Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah as someone who generally, I think, is enjoying Mercs, I am wishing PvP felt better. It feels like much more of a time investment with much less of a payoff. In theory you'd think it wouldn't be that way, but somehow it is.

Something about it seems not "predictable" enough, if that makes sense. Like if you pick the wrong comp to start with, vs. what your opponent picks, you're doomed, except you're supposed to sit there and let the whole thing play out. It's like Rock Paper Scissors except you both have to sit there for 5 minutes after showing your hands. I'm not sure how to fix that, obviously you should be able to pick any comp you want, but it just isn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

NorgLyle posted:

I don't even understand the concept behind Mercenaries PvP. It's a mode where the only variance is which of the equal speed abilities randomly fires off first so eventually every team will be one of the optimal comps and every match will come down to coin flips on Earthen Stomp.
In most games like this some variance exists because character gear is different, whereas here every player will have identically statted minions if they level them enough. it's just so badly done.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't get it either. IMO the fun in PvE is it is sort of a mini puzzle with a bit of RNG and you get to try different things or grind if you get stuck.

PvP seems as mentioned earlier like a longer rock paper scissors which is not fun at all.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah as someone who generally, I think, is enjoying Mercs, I am wishing PvP felt better. It feels like much more of a time investment with much less of a payoff. In theory you'd think it wouldn't be that way, but somehow it is.

Something about it seems not "predictable" enough, if that makes sense. Like if you pick the wrong comp to start with, vs. what your opponent picks, you're doomed, except you're supposed to sit there and let the whole thing play out. It's like Rock Paper Scissors except you both have to sit there for 5 minutes after showing your hands. I'm not sure how to fix that, obviously you should be able to pick any comp you want, but it just isn't working.

It's too shallow, there's no room to counterplay anything. You've got single digit numbers, almost binary ability choices, a 2x mod bonus across 3 entire colors and synergy like "great if you meet condition, bad if not". Maybe you've got 2 good pieces of equipment, but also lol if you haven't shelled out massive amounts of grind time to make any of your experiments even remotely useable.

They can't even add anything to it because it's just so shallow to start with.

And because it's so shallow, and because the grind is so insane, your best bet is to stick to a meta comp that works.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
Mercenaries is not my bag. I spent like 2000 gold to give it a fair shot and it feels grindy and not strategic, like most gatcha phone games. Most heroes lack synergy and matches lack “new” stuff going on I assumed earlier that I could swap out skills of fewer mercenaries.

Make more dungeon run. Dungeon runnnnn

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lol I went from D6 back to D10, guess I'm not going to make it to D5 this month.

loving sick of mages.

i've been having some success as quest hunter instead, and it has decent matchups against oracle taunt druid as well.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Blizzard was so busy trying to think of unlockables and coins and counting their money, they forgot to make an actual game.

Some VP was like “ok, clearly we hosed up hard with Battlegrounds. People just like, play it, because it’s kind of fun. We need a mode that you have no incentive to actually play for fun, it just needs to be window dressing so people buy stuff that makes numbers go up.”

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I finally got to blackrock mercenaries PVE and that's actually fun.

Similar to the old puzzles. I am actually having fun doing that.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zld2eXWcOM

song is a banger

e: patch on Nov 2 https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23739023

https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1453784926352982021

All commons revealed

Firebert fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 28, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The birds seem pretty good

https://twitter.com/Restodroodopz/status/1453786291196334081?s=20

Also Druid gets a 1 mana 3/1 rush/1/3 taunt

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Step 1. ???
Step 2. Brilliant Macaw, Bolner, macaw
Step 3. Hopefully win the game.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The Parrot is def going to find a home in my Tonk deck. The single Lion is going away no doubt.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I really want to know what they were thinking about when they made the mage card. There is no card in standard right now that I would put an 8 mana minion in my mage deck to play twice. Mage wins before turn 8!

But Time Warp exists in Wild.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Cardamommy Issues posted:

Mercenaries is not my bag. I spent like 2000 gold to give it a fair shot and it feels grindy and not strategic, like most gatcha phone games. Most heroes lack synergy and matches lack “new” stuff going on I assumed earlier that I could swap out skills of fewer mercenaries.

When the very first teaser screenshot came out, people thought it was going to be an advanced form of dungeon run. Like, that's actually what people wanted and it could have worked.

Instead it's this. After two weeks and I finished each bounty on normal and heroic. I did some task grinding when it was easy and now I'm just doing whatever dailies come in. I pvp, but only against bots because the rewards fighting players isn't worth the time. Even then, I'm only bothering to do one a day because it's so quick. Then there's the issue of new heroes coming out. When new mercs come out, will there be expansion packs? If they're in the base pack, should I be saving the packs I get now so I can easily get the new rare ones when they're launched? Nobody knows.

It's such a weak handshake of a game. The idea of them pushing the chess or strategic angle in the advertisements is ridiculous when you have to think much more in an average game of constructed.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Unfortunately it will still be quest mages everywhere.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I feel it's almost a lock that whatever internal unannounced game that Peter Whalen and Mike Donais went to work on is gonna be a Slay the Spire clone, given their work on HS and the game that Whalen made before he joined Blizzard.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I feel like there has to be a payoff for big spell mage somewhere in this mini-set, since the main set had something too and there's just absolutely no big spells that would make sense. Like sure, playing Grand Finale a few times more is good, I guess, but hardly game-breaking.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm probably overhyping some of these revealed commons but they're looking very strong, whilst others look like absolute trash (looking at you Defias Blastfisher).

Druid of the Reef, Sunwing Squarker, Defias Leper, Blackwater Cutlass, and Shadowblade Slinger look particularly good.

Also I'm dumb and just got the parrots' gimmick, they repeat stuff :bird:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

canqued posted:

If anyone wants an easy run to Legend with a deck that is deceptively fun, I humbly submit the most unoriginal deck I've ever bothered to Legend with:

Deathrattle Demon Hunter

I had a 76% win rate with however many stars Plat 5 or so got me from last season. I still think Demon Hunter was a mistake, but the class is growing on me since this is the only deck I have really enjoyed playing this season other than Quest Priest (A miserable 40-59, played almost entirely at the goof-around "safe" ranks).

Illidari Studies is such a clutch card. My favorite win was probably against a Celestial Alignment druid when I pulled a Felosophy off of Studies and then used the 1-off cost-fixing Raging Felscreamer to plop down a duo of 0 mana 9/9 Illidari Inquisitors.

here is a fixed up deck link for the lazy

https://playhearthstone.com/deckbui...d0DqO8DAA%3D%3D

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thank gently caress, Miniset news at last.

Last King posted:

i've been having some success as quest hunter instead, and it has decent matchups against oracle taunt druid as well.

I had a good run with Clown Druid and climbed a bit back up. Then got a run of 5 mages and fell right back down again.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
quest hunter vs taunt druid is probably one of the most fun matchups in standard right now. quest hunter vs pirate warrior is alright too. you just barely get there against both

canqued
Jan 18, 2020

Firebert posted:

I really want to know what they were thinking about when they made the mage card. There is no card in standard right now that I would put an 8 mana minion in my mage deck to play twice. Mage wins before turn 8!

If it re-casts Fireworks with the same bonuses for elementals as the last cast, I'd MAYBE give a single copy a try in that deck. Probably not how it works though.

I hope there's some random mage shenanigans in the mini-set. I enjoy Yogg Box, Scroll of Wanders, and Reno hero way more than big brain stuff like infinite fireballs.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The State of The Game for me is: Only play ranked as far to get 5 weekly wins, complete dailies in casual, do 1 win in Tavern Brawl. Use BGs for play tribal quests. Play Mercs when I'm half paying attention to it. For better card game experiences I've started playing Monster Train and MTG Arena.

Hearthstone is still my mobile game, but if I want to do more involved PvE or just play fun garbage decks I have other options now.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 29, 2021

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Firebert posted:

it helps make cen. ward worse by diluting the eight drop pool!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
After taking a year off of Hearthstone starting a new account in September I made it to legend for the first time ever tonight!

I made it with the Deathrattle Demon Hunter, which I've read is doing well for others in this thread too!

It's free wins people! jump on the Death Speaker train and book your ticket to legend ranks today! Actually I hear the Fel version of the deck is even performing better, but I used the original vanilla deathrattle version ^^

**by far the best thing about Deathrattle DH is that Quest Mage is actually free wins.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 29, 2021

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Disargeria posted:

It's too shallow, there's no room to counterplay anything. You've got single digit numbers, almost binary ability choices, a 2x mod bonus across 3 entire colors and synergy like "great if you meet condition, bad if not". Maybe you've got 2 good pieces of equipment, but also lol if you haven't shelled out massive amounts of grind time to make any of your experiments even remotely useable.

They can't even add anything to it because it's just so shallow to start with.

And because it's so shallow, and because the grind is so insane, your best bet is to stick to a meta comp that works.
There are also way too many Mercenaries that don't do anything (Most of the rares but in particular Kurtrus Ashfallen). Or they don't have any attached strategy that has an actual payoff (Sylvanas).

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardamommy Issues posted:

Mercs is actually way worse than any most popular mobage for that, I'd say. I did have fun with it though so I got my moneys worth of zero dollars.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Starsfan posted:

After taking a year off of Hearthstone starting a new account in September I made it to legend for the first time ever tonight!

Congrats!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Somehow made it back to D5 thanks to Clown Druid and a dearth of mages.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
i really don't want to play five games of constructed in the weekend but it'd be the first monthly card back i've missed out on :smith:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

peer posted:

i really don't want to play five games of constructed in the weekend but it'd be the first monthly card back i've missed out on :smith:

I had the same dilemma until I realized I could faff around in low MMR Wild to get my wins. I threw this together to complete the Noz quest and am slaughtering through Bronze with an 87% winrate:

### nozpriest
# Class: Priest
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Cleric of Scales
# 2x (1) Draconic Studies
# 2x (2) Dragonmaw Sentinel
# 2x (2) Firetree Witchdoctor
# 2x (3) Breath of the Infinite
# 1x (3) Brightwing
# 2x (3) Twilight Acolyte
# 2x (4) Duskbreaker
# 2x (4) Scaleworm
# 2x (5) Azure Drake
# 2x (5) Drakonid Operative
# 2x (6) Aeon Reaver
# 2x (6) Dragonfire Potion
# 1x (7) Nozdormu the Eternal
# 1x (7) Skeletal Dragon
# 1x (8) Murozond the Infinite
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza the Life-Binder
# 1x (9) Ysera the Dreamer
#
AAEBAafDAwaOsQPYwgOwigS0igS2igSooAQMuQa6uwLqvwLL5gL86gKJ8QLoiQPyrAOYtgOZtgO4ugPezAMA

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

New Tonk? NEW TONK!

### Tonkosaurus
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Flare
# 2x (1) Play Dead
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Bear Trap
# 2x (2) Explosive Trap
# 2x (2) Feign Death
# 2x (2) Mad Scientist
# 2x (2) Pack Tactics
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 2x (2) Pressure Plate
# 2x (3) Nine Lives
# 1x (3) Teron Gorefiend
# 2x (3) Ursatron
# 1x (5) Barak Kodobane
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (6) Oblivitron
# 2x (7) Darkmoon Tonk
#
AAEBAa/XAwSggAPxlgPUugPl7wMNgAf3DccP0RSczQLylgO2nAOfpQP7rwOkuQOD4gOpnwTjnwQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I just ran up against someone playing a Wild Bomb Warrior using Iron Juggernaut, a card I don't think I've ever seen in play before? But they did not accept my friend request after I beat them, despite pulling the 10 damage card it gave me. I just want their list. Are they also running Hakkar, the Soulflayer? I don't know. I feel like they were overall playing some sub-optimal poo poo, but I still want the list. I love and miss Bomb Warrior.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Mini set rares

Some fun cards in here. I assume DH is going to get a big Deathrattle minion to use with Proving Grounds

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hmm, another "draw a spell" minion to add consistency to my Ignite mage deck.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Finally! I am done with this game mode!

Here are my full stats. Ignore that the top 4s don't add up to 1000, there was a bug for a while where they didn't show up on the mode screen but still registered in the achievement system. (The system says I have 261 1st places, for example.)

This mode has driven me to madness sometimes. Getting great starts only to slam headlong into the super high roller who blows you off the board and into the loss column, or losing every round right up until the board clicks and you proceed to do the same to everyone else. I only managed a perfect game twice.

The weird 21-game win streak was a game in which I was in a bugged lobby where nobody else was actually at their keyboard but not disconnected so I decided to have a little fun with it. My highest legit streak was 13 on the second time I got a perfect game.

Now I'm grinding Mercs. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Navaash posted:

Now I'm grinding Mercs. :v:

I advise against that until they rework how you get tasks

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

RatHat posted:

Mini set rares

Some fun cards in here. I assume DH is going to get a big Deathrattle minion to use with Proving Grounds

I feel like Druid really, really doesn't need ways to get Celestial Alignment into hand more consistently and yet here we are

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Small thing, but I was still able to pair up vs bots consistently even after 6000 rating, with the same 3 mercs + 3 lowbie setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is proving grounds the worst DH card ever printed?