Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Fremen - Why does this 'rain' smell like the Water Of Life?

Sardarkaur troops - Why does this rain smell like bleach?

Mua'dib - :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

the Fremen also gently caress without rhythm

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How exactly do the Fremen bribe the Guild with spice? They don’t have the fancy shmancy carryalls and giant mobile mining rigs. They can’t possibly just be grabbing handfuls of sand and waving them in front of navigators can they?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

heeeeere Navi Navi Navi

that's right, who wants their melange, who wants to go fold space, yeah you're such a good Navi and you keep all those satellites waaay away now

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

galagazombie posted:

How exactly do the Fremen bribe the Guild with spice? They don’t have the fancy shmancy carryalls and giant mobile mining rigs. They can’t possibly just be grabbing handfuls of sand and waving them in front of navigators can they?

Vacuum cleaners.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They just stand there on a street corner while the navigator pulls up in his heighliner and awkwardly stammers, "You're not a sardaukar, right? Because the law says you totally have to tell me if you are"

Fremen: "Nah we're cool you want to party or not?"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Fremen can destroy it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

euphronius posted:

Fremen can destroy it

That's what Paul threatens, the Fremen collected spice and sold it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

why didn't jessica use her magic pussy to pop out a girl too to be married to harkonnens?

she had years to do it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's what Paul threatens, the Fremen collected spice and sold it.

The obvious inference is that was their implied leverage with the guild

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why else would the guild (and I think Choam) go along with the charade

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The guild just wants to laze about in enormous tanks of spice, they don't care too much about where it comes from. The Dune setting is 'what if to make planes fly you had to strap a heroin addict into the cockpit and juice them up?'

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DV’s obsession with people seeing this theaters was strange . It was fine on a tv. I guess he gets less money with less box office idk

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Paul threatens the spice to get the guild to sit up and listen, the fremen used to just pay them off. With (I think it's only implied) way more spice than official predictions consider possible due to their free reign of literally half the loving planet. They do have harvesters and processing facilities, so do the smugglers, it's not like it's forbidden technology.

The Guild is a parasite, latter books even come right out and say it explicitly. They don't care where their fix is coming from, and specially don't really give a poo poo to petty house bullshit unless it interferes with their supply. They connive and scheme and all that good plans within plans stuff but never take the reigns themselves, which is ultimately what fucks them over.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

euphronius posted:

The obvious inference is that was their implied leverage with the guild

No it isn't, the guild clearly hadn't considered it before Paul threatened it.

quote:

"The Guild doesn't take your orders!" the taller of the two barked. He and his companion pushed through to the barrier lances, which were raised at a nod from Paul. The two men stepped out and the taller leveled an arm at Paul, said: "You may very well be under embargo for your --"
"If I hear any more nonsense from either of you," Paul said, "I'll give the order that'll destroy all spice production on Arrakis . . . forever."
"Are you mad?" the tall Guildsman demanded. He fell back half a step.
"You grant that I have the power to do this thing, then?" Paul asked.
The Guildsman seemed to stare into space for a moment, then: "Yes, you could do it, but you must not."

euphronius posted:

Why else would the guild (and I think Choam) go along with the charade

Explicitly because the Fremen bribe them with lots of spice!

quote:

"We know our needs. But not many are thinking deep thoughts now this close to home. We've been out overlong arranging to deliver our spice quota to the free traders for the cursed Guild . . . may their faces be forever black."
Jessica stopped in the act of turning away from him, looked back up into his face. "The Guild? What has the Guild to do with your spice?"
"It's Liet's command," Stilgar said. "We know the reason, but the taste of it sours us. We bribe the Guild with a monstrous payment in spice to keep our skies clear of satellites and such that none may spy what we do to the face of Arrakis."

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

euphronius posted:

DV’s obsession with people seeing this theaters was strange . It was fine on a tv. I guess he gets less money with less box office idk

It was fine on a TV, with surround sound.

It was exquisite on IMAX, even if I was rendered deaf due to the bone-shattering volume.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That quote doesn’t support your idea that “they never considered it”

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

euphronius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

except it also applies to TV's at home

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

euphronius posted:

That quote doesn’t support your idea that “they never considered it”

The staring into space was them looking into the future to see if it was possible.

quote:

"They have a narrow vision of time," Paul said. "They can see ahead to a blank wall marking the consequences of disobedience. Every Guild navigator on every ship over us can look ahead to that same wall. They'll obey."

Also again the text specifically says that the guild are bribed with spice by the Fremen.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So in the book the revelation that the Guild is getting enormous amounts of spice secretly from the Fremen is a clue that they use the spice to do their thing.

e: I actually like the Lynch interpretation of the story where the Guild realise that Paul is a blank wall in the future at a much earlier point (although they don't understand why until it's much too late).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

euphronius posted:

Legendary Pictures, the company that made the movie, doesn't make as much money if people watch it on HBO Max - all of that goes to Warner Bros. as they're the owner of HBO Max in addition to being the distributor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Legendary Pictures, the company that made the movie, doesn't make as much money if people watch it on HBO Max - all of that goes to Warner Bros. as they're the owner of HBO Max in addition to being the distributor.

Yeah that’s what I’m saying

And Warner (ATT) just used it to boost hbo maxs profile in a “synergy” thing

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I am sure that watching at home is a fine experience.

Insisting that watching it at home is not much different than at IMAX is incredibly embarrassing and stupid.

You are simply trying to convince yourself that you aren't missing out.

You are, but that's fine.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I loved it at home because I could pause it to go pee and drink lots of alcohol. The experience in the theatre (Dolby Digital) was super great and fantastic but it was too dark in a few scenes and the dialogue was much more difficult to understand weirdly.

Bring back intermissions in theatres!!!!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I have seen it twice at IMAX Laser showings in Tokyo, and there were no problems with darkness or the sound. In fact the incredible sound was the main point for me.

I am beginning to suspect that there is something wrong with American theaters, which would not surprise me.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Koirhor posted:

Love that the Baron is the super literal doctor from Arrested Development

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gabriel Grub posted:

I have seen it twice at IMAX Laser showings in Tokyo, and there were no problems with darkness or the sound. In fact the incredible sound was the main point for me.

I am beginning to suspect that there is something wrong with American theaters, which would not surprise me.

Could be all of the diabetes in America affecting eyesight as well

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Why is spice so valuable? It's jsut the navigators who need it, right? How much do they need to actually travel? Or is it used by and for non navigating stuff as well

Saw Dune again last night, this time in a theatre. The first time was just at home on my laptop. It is conservatively 5x better with the bass rumbling , ear splitting soundtrack and sound effects. Lots of really good noises in the this movie

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It lets you live for a long time

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It doubles your lifespan, makes you feel good, tastes really nice, makes certain people trip the gently caress out (guild navigators, Bene Gesserit), and is highly addictive.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MNIMWA posted:

Why is spice so valuable? It's jsut the navigators who need it, right? How much do they need to actually travel? Or is it used by and for non navigating stuff as well

Saw Dune again last night, this time in a theatre. The first time was just at home on my laptop. It is conservatively 5x better with the bass rumbling , ear splitting soundtrack and sound effects. Lots of really good noises in the this movie

Navigators spend their time saturated in the stuff. this isn't stated outright but i think the implication is that the navigators' visors were misted over with orange because their helmets were filled with spice gas.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's good poo poo, man.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MNIMWA posted:

the Bene Gesserit also use it, it is the source of some of the abilities and is used in some of their rituals

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Do the Bene Gesserit use the Water of Life? Jessica seemed familiar with it during the Reverend Mother transformation, but it seems weird that the BG are smuggling baby worms off-planet to drown them and get real high off their death-juice. Is there a way to manually distill spice?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They drink it to become reverend mother and get the memories of their female ancestors

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vampire Panties posted:

Do the Bene Gesserit use the Water of Life? Jessica seemed familiar with it during the Reverend Mother transformation, but it seems weird that the BG are smuggling baby worms off-planet to drown them and get real high off their death-juice. Is there a way to manually distill spice?

In Dune they very explicitly don’t use the water of life, they have some other poison (or variety of them) called “the truthsayer drug”. But by the time of Messiah this has changed and without spice the BGs will apparently lose their truth sense.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"Spice liquor" seems to refer to refined melange. It's what the Navigators talk about, and what the BG use. I think the implication in Dune is that they used non-spice drugs in the past, but truth-sayer drug is mostly spice these days.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
so did they mention in the movie spice is addictive and withdrawl kills you?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Spice liquor is a drink, probably with more alcohol than spice beer.

I can't remember in which book it's mentioned, but there's at least one paragraph talking about how there are other soothsaying drugs, but that once Water of Life has been used, nothing else works.

The navigators use of melange isn't really discussed in length, just that they use great quantities of it and breathe it.
I've always assumed it went through some kind of refining process to make it possible to breathe as a gas, and that it's that process that requires so much melange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

quote:

“Guild navigators, both of you, eh?”
“Yes!”
The shorter of the pair said: “You would blind yourself, too, and condemn us all to slow death. Have you any idea what it means to be deprived of the spice liquor once you’re addicted?”

quote:

“Even your Bene Gesserit Truthsayer is trembling,” Paul said. “There are other poisons the Reverend Mothers can use for their tricks, but once they’ve used the spice liquor, the others no longer work.”

Having an ebook on hand is useful for discussing minutiae. Also I reread Dune last week.