Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I've got such a weird question I don't even know if this is where to ask it, but here goes: I'm looking for cryptids, legendary creatures, mythical monsters, things of that sort which mostly function(ed) as cautionary tales.

There's a theory that the hulder started as a cautionary tale. According to the theory the hulder often appears when young people are partying and hulder stories was told to get them to go to sleep instead. According to the theory the hulder tales was also a way of making people share mountains pastures, because if one person were staying too long and refusing to share the hulder would also appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lizard Man DGAF

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I've got such a weird question I don't even know if this is where to ask it, but here goes: I'm looking for cryptids, legendary creatures, mythical monsters, things of that sort which mostly function(ed) as cautionary tales. .

Krampus is a great one, it's pretty much an anti-Santa Claus demon who punishes children on Christmas Eve if they've been naughty during the year and in some tellings even kidnaps them, dragging them away to hell or eating them alive

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Sausages posted:

80's animatronic bunyip nightmare fuel:

Would love to see some footage of that one, iirc the sound player for it was faulty resulting in mind-shattering howls and the moving parts were worn out so it moved rather unnaturally. Unfortunately nothing has yet emerged online.

i saw this in real life when i was a kid, about four or five. it would have been in 1989. my parents stopped for dinner in murray bridge, then afterwards, just after sundown, we went and obliterated by childhood sense of wellbeing by watching an insane melting monster emerge behind a cage next to a river.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
I saw it around the same time at around the same age. After sundown was probably the worst time to experience it, the terrible lighting added to the horror.
I don't remember having nightmares but I do remember not being able to go to sleep that night.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Krampus is a great one, it's pretty much an anti-Santa Claus demon who punishes children on Christmas Eve if they've been naughty during the year and in some tellings even kidnaps them, dragging them away to hell or eating them alive

What kind of kinky christmas spirit is that?
Well, it is Germanic

Also Krampus got soul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeNKuLjgVrI

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
How about vampire fruit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_pumpkins_and_watermelons

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Bunnicula was a great book series. “The Celery Stalks At Midnight” is a great book title too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Robobot posted:

“The Celery Stalks At Midnight” is a great book title too.

It took me way too long to get that joke as a kid

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N7Won-Ksqw

:thunk:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
David Hollis uploaded some security camera footage last week of a cloaked bigfoot running across his neighbour's yard in broad daylight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pnwDgqYmA4

:thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk:

It's a bug running across the camera's lens

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bugfoot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:smugdog:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

no wonder they're so elusive... they can change their size@!!

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

As a Krampus survivor, I can tell you that your parents inviting a demon to your house which may or may not take you to hell, is loving terrifying for a child.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Captain Jesus posted:

As a Krampus survivor, I can tell you that your parents inviting a demon to your house which may or may not take you to hell, is loving terrifying for a child.

if you think about it, this is technically satanic ritual abuse

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Where I come we have the much more tame and child friendly Grýla. An ogress who eats all naughty children on Christmas. Her cat, The Yule Cat, also eats anyone, child or adult, who doesn't get any new clothes for Christmas.

The oldest mention of Grýla as some sort of bogeyman, though not Yule related, is from Saga of the Sturlungs, which was compiled circa 1300 from slightly older texts concerning the civil war of 1220-1262, where before riding into battle a character compares his army to Grýla.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, whichever adult invented a character that eats you if you don't get boring but practical christmas presents was a genius.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

That's not Christmas Krampus, that's just čert (the devil, as stated on the postcard) who visits children on December 5 along with the Angel and St. Nicholas. The devil and angel plead for the children to be found naughty or good by listing their sins and good deeds, and St. Nick is the final arbiter to whom the children answer and from whom they receive their reward or punishment. Traditionally, even to this day, actors / volunteers actually dress up as the trio and go around town / neighborhood traumatizing children.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Oct 16, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I feel like more people would be willing to take up seasonal Mall Santa jobs if after a few shifts of putting up with snot-nosed brats you could serve a shift or two as a Mall Demon and blow off steam by threatening children with eternal torment, Good Cop Bad Cop style.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Just read this, it's an excerpt from a new Penguin Classics anthology about dragons that presumably also includes legendary and explicitly fictional material, but it has two very interesting late-19th century newspaper reports about flying reptiles in the American West. I don't know why but I always love reading old newspaper reports of things that were clearly made up but presented with the veneer of respectability. Classic Charles Fort style nonsense is always fun.

https://lithub.com/its-eyes-were-as-large-as-a-dinner-plate-encounters-with-dragons-in-early-america/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

An update on this one, the ParaBreakdown channel did a video about this a few weeks ago which I missed. It turns out that the footage was originally uploaded back in 2014 by a guy called Mark Anders who got his hands on a bigfoot costume and filmed a handful of really short videos out in the woods and then uploaded each of the clips dozens and dozens of times with lovely podcast 'banter' recorded over the top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xgNAdK5-c0

Here's Mark Anders' channel, I don't recommend watching any of his videos because they're all poo poo but if you just scroll through the thumbnails you'll get the gist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnTGN1vz0kVI_sLxiDFiapA/videos

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I was watching the TV show Evil and they did an episode with not only the Elevator game but also Teke Teke and it was a lot of fun.

I was already on board when it was just the elevator game but was over the moon when they name drop Teke Teke. And she even gets used in one of the show's most effective scares.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/JustinD_tweets/status/1453401465125494793?t=o4_BtbgN8-ov1sZR3DbD1Q&s=19

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That tweet thread goes into a lot more detail about the Marxist basis for trying to find the missing link (ie: relict Neanderthals, ie: bigfoots) and cites a bunch of sources if anyone's curious about Marxist cryptozoology

https://twitter.com/JustinD_tweets/status/1453407015565410310

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

New British Cryptids video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QOMBySVKkU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm making a cryptid documentary on blob monsters. That channel makes me want to throw out everything I've done over the past 6 months and just copy its style.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It infuriates me that the British Cryptids channel doesn’t get more views. It’s incredibly well done. I’m sure they’ll blow up sooner or later though!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Have a mothman video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_BHcMTBQY

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snipe and Wib are s tier youtubers. The bit at the end with the horny messages to mothman made me spit out the water I was drinking it was so funny.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It infuriates me that the British Cryptids channel doesn’t get more views. It’s incredibly well done. I’m sure they’ll blow up sooner or later though!

My biggest fuzzy happy memories of spooky cryptid/ghost stuff as a kid was coming home from school and watching episodes of In Search of... on TV. I can't remember if it was Sci-Fi or the The History Channel.

I rewatch it every now and then. It felt (and was) already old when I saw it as a kid. I think part of my nostalgia for it is the degraded video/audio quality.

That youtube channel captures that magic just right. That is the exact fidelity at which I want to watch unexplained things happen.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

WITCHCRAFT posted:

My biggest fuzzy happy memories of spooky cryptid/ghost stuff as a kid was coming home from school and watching episodes of In Search of... on TV. I can't remember if it was Sci-Fi or the The History Channel.

I rewatch it every now and then. It felt (and was) already old when I saw it as a kid. I think part of my nostalgia for it is the degraded video/audio quality.

That youtube channel captures that magic just right. That is the exact fidelity at which I want to watch unexplained things happen.

I'm absolutely there with you. When you watch something like that it feels like you're getting some secret, arcane knowledge. HD cameras and modern technology just don't cut it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
There was an old In Search Of episode that terrified me as a kid, that seemed to suggest there was something like Frankenstein's monster roving around out there. It featured a reenactment where a girl was watching TV alone at night and the monster just suddenly crashes through the windows to menace her.

You have to admire how ISO was just so catholic in their choice of stories: the Loch Ness monster, aliens, Frankenstein.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

nonathlon posted:

There was an old In Search Of episode that terrified me as a kid, that seemed to suggest there was something like Frankenstein's monster roving around out there. It featured a reenactment where a girl was watching TV alone at night and the monster just suddenly crashes through the windows to menace her.

You have to admire how ISO was just so catholic in their choice of stories: the Loch Ness monster, aliens, Frankenstein.

Blake Smith of Monstertalk, which is a great Cryptid pod, and Jeb Card, archaeologist, do a side project pod called In Research Of, which is an episode by episode review and discuss show about in Search of. Its really good and I recommend it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

remusclaw posted:

Blake Smith of Monstertalk, which is a great Cryptid pod, and Jeb Card, archaeologist, do a side project pod called In Research Of, which is an episode by episode review and discuss show about in Search of. Its really good and I recommend it.

Wait I have not heard of this before. Subbed.

And yea MonsterTalk is a great pod.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

remusclaw posted:

I'm looking forward to dipping in and trying out some episodes. They're only five away from Animal ESP!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Related to the Bunyip (insomuch as it's a cryptid from when a large continent was mostly unexplored and likely was just a result of bad translations/descriptions of real animals and also wormed its way into D&D) , I always was a fan of the Catoblepas.

quote:

It is said to resemble a cape buffalo, with its head always pointing downwards due to its great weight. Its stare or breath could either turn people into stone, or kill them. The catoblepas is often thought to be based on real-life encounters with wildebeest, such that some dictionaries say that the word is synonymous with "gnu". It is also known as an African version of a Gorgon.[1]

Though for some reason the D&D version looks more like a furry brontosaurus with a warthog's head:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Is ‘In Search of..’ not streaming anywhere? I’m not against ordering a box set if that’s the only way to see it, if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Is ‘In Search of..’ not streaming anywhere? I’m not against ordering a box set if that’s the only way to see it, if not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxA-TIlq8Hw&list=PL6rj1b7vga5XM-bNJwSmTHrn1Tk69CpvD Here you go