Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ballz posted:

Definitely feels demo-y. Needs that full-band kick halfway through like in Meeting People is Easy.

Yeah it's a nice song but that would really have elevated it. Without it it starts to feel a bit monotonous around the midway point.

Is that the last entirely 'new' song? I can't see anything else on the track list that could be.

stev fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Here’s the fan creation I spoke about

https://youtu.be/jlnvbarG4g4

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

:sigh:

(why the gently caress is an order from Europe going all the way to an LA port? we got a full-rear end east coast over here, y'know.)

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
because its probably manufactured in asia

anyone else feel the band has broken up? i know they listed 'the estate' for sale a year or two back, though i can't find the listing or any evidence now

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
If they have, I'm not going to accept that as truth until they openly announce it.

Gonna be massively bummed if true, I never did get a chance to see them live.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Otis Reddit posted:

because its probably manufactured in asia

anyone else feel the band has broken up? i know they listed 'the estate' for sale a year or two back, though i can't find the listing or any evidence now

nah, I think Covid might have pushed things back a year or two with Ed and Thom unable to do their planned tours, but I feel like they'll keep going for another decade+. releases will keep getting more sporadic and tours will be shorter (maybe all festivals for an album cycle or something).

Even though it's been 5 years since AMSP the touring didn't end until 2018 and a couple planned years off is nothing new for these guys.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Thom didn’t go on tour for Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes until Anima was almost out, I think a combination of horrible personal stuff plus Covid plus them being rich enough to not have to record when they don’t want to just has everything mega backed up. Radiohead may become a band that only releases a new album every decade but I prefer that in their old age compared to forcing themselves to keep putting something out every other year and all of it being impossibly boring

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pirate Jet posted:

Thom didn’t go on tour for Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes until Anima was almost out, I think a combination of horrible personal stuff plus Covid plus them being rich enough to not have to record when they don’t want to just has everything mega backed up. Radiohead may become a band that only releases a new album every decade but I prefer that in their old age compared to forcing themselves to keep putting something out every other year and all of it being impossibly boring

Absolutely. I trust the boys to get together when/if they feel like it's artistically worthwhile, and if that turns out, down the road, to in hindsight be "never", then that's fine.

I don't get the impression any of them feel any particular need to definitively wrap the band up. They seem smart enough to realise that they don't know what'll happen in the future

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think they'd ever formally break up unless somebody dies (even then, who knows). They've always gone their own way after every album cycle until something draws them back together. They're as much a collective as a band and they all support each other. W.A.S.T.E. doesn't even distinguish between Radiohead news/releases and solo/offshoot stuff, it's all just part of the same larger thing.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

they could also literally be in the studio right now, who knows. they've kept the recording process pretty close to the vest since KOL.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's only been five years since AMSP - which is the same amount of time between that and TKOL. Factor in covid and a million solo/side projects I'm not surprised we haven't had anything lately.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

AMSP is a pretty good album to end on, in regards of all that was said about it earlier. Very “Post”. They can continue to kick back and work on these 20 year rereleases.

I hope they rerelease HTTT and go wild with it. Bring in Stanley to remaster and reproduce it, and revise the track list.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 3, 2021

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
AMSP didn’t really connect with me, I wouldn’t be that sad if they were done with new releases but it would be cool to see them live one more time.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think Radiohead have at least one more in them, but I don’t think we’ll see anything until 2025-6. They all seem really content doing their own thing at the moment.

Looking forward to the “Radiohead release first new album in 10 years and it is good” thread.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I hope AMSP isn't their last album because I didn't much care for it :smith:

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/73063309#/?channel=RES_BUY

Seems over. Hope I'm wrong. I might be wrong.

Otis Reddit fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 3, 2021

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Am I supposed to know what this real estate listing is?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think any of their albums were primarily recorded in that studio. They've always moved around to different places, and I'm pretty sure Nigel has his own studio. My guess is they just didn't need that place anymore, especially if not everyone lives close by anymore. Ed said that he's sure there'll be another Radiohead album and that they were planning to tour in 2021 before COVID hit.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Didn't really feel like I liked Follow Me Around when it dropped but it won't leave my brain.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
would you say it's following you around

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Framboise posted:

would you say it's following you around

drat I can't believe I walked right past that one.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hallo spacedog posted:

drat I can't believe I walked right past that one.

I mean how can you when it's following you around

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

stev posted:

Is that the last entirely 'new' song? I can't see anything else on the track list that could be.

I suppose there's Untitled v1 2 and 3, if they aren't just Treefingers-static.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Some very cool moments, but a few more of them are just stubs/demos than I would have liked; Pyramid Strings etc didn't strike me as 1min or so tracks. If You Say The Word was certainly the new standout content.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Pararoid posted:

Both the new tracks would have felt more at home on the OKC rerelease, not that I'm complaining at all.

Yeah, they definitely sound part of that era and stick out like sore thumbs alongside KA/A tracks. I was really hoping that there would be all sorts of unusual and interesting tracks that had been left on the cutting room floor since they seemed to produce so much content during that period of creativity, but it seems the prior reissues of the albums covered that with the bonus tracks included in those releases. It's a shame since there must be some gems hidden somewhere that won't see the light of day and while perhaps not finished songs I have no doubts they would be interesting and entertaining to listen to.

Pirate Jet posted:

I enjoyed the period around TKOL a lot. The album was short but it seemed like they had a lot of extra material that they just released whenever. We got These are my Twisted Words before the album dropped and afterwards we got The Butcher & Supercollider followed by that great combo of Daily Mail & Staircase. It seemed like they were having fun just putting out songs however/whenever they wanted at the time which was exciting.

Volte posted:

I don't think any of their albums were primarily recorded in that studio. They've always moved around to different places, and I'm pretty sure Nigel has his own studio. My guess is they just didn't need that place anymore, especially if not everyone lives close by anymore. Ed said that he's sure there'll be another Radiohead album and that they were planning to tour in 2021 before COVID hit.

I think that studio is where they did Kid A & Amnesiac, with Stanley working upstairs while the band did their thing downstairs. If my memory of some studio pictures for In Rainbows are correct, that might have been recorded there as well? They've done work all over the place however and AMSP (much like OKC, I think?) was recorded in France, with some strings then being recorded in the UK. I forget when and for what album now, but I remember being surprised at them using some random celebrity's house in LA to record some stuff as well.

I wouldn't look too much into that house being sold, especially after AMSP and now Covid and the current political landscape I suspect the band would be dying to get out the UK and do any future recording abroad, and Stanley will always join them like he did in France for AMSP. Not sure about Ed however, I think he lives (or lived for a while) in Brazil?

They do have some material for a new album however. Skirting on the Surface & Cut a Smile are great songs that didn't make it onto AMSP and I'm sure that there's others as well. Not sure Spooks will ever fit on a future album, though :v: Would be fascinated to see them try however, with some kind of bizarre rework that ends up with a chaotic climax akin to National Anthem/Transatlantic Drawl, at least before the latter shifts so drastically in style.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

They do have some material for a new album however. Skirting on the Surface & Cut a Smile are great songs that didn't make it onto AMSP and I'm sure that there's others as well. Not sure Spooks will ever fit on a future album, though :v: Would be fascinated to see them try however, with some kind of bizarre rework that ends up with a chaotic climax akin to National Anthem/Transatlantic Drawl, at least before the latter shifts so drastically in style.
Skirting was played by The Smile this year although Jonny said he's not actually sure it will end up being a Smile song. By Cut a Smile I assume you meant Cut a Hole. I'd love to hear that one make it onto an album. Spooks was already used by Jonny on the Inherent Vice soundtrack though.

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 4, 2021

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm not sure what that is supposed to be, but assuming it's a Radiohead/W.A.S.T.E. owned property, the band selling it doesn't really mean much to me. they're inactive for years at a time these days, having some massive estate property headquarters probably doesn't make a lot of sense financially. they probably just rent places when they decide to get together.

edit: part of TKOL was recorded at Drew Barrymore's house apparently https://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/mar/23/radiohead-drew-barrymore-king-of-limbs

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Volte posted:

Skirting was played by The Smile this year although Jonny said he's not actually sure it will end up being a Smile song. By Cut a Smile I assume you meant Cut a Hole. I'd love to hear that one make it onto an album. Spooks was already used by Jonny on the Inherent Vice soundtrack though.

Thanks for the correction, I kinda had The Smile in mind while writing that and couldn't put my finger on why but it's probably because of that version of Skirting that they played, yeah. My memory of that performance is so vague now and it seems to be impossible to find anywhere but I do recall being really disappointed with their reworking of a song and it must have been Skirting like you said. The final album could be good but watching the stream as it was played was a downer, it sounded nothing like the song and really disjointed, iirc? It seemed to have a heavy TKOL vibe? I really hope that they don't tamper with Cut a Hole on any future album because it's already perfect, just needs a studio quality recording.

I don't remember Spooks from Inherent Vice but went and gave it a listen on YouTube and that's a really good reworking of the song. If it was longer and didn't have the voiceover it would have fit really well on AMSP imo. I'll link it below for anyone who hasn't heard it (the original version was played during the In Rainbows tour, I think? It was a surf rock song with a lot of energy) but remove the talking and extend this into a 4-5 minute instrumental? Would have been ideal on AMSP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a2NebxdGs4

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Smile version of Skirting (Skating) on the Surface is in 11/8 time which is a bit weird to listen to at first but I got an audio rip of it and having listened to it a bunch of times, I do like it now that I can hear the rhythm properly.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, they definitely sound part of that era and stick out like sore thumbs alongside KA/A tracks. I was really hoping that there would be all sorts of unusual and interesting tracks that had been left on the cutting room floor since they seemed to produce so much content during that period of creativity, but it seems the prior reissues of the albums covered that with the bonus tracks included in those releases. It's a shame since there must be some gems hidden somewhere that won't see the light of day and while perhaps not finished songs I have no doubts they would be interesting and entertaining to listen to.

I enjoyed the period around TKOL a lot. The album was short but it seemed like they had a lot of extra material that they just released whenever. We got These are my Twisted Words before the album dropped and afterwards we got The Butcher & Supercollider followed by that great combo of Daily Mail & Staircase. It seemed like they were having fun just putting out songs however/whenever they wanted at the time which was exciting.

I think that studio is where they did Kid A & Amnesiac, with Stanley working upstairs while the band did their thing downstairs. If my memory of some studio pictures for In Rainbows are correct, that might have been recorded there as well? They've done work all over the place however and AMSP (much like OKC, I think?) was recorded in France, with some strings then being recorded in the UK. I forget when and for what album now, but I remember being surprised at them using some random celebrity's house in LA to record some stuff as well.

I wouldn't look too much into that house being sold, especially after AMSP and now Covid and the current political landscape I suspect the band would be dying to get out the UK and do any future recording abroad, and Stanley will always join them like he did in France for AMSP. Not sure about Ed however, I think he lives (or lived for a while) in Brazil?

It was drew Barrymore

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Kid A Mnesia just dropped here and the third disc Kid Amnesiae is pretty great despite my initial doubts when I saw the tracklist. Even though it is basically a lot of shorter snippets and a few full songs, it's sequenced and mixed as one continuous piece with no breaks between the tracks so it doesn't just feel like a grab bag of demos. It feels kind of like the soundtrack to an imaginary movie.

Also I always heard that Pulk/Pull was based on True Love Waits and I couldn't really picture how that would be but after hearing the version of True Love Waits on Kid Amnesiae, I'll never be able to unhear it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It feels like studio leftovers that they touched up a bit to flow together with a bit nice. I like it for what it is. Ending with just the string section from HTDC feels a little lazy though, lol.

It would've been better if they took Follow Me Around and If You Say the Word and put them alongside the Amnesiac B-Sides (why aren't they here?), and then do another disc that's just those studio sessions and leftovers that are sequenced and mixed nicely. Like a curated version of the OKC Minidiscs.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 5, 2021

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Volte posted:

Kid A Mnesia just dropped here and the third disc Kid Amnesiae is pretty great despite my initial doubts when I saw the tracklist. Even though it is basically a lot of shorter snippets and a few full songs, it's sequenced and mixed as one continuous piece with no breaks between the tracks so it doesn't just feel like a grab bag of demos. It feels kind of like the soundtrack to an imaginary movie.

Agreed - track list felt pretty threadbare but it's put together like a proper album. Going to be very nice to hear on vinyl as well. Very clear difference from the EMI bonus track editions put out years ago. They clearly took a lot of time getting sequencing and transitions right.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Definitely not as good of a reissue as OKNOTOK but we have a studio version of Like Spinning Plates on piano now and really what more can you ask for.

There has to be a ton of material from that era when they sealed themselves in the studio for like a year, but it was apparently so harrowing for them I get the feeling we won’t hear a lot of it unless another leak on the level of the OKC tapes happens again or when they’re all dead and it comes time to mine the catalogue for posthumous compilations.

Really the most disappointing thing for me is the physical editions, Kid A has what is IMO the greatest liner art of all time and the fact that this release is so threadbare compared to OKNOTOK on that front is a major letdown. I want to see everything Donwood worked on in that period. It really feels like they took all the individual parts that made up the amazing OKNOTOK box and sold them as separate components on the website.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 5, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah it looks like they winnowed off a lot of the artwork into that art book they're also selling

It's too rich for my blood to get both so I opted for the vinyl box (and also the little book cos it was only a tenner) and will probably just download a pdf of the big artbook. It's not the same as having it in hand but I'm not made of money, Thom Radiohead

EDIT on further look the art book is "only" £30...hmm...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My thoughts on the bonus material:

LSP: Interesting, and still clearly a work in progress. I still think the Amnesiac version is the definitive, as I don’t think the piano meshes well in the mix.

Untitled v1: This sounds like the band testing out sounds that eventually ended up being used on Kid A (the song). Kinda neat.

Fog: Blah. The “original” version is a top 5 Radiohead song for me, but this take doesn’t really work. The swung beat over the un-swung synths sounds awkward. It’s a demo, what can you expect.

IYSTW: Very very good. I can see why it was left off since it’s still quite OKC. But really nice.

FMA: This song never really did it for me, and while it’s nice to have a studio version, it still just kinda plods along.

Pulk/TLW: Holy poo poo. This is brilliant. Exactly what it says on the tin, but it just works. Love, love it.

Untitled v2: More Pulk. Eh.

Morning Bell: Basically a demo of the Amnesiac (and first?) arrangement of the song. Mostly instrumental, you can hear Thom working out a vocal melody. Interesting but inconsequential.

Pyramid Strings: Exactly what it describes. Interesting to hear them on its own. Jonny did great arrangements even back when he was still relatively new at doing strings.

Fast Track: That sure was Fast Track, I guess.

Untitled v3: Gotta love those mellotron harp glissandos and more Vocoder-Thom.

HTDC Strings: See Pyramid Song.

Overall honestly, kinda underwhelmed with the extra material, but there’s flashes of greatness there. I honestly get the feeling we’ve seen the vast majority of what was recorded during that period anyway, and these were just the final scraps that were left over. Off the top of my head of what could be missing are their first attempts at There There, WIEAYB, and Wolf at the Door - maybe those will turn up eventually?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Fog - Again Again Version is very pretty and flows really well into If You Say The Word. I've not heard the original yet though. Should look into that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

HD DAD posted:

Off the top of my head of what could be missing are their first attempts at There There, WIEAYB, and Wolf at the Door - maybe those will turn up eventually?
One of their early attempts at There There is in one of the pre-Kid A webcasts (available in the Public Libary). I'm not sure they would have really done anything more polished than that though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The new How to Disappear Completely sounds like it was written by Johann Johansson as a b-side to the Arrival OST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Pull/Pull True Love Waits is... I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Like it's nice, but in a "how does this sound good together? These sounds clash quite a bit" way.

Really like how How To Disappear Into Strings makes the Ondes Martenot stand out too. Such a gorgeous instrument.