Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

brugroffil posted:

My washer just decided to fail.

What's the best options for basic models these days?

I had a Samsung side-loader have what is apparently it’s characteristic catastrophic drum failure. I asked the repair tech what he’d buy for himself, and without even a hint of contemplation or hesitation, he recommended Whirlpool. And that’s how I ended up with a matched pair of Whirlpool side loaders.

Also holy gently caress appliances are more expensive than they were two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

what the hell is a side load washing machine and how is it different than front load

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Deviant posted:

what the hell is a side load washing machine and how is it different than front load

The front is a side, technically.

I’m a doofus is the ultimate answer.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

brugroffil posted:

Prepare for a sea of Speed Queen zealots

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m not a fan of top load washing machines but a basic whirlpool or Maytag top loader is a fine relatively inexpensive choice.

I recognize speed queens are awesome but I don’t care for their low capacity and water usage. Maytag commercial series are another alternative to the speed queen.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 31, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Inner Light posted:

Prepare for a sea of Speed Queen zealots

They’re not wrong, either. They’re fantastic machines, but decidedly not the budget option.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I've had an LG front loader for almost a decade now, it's been fine. Consumer Reports has a bunch of them at the top with relatively high reliability which has been my experience. I've had to replace the cold water solenoid but that's it, and it was very easy to work on.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

what about dishwashers? i think im about to land on bosh. kinda surprised theres no dedicated appliance thread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Saucer Hovers posted:

what about dishwashers? i think im about to land on bosh. kinda surprised theres no dedicated appliance thread.

I’ve already landed on Bosch’s 800 series, but good luck actually finding one you can buy.

I can’t even get on a waiting list where I live, which kinda breaks my brain. I don’t care how long it takes, just let me get in line.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bosch 800 series seems to be the favorite for sure.

I have the nicest whirlpool made in 2018 and I have zero complaints. Quiet. Cleans dishes. It takes over 3 hours to run a load but we set it for 2 am anyway

The time thing is due to the energy star stuff. Most new dishwashers take like 3 hours to do a normal load I think

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I ordered a Bosch in August. They said it would probably be in mid-November. It isn't even on the boat yet. Welcome to shopping for appliances in TYOOL 2021.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My parents have a pair of boschs that have been extremely reliable. They do have a few issues though. They are super small, which is great for a small place, but if you regularly do full loads in a us sized washer expect to do 2 loads. The dryer is slow as balls. Like 2 hours. What's annoying to me is the wash cycle and the dry cycle are way different (wash cycle is shorter), so you have to leave your wet second load in the dryer for a while.
These are both far more annoying than you'd think.
Otoh, it is super compact, reliable, efficient, and quiet. I am seriously considering a pair for my next pair when my current LGs break (please note my problem with LGs is they doesn't seem to be designed to be fixed, for example replacing a molded up seal on mine took an entire disassembly of the machine v. Just removing the seal like most machines).
Make sure you leave the door open on the washer, they do like to mold up.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MrYenko posted:

They’re not wrong, either. They’re fantastic machines, but decidedly not the budget option.

their hilariously low capacity rules them out since we have two small children that need near constant laundry

thanks everyone!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We've had two Bosches, and both of them were standard American-dishwasher sizes. I know because they fit exactly into the niche left into American cabinets.

Oh, wait, this is crosstalk. NM is talking about Bosch washer/dryers, about which I know nothing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

This is the way, the truth, the light.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I wanted to get a Bosch dishwasher but they were sold out. Ended up betting Miele that I like a lot

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I wanted to get a Bosch dishwasher but they were sold out. Ended up betting Miele that I like a lot

Hovers over the probate button

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

It's hard to go wrong with either of those. I have a Bosch and tend to recommend them because that's what I know and what is more common in my area (read: parts and service).

E:

H110Hawk posted:

Hovers over the probate button

lol

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I have had terrible experiences with $10k of Bosch appliances bought in December of 2019.

Multiple issues with damaged delivery, which is still Bosch's issue, since the outside packaging was spotless.

800 series dishwasher went off on a leak alert a couple months ago. Turns out they used a plastic ring nut inside the stainless tub to secure the drying aid canister. They superceded that plastic ring with a metal one and it'll probably be fine, but it took me time to diagnose their issue, since local appliance techs are 2 weeks out on new calls. Plus, after that 2 weeks, you just get a diagnostic service, so nothing gets fixed. I ended up fixing it myself and having Bosch send someone out to certify the repair.

A week later, one of the wall oven combos I bought stopped microwaving. Long story short, magnetron took a poo poo. Tech said he'd never seen that before.

Earlier, the refrigerator was loaded with European firmware that took going to the engineering level of Bosch to figure out what the damned thing was trying to do on the wifi network.

In general, what I've seen from Bosch is no better and often worse than the GE Profile stuff we had before.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

In general, what I've seen from Bosch is no better and often worse than the GE Profile stuff we had before.

Sucks about the dishwasher but......yeah, I wouldn't suggest any other bosch appliances. All I've heard were bad things.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

Sucks about the dishwasher but......yeah, I wouldn't suggest any other bosch appliances. All I've heard were bad things.

And Bosch corporate is terrible. They offered to replace the units, and when I said "yeah, let's do that," they backpedalled and said "Well, it has to go through managerial review" and that was 5 weeks ago. On Friday, I got a voicemail message saying "We have a decision on the managerial review, but cannot leave the answer on voicemail or send through email, you must call us." So, I called the number they left, only to be told the queue was "at least" 45 minutes. Absolute bullshittery for a supposed top-tier company.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My Siemens dishwasher is excellent, particularly in that it's totally silent. Would definitely buy again. The Bosch ones have the cool full width cutlery shelf though.

I have an AEG washer/dryer set and a Siemens one. Dryers for both are heat pumps which supposedly saves a load of energy. They both get clothes clean and dry and neither has broken.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Yeah, Bosch appliance stuff besides their dishwashers are not good. I stayed in a house with a full brand-spanking-new Bosch kitchen set, and the microwave (drawer type) and especially the fridge were absolute garbage. I've seen nicer built fridges in the discount area at Best Buy.

For dishwashers, as long as it has a heating/drying element and a stainless tub, it will probably be alright. I got the Maytag Wirecutter used to recommend, and it works really well. It was about half the price of the Bosch.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

brugroffil posted:

I had a kenmore top loader that was the best and lasted for like 15 years of pretty much every day use. I replaced it last year with a Maytag top loader and it’s been fine. No complaints at all.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Anyone have experiences with IKEA's built in microwaves? Finishing our basement and making a little kitchenette down there. Going with IKEA for cabinetry and seems most straightforward to just buy their microwave to get the built in look on a budget. It won't get a ton of use, fwiw.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
No experience but when I was building out our kitchen I thought the same thing, but then I looked and the max wattage on any of their models was 800w which is just lol low.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

B-Nasty posted:

For dishwashers, as long as it has a heating/drying element and a stainless tub, it will probably be alright. I got the Maytag Wirecutter used to recommend, and it works really well. It was about half the price of the Bosch.

We have that Maytag too and it’s pretty darn good, especially for the price. The one thing I’d like it a louder end-of-cycle noise so I could pop the door open to get everything totally dry.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A couple pages back...

Rythe posted:

Bought and moving into my first ever house and obviously there are a few projects that I would like to do but adding solar to our roof is pretty high on the list. The house is only 15 years old so I'm not worried about the roof needing to be replaced anytime soon, all the inspections show everything is in great shape, .

Curious if the solar panels need to be removed to replace the roof down the line or can everything be worked around? Anybody have any experience with this?

Panels have to come off, and be mindful that the company you choose to do the install might require you to use them to remove them too, in order to "preserve the warranty." at whatever rate they decide to charge.

couldcareless posted:

Dealing with this right now. We had to pay to have the panels removed so we can get the roof redone. Insurance covered the cost of removal and eventual reinstallation since the roof repair was covered as well.

Yes, we will cover this so long as the roof repair/replacement is due to a covered loss.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Panels have to come off, and be mindful that the company you choose to do the install might require you to use them to remove them too, in order to "preserve the warranty." at whatever rate they decide to charge.

And the company may or may not exist in 1-20 years when you do this. Either spend a little more right now to get a company in it for the long haul, probably one that's been around for 10+ years already doing home efficiency improvements, or spend a little more (time, money) later when you inevitably need work done. (At some point in time your inverter WILL go out, a panel will die, you get the idea.)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We just replaced a whirlpool microwave with a Bosch and I think the Whirlpool might have been a better unit. Although the Bosch is also an oven, which makes up for it overall.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I always just used whatever microwave was in any place I rented or none if it didn't come with one since I wasn't a fan of microwaves, but when we were buying other appliances after we bought this house I grabbed somewhat randomly an LG microwave too (I think it was the top wirecutter pick at that time). I think it was like $150ish. It's been fantastic. It has a bunch of auto reheat settings that actually work. Instead of ending up with cold spots or overcooking poo poo so it explodes everywhere, you can just set the auto heat and it actually just heats it up. Definitely worth the money and its never had a problem.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

And the company may or may not exist in 1-20 years when you do this. Either spend a little more right now to get a company in it for the long haul, probably one that's been around for 10+ years already doing home efficiency improvements, or spend a little more (time, money) later when you inevitably need work done. (At some point in time your inverter WILL go out, a panel will die, you get the idea.)

That's good advice and so is the information with the warranty. I was definitely going to look for a company that has been in business for an extended amount of time around the Raleigh area. We are prone to hurricane and potential power outages so having some solar power seems like a good idea just in the long run.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rythe posted:

We are prone to hurricane and potential power outages so having some solar power seems like a good idea just in the long run.

I hope you realize that a standard solar install will do absolutely nothing if your grid power is out. You're looking for a different class of inverter/install and probably storage as well. (Read: $$$$, probably $$,$$$ with any meaningful storage)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

When we looked into solar it was a pretty terrible idea. Crazy amounts of money and even with the expensive power here it'd be 20 or 30 years to break even on the install much less the maintenance. I believe that was also without any storage. I think there used to be a lot of tax credits that people were chasing but that doesn't seem as much of a thing anymore.

Make sure you get multiple estimates of how suitable your actual house's position is for solar also.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I have a question for a weird situation. I had a local electrician company come to my house two weeks ago to replace my breaker box, fix a bunch of poo poo, etc etc. They did amazing work! Super nice cats, explained everything, showed me some stuff, like 11/10 service. My weird situation is... I haven't received an invoice from them yet? They came on 10/18, and that Friday I sent the master electrician an email just being like "hey I haven't received an invoice, just checking in, y'all did fantastic work and I want to make sure you get paid."

But it's been radio silence since.. well, they were physically in my house. The master electrician had an auto-reply on his email for 4/5 days after they were done, but it's well past the 'away message' dates that were provided in the email. Is this like.. normal? Like on the one hand, I do like not spending $5,000-6,000 dollars, but on the other hand they were great electricians who I was absolutely going to use again. I was invoiced promptly by my carpeting/flooring company and they're the only other contractor I've hired, so I do not have a lot of experience with timeframes on home projects, but also like I would think they want to get paid too? :confused:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
If it's some mom and pop thing they may just do all of the billing once a month or something.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I’m not sure I would really start tracking anything until a month or two went by. Good tradespeople are just often awful businesspeople.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

falz posted:

If it's some mom and pop thing they may just do all of the billing once a month or something.

The Dave posted:

Yeah I’m not sure I would really start tracking anything until a month or two went by. Good tradespeople are just often awful businesspeople.

All I needed to hear, thanks!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The guy putting in our minisplits for like $30k just quoted me $15k to install a heat pump water heater, which involves running two water lines and a 220V AC line out a wall and into a unit on a bracket mounted to the outside wall.

So I guess I'm paying way more than I need to for these minisplits, then.

On the plus side, this guy actually returns my calls and, after 10 months looking, agreed to do the work...

Do I even need an HVAC person to install a water heater? I'd be moving from gas to electric, but I'm getting an electric sub panel installed 2 feet away from where the tank would go, and the manufacturer seems to think I can just hire a plumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

cruft posted:

Do I even need an HVAC person to install a water heater? I'd be moving from gas to electric, but I'm getting an electric sub panel installed 2 feet away from where the tank would go, and the manufacturer seems to think I can just hire a plumber.

Varies by state and location, generally no though.

Also yeah 2 minisplits for 30k seems high I was quoted something like 20k for 1 minisplit and one full HVAC replacement (60 year old furnace out, new Main trunk, AC installed, and 96% furnace), and a power vent gas hot water tank.