Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Love the part in tdr when Ali ends the stream with "Verin is a darkfriend! Haha kidding no way"

Like em both. Like her humor and his attempts at funny voices. Plus they like good people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Affi posted:

Love the part in tdr when Ali ends the stream with "Verin is a darkfriend! Haha kidding no way"

Like em both. Like her humor and his attempts at funny voices. Plus they like good people.

I just want the series to get to the green dress scene, and then just cut away to something else for a while or even until the next episode. It's such a great line.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

seaborgium posted:

I just want the series to get to the green dress scene, and then just cut away to something else for a while or even until the next episode. It's such a great line.

A plot twist 19 years in the making (for the books alone), and now we have to wait a couple more years for these podcasts to catch up. And then the TV show (fingers crossed)!

Talk about anticipation.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I can't wait to see show Verin, her and Logain are my two most anticipated characters

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

I can't wait to see show Verin, her and Logain are my two most anticipated characters

they haven't announced who meera syal is playing, but i hope it's verin -- i bet she'd do an excellent job at Verin's dotty old aunt schtick

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

eke out posted:

they haven't announced who meera syal is playing, but i hope it's verin -- i bet she'd do an excellent job at Verin's dotty old aunt schtick

I'm about 97% she's Verin

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I cant believe we havent had a Sheriam yet. How they gonna get through S1 & 2 without Sheriam?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

SerSpook posted:

its actually weird things ish consciously chooses to do because he thinks its metal as gently caress and awesome, but his focus on this is why he gets owned by rand every time

this is actually the madness the rest of the forsaken reference, not that he thinks he's the dark one or wants to undo all of creation
This is a better explanation than “the wheel did it”.

I always thought it was kind of like how in book 1 Moraine casts an illusion to make herself look 20 feet tall or whatever and she steps over the wall of Baerlon. And then no one ever makes a weave do something like that again. I assumed it was a similar “project illusion weave” but since it’s rand and Ishy they are strong enough to make it fill up the sky.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

th3t00t posted:

I always thought it was kind of like how in book 1 Moraine casts an illusion to make herself look 20 feet tall or whatever and she steps over the wall of Baerlon. And then no one ever makes a weave do something like that again. I assumed it was a similar “project illusion weave” but since it’s rand and Ishy they are strong enough to make it fill up the sky.

The Tower envoy to Rand makes themselves look larger to seem more impressive/imposing, and he thinks "Pfff, they seek to use the Mirror of Mists against me?" and pops the illusion, then recognizes that "Mirror of Mists" is a phrase he got from Lews Therin.

I think Alanna also uses it to frighten the Two Rivers girls she and Verin had with them in Caemlyn.

The weird thing is: how did Moiraine get over the wall? She can't fly. Was there a door she ran through?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Vavrek posted:

The weird thing is: how did Moiraine get over the wall? She can't fly. Was there a door she ran through?

Yup. The text is careful to note that the gate to Baerlon is still open. So she makes a big image of herself stepping over the wall, probably does something to blur her and her horse, and as the big image is stepping over the wall she just rides through while everyone's distracted

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Vavrek posted:

The Tower envoy to Rand makes themselves look larger to seem more impressive/imposing, and he thinks "Pfff, they seek to use the Mirror of Mists against me?" and pops the illusion, then recognizes that "Mirror of Mists" is a phrase he got from Lews Therin.

IIRC, he has the thing where Lews Therin's voice is going off about it in his head with stuff like "They are trying to impress the Lord the Morning with the Mirror of Mists?" with a kind of "This five year old is trying to intimidate me into letting them stay up late by throwing their afterschool karate class snapkick at the air and it's kinda cute that they think they can do this but I can't let them get away with it." air.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still haven't read the last book, but in the end, how useful was LTT anyways? He just a real burden, and a way for Rand to personalize his madness, and not his useful memories or skills.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He just accepts he’s part of himself and when he does turns into Jesus and everything around him turns to rainbows and sunshine. So pretty useful in long run I guess.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Shageletic posted:

Still haven't read the last book, but in the end, how useful was LTT anyways? He just a real burden, and a way for Rand to personalize his madness, and not his useful memories or skills.

Very. Without knowing it failed last time, he might have tried to go it alone again.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Shageletic posted:

Rand's madness from Saidin WAS "Lews Therin" appearing to be a totally separate person in Rand's head, instead of simply being a part of rand himself (Because the two are the same people/same soul). And yeah if he hadn't re-integrated those memories and accepted that it was him all along then he'd have lost, bigtime.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

CainsDescendant posted:

In my head Margo Martindale is Verin but the role is low on scenes for too long so I don't see them getting her

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Goofballs posted:

In my head Margo Martindale is Verin but the role is low on scenes for too long so I don't see them getting her

They could just reenact scenes from some of her other work and it would fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvX9sL5qkwc

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vavrek posted:

I think Alanna also uses it to frighten the Two Rivers girls she and Verin had with them in Caemlyn.

Yeah I remember mirror of mists being used frequently for disguises and such, but never again to make a 20 foot tall projection step over a city wall. Seemed like one of those early book quirks that doesn't reappear.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I can't think of any situations later on where a "I am now 20 feet tall" illusion would have been useful.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

th3t00t posted:

Yeah I remember mirror of mists being used frequently for disguises and such, but never again to make a 20 foot tall projection step over a city wall. Seemed like one of those early book quirks that doesn't reappear.

Alanna does it in Caemlyn to get the Two Rivers girls to run screaming to bed after Rand terrified them. I mean maybe it was only 10-15 feet? Whatever the main room ceiling height was.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Rand's madness from Saidin WAS "Lews Therin" appearing to be a totally separate person in Rand's head, instead of simply being a part of rand himself (Because the two are the same people/same soul). And yeah if he hadn't re-integrated those memories and accepted that it was him all along then he'd have lost, bigtime.

This is just like my persona games!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just hit the part in wheel takes where they start calling Morgase 'mayonnaise' and it almost made me turn the pod off

that was my reaction when they called Moiraine "Morgan", I actually did turn the podcast off

because it was just after eye surgery and I was still in hospital, it made me laugh so hard my eye started to hurt really badly :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

They also have good singing voices. Which for some reason is always a double-plus on my book.

(I just really like music, OK??!)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s ok to like a thing.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Haven't touched Crossroads of Twilight in approximately 9 months, but ive got a windshield replacement this afternoon and I can't leave to pick it up later, so let's see if I can power through the last 3/4 of it in that window of time!

I know "the slog" is certainly less painful when you don't have to wait, but those books just aren't as much run to get through minus their big climaxes at the ends of them.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Haven't touched Crossroads of Twilight in approximately 9 months, but ive got a windshield replacement this afternoon and I can't leave to pick it up later, so let's see if I can power through the last 3/4 of it in that window of time!

I know "the slog" is certainly less painful when you don't have to wait, but those books just aren't as much run to get through minus their big climaxes at the ends of them.

My experience reading the books for the first time this year was the same as with ASoIaF - the "bad" books in the series are totally reasonable when there's not a long wait between them. I personally found crossroads interesting, even if it didn't advance Rand's plot until the very end.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
CoT has a bunch of Mat and Tuon and that's fun. And Egwene may be one of my least favourite PoV characters but I've always thought that the Tower Aes Sedai were fun to get mad at even so.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I think a problem with the "slog books" is they kind of stop being "books" and are instead just "more chapters". The first 5 or 6 at least work as coherent chunks of story mostly with beginnings, middles, and ends for all the characters, but later on everything gets smeared out.

Anyway, 16 more days until we can talk about something else.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/fanologypv/status/1455928084230598658?s=21

Confirming that the Dragon can be reborn as male or female and it’s not just a marketing gimmick…

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

buffalo all day posted:

Confirming that the Dragon can be reborn as male or female and it’s not just a marketing gimmick…

i like the sensible pants and suspenders outfit under that cloak

so far this show is delivering on my hopes that they spent a stupid amount of money on all the costuming

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

good, it's a really minor change that helps get rid of some of the gender essentialism from the books that probably wasn't meant in a malicious way but doesn't really add that much on the flipside

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Still gonna have to be a big part considering only men have the ~TAINT~.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only books that are kinda boring on rereads are the sanderson ones, but that's only if you've memorized what happens. Jordan packs so much detail that there's no way you can memorize everything from a scene, even if you know what happens. It's one of the reasons I love the series.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

this is the change that will kill the show, its the taint, not the corruption!!! mark my words judkins! you're killing off your meme base!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Yeah the possibility of a sane female Dragon makes everyone's fear at the idea of the Dragon Reborn not really play the same way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given how much pull the dragon has on their own i think people are going to be concerned about making sure they're doing things that they support no matter what, even if they're due to go insane or not and especially since them ending up on the 'good' side is explicitly not a guaranteed thing

also it won't change how the story plays out anyways, just let us have this one thing

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

GENDER TAINT EQUALITY NOW!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Yeah it doesn't quite gel with me. If the dragon is reborn a woman she won't go crazy and a lot of the terror is taken right out.

Like, sure she would still remake the world and tear down the old order, but it's not quite the same.

So it goes.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i want nynaeve to be the fakeout dragon, due to being extremely strong in the force one power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Johnny Joestar posted:

also it won't change how the story plays out anyways, just let us have this one thing

You've already got it, don't sweat people's reactions.