend hopping on dude’s Patreon yet for this, but the guy who makes the Mafia/GTA5/RDR2 vr mods found a way to implement stereoscopic rendering without using alternate eye rendering.

Requires a beefy rear end PC ofc but, as someone who doesn’t get VR sickness, even I can tell the difference in RDR. Might be worth checking out if you had problems with the mod in the past.

Edit: apparently it’s still alternate eye rendering but at double frame rate.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 31, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Leathal posted:

Idk if I can recommend hopping on dude’s Patreon yet for this, but the guy who makes the Mafia/GTA5/RDR2 vr mods found a way to implement stereoscopic rendering without using alternate eye rendering.

Requires a beefy rear end PC ofc but, as someone who doesn’t get VR sickness, even I can tell the difference in RDR. Might be worth checking out if you had problems with the mod in the past.

Can we get a link?

I'm enjoying the Blade and Sorcery dungeon update. If we could just clip the combat from this and stick it into Skyrim's world we'd be pretty well off I feel. I'm going to have a hard time going back to Skyrim in VR, even with all the mods.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If someone did put Blade and Sorcery's melee combat into Skyrim, I think I'd probably never leave. Nor would the perverts. The sheer range of horrible things you can do to virtual characters in B&S is... :stonk:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I like B&S, but I wish those fuckers would quit jumping around so much. Of all my games, B&S is the one that makes me forget I'm in VR the most, and I wind up wandering dangerously close to the edges of my play space and getting tangled in wires. Probably a matter of time before that game makes me break something.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

KakerMix posted:

Can we get a link?

That’ll be LukeRoss by the sound of it:

https://www.patreon.com/realvr

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Pixelate posted:

That’ll be LukeRoss by the sound of it:

https://www.patreon.com/realvr

Yep thanks for the link, was phone posting and forgot to paste one.

Again, I don’t know if it’s worth joining the Patreon just to test the new renderer. There’s a number of comments from people with 3xxx gpus saying they can’t maintain a decent frame rate and it seems to maybe be related to intel cpus?

Also I just noticed he’s making close to six figures off Patreon for this mod. Living the dream.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Alctel posted:

I don't have this happen because I had to switch on toggle grip. I have to switch on toggle grip because I have hyperhidrosis, so my controllers are always covered in sweat, which engages the capacitive touch sensor. To drop guns in H3VR I'm effectively wiping them off on my shirt.

(Incidentally, if there's a way to disable the capacitive sensor and force everything to use the force sensor instead, I'd be very grateful!)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hyperlynx posted:

(Incidentally, if there's a way to disable the capacitive sensor and force everything to use the force sensor instead, I'd be very grateful!)

You can do this in the SteamVR controller configuration page. I couldn't tell you step-by-step how to do it, as I just gently caress around with it each time until I figure out what I need to do, but yes, this is possible with some :pcgaming: effort.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Shine posted:

You can do this in the SteamVR controller configuration page. I couldn't tell you step-by-step how to do it, as I just gently caress around with it each time until I figure out what I need to do, but yes, this is possible with some :pcgaming: effort.

Oh nice. I just assumed it was at the whim of each game whether it even supports that. I figured out how to do it for Compound, but it didn't seem to be there for others. I'll take another look.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The windows hotspot method gave me worse bandwidth on my quest than the wifi router on the other side of the house, but ymmv I guess.

canyoneer posted:

Do you know where to find the form or whatever to get it replaced? I was looking for it the other day and came up empty.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 31, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Probably a matter of time before that game makes me break something.

i once did an overhead swing with a claymore with all the weight of my body behind it straight into a wall.
i have no idea how the oculus controllers didnt break. i really hosed up my hands.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

marumaru posted:

i once did an overhead swing with a claymore with all the weight of my body behind it straight into a wall.
i have no idea how the oculus controllers didnt break. i really hosed up my hands.

I used to set my boundaries pretty much right at the walls. Then I started playing Thrill of the Fight. I got too into fight and threw a punch full force straight into a wall. I couldn’t do poo poo with my hand for like 2 days and it was a miracle I didn’t break the control. Anyways I give myself a little buffer now in how I set boundaries in Quest in relation to the actual boundaries in real life.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

marumaru posted:

I have Smote my monitor playing Until You Fall. I think one time playing Skyrim, too.

I think I need a bigger apartment. Lucky I usually stick to shooters.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

raditts posted:

The windows hotspot method gave me worse bandwidth on my quest than the wifi router on the other side of the house, but ymmv I guess.

Do you know where to find the form or whatever to get it replaced? I was looking for it the other day and came up empty.

I'm pretty sure you just put in a support ticket, at which point they will ask you for the serial numbers on the strap arms and a picture of the broken strap.

https://support.oculus.com/articles/contact-us/contact-us/index-contact-us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A pair of tweets about the new App Spacewarp

It looks promising, then.