Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

idiotsavant posted:

I mean client side verification = sky is the limit for exploits, duping, hacks, etc isn’t it? I feel like we’ve barely seen the tip of the iceberg

Ranzear posted:

Would have seen a lot worse already if it was just clientside authority. It's more like the game has some grace periods and lag compensation for certain effects and is giving those too much authority.

There's plenty of hooking and offsets in another forum, but nothing has really developed in terms of direct cheating. It would have been happening on day one if not already going on in the beta.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Presumably if the client can just decide it's not falling anymore, as shown in one of these videos, then the server is not the one handling gravity. EDIT: Also if it can decide "I'm not taking damage anymore" or "you can't take my gold away"

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Mass reporting leaders was the first thing they did to win battles! This is so common in MMOs that WOW Ignores mass reports in most cases.

Of course in China Mass reports is a revenge system for people who get free carrys but did not pay for them at the end of the carry. So who the devil knows but for the love of all that is gaming, if your gonna build an MMO please have a system in play for handling most of the common abuse systems in other games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a solved problem.

Woah buddy, that's not a concept in games. Everybody has to re-invent concepts that were optimized a thousand times before.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Fallom posted:

Woah buddy, that's not a concept in games. Everybody has to re-invent concepts that were optimized a thousand times before.

:crobear:

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

look if a problem is solved you just gotta make a new one!

sometimes, this is called job security

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Outpost Rush is a 20v20 battleground between the active tryhard PVPers who spam consumables to win fights and the afk PVEers who want to level their tradeskills

It's just too bad you can't take out your fishing pole when you fail to take Sol

e: just like Dota, get mid or afk

e2: lol, the resources UI doesnt update next match until you start collecting resources again in a new game

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 30, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Flavahbeast posted:

Im thinking they meant to post 'runaround'

yes, my ESL was misfiring

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So, who wants to start the death pool? I'm guessing Amazon will scrap the game on or before July 1st 2022.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

So, who wants to start the death pool? I'm guessing Amazon will scrap the game on or before July 1st 2022.

If they run this like FFXIV I give it 2 more weeks. Dead by Thanksgiving.

This may not happen since half the purpose of this was to create an MMO Engine to sell other firms making MMOs, so Off line by Xmas.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My reasoning is: They'll flounder around for a couple of months because they've already shitcanned five other games, but they'll try to milk this one a little longer by introducing new item shop poo poo. They might do a small content patch in Q1 2022.

Then Lost Ark will be released at the end of March. I have no interest in it, but I think it'll do well and Amazon will decide they're better off as a publisher and localizer, and then they'll shitcan New World.

But I also wouldn't be all that surprised if it didn't live to see the new year, either.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 30, 2021

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
This game literally has no roadmap doesn't it? I figure some mxt at christmas with clothing and house decos, probably shitcan the game between Q1 and Q2, April 1st target date

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Oh man this ride..

https://forums.newworld.com/t/notice-how-serverclient-authority-is-handled-in-new-world/473167

Totally not client authoritive guys....

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Kill All Cops posted:

This game literally has no roadmap doesn't it? I figure some mxt at christmas with clothing and house decos, probably shitcan the game between Q1 and Q2, April 1st target date

There's a bunch of stuff that was in earlier builds but not launch, so I figure that stuff will hit in the next few months but honestly who loving knows

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Subtext, We fired the security guy because he was not a team player.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Wasn't there a focus based gauntlet in the files? Maybe it'll make an appearance.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Wasn't there a focus based gauntlet in the files? Maybe it'll make an appearance.

Pistol, dagger, blunderbuss, and void gauntlet have all been datamined or appeared in earlier builds.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Void Gauntlet with Int/Focus split, Strength based Blunderbuss and Dex Dual Daggers.

Hy_C fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 30, 2021

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
someone just handed me the string to complete quests via chat

will report back soon

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
the string to complete the quest was quite visible in that youtube video where "he doesn't want to show you how to do it"

p sure the attribute required to make it work was blocked, but have fun trying

e: :rubby:

maybe literally have any other form of capturing other than standing in a circle? like use the resource node collecting system so that attacks interrupt being able to finish an objective??? jfc

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 30, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
not expecting AOE to be the meta is another big “wait have you guys evert played or even thought about a video game???” moment

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Even if they do something it just falls back to rifles, idk, the combat doesn't really work with any objective-based gameplay I can imagine.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
AOE was something I legit started thinking about in closed beta. Watching that first war and I was like "ok, musket is going to be good for long range sniping. But what of my second weapon..." Then after fiddling with melee alternatives, I realized ice gaunt or fire staff would be better. I was first on ice gaunt but later figured fire staff would be better for fireball and such. Now it seems the answer is back on ice gaunt. Still funny this seems like breaking news to them about aoe.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Third World Reagan posted:

someone just handed me the string to complete quests via chat

will report back soon

We're waiting. I have a family share account ready to test nonsense.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

the string to complete the quest was quite visible in that youtube video where "he doesn't want to show you how to do it"

p sure the attribute required to make it work was blocked, but have fun trying

e: :rubby:

maybe literally have any other form of capturing other than standing in a circle? like use the resource node collecting system so that attacks interrupt being able to finish an objective??? jfc

Doesn't large scale PvP in most MMOs just involve two zergs smashing into each other and spamming AoE? I know in Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars 2 that is what my experience was.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Have they never played a single other MMO?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Pretty sure luck is broke, have around 25% luck find from monsters and chests, and I get trash gear score farming. Friend has none and gets way better drops.

I wonder if theres a way to break it and get super mega luck find.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

MaxPowers posted:

Pretty sure luck is broke, have around 25% luck find from monsters and chests, and I get trash gear score farming. Friend has none and gets way better drops.

I wonder if theres a way to break it and get super mega luck find.

The gear score of your gear is going to depend on your watermark, not your luck. Luck just makes it more likely you might get an item, and has the chance to make the item a higher tier. If your friend's watermark is higher, his stuff will pretty much always be "better". Unless I've misunderstood what you meant.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not convinced they even know what videogames are

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

Pussy Snorkel posted:

The gear score of your gear is going to depend on your watermark, not your luck. Luck just makes it more likely you might get an item, and has the chance to make the item a higher tier. If your friend's watermark is higher, his stuff will pretty much always be "better". Unless I've misunderstood what you meant.

I get the water mark stuff, but he gets purples and frequent drops. I get greens and not as many. Willing to bet that none of the % find stuff works.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

MaxPowers posted:

I get the water mark stuff, but he gets purples and frequent drops. I get greens and not as many. Willing to bet that none of the % find stuff works.

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if luck gear actively hurts your % find chance

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

nice game u have here lol

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

We're waiting. I have a family share account ready to test nonsense.

it did not work, we tried a few ways around it and nope

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The chat thing doesn't need to be fixed lol.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
wow it finally happened

banned for about the same amount of time i was spamming images in chat, i'll take the hit and play dota 2 in the meantime

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Third World Reagan posted:

it did not work, we tried a few ways around it and nope

Shame. Not gonna lie, was thinking it'd be neat to have a wonked out alt account to gently caress around with.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain the “you can equip two light staffs” bug to me? Couldn’t you do that anyways, or is it letting you dual wield them or something?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

LuckyCat posted:

Can someone explain the “you can equip two light staffs” bug to me? Couldn’t you do that anyways, or is it letting you dual wield them or something?

There's a way to animation cancel light attacks using weapon swap so that you machine gun your attack. Works with life staff and fire staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pussy Snorkel posted:

There's a way to animation cancel light attacks using weapon swap so that you machine gun your attack. Works with life staff and fire staff.

You've been pretty pro-this game, so whatcha been doing lately?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)