Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

stev posted:

Ben Shapiro does movie reviews? I thought he was just a hate preacher.

I want to know why Youtube recommended his review to me..
The algorithm surely must have seen my history filled with people who mock him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeafNote posted:

I think you got it in one.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DeafNote posted:

The algorithm isn't that smart, its a blind idiot god that work entirely off of keyword association. It saw that you watched [Ben Shapiro Content] before and so recommended you more [Ben Shapiro Content] regardless of whether the previous content you watched was pro or anti Shapiro

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait... why don't they just have the carryall hangout with the harvester?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This is a bonus post! Collect three for a prize!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 1, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

AnEdgelord posted:

The algorithm isn't that smart, its a blind idiot god that work entirely off of keyword association. It saw that you watched [Ben Shapiro Content] before and so recommended you more [Ben Shapiro Content] regardless of whether the previous content you watched was pro or anti Shapiro

This is why Ben Shapiro reviews Dune. He doesn't have anything useful to say about it, but if you watched a video about Dune (red letter media review, lore geek explaining what spice is, whatever) you can now get served up a Ben Shapiro video too.

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait... why don't they just have the carryall hangout with the harvester?
There's multiple carryalls and multiple harvesters out at any given time, likely there are less carryalls than there are harvesters.

The harvesters the Harkonnens use in the intro look different, I wouldn't be surprised if they're a more advanced model with a carryall built in

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Did I miss a part where the movie explains what drum sand is? When Paul steps on it and says "drum sand!" panicked, it was as if we were supposed to know what that means, but since the audience hasn't been told what it is, it was a big ??? moment in the middle of what was supposed to be a suspenseful scene.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Origami Dali posted:

Did I miss a part where the movie explains what drum sand is? When Paul steps on it and says "drum sand!" panicked, it was as if we were supposed to know what that means, but since the audience hasn't been told what it is, it was a big ??? moment in the middle of what was supposed to be a suspenseful scene.

Sound goes "boom", then he steps on it twice more and it goes "boom boom" and he says "drum sand". The viewer, knowing what both "drum" and "sand" mean individually, is invited to use abductive reasoning to explore the subtextual connection between the two

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Origami Dali posted:

It made a loud noise every time he stepped on it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Mind you it is pretty stupid that he steps on it twice more to confirm, like it's possibly my biggest peeve in the movie

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, I know, that's the reason I was confused. It seemed like he was calling the worm for a second.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So, video game adaptations. Where could we go using only the official book canon (gently caress off Brian and KJA) and the new movies style and presentation?

RTS is an obvious choice though niche, but what could be Dune's Arkham Asylum or Shadow of Mordor? Something that draws from across the source into a package that is stand-alone and approachable?

I’d say “give it to Paradox,” but someone has probably already made a Dune mod for CK2...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Origami Dali posted:

On the one hand, it is self-explanatory...

On the other hand, I’m certain there is a cut or extended scene on Caladan where Paul is watching the video about the Fremen’s desert walk and it continues to explain drum sand...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So, video game adaptations. Where could we go using only the official book canon (gently caress off Brian and KJA) and the new movies style and presentation?

RTS is an obvious choice though niche, but what could be Dune's Arkham Asylum or Shadow of Mordor? Something that draws from across the source into a package that is stand-alone and approachable?

We've gotten 3 RTS out of Dune and barely scratched the surface of stuff they could put in. Just keep giving me that sweet, sweet non-canon House Ordos.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

sean10mm posted:

It made a loud noise every time he stepped on it.

To be fair, the sound of the drum sand as he starts running on it blends extremely well into the score which starts swelling up at the same time, to the point that it took me a few seconds to realize it was still supposed to be the sand and not orchestral drums.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 2, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

On the one hand, it is self-explanatory...

On the other hand, I’m certain there is a cut or extended scene on Caladan where Paul is watching the video about the Fremen’s desert walk and it continues to explain drum sand...

I thought "huh I wonder if drum sand is a real thing"

E: it is not. But I mean, quicksand is! So who knows what's going on with sand?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I thought the point of the dual was for "Paul" to "die". He had a vision right before that that said Paul Atreides had to die so that Mua'dib or whatever could rise, and there was a line that if you kill someone, you kill yourself. And his mom says he has never killed anyone.

So by killing the other guy, "Paul" is dead.

And I don't mean McCartney.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Presto posted:

I thought the point of the dual was for "Paul" to "die". He had a vision right before that that said Paul Atreides had to die so that Mua'dib or whatever could rise, and there was a line that if you kill someone, you kill yourself. And his mom says he has never killed anyone.

So by killing the other guy, "Paul" is dead.

And I don't mean McCartney.

The voice in the vision also says “when you take another’s life, you take your own...”

I think it’s a ~Paul the Man must kill off Paul the Boy~ kind of deal.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
There’s a few “rebirth” bits.

Paul inside a giant womb with his own mother having his first prescient vision and then being reborn out of the sand I mean come on

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Randalor posted:

We've gotten 3 RTS out of Dune and barely scratched the surface of stuff they could put in. Just keep giving me that sweet, sweet non-canon House Ordos.

Crushers and monitors sound so fun, and are perfectly within the capabilities of an engine like Supreme Commander's. I want to start off a mission smashing an enemy base flat with an orbital drop before unloading troops all over it and making it mine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Apparently this is kind of a real thing.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-are-quotbooming-sand/

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The voice in the vision also says “when you take another’s life, you take your own...”

I think it’s a ~Paul the Man must kill off Paul the Boy~ kind of deal.

That’s clear afterwards, but if you haven’t read the book (or don’t remember it, as in my case) that scene reads like Paul is about to die. I thought that he was going to come back Jesus style though, he is a Messiah after all.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

2house2fly posted:

I thought "huh I wonder if drum sand is a real thing"

E: it is not. But I mean, quicksand is! So who knows what's going on with sand?

Drumsand is the sand that Shai Hulud hasn't made a path through recently. Head canon is fun.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Want a plot hole? Why is a carryall capable of carrying a spice hauler but not able to just pick up the crew?

My personal take is that the Harkonnen designed that model and they didn't give a shiiiit.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

Want a plot hole? Why is a carryall capable of carrying a spice hauler but not able to just pick up the crew?

My personal take is that the Harkonnen designed that model and they didn't give a shiiiit.

It's because in the books the carryall is hijacked by a sleeper agent and fucks off since the condition of the equipment the Atreides has been left was exposited on earlier in the text. It's a neat bit of storytelling to still get that exposition in without adding the scene but yeah they should've adjusted the evacuation proportions or something.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I liked when the movie stopped to play Deserts of Kharak for ten minutes. :colbert:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I just assumed there was no way for the crew to get to the roof of the harvester, otherwise they would have landed the orthinopeters on the roof as well. Bad design I guess?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Starks posted:

That’s clear afterwards, but if you haven’t read the book (or don’t remember it, as in my case) that scene reads like Paul is about to die. I thought that he was going to come back Jesus style though, he is a Messiah after all.

More book 2/3 spoilers: he also kinda does

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWfQwGiO66U

apparently

He's really bad at reviewing movies obviously lol

Lol at Ben suggesting that it would have grossed 90 mil opening weekend if its not on HBO Max. Sure Ben, a 2.5 hour part 1 sci-fi epic during a pandemic, is going to do Joker numbers. It took a four day weekend for Shang Chi to put up 90 mil and that film had an extended media cycle and the MCU and Disney adverting network behind it.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 2, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
stop talking about the man who has a separate bedroom because he can’t pleasure his wife: he wants you to talk about him

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let's not discuss B-n Sh-p-ro in the Dune thread.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just finished watching the film. It had some great cinematography and art design but the plot was super confusing with some pretty sloppy parts and overall it just wasn’t engaging.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

stop talking about the man who has a separate bedroom because he can’t pleasure his wife: he wants you to talk about him

Very much agreed in general but just want to briefly laugh at him over this.

Because it’s so loving sad and he deserves it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWfQwGiO66U

apparently

He's really bad at reviewing movies obviously lol

Did he find it a bit dry

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
can you please, please find it within yourselves to stop quoting that loving video

e: vvvv aaaaargh i hate his face so much

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 2, 2021

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

can you please, please find it within yourselves to stop quoting that loving video

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The United States posted:

I just assumed there was no way for the crew to get to the roof of the harvester, otherwise they would have landed the orthinopeters on the roof as well. Bad design I guess?

That plus the carryall doesn't really seem equipped to get low or land. It probably has a super custom cradle at base that it has to land in carefully and creaks louder every time

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

e: vvvv aaaaargh i hate his face so much

He's good at hitting the Alex Jones mark where even the people who hate him want to talk about how much they hate him, which then gives him free advertising

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Saw this in IMAX last Friday and loved it. Apparently they don't check tickets at the movies anymore? You just walk right in and sit down. Only 4 people in the theater when I walked in, of course somebody was in my seat. Oh well, I sat a few seats over and the theater only got to like 10% occupancy anyways. Not like I was going to make a stink about my seat in a mostly empty theater.

The sound was incredible, loved the intensity of when they used the Voice. The sense of scale of the big ships was super cool. It made me realize how much I missed seeing movies in a theater, nothing quite like the huge screen and killer audio setup. I wish the navigators made an appearance though.

I want to see it again in IMAX! Looks like Wednesday 11/3 is the last showing in my area though, I am bummed it doesn't have a longer IMAX run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I liked when the movie stopped to play Deserts of Kharak for ten minutes. :colbert:

Yeah I got real DoK vibes as well and I loved it. Rewatched the 'movie cut' of it after seeing Dune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RkPcWYZllk and it feels like it has a similar kind of restraint(?) to Villeneuve's films.