Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Infinity Gaia posted:

It helps that both Ernie and his unit are obscenely overpowered. Ernie is routinely outdamaging my non-Gridman supers now that he has his finisher and his bullshit amounts of EN regen lets him do it pretty often too.

Don't forget his personal skill that's just "if you have higher Skill than the opponent, you win". Slap Second Attack on there and he's as busted as Amuro, possibly moreso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't care if Knights and Magic is a mediocre isekai Ernie is 100% perfect for slotting into SRW and I hope he continues to show up.

The one issue I have with him is that Ryusei didn't say a loving word during his recruitment. I want the two robot nerds to create a feedback loop of ever increasing hype until they start harnessing Spiral Power.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

The one issue I have with him is that Ryusei didn't say a loving word during his recruitment. I want the two robot nerds to create a feedback loop of ever increasing hype until they start harnessing Spiral Power.

There's a DLC mission that is exactly this though it isn't Ryusei and Ernie but The Betterman protag and Ernie. Also Amuro and Koji get drawn in.

That said Ryusei does come to Ernie's defense at least once in the realm of mecha adoration.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
I wound up custom-soundtracking Build Tiger and Shadowmaru their show's ED as final attack themes and let me tell you, Shadowmaru grandstanding at his opponent while loving this is playing in the background gives me an untold amount of life. I just really wish I had more room for him in general.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
As someone playing on expert with low upgrades, the MJP units are incredibly powerful in general. At a glance, they're relatively middling real robots...and then you look at their gigantic list of stupid passives and it begins to percolate. The Juria System is a lambda driver(as in the angrier they get, the more damage they do), they all have Evangelion sync ratios that are constantly increasing as they fight, they have an insanely powerful barrier that increases in power as a fight goes on, and all of them have high levels of potential - this means that they're like an entire squad of Chiricos; they fight until they get hit once or twice, and then they never really take damage ever again(except against bosses, ofc), except unlike Chirico they do fine damage before upgrades. The only one who isn't a good combatant is Purple 2, who is instead an EWAC unit with resupply - an oddly rare ability in this game, but very powerful, since it can trivially be made to cost no will and be post movement and the Dreistegger really, really likes having someone constantly refueling it so it can spam its doom cannon.

They easily beat almost all of the early real robot choices by a country mile, and only really start running into serious competition power level wise when you run into crazy good stuff like the L-Gaim mkII.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

yes but have you considered they look loving lame and are piloted by a bunch of dweebs

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Them being dweebs is an upside.

I absolutely love how their battle lines include them being big dorks chiming in to poke fun at each other for being big dorks, and they all have absolutely huge reams of custom lines for like every major enemy faction in the game.

Tamaki: "Go home, Pentagoma!"
Asagi: "...it's Pentagona."

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

HerraS posted:

yes but have you considered they look loving lame and are piloted by a bunch of dweebs

This is the most hosed up thing i've read on this website

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't care if Knights and Magic is a mediocre isekai Ernie is 100% perfect for slotting into SRW and I hope he continues to show up.

I'm bringing Addy and the Tzen into every mission because even the mooks sometimes go "seriously why is there a horse-like robot" and her compete "wtf is space and why am I fighting there". Its just so well-done.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HerraS posted:

To be fair, a lot of the cast is some variety of dweeb. The locker shovees definitely look to outnumber the locker shovers.

(Looking at the plot so far, seems the Republic of Zeon is more villainous than in the main UC. I don't see Darcia Bakharov wanting anything to do with Zanscare, judging from his role in The Plot to Assassinate Gihren.)

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ernie seems the type to get real close to SRX when it fires the gaun genocider just to see if the banpresto logo and jingle really do play.

He'd probably explode into a cloud of fanboy sparkles if he ever got to see Sanger Zonvolt and Dygenguar in action.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ernie has absolutely written self-insert srw fan fiction in the past.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You think he would proudly show it off to the pilots he included in it?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Just got the Narrative. I love this Gundam, and its song is fire.

Promptly added NT to my to-watch list, along with Majestic Prince.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cheap Trick posted:

Promptly added NT to my to-watch list, along with Majestic Prince.

I'm not going to tell you not to watch it, but be warned that Narrative is an absolutely terrible movie.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kanos posted:

I'm not going to tell you not to watch it, but be warned that Narrative is an absolutely terrible movie.

Agreed, though I feel like this game is doing a lot to salvage Jona in the same way that previous entries have done with Shinn. He works a lot better with older newtypes to bounce off of.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Honestly, it's not just older newtypes, it's other characters in general. SRW actually has Jona interact with other characters so he can display something of a personality, unlike the movie, where he basically didn't interact with anyone besides Michele.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Cheap Trick posted:

Speaking of Narrative, I'm really liking this Jona kid. I mean, he seems like he's more boring in the actual film, but in SRW, he makes for a refreshing contrast with all the larger-than-life personalities that surround him, sort of like Russell in the OG games.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Kanos posted:

Fair enough, thanks for the warning. If there's at least one good fight scene then I'll deem the movie salvageable.

EclecticTastes posted:

Speaking of Narrative, I'm really liking this Jona kid. I mean, he seems like he's more boring in the actual film, but in SRW, he makes for a refreshing contrast with all the larger-than-life personalities that surround him, sort of like Russell in the OG games.

I dig it, sounds like a good counterbalance to e.g. Izuru's gotta-be-a-hero spirit (which I also like).

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 31, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The stage where you first encounter the Phenex is great just because you have Michele dragging Jona away for another vaguely ominous one on one and Amuro just busts in and tells them not to be idiots.

"You're interrupting."
"Good"

:allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Narrative is worth it just because the villain is hilarious. One of the trailers for the movie was him recapping the UC timeline but making fun of everyone involved.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

Narrative is worth it just because the villain is hilarious. One of the trailers for the movie was him recapping the UC timeline but making fun of everyone involved.

Zoltan is definitely the one bright spot in Narrative, mostly because he's the only character who displays any emotion other than "dour and brooding" for 99% of the film.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

Them being dweebs is an upside.

I absolutely love how their battle lines include them being big dorks chiming in to poke fun at each other for being big dorks, and they all have absolutely huge reams of custom lines for like every major enemy faction in the game.

Tamaki: "Go home, Pentagoma!"
Asagi: "...it's Pentagona."

This is actually something I've noticed; the game really, really, wants you to give a poo poo about Majestic Prince. As far as I've gotten I've seen like two little cinematic bits. One from Combattler when it first showed up showing it launching. And then like, that loving two minute long clip of each majestic prince robot slowly launching from its space ship, complete with a weird rear end shot of the lady pilot who inexplicably has to ride hers like a bike. A lot of the other characters don't get much extra dialogue at all outside of factions at least tangentially related to theirs but these people never shut up. So if you don't like the series, it kind of sucks.

EclecticTastes posted:

I expected to be more like Banagher, honestly. But he's pretty alright. I like how any time someone tries to talk to him and Michele immediately starts throwing attitude towards them he's always like "Oh, come on!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Every SRW game is gonna give some characters more dialogue than others, is the thing. The Cross Ange cast got a ton in V and Wataru was basically the main character of X. Compared to them MJP is honestly pretty lowkey here.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yes but I liked Wataru, I don't like these characters. :colbert:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Cheap Trick posted:

Fair enough, thanks for the warning. If there's at least one good fight scene then I'll deem the movie salvageable.

As an action spectacle it's a better movie than Gundam Hathaway, it delivering it's story in a semi non-linear way where it intercuts into flashbacks frequently is the thing people tend to dislike

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nuebot posted:

This is actually something I've noticed; the game really, really, wants you to give a poo poo about Majestic Prince. As far as I've gotten I've seen like two little cinematic bits. One from Combattler when it first showed up showing it launching. And then like, that loving two minute long clip of each majestic prince robot slowly launching from its space ship, complete with a weird rear end shot of the lady pilot who inexplicably has to ride hers like a bike. A lot of the other characters don't get much extra dialogue at all outside of factions at least tangentially related to theirs but these people never shut up. So if you don't like the series, it kind of sucks.

It's not just the MJP crew. There's honestly an enormous amount of custom dialogue spread across the entire cast. I've heard Van from GxS have custom lines for the original enemies, the L-Gaim enemies, kikaiju, mobile suits, and the Geass enemies, at the very least. Gridman has dialogue for drat near everyone as well. You can also hear J-Decker vocally tell space monsters to surrender or they're under arrest. I was checking and literally everyone I had launched had custom battle lines for fighting the Triple Zero Genesic GGG. They just recorded a fuckload of lines for this one.

As for how much attention MJP gets, yeah, it's a lot, but it's mostly because it's one of the headliners for the game. Gridman gets to reenact the entirety of the first two episodes of its show in its intro stage without really skipping anything, and has three full side stages devoted entirely to unlocking extra attacks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
narrative has a lot of problems but it also has pretty mech fights and considering what thread this is that is the most important part.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

As for how much attention MJP gets, yeah, it's a lot, but it's mostly because it's one of the headliners for the game. Gridman gets to reenact the entirety of the first two episodes of its show in its intro stage without really skipping anything, and has three full side stages devoted entirely to unlocking extra attacks.
Meanwhile K&M seems like it's basically here for Ernie to be a nerd and a bit of Rayearth/Gridman crossover. Granted, if they're committed to sticking with the anime instead of any of the LN stuff, there's not a ton of plot to work with.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

how have you not seen BRAIVU PORISU! J-DECKEER!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Based on my experience so far, it looks like the "big focus" shows for this game are MJP/V Gundam/L-Gaim for the real side and GGG/Gridman/J-Decker for the super side. GxS gets a pretty good amount by virtue of being woven together with Geass. Other stuff does get attention but it's not quite as much.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Majestic Prince is one of just a few series you're absolutely required to have for a large stretch of the game, since it's a key mission no matter which route you start with. I don't know what happens if you ignore all the side missions, or when anyone else shows up automatically, but this is part of why all the core exposition dialog heavily features MJP characters while the less required characters mostly just chime in with commentary unless it's part of their own series' mission chain. If you know what to look for, the seams are kind of easy to spot with the whole "tactical mission select" system.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kanos posted:

Based on my experience so far, it looks like the "big focus" shows for this game are MJP/V Gundam/L-Gaim for the real side and GGG/Gridman/J-Decker for the super side. GxS gets a pretty good amount by virtue of being woven together with Geass. Other stuff does get attention but it's not quite as much.

I barely see anything about V Gundam and apparently I'm considered at the halfway point. Narrative is more of a factor than V Gundam, since they heavily tie it in with the 59th Char/Amuro rivalry storyline.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tae posted:

I barely see anything about V Gundam and apparently I'm considered at the halfway point. Narrative is more of a factor than V Gundam, since they heavily tie it in with the 59th Char/Amuro rivalry storyline.

I have like 3 V Gundam stages I haven't even gotten to yet, one of which is a mandatory mission, and my friend got forced to do another one as an emergency. Zanscare also shows up as an antagonist faction in tons of stages, even ones that aren't "Gundam" stages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

Majestic Prince is one of just a few series you're absolutely required to have for a large stretch of the game, since it's a key mission no matter which route you start with. I don't know what happens if you ignore all the side missions, or when anyone else shows up automatically, but this is part of why all the core exposition dialog heavily features MJP characters while the less required characters mostly just chime in with commentary unless it's part of their own series' mission chain. If you know what to look for, the seams are kind of easy to spot with the whole "tactical mission select" system.
you can also often see the slight gaps in dialogue appearing where the game is checking who you have, like a very small loading pause

Hawke
May 1, 2008
I started with the real side and I've fallen in love with pretty much everybody I've recruited but I'm a little confused still. The game tells me everybody ends up joining eventually but do I still get some of the Gridman plot later on if it seems to be more tied into the super route or do I just get the unit?

Also the way everybody from MJP bounces off each other is killing me every cutscene, it's great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nah, you get the plot of everything. The Gridman intro stage on the Space Route is a bit different from the Earth Route version but it's still covering most of the show's introduction, the differences are more the integration of the space route characters into it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Gridman plot is oddly tied to J-Decker.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

The Gridman plot is oddly tied to J-Decker.

Honestly, if it was Might Gaine I could see where they were going with that connection, but J-Decker is a weird one. I guess Gridman is technically sorta kind of a police officer too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'm more curious about what happens if you do literally nothing but key missions. Do you end up with cutscenes after certain missions where a ton of units/characters are just unceremoniously dumped on you like back in the classic timeline, or do additional key missions spring up to make sure you collect everyone?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Honestly, if it was Might Gaine I could see where they were going with that connection, but J-Decker is a weird one. I guess Gridman is technically sorta kind of a police officer too?

It's because the main characters are both named Yuta.