Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

I'm semi-old. I know what VPN is, but not NAS.

Network accessed storage, just a computer running any os with stuff on it on the network that you access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the updated google clock app putting the alarm dismissal/snooze at the bottom of the screen instead of the middle is loving dumb

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

eSporks posted:

What I'm looking for is less calendar, and more task management.

I'm trying out "time planner" and it's good so far.

Not sure if this is totally up your alley, but Toggl is probably the most popular time tracking service and I find the app to be pretty good. It has a mixture of tracking and pomodoro/focus features. Might be worth trying?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a setting anywhere for google calendar to not jump into week view when you click on an item from the normal month view? I hate weekly view and find it disorientating. I've looked everywhere.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Got my Pixel 6 today and I found out Authenticator+ hasn't updated in like 3 years, lol. What's the best alternative with Google Drive support, hopefully that I can import from Authenticator+?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Humerus posted:

Got my Pixel 6 today and I found out Authenticator+ hasn't updated in like 3 years, lol. What's the best alternative with Google Drive support, hopefully that I can import from Authenticator+?

Import probably isn't going to happen but I think most folks went reluctantly to Authy. Some like Microsoft's (LMAO) and I think Google's at least backs up now. Personally the one I tried out before just giving in and putting them in 1Password was TOTP Authenticator which was pretty good. It had some pet feature I used in Authenticator+ that nothing else did (maybe a Wear OS component?).

Honestly I can see the argument against putting them 1PW, but on the other hand if an attacker can get to my vault then 2FA isn't going to be saving me so I went with that route and I've really grown to like the convenience.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Humerus posted:

Aegis

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 28, 2021

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

I'm a big bitwarden fan and it supports TOTP. You can open your authenticator+ backup with a SQLite app that supports encryption if you need to get at the original setup codes.

Edit: If any of you use Signal and are moving to a new phone it has a native migration tool built in. You'll need both phones near each other and online to start the process. That'll save you the reverify and security alerts with your friends.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 28, 2021

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

FunOne posted:

I'm a big bitwarden fan and it supports TOTP. You can open your authenticator+ backup with a SQLite app that supports encryption if you need to get at the original setup codes.

SQLite studio is how I migrated my Authenticator+ entries to Authy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Authenticator+ appears to no longer be able to export the file needed. It gives an "export failed" error.

I guess I'll just have to manually add everything to Aegis.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Annath posted:

Authenticator+ appears to no longer be able to export the file needed. It gives an "export failed" error.

I switched to andOTP several months ago and did some nonsense with Linux to pull all the QR codes from Authy. That might be an option too.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

SQLite studio is how I migrated my Authenticator+ entries to Authy.

Thats the one. It was pretty easy to open up the .db file and find the codes I needed.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Annath posted:

Yeah I'm discovering this too! Luckily I actually saved pictures of nearly all my QR codes so it shouldn't be too bad I guess.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a good way to sync Edge browser passwords with Android app passwords?

I finally ditched Chrome to save battery life on my laptop like so many other people, this is the only thing still annoying me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aegis seems good. I'm not a fan of the Authy UI.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there some kinda software I can use to set up a cloud based storage for my photos/videos on my phone, to be synced onto my NAS? Like I get home, it sees it's on wifi, it looks for new media and syncs it to some folder.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

VelociBacon posted:

Is there some kinda software I can use to set up a cloud based storage for my photos/videos on my phone, to be synced onto my NAS? Like I get home, it sees it's on wifi, it looks for new media and syncs it to some folder.

What ñas? Synology has photos..

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

deong posted:

What ñas? Synology has photos..

I just have a server PC on windows 10 that I use as a plex/torrent server. Lots of extra room on there and I'd like to have my photo gallery on my android phone backed up to a folder on that machine.

e: actually it looks like 'owncloud' might work, for free.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 29, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

smoobles posted:

Is there a good way to sync Edge browser passwords with Android app passwords?

I finally ditched Chrome to save battery life on my laptop like so many other people, this is the only thing still annoying me.

Use a 3rd party password manager? Should be OS and browser agnostic.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I saw this: Microsoft is building a new password manager that syncs credentials across its Edge browser, Google Chrome, and mobile iOS or Android devices. A preview version of the password manager is now built into Microsoft Authenticator, a free mobile app that’s used for multi-factor authentication.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

redeyes posted:

I saw this: Microsoft is building a new password manager that syncs credentials across its Edge browser, Google Chrome, and mobile iOS or Android devices. A preview version of the password manager is now built into Microsoft Authenticator, a free mobile app that’s used for multi-factor authentication.

Congratulations, you're back to having built Bitwarden or 1Password.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Does anybody know a animal identification helper app that actually work?
Googling only gives me "seek" and that app sucks. It hates focusing my camera and gives me very questionable output even if it does work. And it seems impossible to extract a link to the animal's wikipedia page or something like that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Google Lens is usually pretty good at identifying animals if you can get a good enough photo. If the limitation is your camera, you might be out of luck.

edit: I used Google Lens on your bad photo and it quickly guessed Asian Lady Beetles

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 30, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

Does anybody know a animal identification helper app that actually work?
Googling only gives me "seek" and that app sucks. It hates focusing my camera and gives me very questionable output even if it does work. And it seems impossible to extract a link to the animal's wikipedia page or something like that.

This picture is terrible and not good for much.

iNaturalist is great, and logging species actually helps research.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

eSporks posted:

This picture is terrible and not good for much.

iNaturalist is great, and logging species actually helps research.

The iNaturalist/seek app took that picture automatically, because it decided it was great. Which is one of the reasons why I am looking for a different app.
The straight iNaturalist app seems to be for when I already know what I am looking at and want to make a log. Basically the opposite of what I am looking for.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

The iNaturalist/seek app took that picture automatically, because it decided it was great. Which is one of the reasons why I am looking for a different app.
The straight iNaturalist app seems to be for when I already know what I am looking at and want to make a log. Basically the opposite of what I am looking for.
I don't know what seek is, but iNaturalist will give you suggestions, which is really nice because photo recognition is never going to be perfect. You can click through a few of the suggestions, compare pictures, read about habitat and narrow it down that way.
It will also give you a family or genus even if it isn't sure about the exact species.

I use iNaturalist for identifying plants frequently.

iNaturalist also let's you see what other people in your area have reported. So you could also just browse and filter by spider. Then scroll through and look for a match.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

eSporks posted:

I don't know what seek is, but iNaturalist will give you suggestions, which is really nice because photo recognition is never going to be perfect. You can click through a few of the suggestions, compare pictures, read about habitat and narrow it down that way.
It will also give you a family or genus even if it isn't sure about the exact species.

I use iNaturalist for identifying plants frequently.

iNaturalist also let's you see what other people in your area have reported. So you could also just browse and filter by spider. Then scroll through and look for a match.
This is the app I was using:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.inaturalist.seek

I am going to try the other inaturalist app next time, I think I have finally found the suggestion thing.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yea, I looked into seek afterwards. I don't know what niche its trying to serve that iNaturalist doesn't. The reviews are pretty bad too, so definitely check out the actual iNaturalist app. The interface takes some getting used to, but functionally it's really good at identifying most things. Even when it can't, it gets you close enough that you can research on your own.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

eSporks posted:

Yea, I looked into seek afterwards. I don't know what niche its trying to serve that iNaturalist doesn't. The reviews are pretty bad too, so definitely check out the actual iNaturalist app. The interface takes some getting used to, but functionally it's really good at identifying most things. Even when it can't, it gets you close enough that you can research on your own.

Well, when I started using it I was convinced that the iNaturalist app doesn't offer help with identifying things. Not sure if that is because they added it later, or bad interface discoverability.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dropped into the Pixel 6 XDA forums and saw that someone made an AOD LED Notification https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight

I really miss when phones had RGB LED lights on the front that you could customize.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Photex posted:

Dropped into the Pixel 6 XDA forums and saw that someone made an AOD LED Notification https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight

I really miss when phones had RGB LED lights on the front that you could customize.

Me too, I loved having a notification light.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

But always on displays made them completely redundant?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

But always on displays made them completely redundant?

this app sort of augments the AOD.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Booted up this old lovely last-resort Windows tablet I have laying around, just to do updates, mostly make sure it still works. It'd been long enough or whatever that I had to log back in to my Microsoft and Google accounts, both with 2FA connected to my phone.

Both the Microsoft authenticator app and the Google sign-in prompt thing had a new feature I hadn't seen the last time I used them: Microsoft displayed a two-digit number on the tablet, then the phone prompt asked me to select the same number from a few choices, I guess to foil attacks relying on either a mindless yes or a malicious request somehow deployed immediately before a legitimate one. Google asked me to, instead of simply pressing yes on a notification as before, hold the volume down button for a few seconds, which seems like it might mitigate the former somewhat but not the latter.

Were there some specific recent attacks prompting these measures or did someone just suddenly realize it probably should've worked that way all along?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It probably prompt it, but here's a story of a CEO approving all 2FA that came to him, not realizing he was supposed to only approve one's when he was logging in.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/10/problems-with-multifactor-authentication.html

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone realized normal people have no clue how to deal with modern security bullshit? 9/10 of people have no clue and just bungle their way through it or hire someone to figure it out for them.

Pretend you need to find either Microsoft or Google 2 factor auth settings. That requires knowing a FUCKIGN retarded interface with icons no one knows and what the appropriate buzzwords are. The entire thing is a full on poo poo-show of epic proportions.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 3, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to pop in and mention that I just set up 'syncthing' to back up my phone media to my windows server, and it works loving amazing and it's the perfect replacement for cloud-based backup like google photos. It was easy to set up and works perfectly.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
A couple years ago I would routinely get notifications that the person or persons on the other side of the world who think they own my Gmail account was trying to reset the password, and asking me to approve the reset.

I never did, but if that notification had come in at an inconvenient time, such as when I was using the login on an untrusted computer and expecting the almost identical looking notification for that, or if I had manhandled my phone with my glasses off in the middle of the night, I might have wound up accidentally approving it.

Unsure what would have happened then, but I imagine it would have been extremely inconvenient at the very least.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
is twitter battery hogging anyone else? it seems this dumb app is running worse and draining my battery as time goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to pop in and mention that I just set up 'syncthing' to back up my phone media to my windows server, and it works loving amazing and it's the perfect replacement for cloud-based backup like google photos. It was easy to set up and works perfectly.

Yeah, Syncthing is awesome! It's an integral step in my "download official releases of new manga chapters and then upload them to my server" flow too. It can be a little annoying about sync errors but I can live with it (or more likely could probably find a way to fix the issue in the first place if I cared)