Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

pokeyman posted:

When I realized I'll need to consolidate the thread list long-press popover with the 3D Touch/long-press preview, I figured you must've been down this road in your fork with spanky. Did you bump to iOS 13 too?

Also I wanna mention my fork with spanky. I feel bad for the devs, especially cot, who must think I have a huge diff hidden away. I don't! Well, not really...

I haven't done anything around the long press on list views yet. I Actually haven't finished the button changes. We have a big Asana board lol. "Finish the drat buttons" hasn't been moved to Done yet. :v:

So here's what we HAVE been doing:
- New SpankyKong theme! New css, new font, new visual tweaks across the entire app. It looks very nice imo. It's opt-in, obviously.

- New fields in the core data model to contain raw date values from the forums. Existing date fields remain unchanged, but the theme will determine which value gets presented.

- New icons, animations, images. Spanky created these originally and has some updated versions, so we're adding them as part of this release. With animations, we discovered Lotties! He creates them in After Effects and we found a plug-in that lets us export from that program to json animation files: Lotties.

That's how we're getting high fps animations. We're replacing the existing ones and adding a couple of new ones. These will be global changes.

And that's mostly it! We have tweaked some of the views (private messages in particular), but my intent is to make any changes like that reversible via options.

Oh, we also added some haptics.

I definitely have not ripped the app apart and changed it beyond recognition. (That's a future plan. And I do have partial experiments that I post about sometimes)

Yes we have much more ambitious things on the board, but those haven't been done yet. The theme is top priority. And we've iterated on it a lot. A LOT!

Anyways, I'll be wanting to invite the devs to look at it first, then I'll submit a PR to get it into the regular beta.

I'll pm you guys soon. Come see our Asana board :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Okay, I appreciate the enthusiasm but this is the exact opposite of collaborative. As someone for whom this is my only exposure to iOS development it is incredibly frustrating to try to help out by fixing bugs and implementing features I feel like I can handle when I constantly have to wonder if my work is completely incompatible with whatever half-rewrite is being worked on entirely in secret. Why did you even feel you needed to do this in secret?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Sorry, that's the opposite of my intent.

Was trying to let you know that we aren't rewriting the app. Just doing a theme and updating some images.

We forked so that I could release builds to spanky via TestFlight. And it let me hardcode changes in, with a view to clean everything up later.

We have ideas for future things, but nothing started. If / when that does start, how would you like me to proceed? I will take your lead and even bow out if it comes to that.

This is also my only iOS development and, being completely honest, I barely know how GitHub works.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Oh whoops, I didn't think it was meant to be a secret, I was sure y'all talked in this thread about noodling on some ideas in a fork. My apologies if I spilled the beans. I've been thinking of it as a "we wanna iterate quickly without worrying about breaking everything for everybody" kinda thing, and if/when that bore fruit we could figure out whether and how to integrate it. Can't think of a third food metaphor to round this out.

carry on then posted:

Okay, I appreciate the enthusiasm but this is the exact opposite of collaborative. As someone for whom this is my only exposure to iOS development it is incredibly frustrating to try to help out by fixing bugs and implementing features I feel like I can handle when I constantly have to wonder if my work is completely incompatible with whatever half-rewrite is being worked on entirely in secret. Why did you even feel you needed to do this in secret?

I assume commie is upstreaming any reasonably upstream-able bug fixes, so all open issues (bugs and features) in the repo are worth tackling. None of them are in some weird "fixed on a fork so don't waste your time fixing in the main repo" quasi-open state. I feel free to fix or work on anything that catches my eye, which improves the app for all of us today. If something ends up being incompatible with possible future changes, that's the problem of the integrators of those future changes (which might include future me), and I don't worry about it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

New and better imagery and framerate is great. Haptics are great. If changes are getting to the point of needing a "Keep the old UI" toggle then that feels like a decently-sized red flag to me.

The design decisions should be confident enough to not need that imo, and that confidence should be gained from some sort of feedback and testing.

I imagine there shouldn't be an issue with a well made default design and then allowing a lot of customization behind settings, hell SA is full of quirky users and sometimes it's hard to know what feedback is truly significant for the core user base, but I'm personally adverse to throwing spaghetti at the wall and falling back on "well it can be disabled". Always seemed like that was the old iOS vs. Android joke but it felt like it held some merit.

Good to have enthusiastic people though, better then having none and the app eventually breaking.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think the changes are improvements across the board and I’d stand by them. But I also know it’s hard to get an update going in the app - particularly visual ones - without some being resistant or wishing there were options for reverting certain features or keeping the option to include them.

If it were up to me I’d be full steam ahead on the new changes being the new default but it’d likely ruffle some feathers.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Update everything, embrace chaos, hail satan

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ideally the TestFlight group would also be an opportunity to test new UX and then get some feedback from the group.

Does TestFlight let you survey people in the beta? Because that would be dope.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Alright, Awful 5.11 is awaiting App Store review with some bugfixes. Awful 6.0 is awaiting beta app review. The only new thing is bumping the minimum iOS SDK to 13.2 (plus the laziest changes I could make to keep everything working).

The Dave posted:

Ideally the TestFlight group would also be an opportunity to test new UX and then get some feedback from the group.

Does TestFlight let you survey people in the beta? Because that would be dope.

Definitely re: UI changes on TestFlight first. Unfortunately TestFlight sucks for long-running parallel development. I wouldn't want to run months of UI iteration concurrent with the usual new releases in the same stream, and TestFlight doesn't offer multiple streams.

TestFlight has a feedback mechanism, but it's just a text box and I have to remember to go look at it. Would be a very manual survey process, doesn't seem obviously better to me than posting in this thread but I'd be willing to try. If the worry is cluttering this thread too much, we could make a "beta UI changes" thread in project.log.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

pokeyman posted:

Are you on the beta? If not, I just sent the build off to App Review and it'll be out a day or two. Curious if dark mode fixes resolve this issue.

So far the keyboard is working on the latest update. Thanks.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I know this is probably being really picky but I thought I’d point it out anyway. The “back” arrow on the left on the headers looks a bit too close to the edge of the screen when compared with the edit icon on the right. I’m not cropping the sides here.

This is with the latest beta downloaded today (was in the last one too) on whatever the latest ios15 is on an iPhone 12 Pro.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I know this is probably being really picky but I thought I’d point it out anyway. The “back” arrow on the left on the headers looks a bit too close to the edge of the screen when compared with the edit icon on the right. I’m not cropping the sides here.

This is with the latest beta downloaded today (was in the last one too) on whatever the latest ios15 is on an iPhone 12 Pro.

This is an appropriate level of picky imo. I was messaging Commie Kong about it yesterday so we can sort it before we share our forked beta with new back arrow icon.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

pokeyman posted:

Just to double-check, because I have an old issue about crashing on upload: you're seeing the crash before trying to submit the post?

yeah, it crashes immediately upon choosing the image. i think i can reproduce it consistently, i'll try it on my phone after posting this.

oh, another thing, there should be a way to see sent DMs. it's especially confusing because it appears to show an icon on messages that you've replied to, but no way to see your replies. unless i'm missing it.

(more of a wishful thing would be showing whole threads based on the user + ["Re: " +] subject. but this should be a feature on the site itself too, maybe that should happen first)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

b_d posted:

yeah, it crashes immediately upon choosing the image. i think i can reproduce it consistently, i'll try it on my phone after posting this.

oh, another thing, there should be a way to see sent DMs. it's especially confusing because it appears to show an icon on messages that you've replied to, but no way to see your replies. unless i'm missing it.

(more of a wishful thing would be showing whole threads based on the user + ["Re: " +] subject. but this should be a feature on the site itself too, maybe that should happen first)

yeah, if i quote this post and then try to insert these two images, it crashes as soon as i select the second one. but if i insert both images first, then i can add text without issue. in this case even saving the draft and then going back to quote the post.

edit: in case the imgur upload changed them, here's the tweet i originally saved these images from.
https://twitter.com/inouetable/status/1449419224716169216?s=10

big deal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 1, 2021

astral
Apr 26, 2004

b_d posted:

On the website, sent items are saved to the Sent folder if you have selected to save a copy there. You can also create and use additional PM folders and organize your PMs into those folders.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

right, I know you can see sent DMs on the site; I meant I also wish you could see them threaded on the site. obviously not a high-priority feature.

vvvvv ahh cool

big deal fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 2, 2021

astral
Apr 26, 2004

b_d posted:

right, I know you can see sent DMs on the site; I meant I also wish you could see them threaded on the site. obviously not a high-priority feature.

I was elaborating to make sure that, in case it is not currently possible to see other PM folders (including "Sent") in the app, any addition would support arbitrary folders too and not just "Sent". :)

e: The thing about PM threading has a feature request thread already, for reference.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the app has been a bit laggy since the last update. iPhone SE 2020.

It stutters when scrolling. When pulling to refresh, the rotating smiley will stay for a second too long (after the bookmarks have refreshed). Keyboard may take longer to show up. Opening a forum from the forum list takes a second to load, and the animation stuttered for me.

However, these seem to be one time events. That is, once the lags disappears (and it's a matter of seconds if not less) it's gone for good until I leave the app for long enough for the problems to reappear.

E: for now at least, resetting the phone seems to have fixed it

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 3, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the last few times i saw this thread in my bookmarks with a new post, i clicked on it and the :v: would spin forever and eventually i would go back and it was marked as read. perhaps the posts are simply too epic to load.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

that one page has at LEAST 350 images in it. lmao

commie kong fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 3, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Here is a weird one that I just had happen to me and I should have done a screen recording of it.

I was reading a thread and got to the last post of the thread. That post quoted another post up thread. I wanted to quote that post so I click on the post but it kept taking me to the latest post in the thread not the quoted thread. The latest post in the thread had also quoted this post. I hit back and then tried it again and it took me back to the newest post in the thread not the quoted post.

I'll see if I can duplicate it but it could be a weird one off as well or it could only happen when someone after that had quoted a post.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok yeah I was able to duplicate it.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/875116894728896536/905584420088590367/RPReplay_Final1635978489.mp4

Pretty sure this only happens when there is another post made after you click on the thread.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I've had that bug as well.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

commie kong posted:

that one page has at LEAST 350 images in it. lmao

for what it's worth, each time it happened for me it should have been only dealing with one post!

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

b_d posted:

for what it's worth, each time it happened for me it should have been only dealing with one post!

oh really? drat, will have to test.

Maybe we can set some threshold and lazy load excessively powerful post contents

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is there any way to un-un-bookmark a thread?

More than once I've been pawing drunkenly through my threads on the Bookmarks view on the Awful app and accidentally hit Delete (usually because I'm trying to swipe left-from-right-edge to get back into a thread I was looking at, but instead triggered the Delete gesture on some unfortunate thread in my Bookmarks list, and then tapped the red Delete button because I was madly trying to redo the gesture) and ended up deleting a thread from my bookmarks that I had no intention of deleting.

Right now I have no idea which of the 30+ threads that I have bookmarked I mistakendly unbookmarked.

Is this just a lesson to me to be less drunk ?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shake to undo

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Not sure if my eyes and/or brain are loving with me but I could swear smilies used to render more inline with the text size.

This is at 120%, which I’ve used for years and years.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Data Graham posted:

More than once I've been pawing drunkenly through my threads on the Bookmarks view on the Awful app and accidentally hit Delete (usually because I'm trying to swipe left-from-right-edge to get back into a thread I was looking at, but instead triggered the Delete gesture on some unfortunate thread in my Bookmarks list, and then tapped the red Delete button because I was madly trying to redo the gesture) and ended up deleting a thread from my bookmarks that I had no intention of deleting.

Right now I have no idea which of the 30+ threads that I have bookmarked I mistakendly unbookmarked.

Long pressing a thread in your bookmarks list will bring up a menu with “Unmark” You can also swipe left and “Delete”

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cat Hassler posted:

Long pressing a thread in your bookmarks list will bring up a menu with “Unmark” You can also swipe left and “Delete”

It might be too late to shake to undo this post.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Coq au Nandos posted:

It might be too late to shake to undo this post.

Haha

They're right tho. And I just discovered that pokeyman added modern thread list options in the latest beta

Looks great imo

E: Oh you mean to un un bookmark. Crap lemme try shaking to undo my own post

commie kong fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 7, 2021

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

the yeti posted:

Not sure if my eyes and/or brain are loving with me but I could swear smilies used to render more inline with the text size.

This is at 120%, which I’ve used for years and years.

We did change the vertical alignment of smileys from "bottom" to "text-bottom" in the css - it's hard to tell what's right. It improves things in some circumstances but makes them worse in others.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

We did change the vertical alignment of smileys from "bottom" to "text-bottom" in the css - it's hard to tell what's right. It improves things in some circumstances but makes them worse in others.

I actually meant in terms of size not alignment, sorry that wasn't clear, but I'd totally accept that an alignment change is tricking my eyes into thinking they're smaller somehow.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Data Graham posted:

There's been some talk about disabling the swipe-to-delete-bookmark gesture, which is my preferred option as it seems simple and clean: you can't have a gesture collisions between that swipe-to-delete motion and the swipe-to-reopen-thread gesture if there is no swipe-to-delete gesture! :c00l:  And deleting a bookmark is still possible via the longpress menu -- which mirrors the forums view where you can add a bookmark from a longpress, whereas there's no hypothetically corresponding "swipe to add bookmark" gesture.

Now I'm a big proponent of this idea, since I almost never have to delete bookmarks, but I regularly want to resume reading a thread. However there is at least one person in this thread who said they use the swipe-to-delete gesture regularly. I think means they're Holding It Wrong™, but someone brought up a compromise of disabling the swipe-to-delete gesture from being detected if your initial touch is close to the right edge of the screen. I have no idea how feasible that compromise option is, not being an iOS dev in any respect, but if feasible it does sound quite workable to me!

Regardless, I'd also love to have a right arrow button at the top right of the Bookmarks view that would just resume the previously(/currently) open thread, mirroring the left arrow at top left of thread views. (This one might be on the request list, but I would like to +1 it a few more times!)

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 8, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or at least just put up a confirmation dialog?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would move those kind of feedback messages to a toast message at the bottom of the screen that can:

1) offer an undo action on the right of the banner
2) stay on the screen longer in an non-obtrusive way.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Data Graham posted:

Or at least just put up a confirmation dialog?

Too much interruption to the “flow” of things imo. I’d say popping up a brief “Thread UnBookmarked. Undo?” at the bottom of the screen like gmail does when you swipe away a thread would be plenty. Beyond that don’t get quite so plastered?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Warbird posted:

Too much interruption to the “flow” of things imo. I’d say popping up a brief “Thread UnBookmarked. Undo?” at the bottom of the screen like gmail does when you swipe away a thread would be plenty. Beyond that don’t get quite so plastered?

I mean showing a confirmation is a pretty standard iOS way to do things. Try to delete a message thread in Messages.

The Gmail way to do it is not a standard iOS control at all.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah I'm not really a fan of custom controls. We don't really have enough help to maintain those across versions. Moving the context menus to the standard list:

commie kong posted:

Haha

They're right tho. And I just discovered that pokeyman added modern thread list options in the latest beta

Looks great imo

E: Oh you mean to un un bookmark. Crap lemme try shaking to undo my own post

looks great, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Grace Baiting posted:

someone brought up a compromise of disabling the swipe-to-delete gesture from being detected if your initial touch is close to the right edge of the screen. I'm not an I have no idea how feasible that compromise option is, not being an iOS dev in any respect, but if feasible it does sound quite workable to me!

i still support this option. i also don't know how easy it would be to implement though. if it's doable, it would be the ideal solution since there's easily a generous enough margin on the right that would cover every attempt to swipe the page over without interfering with anyone who actually intends to swipe a bookmark