Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I was kind of baffled by the sudden influx of people coming out and saying Pika is a problem and needs to be nerfed, because the only one really doing anything with him in a professional capacity is Esam. He's a pretty hard character to play in general, even more so optimally, with a recovery that's pretty tricky to do, especially online.

People yell about Pika because ESAM yells about Pika, it is a truly miserable feedback loop. The character comes free with every copy of the game, you don't even need to unlock them the power is always at your fingertips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Brawlhalla averages like 14k players daily which seems wild to to me for any game, let alone a fighting game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FZeroRacer posted:

there's a deep irony in your post OP given that there are characters added from games that don't even formally exist in the west (Lucas), characters that only old people are going to remember (ROB, Duck Hunt) and characters whose last actual appearance was almost 20 years ago and is more well known thanks to smash and the memes around it (Falcon).

oh and beloved well known nintendo character Piranha Plant.

They did say relevant at the time they were added. Which explains Falcon in 64, and then they just didn't axe most of their roster going forward. How that works out for Banjo, ROB, K. Rool, Lucas, or Duck Hunt, I don't know either though.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

FZeroRacer posted:

there's a deep irony in your post OP given that there are characters added from games that don't even formally exist in the west (Lucas), characters that only old people are going to remember (ROB, Duck Hunt) and characters whose last actual appearance was almost 20 years ago and is more well known thanks to smash and the memes around it (Falcon).

oh and beloved well known nintendo character Piranha Plant.

I'd probably argue that most people know about Nigel Thornberry through memes as well since people kept photoshopping his face onto every character at one point.

As for Piranha Plant, it hits that sweet spot where most people know what a Piranha Plant is but didn't think of it as a character in the same way that Mario, Peach or Bowser are characters.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
For how fun, unique, and innovative it is Rivals of Aether deserves way more of your time.

So does Nick game, but Rivals doubly so.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Smoke on the street is that smash fans are getting into Fighting Vipers and Asuka 120%

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hear that smash fans are just going to mod everyone into other games. Steve and Sonic are already in DBFZ now

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RareAcumen posted:

Steve and Sonic are already in DBFZ now

Excuse me

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Imagining the Smash characters in a fast 2D fighting game like DBFZ or MvC3 is a fun thought experiment. Like translating what attacks in Smash would work in the new environment and how they'd function. It's fun thinking up what their level 1s and level 3s would be - like, Wario's level 3 could be a Wario Man install and his Waft attack would be like DBFZ's Hit's 'shotgun' attack that uses every available bar to do more damage. Popo would fight by himself but Nana would be an assist, like what 18 can do with 17.

It's fun to imaginate

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mvc3 style smash bros characters could be cool as hell. sadly that will never come to be

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Maple Leaf posted:

Imagining the Smash characters in a fast 2D fighting game like DBFZ or MvC3 is a fun thought experiment. Like translating what attacks in Smash would work in the new environment and how they'd function. It's fun thinking up what their level 1s and level 3s would be - like, Wario's level 3 could be a Wario Man install and his Waft attack would be like DBFZ's Hit's 'shotgun' attack that uses every available bar to do more damage. Popo would fight by himself but Nana would be an assist, like what 18 can do with 17.

It's fun to imaginate

Yeah. I'd like to see the next iteration of Smash be more of a traditional fighter with long combos and poo poo like Street Fighter. Knock the roster back severely to somewhere between Melee and Brawl. I think it could work.

Characters that should get axed (I'm going through the numbered order): Most echoes should just be recolors (ex: Dark Samus, Dark Pit, Dr Mario); Ice Climbers (I know their schtick can make them annoying to include); Sheik/Zelda should be recombined; cut Ylink and Tlink (make Link more traditional); Lucas and Ness should be combined and made alts of one another

I think most of the Pokémon should be cut aside from Pikachu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff and trainer. However, I do think if Greninja, Incineroar, and Pichu go they should be replaced with the Pokémon du jour. Arguably trainer should switch its trio to the new trio.

I think the Fire Emblem characters should be cut too except for Marth. They should then include the latest cast member(s). I'll miss seeing Roy and Ike but you can make them recolors maybe or not.

I would probably cut Falco and Wolf, at most keeping just one. Wii Fit Trainer would get cut and maybe Rob (arbitrary call on their peripherals lacking relevance); I would cut Rosalina, who is becoming a Mario mainstay but was really only in two games, otherwise make her a recolor; Isabelle would be a variant; if there's a new Xenoblade then switch out Shulk and Pyra/Mythra for them otherwise keep I guess.

The only 3rd Parties to fight for: Keep Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-man, Ryu, and Terry. The others seem like they'd be too difficult to get in-game again, read Square. Maybe not. I do think the first 4 I wrote are particularly iconic to keep around.

I've more or less halved it but 41 is still a lot of characters. I feel like 30 is a good amount for no real reason. 12-24 is probably the ideal.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

b_d posted:

mvc3 style smash bros characters could be cool as hell. sadly that will never come to be

This is my dream game. I loved 3 specifically. It was one of the only fighting games I was decent at online. And I would love to have another game like it. Even if it's just a few characters that play that way in Smash or something. I'd buy them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Other types of fighting games already exist

Let smash be smash imo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The difference between Smash and Nick is that there have been great Mario and Link games for every generation since the inception of Mario and Link in the 80s so people of all ages get interested and play it and develop their skills.
People who can recognize Oblina and Reptar will smile and maybe watch a video or play the game on a lark for a weekend but then move on because they are 35 and have to try to make ends meet at work and GODDAMMIT ANOTHER LAST SECOND STAFF MEETING

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Other types of fighting games already exist

Let smash be smash imo

ultimate is here what else do you want.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ultimate is the perfect Smash game, no further Smash sequels are required.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Reiley posted:

Some stuff in solo player mode and maybe better sliders for items and yeah. It’s pretty excellent.

To have been a kid for this one would’ve been amazing. The time I sunk in 64 and melee would’ve been amazing here.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I used to reenact the Dragon Ball Z episode of the day in Smash 64 and I would’ve gone nuts for Ultimate. Kids have it good these days

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Reiley posted:

would be more perfect with rollback, less input lag, and a real hazards toggle

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd like to see the next iteration of Smash be more of a traditional fighter with long combos and poo poo like Street Fighter.

:barf:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Don’t get me wrong I would be awful at it. But like how do you make this better really? It needs to go the MK8 Deluxe route.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Don’t get me wrong I would be awful at it. But like how do you make this better really? It needs to go the MK8 Deluxe route.

I remember some Nintendo folks saying in an interview shortly after Brawl had been announced (it might have been Iwata?) that if Sakurai hadn't wanted to work on Brawl, they were just going to port Melee to the Wii, add a few characters, add online play, and otherwise not mess with it too much.

At the time, doing Brawl was the better move, and the obvious one with Sakurai onboard.

But for the next Smash Bros, I'd kind of prefer if they just did a Smash Ultimate DX on the next console- add a few new characters and stages, do another round or two of DLC, add spirits and costumes for anything that hit post-Ultimate (like Metroid Dread's Samus and the BotW 2 Link design), and just build up from what we've got.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Turning Smash 6 into a traditional fighting isn’t the move. Now if Capcom’s fighting game division can get their poo poo together and wanted to make Nintendo vs. Capcom...

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
With regards to Nick, how many platform fighters do you actually need? I feel like I’d probably have a decent time with it but if I wanna crossover platform fight I’ll just play smash.

Speaking of which, I played thru the first fighter pass but barely played the second one at all. Anyone wanna give me some good sephiroth tips? He’s the one I’m most interested in learning. For reference I have hero, Ridley, and byleth in elite smash.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sea Lily posted:

I remember some Nintendo folks saying in an interview shortly after Brawl had been announced (it might have been Iwata?) that if Sakurai hadn't wanted to work on Brawl, they were just going to port Melee to the Wii, add a few characters, add online play, and otherwise not mess with it too much.

At the time, doing Brawl was the better move, and the obvious one with Sakurai onboard.

But for the next Smash Bros, I'd kind of prefer if they just did a Smash Ultimate DX on the next console- add a few new characters and stages, do another round or two of DLC, add spirits and costumes for anything that hit post-Ultimate (like Metroid Dread's Samus and the BotW 2 Link design), and just build up from what we've got.

Ultimate is entirely too huge for an iterative sequel though. There's 82 characters across like 6 different copyright holders. By all accounts getting everyone for this game was a huge undertaking, I can't imagine them doing this again plus adding even more characters.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i do have faith that if sakurai wanted to make a 2d fighter he would make one hell of a game, but it would need to be a side game, not smash 6

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ultrachrist posted:

Speaking of which, I played thru the first fighter pass but barely played the second one at all. Anyone wanna give me some good sephiroth tips? He’s the one I’m most interested in learning. For reference I have hero, Ridley, and byleth in elite smash.

Here are few things I can remember off the top of my head:

An important skill to learn for Sephiroth is getting good at hitting standing opponents with forward/back-air. Those are some pretty strong, safe moves, but the timing can be difficult. Also, you can usually combo into those moves out of a neutral air.

Charged up-b (Octo-Slash) is extremely strong but very laggy, but there are some safer ways of using it that can be important. If you double-jump and at the peak of your jump up-b straight down towards the ledge, you'll be perfectly spaced to hit somebody recovering and still grab the ledge. An easier alternative is to fall below the stage and up-b to recover and catch the opponent trying to recover. Do be aware that the opponent will only be knocked back left or right depending on which way Sephiroth is facing. Up-b will also catch ledge re-grabs.

For smash attacks, down-smash does a lot of shield damage and can potentially break shield (especially if you have the one wing active). One wing also gives Sephiroth armor on smash attacks. So, that can be helpful for surprising opponents.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Reiley posted:

*cries in input delay*

e: But Ultimate really is the perfect smash game.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Smash should end with Ultimate and just focus on releases with expanded content.

Sora LTD should instead take the Smash idea into other genres. Give me an isometric ARPG like Diablo with the Smash Cast.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Excuse me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4PkRbyvZ38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW6sNCpbCnk

I also saw that Marge Simpson, SpongeBob, Pepsiman, Sans, Shaggy and Optimus Prime are in the game too.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Macaluso posted:

Excuse me

Lythero did a vid on the latest patches that added them in. He says they are major improvements.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Strange Matter posted:

Smash should end with Ultimate and just focus on releases with expanded content.

Sora LTD should instead take the Smash idea into other genres. Give me an isometric ARPG like Diablo with the Smash Cast.

Put in a stage from Gauntlet and dump the whole legends and/or dark legacy OST in it like with Terry's character pack. IMO.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Smash 6 can be a reboot that pares down the roster and redesigns the remaining legacy fighters from the ground up. It could very well be directed by someone else. Its quality is not certain. But I don't doubt it will exist.

What I hope is that spirit rematch mode gets support for bosses before the last patch.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Smash 6 will be the Marvel VS Capcom Infinity of Smash, with fun features such as:

- A weird art style where everyone looks realistic
- Characters cut based on who is or isn't profitable
- Characters removed regardless of backlash because people like "functions" of movesets and not the characters
- Limited trailers because flagship characters cannot be shown in distress
- Redone voicework that sounds even more phoned in
- Overt removals of mechanics replaced with fewer and simpler mechanics
- A collector's edition worth an extra $150 for plastic balls

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I can't wait for Smash 6 starring Mario (voiced by Chris Pratt).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Change the thread title back to something Smash, the Nickelodeon game is sort of dead in cultural osmosis now.

Lets wait for the warner brothers game to get announced and we'll change it to that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what MVC:I did to ghost rider’s level 3 is the funniest thing ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73sj8XFHBvI

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah. I'd like to see the next iteration of Smash be more of a traditional fighter with long combos and poo poo like Street Fighter.

this would be cool but it would be IP poison to name it "smash." they'd probably have to make it a different series completely, because the two genres (traditional fighting games vs smash) aren't as similar as they seem.

Also worth noting that they did make a Pokemon fighting game that wasn't supposed to be terrible, and approximately 5 people played it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

this would be cool but it would be IP poison to name it "smash." they'd probably have to make it a different series completely, because the two genres (traditional fighting games vs smash) aren't as similar as they seem.

Also worth noting that they did make a Pokemon fighting game that wasn't supposed to be terrible, and approximately 5 people played it

Didn't Pokken not have proper local multiplayer? That seems like it'd be enough to kill it in itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pokken's switch port sold over 1 million copies, which is more than most fightin games lifetime