Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Ceci n'est paw une chat

E: Noticed today that someone routed ethernet cable across some isolation shut-off valve handles for our compressed air. Probably not a big deal, but surely not best practice

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Ceci n'est paw une chat

E: Noticed today that someone routed ethernet cable across some isolation shut-off valve handles for our compressed air. Probably not a big deal, but surely not best practice

It’s very efficient if you need to shut off the air and the network at the same time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ceci n'est paw une chat

Someone couldn't get wifi and tried to improvise

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I don't want to contribute to the derail but my cousin and his wife had two cats. He warned me that I should never trust them because they will roll over onto their backs and ask for belly rubs. Then they will mutilate your hands to the point strangers will ask you what's wrong and you might need to go to the hospital.

Relevance is this, same cousin poured molten metal into his boot (just the one). The experience is so bad that the pain, and I'd let him describe it but he's not here, makes your brain not function and the taking off of the boot is super hard to even get started with.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I don't want to contribute to the derail but my cousin and his wife had two cats. He warned me that I should never trust them because they will roll over onto their backs and ask for belly rubs. Then they will mutilate your hands to the point strangers will ask you what's wrong and you might need to go to the hospital.

Relevance is this, same cousin poured molten metal into his boot (just the one). The experience is so bad that the pain, and I'd let him describe it but he's not here, makes your brain not function and the taking off of the boot is super hard to even get started with.

Yeah there is this peak of pain that's all just white light and ringing and I think that's the overload threshold response.

My infant son whipped an unclasped necklace into my nuts by surprise and I didn't even feel it at first, I was just suddenly transported to a blinding white space where no thought can pass and then a few seconds later I woke up on the ground with a decent majority of my faculties and ability to conceptualize/understand pain returned to me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

DandyLion posted:

Yeah there is this peak of pain that's all just white light and ringing and I think that's the overload threshold response.

My infant son whipped an unclasped necklace into my nuts by surprise and I didn't even feel it at first, I was just suddenly transported to a blinding white space where no thought can pass and then a few seconds later I woke up on the ground with a decent majority of my faculties and ability to conceptualize/understand pain returned to me.

I am spoilering this for :nms: apologies to any parents. Don't read this if you love your kiddos or whatever. I apologize it's not my invention but it traumatized me as a non-kid haver.

Oh drat. I was actually thinking of the DFW short story where this diapered infant pulls a pan down from the stove and it immediately burns his legs.

The father puts the baby in the sink to rinse cold water over it. He does not notice, possibly due to the constant crying, that his son's diaper is full of nearly boiling water.

I guess people who spend time imagining this sort of thing do kill themselves more than some.

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 3, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yeah that’s not best practice.

You should always have an air gap. :imunfunny:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Can you spare a spoiler tag, please? :nms::nms:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/xSWs9fJ.mp4

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

A bit late, but I was catching up on the thread and the nutmeg chat reminded me of a video about an OD that's pretty interesting and informative. Gotta love tiktok giving us this great content!

https://youtu.be/Gl3H23g5kT0

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Clearing some loose rock above a road. Nice sounds. One of the orange dots is not a crew member.

https://i.imgur.com/QOjR6Vq.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

One of the orange dots is not a crew member.

Orange sus

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r1pe6puBqh1w5pr9j.mp4

This just feels like the thing you'd really want a mask for.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Vlaphor posted:

Yeah but where you gonna find 1 tiny mask, let alone hundreds?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
That dual nozzle mega blast roach fogger is intense. Dude got a serious dose of it too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I want to know more about the exposed three phase breaker

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I am spoilering this for :nms: apologies to any parents. Don't read this if you love your kiddos or whatever. I apologize it's not my invention but it traumatized me as a non-kid haver.

Oh drat. I was actually thinking of the DFW short story where this diapered infant pulls a pan down from the stove and it immediately burns his legs.

The father puts the baby in the sink to rinse cold water over it. He does not notice, possibly due to the constant crying, that his son's diaper is full of nearly boiling water.

I guess people who spend time imagining this sort of thing do kill themselves more than some.

That happened to my wife when she was around two and the only reason she didn't get messed up was her uncle was over and was a navy corpsman in vietnam and he had her completely naked and under cold water in seconds. Everyone else completely froze

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Strabo4 posted:

A bit late, but I was catching up on the thread and the nutmeg chat reminded me of a video about an OD that's pretty interesting and informative. Gotta love tiktok giving us this great content!

https://youtu.be/Gl3H23g5kT0

Thanks, that was a really interesting video, and it looks like the guy has a lot more.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

B-Rock452 posted:

That happened to my wife when she was around two and the only reason she didn't get messed up was her uncle was over and was a navy corpsman in vietnam and he had her completely naked and under cold water in seconds. Everyone else completely froze

hope she sends him birthday cards drat

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Uthor posted:

Lego Beach

far away in time

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Vlaphor posted:

Yeah but his FREEDOM!!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r1tz94MPOg1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r1tzreUfg31r0uzl6.mp4

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

B-Rock452 posted:

It happened to me when I was about two. The water went all over my shirt and my mother ripped it off me immediately. I have a scar on my left arm just above the inside of the elbow joint that has a near perfectly straight top because that's the only place that got direct contact.

Remember: Children are idiots. They can and will do things that injure themselves just because they can and are not capable of comprehending the consequences. So... I guess kind of like most of the adults that get a mention in this thread.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Pickled Tink posted:

Remember: Children are idiots. They can and will do things that injure themselves just because they can and are not capable of comprehending the consequences. So... I guess kind of like most of the adults that get a mention in this thread.

I find it interesting that my nieces quickly learned "hot" = bad, so there was a while when we'd yell "hot!" if they were doing something dangerous like looking side eyed at a power outlet or grabbing for a knife.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/videosfolder/status/1454544411518541826?s=21

:stare:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JHzSmdJ.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My mom liked to tell a story of the time my grandpa got a new powerboat, and decided to show it off to his friend by taking him out while the girls (my mom and aunt) went waterskiing. My aunt went first and couldn't get up on the skis. "Go faster, you aren't going fast enough!" "Yes i am, it's full power, I've seen you do this before!" yada yada as he dragged her around in the water up to her neck for 20 minutes. Eventually she gave up in anger and my mom tried, with the same results. After an hour everyone was mad and sulking and they went back to shore.

Anchor was down the entire time

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Random Stranger posted:

"Don't see it, don't see it, don't see it, don't see it, HOLY gently caress!!"

i gasped when i finally saw it

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

That was… far less fire and death than I’d been expecting. But I still wouldn’t try to repeat it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Thanks, that was a really interesting video, and it looks like the guy has a lot more.

Get used to hearing “presence in blood”.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
☝ Presenting to the emergency room ☝

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

How to get the kitchen shut down and a day off work?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Mmmm spicy Coke

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

DandyLion posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qinghe_Special_Steel_Corporation_disaster

quote:

Another gave this description of being burned by the steel: "When the steel hit, it felt like being beaten by iron bars -- my brain went blank. I would be dead if I had turned my head".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

That was… far less fire and death than I’d been expecting. But I still wouldn’t try to repeat it.

I think this posts and my post on the next page explained why there's no fire

Mister Speaker posted:

You'd probably get some gnarly steam burns before you could get away, but the oil ejecting isn't going to ignite anything until it hits an open flame. That's why these demonstration videos are done with a boiling pot of oil over a flame, not a commercial deep-fryer (and I guess because the most common way this starts fires is when someone forgets to thaw a whole turkey before deep-frying it in a pot in their home). Modern deep-fryers have well-shielded boiling elements. Of course, if your goal was to burn a place down you'd probably have a grill or elements next to the fryer anyway, that you'd probably turn on. Then it's just about how the kitchen is laid out that means you either get out with some steam burns or not at all.

EDIT: Oh drat, I forgot about the vents at the back. You're right, that'd go up rather quickly.

PhazonLink posted:

just to chim in here.

Deep fryers have a container of oil, a cermanic heater a few inches off the bottom which heats the oil for frying , the hot oil rises, convection happens, heavier bits of food fall and rest at thje bottom cooler layer of oil. Over cooking / making carbon can accelerate the spoilage of oi, so letting the tiny bits sink to a cool layer can help. Which then needs to be cleaned out every once in a while.

tbh you probably get worse/better results with liquid water so less heat is wasted in the solid to liquid phase.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

tbh you probably get worse/better results with liquid water so less heat is wasted in the solid to liquid phase.

a bit tougher to fill a fry basket with, though

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Bloop posted:

a bit tougher to fill a fry basket with, though

There's pictures floating around of a restaurant that would heat up water in the deep fryer, imagine a bunch of stainless steel bowls and pots floating in the fryer, all filled with water.

The response from reddit and this thread both was OH GOD NO.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

This kinda thing always freaks me right out. I also noticed they don't have much flag left. :911:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There’s a reason why so many people die on crab boats. Fuuuuuuuuck that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

When I was a pipewelder, I got a hot cherry right under the tongue of my boot and it felt like it took forever to get the laces off. I switched to slip-on boots after that.

Later when I was a fitter (I was a pretty lovely welder), we had a nice easy job of fabbing up pipe out on deck on stands, unlike our usual contortionist bullshit. So my welder was happy, sitting on his bucket, making half a pass and having me twist the pipe, etc. He had a bit of plumber crack going. I saw one immense cherry slowly pop up, roll down the back of his hardhat, slowly roll down the back of his shirt, and head laser-accurate right for the crack of his rear end. I jumped in and shoved my hand in an instant down the back of his pants to grab it and clear it out before it could really do any damage.

Thank god someone else was standing right there and saw what happened. Because it.....took some explaining away.