Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

I cannot think of a single reason to SV a thigh. Sorry, it just makes them worse than simply cooking them on high heat.
I found the most wrong post in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Chicken breast is honestly one of my favorite use cases for sous vide. The chicken tonnato recipe I posted in the general recipes thread is :discourse:

Breasts are perfect for SV.

I found the most wrong post in the thread

I get it, we have folks in here that insist on SV on things where SV adds nothing whatsoever to the food. What possible benefit is there to SVing a thigh?

edit: hold on, brb, puddling my toast. Gonna microwave it after, because ~reasons~

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 18, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i loving hate it when my food is perfectly cooked

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of my toast crisping in the microwave.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hasselblad posted:

I cannot think of a single reason to SV a thigh (and then microwaving them for god's sake). Sorry, it just makes them worse than simply cooking them on high heat.
Cook them however the hell you want, I don't care. You just said that they were coming out of the puddle machine rubbery. That almost certainly means you were using too low a temperature.

Thighs are pretty forgiving for chicken meat so yeah you can cook them in any number of ways other than s-v and they'll come out fine. But it isn't like there's some magic to cooking chicken thighs less precisely or whatever. If you're using an appropriate time and temperature doing thighs s-v gets you what cooking s-v generally gets you--consistency and a high degree of control over the final product. Whether or not you think that's worth the additional time/setup/whatever is up to you. But if you're getting rubbery chicken thighs, that's not because you're doing them s-v, it's because you're using the wrong time, the wrong temperature, or both.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah I would agree that chicken thighs, being the most forgiving part of chicken, don't have AS much of a benefit to sous viding versus, say, chicken breast. but if you're puddling them and they're coming out rubbery, or worse than stovetop/oven in any way, you're doing it wrong, period

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Now I want to experiment with SV bone in skin on thigh, chilled in the fridge and the air fried and tossed in Buffalo sauce.

Partially just to see how much I can overcomplicate things.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

I've seen a video from Ethan Chlebowski on YouTube about sous viding chicken thighs and have successfully done myself.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've done thighs a few times, nice quality big ones. I did it because the difference between the inside and outside was too big when I oven roasted. A proper chef would no doubt nail it without the SV, but I'm not as good as a proper chef so SV helps me get a better result.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I like to sous vide bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs and let them cool in the fridge.

What comes out of the bag are two perfectly cooked thighs ready to sear off in a pan, and a pre-made sauce ready to go with just a pat of butter afterwards. In next to no time, I've got a delicious lunch or dinner, complete with a bomb pan sauce, and not much effort at all.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my first time doing a 24 hour SV cook in the APO. This loving owns, my apartment used to get so sticky and humid when doing a long bath at 165.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

...Does your cambro not have a lid?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i just used a big pot with tinfoil over it

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Since getting frozen chicken strips that aren't disgusting has become nearly impossible I had this thought...
Season a chicken breast (cut in half if a big one). Sous vide to pasteurization time/temp. Go directly into ice bath for a minute then into freezer.
Later, thaw for 4-6 hours, cut into strips or leave whole for a sandwhich. Do a quick beaten egg and panko crust and just pan fry in oil or butter in a fairly hot pan until the outside is crispy.

Is this nuts? Anybody tried anything like this?

I guess I could do all the prep as raw chicken and leave it uncooked. My main reason to do the sous-vide is so I'm not messing with raw chicken at the time I want a quick snack nor wondering if it's done inside and trying to poke a thin chicken strip with a thermometer and the like. Also, don't have to pound it flat if I don't want to so I don't have to worry about frying through a thicker piece if that's what I want, just cooking the outside.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Rescue Toaster posted:

Since getting frozen chicken strips that aren't disgusting has become nearly impossible I had this thought...
Season a chicken breast (cut in half if a big one). Sous vide to pasteurization time/temp. Go directly into ice bath for a minute then into freezer.
Later, thaw for 4-6 hours, cut into strips or leave whole for a sandwhich. Do a quick beaten egg and panko crust and just pan fry in oil or butter in a fairly hot pan until the outside is crispy.

I guess I could do all the prep as raw chicken and leave it uncooked. My main reason to do the sous-vide is so I'm not messing with raw chicken at the time I want a quick snack nor wondering if it's done inside and trying to poke a thin chicken strip with a thermometer and the like. Also, don't have to pound it flat if I don't want to so I don't have to worry about frying through a thicker piece if that's what I want, just cooking the outside.

Thin pieces of fried chicken tend to freeze and reheat reasonably well, and it's a lot less work and cleanup to fry a lot of chicken once than a little bit regularly, so I'd just fry and freeze and then bake from frozen, personally.

I used to cook huge batches of chicken parmesan for my folks to freeze. It'd get packed in glass baking dishes, par-frozen, vacuum sealed, and then go into the deep freezer. Then they'd just de-bag it and pop it into the oven.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

I do this for salad fixings. A breast or two to a bag, different seasoning in any given bag, cool em and freeze em. Beginning of the week throw one in the fridge to defrost and then cut strips as needed for lunch salads all week.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

I do this for salad fixings. A breast or two to a bag, different seasoning in any given bag, cool em and freeze em. Beginning of the week throw one in the fridge to defrost and then cut strips as needed for lunch salads all week.

:same:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm making a boneless prime rib for thanksgiving and to my horror, my inlaws want theirs served...gray.

i was planning on doing a reverse sear cook (by cooking on big green egg) and sear to finish in oven but since they want overdone meat i was thinking maybe it would just be easier to sous vide a smaller portion for them at a higher temp and SV the rest of the roast at proper medium rare temp. however i'm concerned that i'm not supposed to cook protiens that are too thick because of how long they're in the danger zone? ive never bothered doing anything SV that is particularly thick. safe to do or should i try something else? maybe the inlaws can eat the edge pieces if i kept the roast whole? they'd probably be a bit closer to gray

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Just cut off a bit and microwave it for 20 minutes before they arrive, that's all they deserve.

One of the Brazilian BBQ channels actually did something similar and it came out alright, so they might even like it!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm making a boneless prime rib for thanksgiving and to my horror, my inlaws want theirs served...gray.

i was planning on doing a reverse sear cook (by cooking on big green egg) and sear to finish in oven but since they want overdone meat i was thinking maybe it would just be easier to sous vide a smaller portion for them at a higher temp and SV the rest of the roast at proper medium rare temp. however i'm concerned that i'm not supposed to cook protiens that are too thick because of how long they're in the danger zone? ive never bothered doing anything SV that is particularly thick. safe to do or should i try something else? maybe the inlaws can eat the edge pieces if i kept the roast whole? they'd probably be a bit closer to gray

Can you tell them to go somewhere else? I say this partially in jest, but I don't cook to order in my kitchen, because I won't have time to make 4 steaks at different temps.

I don't know how big a roast you're going to get, but the ends were always M-MW done by the time the roast was done in the restaurant I worked at. And if someone wanted well done, we'd just cut a chunk and send it to the kitchen to get wacked in the oven until it was ruined cooked to order. So maybe this is an option? If you're going to cut it into portions to keep it small enough to SV, then you can just put it on the big green egg for longer so it can get nice and grey.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CancerCakes posted:

Just cut off a bit and microwave it for 20 minutes before they arrive, that's all they deserve.

I see 3 options:

1) SV as planned, and once it's carved, take their portions and throw it in the microwave.

2) Trim their steak portion off the roast before you SV, and just throw it in the oven til it's grey on service day.

3) Go to Family Dollar/Dollar General, and buy two of their "ribeye's" and cook those in the oven(microwave) for them.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

toplitzin posted:

I see 1 options:

1) Go to Family Dollar/Dollar General, and buy two of their "ribeye's" and cook those in the oven(microwave) for them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do the low and slow followed by high heat method (lowest the oven goes to until it reaches 120, then highest the oven goes to for maybe 5 minutes). The gives really close to the edge to edge doneness you'd get from sous vide, so there's no overcooked parts to serve folks who don't know what steak should taste like it. There's no way I'd agree to overcook an entire prime rib. So the options would cook a separate piece/couple of ribeyes for them in some fashion, or once the whole thing is done and rested, carve off a chunk and microwave/boil/sear it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh yeah i'm definitely not going to overcook the whole thing for them

i think i'll sous vide the whole thing and carve off their slices and microwave or broil to finish for them

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Don't be a dick imo.

Reverse-sear the whole thing as you planned. The end chops will be the most well-done anyway. If when you carve them, they aren't done as much as they want, sear the interior sides (grill/oven/pan) for another two minutes. That's it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Someone who says “I’m coming to your house for dinner but I insist that you cook my portion specially in a way that complicates your life, out of preference and not medical necessity” is the dick in this scenario, I think.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
they did not insist, i asked my wife to ask them how they would like it cooked because i wasnt sure they'd be on board with med/rare

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, then you played yourself! Onward.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do tomahawk steaks instead and before you do the final sear just beat them to death with them.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BraveUlysses posted:

oh yeah i'm definitely not going to overcook the whole thing for them

i think i'll sous vide the whole thing and carve off their slices and microwave or broil to finish for them

Yeah, I think this is the play. It's what I've offered to do for my mom in the past. However, depending on what they consider/how they measure "done-ness", I've been able to successfully convince my mom to try items below Medium Well by letting them rest long enough that they don't dump juice ("blood", as she calls it) all over the plate. She's even said that she was "surprised how pink it was, but it didn't bleed all over the plate!"

That being said! I do a couple prime ribs a year SV, and when I reheat the next day, it is incredibly surprising how "gray" the thing can get in the microwave and still be fall-apart tender with just incredibly MASSIVE beef flavor; I suspect it has something to do with the way the microwave interacts with the rendered fat in it or something, I'm not entirely sure. So yeah, taking a perfectly-cooked SV prime rib and nuking it for 60 seconds or something shouldn't ruin it or anything. Or just sear it in a skillet/on the grill and it'll be some bizarre Prime Rib/Ribeye hybrid heh.

drat, I want a prime rib now.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
If you have enough people wanting well done, you can do what I have done in the past for my family and split it into 2 roasts. Cook one at 155-160 and after it is done just lower the temp for the other and drop it in there. The extra time at a lower temp will tenderize the well-done meat a little more.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are better cuts for cooking to 160 :(

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I bought a few fillet steaks from Costco. Am I okay to split them up, season them, then vacuum pack them with herbs before freezing ready to drop in the bath when I want one? Or will the seasoning ahead of time be an issue?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I bought a few fillet steaks from Costco. Am I okay to split them up, season them, then vacuum pack them with herbs before freezing ready to drop in the bath when I want one? Or will the seasoning ahead of time be an issue?

You might want to leave out the salt until you're ready to sear, but other seasoning/aromatics should befine. I've vac-sealed meats with salt before and it sometimes comes out with a texture where it's basically been lightly cured

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That was what I was concerned about, so I will avoid it - thanks.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dacap posted:

You might want to leave out the salt until you're ready to sear, but other seasoning/aromatics should befine. I've vac-sealed meats with salt before and it sometimes comes out with a texture where it's basically been lightly cured

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this issue with salt - I see a lot of people/sites saying that it's fine to go ahead and put in the salt before freezing, but it's never worked out well for me either.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So who else is gonna sous vide a turkey this year?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So who else is gonna sous vide a turkey this year?

actually, i was just coming in to ask about this! got a recommended recipe or anything? i'm looking to do a smaller bird since i think it's going to be me and my two parents... and that's it, lol. my partner might try a tiny piece but she's pescatarian so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the Joule ChefSteps thing has a recipe, but it requires a Premium Subscription™. TBH I did enjoy the recipes they had when I briefly had a sub, so am thinking of getting another month's worth to check this out.