Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I like Colossus I just don’t know what the gently caress they’re doing with the Mikhail poo poo. Is there supposed to be some time gap between X-Force and Inferno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig reading this thread, even though I haven't read a single issue of this era, and I'm still in the middle of the Claremont run. I've got the HoX/PoX trade on the shelf, to be read sometime. It is kooky that that Hickman part of things is ending before I even crack it open, but that's the backlog life.

Also, feels like half the tie-ins and whatnot I'd have no idea what I can skip or what to include if not keeping up. So the takes in here are both educational as well as inspirational, yes indeed. I have a stack of Saga trades, gotta get going on that too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I like Colossus I just don’t know what the gently caress they’re doing with the Mikhail poo poo. Is there supposed to be some time gap between X-Force and Inferno?

there isn't a time gap at all. when xavier showed up in x-force it seemed like the jig was up and colossus had been caught in the act. but xavier doesn't actually suspect a thing and was there to invite colossus to the council.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember learning colossus' first costume had blue stark tech legs that became transparent when he transformed, because someone thought it was too weird to have his bare legs exposed in human form.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
poo poo, do I actually have to go back and read X-Force for important Inferno-relevant plot points? It really wasn't doing anything for me so I stopped reading it after the events of the Gala.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there isn't a time gap at all. when xavier showed up in x-force it seemed like the jig was up and colossus had been caught in the act. but xavier doesn't actually suspect a thing and was there to invite colossus to the council.

Alright here’s a thing then: how did Mr. “I’m constantly backing up everyone’s quintessence in case they die” miss the fact that Colossus just did a murder he didn’t even want to do

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heavy Metal posted:

I dig reading this thread, even though I haven't read a single issue of this era, and I'm still in the middle of the Claremont run. I've got the HoX/PoX trade on the shelf, to be read sometime. It is kooky that that Hickman part of things is ending before I even crack it open, but that's the backlog life.

Also, feels like half the tie-ins and whatnot I'd have no idea what I can skip or what to include if not keeping up. So the takes in here are both educational as well as inspirational, yes indeed. I have a stack of Saga trades, gotta get going on that too.

The event tie ins of this run have been mostly good and seem like they have stuff that might be important later.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sandwolf posted:

Alright here’s a thing then: how did Mr. “I’m constantly backing up everyone’s quintessence in case they die” miss the fact that Colossus just did a murder he didn’t even want to do

Xavier isn't, like, reviewing every mind copy that Cerebro makes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

because it is a novel form of mind control that bypasses telepathy somehow. otherwise the telepathic scan beast subjected colossus to early in x-force would have caught it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Glad we wasted one of Hickman’s remaining issues on this vote.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

^burtle posted:

Glad we wasted one of Hickman’s remaining issues on this vote.

do... do you think Hickman turned in an action-filled script and they told him they wanted a vote issue instead?

Like... this is what Hickman wanted to write, he's always had some... interesting views on pacing

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

His original vision was for this issue to be all prose. Editorial actually spiced it up if anything.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, this was just an issue all about political maneuvering and showing how Destiny was brought back. It wasn't as packed as the first one, but he's clearly getting all the pieces in place and we know it'll be soon where everything comes to a head.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hickman word dumping is his action. Like the insane page of doom vs reed where it’s just to portraits cross checked while they yell at each other. political fuckery is his bread and butter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
personally I'm glad we got a lot of "this is really destiny" brought back because I didn't want the end of inferno 1 to be a fake out, and also people who react angry make mistakes, which means the Colossus appointment is gonna gently caress moira over

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
With us being halfway through Inferno, I'm starting to wonder what resolution we will get from this.

Because Krakoa isn't going anywhere, the Quiet Council changes are probably going to last a bit beyond Inferno (Colossus especially), Orchis isn't going to be wiped out without any build up.

I originally thought that Hickman was going to use this series to wrap up Moira's storyline, but we've seen so terribly little of her in this that if that were the case it would be terrible disappointing.

I still really like this so far, all the intrigue that's going on works really well for me....but on the other hand most of what has happened so really should have happened in Hickman's X-Men run. Because of all the filler I feel it's easily the worst of his Marvel runs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think Xavier’s going to lose control and Moira being exposed/revealed to everyone else could shake the foundation of Krakoa (oh hey this cool island paradise idea is just the 10th attempt at this one mutant trying to not gently caress up and we’re already up to the Nimrod part) but I think ultimately most of the mutants will go “well poo poo this is still as good as we’ve had it and we still have resurrection AND our own loving planet so let’s play it out”

I can also see Apocalypse returning and the X-men (Scott/Jean) taking a more active approach to participating in Krakoa affairs while maintaining their hero team. Magneto can probably get a bye but Xavier and Moira are at the heart of this and playing everyone else since day 1 so if anyone is going to lose it’s them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
What I understood as happening was that Hickman was going to find a way to put his stuff on pause to let people keep playing in the Krakoa sandbox for a few years and then he was going to come back and finish it at some vague future point but maybe I misunderstood.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He's said that he's handed over all his notes to the other X-Men writers and it'll be up to them. I don't think we'll see any change to this for a while, since the X-Men books are all more popular than they have been in a while. And better quality all around.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Rick posted:

What I understood as happening was that Hickman was going to find a way to put his stuff on pause to let people keep playing in the Krakoa sandbox for a few years and then he was going to come back and finish it at some vague future point but maybe I misunderstood.

It's been very confusing and probably intentionally vague what exactly any of it means, but the points they keep referring back to are like. The initial plan had changed and much of what had already happened wasn't planned and many things were falsely attributed to him, Inferno is still at least partially the story he wanted to tell, and the team have all of the information for what he intended and are free to incorporate it and he'll still be in touch in an advisory capacity.

The next year or so is also planned out in a fair amount of detail by the team, and he mostly just seemed happy to have built something. In one of those recent podcast interviews he was really harping on his lesson learned being like, "well actually you don't have to blow it all up."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is just me theorizing, no actual proof or anything, but I think the COVID pause in publishing had a lot of the other X writers thinking, "well what if we did this?" and they're all talking to each other. So plans changed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the official line from hickman is that he built the sand castle and had plans for how to kick it over. however, everyone loved the sand castle so its inevitable destruction has been delayed indefinitely. sooner or later some boring rear end in a top hat is going to send the x-men back to westchester, but for now krakoa isn't going anywhere.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I hope Krakoa lasts long enough that we get to see what Emplate is up to.

As that weirdo's (probably only) fan, I'm still curious how he's getting on.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There was a note about how he and Selene were both kind of monitoring Krakoa since they all kind of eat mutants to survive.

I just assume that they're getting fed soulless and brainless mutant husks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It'd be a good opportunity to give him a (temporary) face turn.

He's not significantly more harmful to other mutants than Rogue and his backstory is equally tragic. Rogue put her teenage boyfriend in a permanent coma when her powers manifested, while as a child Marius was forced to live with Monet.

Kidding aside, Gen-X had a thing about fighting Vampires (I think they fought at least 4 distinct vampires, including Dracula and I'm counting D'Spayre), and Marius was basically Morbius from the 1990s Spider Man cartoon (which would have been contemporary at the time).

When Marius's mutant vampirism manifested he lost control, fed on his mother and killed her, which means there's a strong possibility she was a mutant. Pretty much everything else Marius did after that was borne out of self-loathing and guilt. He's not a psychopath, he's an extremely emotional forced predator who has to eat people to live and goes out of his way to find targets that can either survive him or who are capable of fighting him off.

If his mother had a Cerebro backup (and she probably should, Marius and Monet aren't that old and Marius's powers manifested pretty late) and they found a way to either feed him reliably or fix the (I'm pretty sure this is canon?) damage to his mutant genome that forces him to feed (say, by killing and resurrecting him?) someone could get a lot of mileage out of walking back his sociopathy and letting him make some friends. Which could then be used to spur further events / give him another heel turn later.

Emplate and all of his hangups and shattering all the little lies he's forced to tell himself to convince himself he doesn't feel guilty for anything he's done (he totally does) is a thousand times more interesting than Monet, But In a Business Suit This Time.

Make Emplate a member of the X-Men (or one of their morally-gray sub-teams) and let him work with his nephew, Bishop. :haw:

Edit: Because Bishop hates him and that's always a fun dynamic!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 1, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
emplate's power went out of control which sent him to the negaverse and then he spent years feeding off of penance. the combination of those things is how he ended up a spikey tube monster. it's possible that if he voluntarily underwent resurrection he could escape most of the horrible aspects of his existence.

also, he didn't just live with monet. he also lived with the twins, who could combine to form a second monet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I was reading most of the line up to the end of XoS but thanks to the last lockdown I fell behind on my X-reading. Went to the store recently and picked up a giant stack of issues that had been accumulating from my pull list.

I could use some help catching up. Not so much in terms of plot etc, but some idea of what new books are worth reading (anything post XoS except for SWORD, which I have), what events to look out for, that kind of thing.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Don’t miss Planet Size X-Men

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was reading most of the line up to the end of XoS but thanks to the last lockdown I fell behind on my X-reading. Went to the store recently and picked up a giant stack of issues that had been accumulating from my pull list.

I could use some help catching up. Not so much in terms of plot etc, but some idea of what new books are worth reading (anything post XoS except for SWORD, which I have), what events to look out for, that kind of thing.

Skip Children of the Atom.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Cloks posted:

Skip Children of the Atom.

And X-Corp

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-Corp is pretty skippable, but I do suggest reading all the Hellfire Gala books just because. The Empyre: X-Men mini was fun. That was after XoS, right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

X-Corp is pretty skippable, but I do suggest reading all the Hellfire Gala books just because. The Empyre: X-Men mini was fun. That was after XoS, right?

Just before. I read the tie-ins issues in the main X-Men title (hated the Vulcan one, loved the Magneto one) but didn't read the mini.

Hellfire Gala was something I heard about, I think there's a collection coming out very soon?

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 3, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

December 7th unfortunately, but it all should be on Marvel Unlimited.

Started reading X-Force/X-Statix the last couple days, and drat is it good. Great binge book.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How is/was Way of X?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How is/was Way of X?

It's decent.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Vulcan thing. You would think that would be a bigger deal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It's decent.

The first two issues set up a lot of big things that it was hard to pay off, then its last issue got cut off and sold as a standalone event issue?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Gologle posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Vulcan thing. You would think that would be a bigger deal.

No one but Vulcan knows about it yet. Hoping it's a good arc when that ticking time bomb goes off.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How is/was Way of X?

Pretty good. It’s a Nightcrawler and Legion book, so it had a lot going for it right out of the gate. Not everything lands, but it’s definitely still worth a read, especially if you’re invested in the Krakoa era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How is/was Way of X?

Good series overall, but the third issue got some justified criticism. I feel like it found it's footing again soon after though. Should be a sequel series coming in the near future.