Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's not like they really disappear either. Someone is running the operations year round to make sure Spirit Halloween goes off without a hitch next year.

Store fronts are short term, and staffing is seasonal, probably saves a ton of overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

spirit halloween are cicada storefronts

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My favorite holiday is Halloween, and my wife's is Christmas. She's made my love of decorating the house for Halloween bleed into loving decorating the house for Christmas as well. I always did the lights for Christmas, but now I put in more effort on the lawn and such.

I wish that Spirt would close for a bit after Halloween, do their shipment of all the Halloween stuff back to their warehouse or whatever, and then prep for Christmas stuff. Same store, but with the Christmas stuff you'd have to go to those big box hardware stores to get your inflatable Minons with Santa hats or whatever. Close on Christmas Day to the public, and empty the store by New Year's Eve.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It is surprising that Halloween is the only holiday they open.

Where is Spirit Christmas, Spirit Easter, and Spirit Presidents Day?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'd rather have Spirit Halloween in January.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Zero One posted:

They can't do the Christmas store anymore ever since the lawsuit from the Charles Dickens estate.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
They're owned by Spencer's - they don't really "do" other holidays

Although the Jack Skellington crossover event is right there

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Zero One posted:

Once Halloween is over(and in some store, at the beginning of October) the Christmas stuff starts going up; its hard to compete with every grocery store/hypermarket with stuff that is usually way cheaper than Halloween stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sekhmnet posted:

Once Halloween is over(and in some store, at the beginning of October) the Christmas stuff starts going up; its hard to compete with every grocery store/hypermarket with stuff that is usually way cheaper than Halloween stuff.

I saw Christmas poo poo going up mid-september this year.

I imagine part of it is due to supply issues creating a rather anemic Halloween section compared to years past, and we all know how stores hate having empty shelves for any reason.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sekhmnet posted:

Yeah, Halloween works because it's more about individual expression and stocking a wide range of costumes and decoration is more work and space than big box stores are willing to dedicate to it, so you're competing with like one tiny aisle worth of mostly kids' costumes at Target.

Christmas stuff is all pretty samey by comparison and it's easier for stores to stock a couple types of tinsel, ribbon, etc. and call it a day.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd rather have Spirit Halloween in January.

Andrew Garfield - hates Mondays, loves lasagna

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Target at least tried really hard this year to eat into the "only lasts one year before turning into plastic dust but cooler than you'd expect for the price nonetheless" Spirit Halloween merch department this year. I don't know how overall effective it was.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Zero One posted:

The local haunted house does other holidays here. Their St.Patrick’s day show apparently has evil leprechauns, though I’ve never been.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

xarph posted:

Gentleman, we've done it. We've manifested a photoshop.

A Halloween Spirit embiggens the smallest Fry's.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

blugu64 posted:

The local haunted house does other holidays here. Their St.Patrick’s day show apparently has evil leprechauns, though I’ve never been.

I'm surprised this isn't more common honestly

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

xarph posted:

Gentleman, we've done it. We've manifested a photoshop.

Wow. They'd probably only be able to use a quarter of the space.

I don't know how Spirit Halloween stays in business year after year. I don't get the impression Halloween is as big as it once was even ignoring covid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Purely anecdotal, but the Spirit stores in this area were pretty packed most of the last week or two when I would drive by

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Rick posted:

Target at least tried really hard this year to eat into the "only lasts one year before turning into plastic dust but cooler than you'd expect for the price nonetheless" Spirit Halloween merch department this year. I don't know how overall effective it was.

I got a cute jack-o-lantern from Target, but it's a watermelon instead of pumpkin. It was "dumb yet cute" enough that I bought it, it was sitting in the window last night. :3:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Zesty posted:

Wow. They'd probably only be able to use a quarter of the space.

I don't know how Spirit Halloween stays in business year after year. I don't get the impression Halloween is as big as it once was even ignoring covid.

Party City is a different beast, since they're open all year (though even they are expanding into Halloween season pop ups, if I recall right), but the last time I looked into it, they make roughly a full quarter of their yearly income solely during the Halloween season. It's still a booming holiday, when it comes to sales.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw Christmas poo poo going up mid-september this year.

I imagine part of it is due to supply issues creating a rather anemic Halloween section compared to years past, and we all know how stores hate having empty shelves for any reason.

I don't really mind the supply chain issues. Anything that slows it down is good. 99 percent of the supply chain is US dollars being exchanged for single use plastic crap from China. Said dollars are then converted into fighter jets and naval vessels that the rest of east Asia has to deal with.

Nevermind, I really need that slutty cat outfit for my wife.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I don't really mind the supply chain issues. Anything that slows it down is good. 99 percent of the supply chain is US dollars being exchanged for single use plastic crap from China. Said dollars are then converted into fighter jets and naval vessels that the rest of east Asia has to deal with.

I also need that slutty cat outfit for your wife.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Me three.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

username origin story

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Zillow Seeks to Sell 7,000 Homes for $2.8 Billion After Flipping Halt

Who would have thought trying to flip houses when prices were at an all-time high was a bad idea?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Zillow Seeks to Sell 7,000 Homes for $2.8 Billion After Flipping Halt

Who would have thought trying to flip houses when prices were at an all-time high was a bad idea?

Just lol if Zillow is the one that pops the housing bubble.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Will the executives that pushed forward Zillow's spectacular failure face any consequences?

No, it is the employees who will suffer!

https://twitter.com/TimJHanrahan/status/1455638319434436609

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is that the company who was buying up houses in NA?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, bought thousands of homes to attempt to resell at prices nobody would be willing to pay.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Is that the company who was buying up houses in NA?

One of them yes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Maybe as someone making middle class money I will be able to afford a house again. Probably not, I have a feeling this bubble only bursts in places where it is lovely and snows all year.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It seems…wrong for a company that lists homes and sets price expectations with their zestimates to also buy and sell homes.

They lost 300+ million in the hottest home market ever, so it’s unlikely they’re smart enough to game the system, but still.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Makes u think that their z estimate might just be a whole lot of bullshit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Real estate agents have been flipping houses for ages; it’s a filthy, corrupt market.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Real estate agents have been flipping houses for ages

And Vanilla Ice

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think they should stop flipping Vanilla Ice

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Empty Sandwich posted:

Hey, it’s a living.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Empty Sandwich posted:

ice ǝɔı baby

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krispy Wafer posted:

It seems…wrong for a company that lists homes and sets price expectations with their zestimates to also buy and sell homes.

They lost 300+ million in the hottest home market ever, so it’s unlikely they’re smart enough to game the system, but still.
Someone posted about the process in BFC and the zestimate apparently doesn't come into it at all(at least when they're buying, which honestly isn't surprising at all since they want to pay as little as possible):

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So, when I was looking at the FSBO house a couple months back, I spoke to the guy and he told me that he was also pursuing just selling the home straight to Zillow. Seeing as how I wanted to unload my home quickly, I asked him what the process is like. He actually broke the whole thing down.

1) You start the process by answering a long series of questions that fill in the specifics of your home, and the quality of the home in your opinion. Some of this is already filled in by data mining websites (number of beds, baths, etc.). Zillow then automatically spits out a number. This number is NOT the same as the Zestimate you normally see. This number is the absolute maximum Zillow will pay for your home.
2) Zillow schedules some kind of appraiser/home inspector (the guy I spoke to wasn't sure what the actual title was) to look at the home. This person does not work for Zillow but is local talent being independently hired by Zillow. This person will basically find everything wrong with the house and will be looking at some worksheet to basically knock $$$ off the maximum price. This guy then hands you a new price at the end. This is the new maximum Zillow will pay for your home.
3) Zillow calls you back again and tells you all the repairs and upgrades you need to make to your house. Yes, yes, Zillow DOES claim they repair the houses between purchasing them and reselling them (they don't), but YOU need to make the repairs for this one if you want us to buy it. Most of these things are to make the home meet the requirements of VA Loans and FHA Loans.
4) Finally Zillow gives you a final number. This number will be close to (but never greater than) the number you got after the inspection.

So they aren't EXACTLY using an algorithm. But they definitely were still overpaying. I mentioned this pages ago, but all the Zillow homes in my area were price dropping below the buy price. I figured Zillow was making bank off the fees, but I guess not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1461348239878225934[

Perhaps putting a store on any pad that there wasn't already a Starbucks or Subway on was a bad business model for a pharmacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
e^: lol at business history rhyming and echoing again and again and gaing.

Zil posted:

Just lol if Zillow is the one that pops the housing bubble.

i mean other megacorp vampires are just going to sweep into the firesell and try to not to be the bag holder for that bubble.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Nov 18, 2021