Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Mega evos, Z-moves, dynamax and the like all suck. If you want to refresh or buff a pokemon line, just give them an evolution (Pinsir, Heracross).

gently caress yes what a good snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

humpthewind posted:

Mega evos, Z-moves, dynamax and the like all suck. If you want to refresh or buff a pokemon line, just give them an evolution (Pinsir, Heracross).

gently caress yes what a good snype

It is the truth
add a 4th stage and make the mega evos permanent

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mega is cool not just because it buffs some fan favorites, but also because it's actually am interesting decision for team building since it occupies your item slot and the one-per-team limit

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

of the three mega-evolutions are definitely the best. z-moves the worst maybe

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Z-Moves may be the worst animated things in the franchise, and that's saying something.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 2, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Bee posted:

Z-Moves may be the worst animated things in the cranchise, and that's saying something.

You mean the generic ones, right?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Last Celebration posted:

You mean the generic ones, right?

Oh, without a doubt. The individual ones tended to be really cool and flavorful, but the generic ones were literally models being dragged across the screen. And unlike stuff like Scorbunny's double kick that got mocked to hell and back, the Z-Moves get put front and center with big, dramatic framing.

The Flying and Fairy type ones are legitimately embarrassing coming from the world's biggest franchise.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Excuse you Toucannon angrily slamming itself into opponents without a twitch is hysterical and good

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Toucannon sustaining flight and gaining altitude by ANGER alone is a thing of beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryf9VAwTMG8

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The main thing I don't like about mega evolution is that there is a special item for each pokemon. The general items pocket already has hundreds of things in it, oh well let's add a few dozen more. Let us make our own bag pockets GF, not just "favourites" or whatever

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

HootTheOwl posted:

I think SwSh could have been so much better if they leaned in to the league as a sport thing and instead of just 8 gyms fight the champ they did more tournaments like the ending. Get endorsements, play in some minor tournaments, have a few gimmick cups. I think that plot would have been more interesting than watching the adults take care of things (and also they're dumb for its own dumb sake).

I thought Gen6 was fine and it included ORAS which were pretty good. Emerald remains the best of the 5 Gen 3 games though and it's pretty annoying that they knew Crystal was better than GS when they made HGSS but didn't remake Emerald.

This would be great. Make Rose (or whoever the main antagonist is) be the coach of an opposing team, Hop is your rival for star of your team. No crime, no world-destroying gods monsters, just a searing sports rivalry from tip to tail.

This would also feel like a natural extension of the whole Team Skull thing, where it turns out they're less "bad guys" and more "the most marginalized people in society." I'm in favor of any step away from the same old story of "organized crime boss seeks to use god pokemon to DESTROY THE WORLD!"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hammerite posted:

The main thing I don't like about mega evolution is that there is a special item for each pokemon. The general items pocket already has hundreds of things in it, oh well let's add a few dozen more. Let us make our own bag pockets GF, not just "favourites" or whatever

I feel Mega Stones could easily be condensed into a single Mega Stone item, let the player get multiple if they want to run a bunch of Megas, and let them choose which Charizard/Mewtwo they'd get upon Mega Evolving as in Let's Go. It's a bit broken for those two specific cases, but other than that it'd just simplify the item bloat.

Though well, they did that by just removing the entire mechanic I guess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Toucannon sustaining flight and gaining altitude by ANGER alone is a thing of beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryf9VAwTMG8

Toucannon in general is the best, I wish his stats were closer to Pikipek than the weird “guess we gotta make him slow now!” thing super ubiquitous to Gen 7, but he’s just a virtually normal toucan that’s super pissed, and that’s okay.

…that is, normal until it revs up Beak Blast and it’s beak goes through a whole charge cycle.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I just caught wind of a romhack that upgrades the resolution of RGBY's dopey backsprites in battle and I adore what I'm seeing. (Won't link because I'm not sure if rom patches are :filez: or not) but:

if I had to compile a list of things I like about pokemon, "doofy gen 1 sprites" is probably in my top 5.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Patches are fine, it’s linking to a rom of any kind that’s off-limits.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Last Celebration posted:

Patches are fine, it’s linking to a rom of any kind that’s off-limits.

Yeah, see also how sites like LTTP Randomizer can operate freely but they have to tell you to go find your own ROM.

Looks pretty decent, did they have to do anything clever to fit all the extra graphics data into the space available? Or are they using a larger ROM file than the original (I don't know how it works on the Game Boy)

Bring back Gen 1 Haunter

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Bee posted:

Z-Moves may be the worst animated things in the franchise, and that's saying something.

They didn’t really have much of a choice since they would’ve had to customize animations for 807 Pokémon, most of which can learn at least half a dozen Z-moves

This kind of thing is why Dexit happened

RatHat fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 2, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RatHat posted:

They didn’t really have much of a choice since they would’ve had to customize animations for 807 Pokémon, most of which can learn at least half a dozen Z-moves

This kind of thing is why Dexit happened

Which feels funny because what we got instead of Z moves was "but what if pokemon but bigger?" and it was almost more low effort.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Oxyclean posted:

Which feels funny because what we got instead of Z moves was "but what if pokemon but bigger?" and it was almost more low effort.

And yet despite seeming lower effort, they still made and saved a new model for every Dynamax instead of just scaling models up.

I also completely agree that there should've been a Dexit way, way sooner. I disagree, however, that they had no choice with the Z moves. They could've made moves that account for their limitations instead of whatever the hell was going on with Twinkle Tackle.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Bee posted:

And yet despite seeming lower effort, they still made and saved a new model for every Dynamax instead of just scaling models up.

I also completely agree that there should've been a Dexit way, way sooner. I disagree, however, that they had no choice with the Z moves. They could've made moves that account for their limitations instead of whatever the hell was going on with Twinkle Tackle.

Yeah that’s fair. Maybe the people that designed the Z moves didn’t really think of the logistics of it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Last Celebration posted:

Toucannon in general is the best, I wish his stats were closer to Pikipek than the weird “guess we gotta make him slow now!” thing super ubiquitous to Gen 7, but he’s just a virtually normal toucan that’s super pissed, and that’s okay.

…that is, normal until it revs up Beak Blast and it’s beak goes through a whole charge cycle.

Toucannon rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnzkeQWAgCg

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Bee posted:

What's going on with Twinkle Tackle is that it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hekerFgs9GI

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel Mega Stones could easily be condensed into a single Mega Stone item, let the player get multiple if they want to run a bunch of Megas, and let them choose which Charizard/Mewtwo they'd get upon Mega Evolving as in Let's Go. It's a bit broken for those two specific cases, but other than that it'd just simplify the item bloat.

Though well, they did that by just removing the entire mechanic I guess.

Agreed. Why bother having so many for each specific Pokemon when you can only use one at any given time? All it did was fill up your bag and arbitrarily limit when you could use the brand new feature that they were so proud of. Especially since the stones don't do anything besides fill up an item slot if you don't decide to mega-evolve that particular mon.

Shiroc posted:

What's going on with Twinkle Tackle is that it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hekerFgs9GI

This is the one case where the nonexistent animation almost works.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. Why bother having so many for each specific Pokemon when you can only use one at any given time?

Because you can fake opponents out by having two pokemon with mega stones and letting them guess which one you're going to evolve, or even just have two in the back pocket and choose to evolve one over the other depending on the situation.

Though as someone else said, the real solution to that is just to give you four to six generic Mega Stone items that will just mega evolve any Pokemon you give it to. Make an exception for Mewtwo/Charizard though I guess and just let them have the two separate kinds specific to them, it'd still cut down on the item bag bloat to just let them be special.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Or improve the item bag UI to be less of a junk drawer.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
The real reason there were so many different megastones was that they were rewards for exploration is XY and ORAS. Poking around in the depths of a cave and you stumble on the Alakazamite or whatever. SuMo kept megas but just threw all the stones into a BP vendor at the Battle Tree, so it lost a lot of oomph and just look like clutter.

They totally could have given a megastone only pocket though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It is the truth
add a 4th stage and make the mega evos permanent

Megas with items lmao okay.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Geostomp posted:

This is the one case where the nonexistent animation almost works.

It has this energy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc which is far more memorable than a mediocre 'good' animation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Japanese pokemon cries are just one guy saying the pokemon's name huh?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Megas with items lmao okay.

I think you'll find it would actually be incredibly good and cool to let Mega Garchomp have a Choice Scarf.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
it's kind of a shame there's no real distinction between "mega which makes a previously terrible mon usable and good" (ie: beedrill, mawile, banette, lopunny, etc) and "mega on something which absolutely did not need an extra 100 points in their BST holy poo poo are you kidding me" (garchomp, metagross, etc), because some of the former absolutely deserved to be permanent buffs

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And they could have been if Gamefreak didn't decide to remove all megas forever.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Maybe megas would be cool and worth keeping if more than two didn’t look like garbage, and the actual stated purpose of “giving bad moms a buff” wasn’t better served by just giving them a buff or evolution.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

where did they state that

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I don’t think they ever said that.

The very first Mega that was revealed was Mewtwo lol.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

it's kind of a shame there's no real distinction between "mega which makes a previously terrible mon usable and good" (ie: beedrill, mawile, banette, lopunny, etc) and "mega on something which absolutely did not need an extra 100 points in their BST holy poo poo are you kidding me" (garchomp, metagross, etc), because some of the former absolutely deserved to be permanent buffs

Wasn't Megachomp kind of a sidegrade anyway? Obviously that changes if you give it an item slot but I wouldn't put it in the same category as Megagross.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People looking at mons getting new forms solely as like 'buffs' or whatever is dumb as hell.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I would like Houndoom to evolve into his Mega evolution and become Houndevil. It’s the only Mega form I really like. The rest are just okay to terrible.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Good megas that should just be regular evos;

Beedrill
Mawile
Sableye
Alteria
Lopunny
Charizard- Y
Ampharos
Abomasnow
Pidgeot
Steelix

The rest are whatever and can be ditched