Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to try this game tonight: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/qkjf4w/genfanad_generic_fantasy_adventure_retro_revival/

e: this isnt the mmo chat thread but eh, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Last King posted:

welp, based on them disabling all forms of trading today... almost certainly not.

Lmao

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
It should be easy to find at least the biggest offenders and take it back or ban them. It would be better for them to do nothing than to wipe servers.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Considering that there seem to be multiple dupe methods that AGS hasn’t done anything about since closed beta and also considering that AGS seems to have no clue whatsoever about how their code works I don’t think wiping the servers is a workable solution

I mean maybe unless they want to make extra EXTRA sure that people don’t trust a single one of their future releases lol

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'd be more against duping but if they make it that easy I'd just call it a good way to make back all the gold you spend repairing things after you die for the hundredth time due to a combination of desync/poor balancing/character not responding/abilities going into a different dimension.

Besides, if they wipe the servers there's a nonzero chance they'll somehow gently caress something up and shut down an entire AWS region or something ridiculous.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

back in 2006 my EVE account was hacked and was used to launder money. I changed my password while they were in the middle of doing it and ended up with 500mil ISK for free. thats my story and the most exciting thing that ever happened to me in EVE.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

cosmicjim posted:

It should be easy to find at least the biggest offenders and take it back or ban them. It would be better for them to do nothing than to wipe servers.

i don't think anything is easy for this team. not fixing game breaking bugs, or even basic chat it seems.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Now I'm inclined to believe the dupe claims. The quest completion thing feels bogus still but duping? Pretty convinced now.

Game had such potential...I wonder if it's worth trying to fight for my 40+100ish in cosmetics spending? Probably not. loving Bezos.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I think the super slow pace of (failing at) fixing things is ultimately what is making me want to play less and less. Fire staff abilities broken in this patch? Better wait until next week to be able to use your skills normally. A week, minimum, to fix purely broken poo poo is breaking me, in the end.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Since they disabled wealth transfers, this means more than just give gold.

No trading.
No buy orders.
No sell orders.
No completion of said orders.

So you can't just trade with friends right now.

Also, non WW territories normally don't get enough money from taxes to pay for their company rent. They have to rely on donations. That is also disabled.

And although wealth transfers are disabled I still have to pay my loving taxes for using crafting stations or having a home.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
This whole wealth transfer pause is kind of wild because like… how long does it last? There is an operational goal of “fixing the bugs and dishing out bans” that seems like it is at least moderately time consuming. Are we just looking at weeks of no trading here? How long until someone figures out some way to trade anyways?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Ort posted:

I think the super slow pace of (failing at) fixing things is ultimately what is making me want to play less and less. Fire staff abilities broken in this patch? Better wait until next week to be able to use your skills normally. A week, minimum, to fix purely broken poo poo is breaking me, in the end.

Lol at a week even being the minimum. It takes them a weak of lovely chat filters to fix a very stupid vulnerability. Fixing weapon bugs is probably a month at least.

There are things I really like about this game but not being able to fix huge issues means that they will be even less able to add new content or make bigger changes in a timely manner. That’s what kills my desire to play any more. I can deal with some jank for a bit but it’s not likely to get better at this point.

Maybe I’ll check back in when I’m bored of endwalker.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm repeating myself but I think the game is largely pretty OK in terms of being fun but loving lmao at all these bugs. I know that AGS is relatively new but you think they'd have hired some managers who have actually worked on a video game before, but I guess not!

Still standing by ~July 1 2022 for official plug-pulling

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Lawlicaust posted:

Lol at a week even being the minimum. It takes them a weak of lovely chat filters to fix a very stupid vulnerability. Fixing weapon bugs is probably a month at least.

Amazon Games Services has 162 job openings including 70 for software engineers. This game is f'd. They clearly don't have the manpower to handle all of the bugs and qa everything. Doesn't help that they laid off a significant number of developers in 2019 (right in the middle of this games development) and never fully replaced them. AGS has been horribly mismanaged from day one and this is the end result.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

And yet somehow this game has a 74% on steam and has caused me to lose a bet.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Nothing to see here, we're just casually stopping all forms of wealth transfer globally

:tif:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im sure turning off major gameplay systems won't break anything unexpected either

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

eonwe posted:

im sure turning off major gameplay systems won't break anything unexpected either

You never know maybe it fixes a fixes a few bugs

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Now I'm inclined to believe the dupe claims. The quest completion thing feels bogus still but duping? Pretty convinced now.

Game had such potential...I wonder if it's worth trying to fight for my 40+100ish in cosmetics spending? Probably not. loving Bezos.

How the gently caress you spend so much on cosmetics, most of that poo poo is so loving ugly

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

a dingus posted:

You never know maybe it fixes a fixes a few bugs

I hope your typo was intentional because that’s exactly how any new world bug fixes work. Even if unintentional, that’s exactly how any New World bug fixes work.

They really should have a public test server. They probably don’t because their code and release management is a complete shitshow as evidenced by every release so they probably cannot actually have a working PTR.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Lawlicaust posted:

I hope your typo was intentional because that’s exactly how any new world bug fixes work. Even if unintentional, that’s exactly how any New World bug fixes work.

They really should have a public test server. They probably don’t because their code and release management is a complete shitshow as evidenced by every release so they probably cannot actually have a working PTR.

What typo? After many failures and setbacks in my posting history, we have a success.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
if they had a QA team i imagine it wouldnt have taken 2??? 3?? days to fix a HTML exploit

but since it seems even devs are having to reply to forum posts I doubt they even have a fully staffed and functional QA team

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
since when does any modern software development have QA or testers? devs are supposed to do all of that end to end, there are no more SDETs or DBAs or etc

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Kill All Cops posted:

How the gently caress you spend so much on cosmetics, most of that poo poo is so loving ugly

I mix and match pieces to create more interesting outfits. Plus I've swapped weapons so many times. And of course I needed furniture.

And I had a bunch of Gamestop credit I used on steam cards.

Shush.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ort posted:

lol weapon poo poo will literally never get fixed, I have no idea where you're getting this week timeframe from.

I really don't understand the faith people have in AGS, it's insane. A game studio with a long list of Ls and not a single W, but yeah they're gonna turn it around now, just you watch and wait.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I really don't understand the faith people have in AGS, it's insane. A game studio with a long list of Ls and not a single W, but yeah they're gonna turn it around now, just you watch and wait.

a mix of copium and sunk cost fallacy

at least the social media manager still has a job

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Just a reminder: AGS has released three games (they got canned after a few months) and cancelled an aditional 5 games before they got released. What exactly have they done to deserve any sort of trust in their abilites?

The only thing people latch on to is that amazon is rich beyond rich and has resources to throw around. But you drat well know they wont, they'll take the cash and quietly pop it in the head once enough people have quit.

fake edit: game still poo lol

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

BombiTheZombie posted:

Just a reminder: AGS has released three games (they got canned after a few months) and cancelled an aditional 5 games before they got released. What exactly have they done to deserve any sort of trust in their abilites?

The only thing people latch on to is that amazon is rich beyond rich and has resources to throw around. But you drat well know they wont, they'll take the cash and quietly pop it in the head once enough people have quit.

It’s the same logic of people that support Stadia. Money + Cloud = Magic

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its very funny to me that they delayed their completed game that they are publishing, Lost Ark, in order to rush out their own uncompleted game

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

lol weapon poo poo will literally never get fixed, I have no idea where you're getting this week timeframe from.

I mean the core game is pretty fun and it had as good as start as you can probably hope for, but they've made barely any real progress since then and only caused more problems. It's kind of sad, really, game could be something really good.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo its well known on my server now that the hatchet is broke.

We've narrowed it down to " against all odds " giving 10% more damage for every enemy with in 5 meters not resetting.

So if you keep your hatchet out with out swapping weapons or taking it off you do stupid crazy damage.

GG next bug.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

BombiTheZombie posted:

Yeah a huge problem with that theory is that one of Amazon’s guiding tenants is “frugality”. Sure they may have more money than god but as soon as a manager decides that they should be in cost cutting mode instead of investing mode, it’s dead on the table.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Next bug found:

https://twitter.com/JoshStrifeHayes/status/1455314202030116868

This is amazing.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

it's good that the simulation is server-side and that Amazon is a competent company with Best Practices for continuous integration/continuous delivery (i.e. the ability to drop a patch in the middle of the day with no serious interruption to users) so that they could fix things like hatchet exploits quickly and easily

man could you imagine if they didn't know how their own applications and tooling worked? wow it would be so embarrassing for the management there to be outed as complete amateurs who have no business being in charge of any type of complicated infrastructure

ah well good thing capitalism is all about accountability, this'll get sorted out right quick

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
gently caress it man, let's go fishing

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
They hosed the servers up I couldn't play with my bros, exploits, bugs, no pvp server, the game is still live with all of these dupes happening people streaming it.

Amazon you loving suck

Going back to a company that truly cares about their player base - Blizzard- HAHAHHA

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lmao so Amazon created a situation where the economy is paralyzed but for the wealthy landowners you get free money

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They say to write what you know.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

gently caress it man, let's go fishing

ah yes, the minigame that can be solved with a simple google of a github script

Adbot