Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I discovered freelancer at a net Cafe when I was 15/16 and spent so much time there playing it that a staff member took pity on me and burnt me a copy to install at home.

Great game despite its flaws and its a shame star citizen isn't just freelancer 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Abongination posted:

I discovered freelancer at a net Cafe when I was 15/16 and spent so much time there playing it that a staff member took pity on me and burnt me a copy to install at home.

Great game despite its flaws and its a shame star citizen isn't just freelancer 2

It's what most people wanted, but not the people with infinite money.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I was getting swarmed and had no luck in getting the cruise engines to fire up.

This, I think, is Freelancer's most major flaw: the god-drat cruise disruption missiles. It can be a lot of hectic fun when you're out searching for wrecks in a hazardous environment zone, when suddenly you're jumped by a wing of enemies, and have to fight for your life. It's a major bloody nuisance, when you're jumped two or three times just going from point A to B, and you're not able to just say "gently caress it" and run. I started my own playthrough about the same time the LP had reached Bretonia, but I uninstalled the game at around the 5th or 6th mission.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've completed a test run of Kepler. I'm not sure what's happened but our reputation with many of the rogues has improved to varying levels. A few still hate us, a couple is almost neutral and the rest are around the halfway mark. I was able to land on a rogue (Xenos) base shortly after arriving, even though they won't speak to us and were negative towards us they were no longer hostile. I'm going to avoid the base in the recording session, I'll save it for a future video. I also found a random trade lane in one of the radiation fields but I didn't find out where it went too and nothing on the map indicates that it was going anywhere, I regret not taking a closer look at it now

inscrutable horse posted:

This, I think, is Freelancer's most major flaw: the god-drat cruise disruption missiles. It can be a lot of hectic fun when you're out searching for wrecks in a hazardous environment zone, when suddenly you're jumped by a wing of enemies, and have to fight for your life. It's a major bloody nuisance, when you're jumped two or three times just going from point A to B, and you're not able to just say "gently caress it" and run. I started my own playthrough about the same time the LP had reached Bretonia, but I uninstalled the game at around the 5th or 6th mission.

It would be much nicer if the effectiveness of the cruise missiles was based on the level of your thrusters and shield. It was strange coming back to Liberty Space, with my Anubis and its Order Thrusters and Heavy Fighter Shield, being halted by a level four fighter. I'm not saying that you become immune to low-level cruise missiles the more advanced you get, but you should be able to shrug more of them off before one of the missiles gets lucky.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
That bit at 3:46 was even better than I'd hoped for. :allears: The station AI (or clueless landing controller, whatever) says "good luck out there" and then you are immediately being fired upon by every ship in the area. Mixed messaging, Lane Hackers...

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Maybe they were being sarcastic?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

Maybe they were being sarcastic?

Personally if you somehow manage to land and then step into a bar of a hostile faction I would be fine with Trent just being shot on sight for being too dumb to live.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Especially given what must by now be well known by the entire sirius sector: he's not even buying anything in the bar.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
He's probably a minimum wage employee who has to read from a list of phrases and any deviations means termination. It may be the future, but people still have severely underpaid jobs with lovely bosses.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016

I also found a random trade lane in one of the radiation fields but I didn't find out where it went too and nothing on the map indicates that it was going anywhere, I regret not taking a closer look at it now
You piqued my curiosity and I had to go take a look myself.
There didn't seem to be any other trade lane rings around, just that one broken set. Could be just a neat piece of background lore about how those dark matter clouds are supposedly moving constantly and could have swallowed up an old trade lane sometime in the past. The Zoners in Ames Research Station fear it could eventually happen to them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

He's probably a minimum wage employee who has to read from a list of phrases and any deviations means termination. It may be the future, but people still have severely underpaid jobs with lovely bosses.

Considering every station follows the exact same script I think you're on to something here.

Realistically you only ever encounter that behavior when you're doing reputation nonsense which is nice and out of bounds for design, but if there's one constant to life it's being underpaid and having lovely bosses.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 13, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Lulti posted:

You piqued my curiosity and I had to go take a look myself.
There didn't seem to be any other trade lane rings around, just that one broken set. Could be just a neat piece of background lore about how those dark matter clouds are supposedly moving constantly and could have swallowed up an old trade lane sometime in the past. The Zoners in Ames Research Station fear it could eventually happen to them.

Thank you for clarifying this, I encountered it again during the recording session but as soon as it came into view I had a brain blip and forgot your name.

I've just completed the Kessler Kepler run. Truth be told, it was a bit of a lazy run for me as I'm tired after taking care of my daughter with the flu and work. My combat encounters could have gone better, but they didn't as I wasn't really in the mood for them today. I'll have to go back and re-watch my recording but I may have got the Zoners mixed up with the rogues. I also forgot to mention the turrets that I picked up from one of the wrecks. I should probably do a re-recording tomorrow when I'm in a more alert frame of mind. This run was only 17 minutes long so it won't take long to do again.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159760

Welcome to Kepler. It was a pretty standard run, a few wrecks, a couple of bases and a couple of jump holes. One thing this system does have is radioactive clouds, big ones, and lots of them. There are also a number of inactive trade lanes two going off in different directions, whether they're damaged or incomplete is something we will probably not work out as they don't seem to be going anywhere of importance. The next system is going to be Galileo, which is going to be an interesting one.

I tweaked the reputation of the Zoners so they would speak to me. Initially, their attitude towards me was around -3 so I've pushed it up to +4. One thing that I noticed during this run is that some of the rogue's attitudes towards me are improving. I'm not sure whether it's because I'm not actively killing them or it's because I've been tweaking neutral reputations, which could mean that they're getting friendly because I'm friendly with their friends. Xenos is active in this region of space and they're no longer hostile towards me, something that I'm not going to complain about.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm not sure if the AI is slightly broken now that some of the reputations with the rogues are on the border between neutral and hostile. Every now and again, they'll disrupt the trade lane and just casually fly past me. On their way past I'll hear the "Targetting Freelancer one dash one" chatter and they'll just slowly be on their way like it's some big joke. :argh:

I'll be in Scotland from Friday to Monday so Galileo will most likely be uploaded on Monday, I still need to record it yet. I'm just on my way to prep myself for it and I had the trade lane disrupted twice on my way over to Planet Denver.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016

I'm not sure if the AI is slightly broken now that some of the reputations with the rogues are on the border between neutral and hostile. Every now and again, they'll disrupt the trade lane and just casually fly past me.
From my experience that seems to be the normal course of action. For example I had Mollies of Bretonia at positive green reputation (while keeping police and military at uneasy neutral) and they disrupted trade lanes numerous times while I was using them and they just sat at the ambush point. Like they were waiting for a big juicy goverment cargo train to loot as a middle finger to the space Queen and not some rando civilian.

On their way past I'll hear the "Targetting Freelancer one dash one" chatter and they'll just slowly be on their way like it's some big joke. :argh:
Now that sounds more like broken AI.
One other option could be some different, hostile group targeting you, but if they just ran off instead of fighting, there should have been chatter akin to "not worth it, I like to live another day" among the patrol squad. I'd often hear that while flying through clouds during post-game.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
As far as I can tell, the way trade lane disruption works is that the game checks to see if it's going to spawn pirates in the area, and if it is, it disrupts the trade lane near them. It doesn't bother to see if the pirates will be hostile or not. Which kind of makes sense, since I guess the pirates themselves don't get to look at who is coming before they disrupt the lane, they just disrupt it and wait to see who falls out.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Would they be able to detect cargo from a distance? I haven't sold off all of the quality cargo that I've picked up from the last two videos yet so I'd be a tempting target right now. I should probably find somewhere to unload them before I record the next video.

Galileo should be another short run, it's similar to Kepler in some ways but this system will be unique in one way. I'll be in Scotland from Friday to Monday so the next update will be up a day later than usual.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016

Would they be able to detect cargo from a distance?
That is supposedly Lane Hackers gimmick, since they are former Ageira tech crew (they made all the trade lanes and jump gates in whole Sirius, before the Kepler/Galileo scandal) and know how to access the data either by hacking or by having friends in Ageira payroll. They usually sell that vital data to other pirates, but occasionally strike themselves when need for supplies rises or they just want to kick their former employers in the shins.

That's the lore reasoning, but I am not sure if mechanically the pirates can detect your cargo from far distance.
Neutral pirates can scan your cargo within close distance and demand it like how police scans you for contraband.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Lulti posted:

That's the lore reasoning, but I am not sure if mechanically the pirates can detect your cargo from far distance.
Neutral pirates can scan your cargo within close distance and demand it like how police scans you for contraband.

Which sucks because I think you lose rep for killing them if you refuse and attack you, when I think the pirates would completely understand 'The motherfucks tried to jump me, and didn't jump high enough.'

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

Which sucks because I think you lose rep for killing them if you refuse and attack you, when I think the pirates would completely understand 'The motherfucks tried to jump me, and didn't jump high enough.'

Most criminals in real life get pissed when you refuse them or fight back. Especially when you kill their guys doing it. Maybe not as much as actively hunting them, but still.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished recording the Galileo run and it went a lot better than I was expecting. It actually went a lot smoother than it usually does which was really surprising. Right up until the last ten seconds where if it wasn't so amusing it would be an absolute tragedy. It's one of those moments where it's too embarrassing not to include.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've just finished recording the Galileo run and it went a lot better than I was expecting. It actually went a lot smoother than it usually does which was really surprising. Right up until the last ten seconds where if it wasn't so amusing it would be an absolute tragedy. It's one of those moments where it's too embarrassing not to include.

Those moments are the absolute best.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the shortest video of the LP so far. There are two bases in the system, both of them owned by rogue organisations, three jump holes and a couple of wrecks. For a change, the actual recording session went smoother than the test run. The Liberty Rogues and Lane Hackers hate our guts so I decided to end the video by leaving the system via a jump gate. Something that was working out well on paper until the actual execution.

I'm probably going to hit up Bering before Hudson as Hudson is going to be similar to Galileo. Hudson leads straight onto New Berlin so I may as well start New Berlin directly afterwards from that jump gate.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

The end of the video is a very good demonstration of why you kill all hostiles at a jumpgate/station if there are any NPC ships wanting to go to the same destination as you, they are just far too ponderous to wait at the queue for while being shot at.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I decided to actually make some effort in selling off the haul from the last three systems worth of wrecks. I flew throught the jump holes and reached Planet Manhattan undetected to sell the artifacts and Niobium. I flew up to Hokkaido to sell the Trade Lane Parts and Pharmaceuticals. I sold other bits and pieces along the way. My funds have gone from 28k to 85k, it was definitely worth it.

It's the school holidays here. I'm back from Scotland seeing my eldest daughter and the holidays have ended there. The holidays in England started yesterday and I have my youngest daughter for the next few days. I'll have enough time to record the next update, I'm even thinking about making the next update a double feature. Hudson and Bering won't take long at all.

StarFyter posted:

The end of the video is a very good demonstration of why you kill all hostiles at a jumpgate/station if there are any NPC ships wanting to go to the same destination as you, they are just far too ponderous to wait at the queue for while being shot at.

Lesson learnt. I did think about just taking them on but I thought that it would be more amusing.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Update: Bering and Hudson are not going to be fun systems to record.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Update: Bering and Hudson are not going to be fun systems to record.

That makes the videos much better!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just recorded the Bering run and it went extremely smoothly. I was expecting it to be really punishing but I think that I got through with a fair amount of luck, the video length is going to be around the same length as Galileo. The only problem that I had was trying to pronounce Unioners.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Hudson has been recorded and it's going to be even shorter. I did have another, more eventful, Hudson recording which highlights just how dangerous the rogues can be in these two systems. I survived a wave of rogues relatively intact and decided to make what I thought was a tactical retreat but ended up selecting the wrong waypoint, flew right back into the danger zone unnecessarily and there wasn't any way to really salvage anything from it. Hudson will have a light skirmish and a change of plan to my original intent of ending the video. I'll edit them over the next few days, which won't take too long, and upload them both on Sunday.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
These border worlds are strangely boring most of the time. You'd think being situated between the big four Sirius power blocks would produce some cool melting pots or something, but iirc, there are few to no multi-cultural organizations (apart from the Order). Gaians have beef with Bretonia exclusively, Liberty Rogues somehow only operate in Liberty space and don't do piracy next door in Kusari or wherever, etc.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I didn't really see much point in delaying these until Sunday. The only reason I kept a once video a week schedule before was to give me enough time to practise and plan ahead for the story missions. Now the story missions have finished I may as well just upload the tour videos as and when that I do them.

Bering went far smoother than it should have done, I was being tailed by numerous waves of rogues and I was either lucky with the countermeasures or, for some reason, they gave up the chase far too easily. In my test run and my abandoned recording, I was swarmed several times and they were all tough fights. The Unioners were able to one-shot my shields and the fights became a war of attrition between their low powered weapons and mine. The big difference was that I was facing six to ten of them at a time and there was only one of me. I was expecting to finish this recording in a smoking wreck and that's how my original recording was going until there was a mix up with waypoints. I forgot to mention in the video that the salvage that I picked up from the Lonestar was 2 x Advanced Tarantulas, I'll show them off at some point.

This brings us to Hudson, the shortest video by a long way. There was very little to see in the system and only a small skirmish near the beginning, hence why it's so short. I was planning on ending the video by flying through the Hamburg jump gate but it's not really important as it's not going to make any difference to the start of the next video.

Torrannor posted:

These border worlds are strangely boring most of the time. You'd think being situated between the big four Sirius power blocks would produce some cool melting pots or something, but iirc, there are few to no multi-cultural organizations (apart from the Order). Gaians have beef with Bretonia exclusively, Liberty Rogues somehow only operate in Liberty space and don't do piracy next door in Kusari or wherever, etc.

I think this is another one of those areas that were sacrificed in an effort to just push out a working game. There was meant to be a lot of side missions for organisations and such added into the game, a lot of lore was planned but most of it was thrown out the window. I can't blame Microsoft for wanting to just get a working game out as they invested a lot of money into it.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Some of the systems being half-empty make sense in context, like Galileo being just a tradelane with not even a single lawful base, because that set of tradelanes and jump gates was made just as a backup incase Kepler got caught in a massive forecasted dark matter storm and cut Liberty and Kusari completely from one another.
That storm never came, Liberty goverment lost billions in the useless construction project, Ageira had their scandal and thus Lane Hackers were born.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Torrannor posted:

There are some border/unexplored worlds that are REALLY cool, but yeah, a lot of them don't have a ton of content.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just completed a test run of the Hamburg system. It's evident that I need a new ship but the ships in Rheinland space are not cheap. After the next recording, I think that I'm going to record a video or two exploring various ways to make money at this point in the game. Some of the more optimal trade routes involve a system or two yet that I haven't explored so I'll stick to a couple that are more local for the time being, I'll also engage in some mining. When I've opened up more of the universe I'll do another video or two with some of the most optimal trade routes that we can undertake, including a cargo run with some highly perishable goods.

I forgot to include the information for Freeport 2:

Freeport 2

Built out of the old framework of an abandoned Republican Shipping outpost, Freeport 2 was founded in 650 A.S. by displaced Texas settlers, Hamburg drifters, and a variety of other individuals looking for safe haven. They aligned themselves with the Zoner movement and its open-to-all philosophy, then purchased a series of Synth Foods biodomes for Food production. The exploding demand for Food from the adjacent Texas system and from local criminal elements has provided them with a steady market for their surplus. Aside from the Zoners, Xenos and Unioners also frequent the station.

CLASS: Dern
GRAVITY: Complete
DOCKING: Yes
AMENITIES: Yes
POPULATION: 850

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just completed a recording of Hamburg and it's going to be a lengthy one as there is a lot to see. I'm definitely in need of a new ship, especially for Rheinland space, as I had a couple of messy encounters with the Unioners. I was having a very hard time trying to coax rumours out of people as most of the bar patrons just wanted to chat business and a couple of people didn't have anything to offer despite tweaked reputations. I'll try to edit it and have it up within the next couple of days.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Dromedary is really good midgame ship, but it does have its limits.

Making a run from <space cocaine homeworld> to Liberty in a Dromedary remains the craziest thing I did in this game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

my dad posted:

The Dromedary is really good midgame ship, but it does have its limits.

Making a run from <space cocaine homeworld> to Liberty in a Dromedary remains the craziest thing I did in this game.

Despite the fact that so much content was cut, stuff like finding places and runs like that via exploration you aren't specifically told about via main story stuff actually makes the game greater for it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome (back) to Rheinland space! It's also a return to a populated area of space once again. I tweaked the Rheinland Military, Rheinland Federal Police and Republican Shipping from 0 reputations to +4 so that they would speak to us, not that people were very talkative unless it was about business. Hamburg has six bases, three jump holes and a lot of rogues despite the bragging about how their police force is everywhere.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
I did mention a possible trans-region trade route of buying diamonds from Planet New Berlin and selling them to Planet New Tokyo.
You can then loop that back by buying niobium in Planet New Tokyo and bringing that to The Ring, which is right next to Planet New Berlin. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

The special thing about this route is the existance of the jump hole you used in Sigma-13 during single player plot, which brought you straight to New Berlin. You can still use that jump hole post-game and it goes both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Lulti posted:

I did mention a possible trans-region trade route of buying diamonds from Planet New Berlin and selling them to Planet New Tokyo.
You can then loop that back by buying niobium in Planet New Tokyo and bringing that to The Ring, which is right next to Planet New Berlin. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

The special thing about this route is the existance of the jump hole you used in Sigma-13 during single player plot, which brought you straight to New Berlin. You can still use that jump hole post-game and it goes both ways.

Rheinland has some of the best trade routes in terms of pure profit. It's just unfortunate at this point in time that they mostly involve a system or two that I haven't reached yet. I probably should have done a trade/mining video before but I was never at a point where I was in need of money apart from at the start of the game.

I'll definitely return to the better trade routes at a later date as there are even bigger profits to be made. Right now, I need a better ship as the Dromedary feels like it's made of glass in these systems.