Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It's called Dark Knight, not Dark Ages, I haven't read it but it's Bat Family centric and I think involves them being in the dark ages. So between that and the fact he's simultaneously writing a Marvel series called Dark Ages, I can understand the name confusion.

It's basically "what if sword and sorcery Batman/Superman " but also Superman's Kryptonian parents came in the rocket too and became childhood friends with Bruce.

Edit: Btw Crush & Lobo is still good.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Question IRL posted:

What is the plot of DC Dark Ages?
As Tom Taylor was supposed to do a Marvel AU series called Marvel: Dark Ages about the Marvel Earth where technology stops working.

It starts with Krypton blowing up as usual, but this time the rocket hits Earth during medieval times and the entire El family is on the rocket, not just Clark. Fast forward nineteen years, and the Kingdom of El has been established. Kal is obviously their prince, but they've also adopted Bruce after his parents, another king and queen, have died. The big question the first issue sets up is about someone sending assassins to take out Jor-El so I'm guessing the main plot thread is going to deal with that.

There's also the twist dropped right at the end that Bruce is the bastard son of Jor-El and Martha. We're getting into some real royal fuckery here and I love it.

First issue is real good y'all, don't sleep on it.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Sounds like Crusader Kings 2 but with superpowers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Sounds like Crusader Kings 2 but with superpowers.

Yea and verily, it's real good. Harley is the court jester harlequin, Bruce still has his Robins (at least Dick, Duke, and Steph), and lots of other interesting character choices like Black Lightning is a rival king and presumably has his own band of familiar faces under his employ, Green Arrow fitting in like he was always a medieval bow wielding vagabond, and a mysterious "Green Man" with strange green energy

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

From the sounds of it, current run of Swamp Thing is hitting quality levels comparable to Incredible Hulk over at Marvel. I need to catch up!

Oh, and Cliff Chiang's Catwoman title for Black Label is amazing and stuffed with good ideas.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Space Fish posted:

From the sounds of it, current run of Swamp Thing is hitting quality levels comparable to Incredible Hulk over at Marvel. I need to catch up!

It's really good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
If anyone wants a big What? The? gently caress? comic Batman: Reptilian goes into some very very weird places.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

Ram V has really been hitting it out of the park with his books, D.C. or otherwise. I wish they would spin Justice League: Dark into its own book so I could stop buying JLA.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

mrchoupon posted:

Ram V has really been hitting it out of the park with his books, D.C. or otherwise. I wish they would spin Justice League: Dark into its own book so I could stop buying JLA.

My Justice League sales have slid into a dire place under Bendis. I don't hate it but it is so aggressively underwhelming. Thus has been pretty much his entire DC output for the DCU so I was shocked to learn that the Justice League/Legion crossover book is coming. Justice League Dark being its own book again would be great.

Batman Universe was a banger though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

So it is a bendis book from the last 7 years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mrchoupon posted:

I didn't want to drop it but I just can't afford comics as much anymore, but his Catwoman was excellent.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I liked Bendis' Young Justice run and it was a fun book and all. His Justice League though, yeesh. I know he is trying his hardest to make Naomi a thing and probably has a fear that if he doesn't use his new character as much as possible she will be forgotten and never written about again, but having her join Young Justice, and then the Justice League like the most awesome character ever just makes it look like he is trying too hard to smash a round peg into a square hole. Added to that the comic felt like it spent most of its time advertising what he was doing in his other books and it just felt so inconsequential).

Anyway, from my haul I will say that Human Target got off to a fun mystery start. I dig the art and the vibe that the comic is going for and hope it continues. Crush and Lobo took a bit of a detour storywise but it is a fun title and I will be sad to see it end soon.

Batman: Reptilian keeps upping the black humour craziness and outside of the amazing painted artwork I have no idea what it is even doing. I guess I will spoiler the crazy parts below:

The story is some creature is brutally murdering a bunch of supervillains. Batman figures out that the creature that is doing this is Killer Croc's offspring. As in a creature that Killer Croc gave birth to. As in Killer Croc was pregnant and while pregnant released a pheremone and a bunch of other villains and now Croc's offspring is killing all those villains. Batman spends the latest issue trying to figure out if the offspring wants Croc to nurse it or gently caress it so it can reproduce. This comic is all kinds of insane

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I know he is trying his hardest to make Naomi a thing and probably has a fear that if he doesn't use his new character as much as possible she will be forgotten and never written about again

tbf, that is not an unjustified fear. How many new characters have various writers tried to establish over the years only to fall by the wayside the minute that writer leaves a title (or after a mini concludes/new solo gets canned/etc)? If Bendis is going to use his clout to make Naomi stick around come hell or high water, then I say more power to him.

...buuuut yeah the book is still bad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I guess my main gripe is that in Young Justice Bendis' introduces Naomi and all the characters automatically welcome her to the group because she is a young kid with power so it makes sense. And then she goes to the Justice League and they are all welcome her to the group and she is young and has powers and now I am wondering if she will just join every single group there is because she is awesome sauce or something. Like imagine having Claremont have Kitty go to meet the Avengers after she joins the X-Men and Iron Man going "you are young and have powers. You are now an Avenger". It just felt so.....like Bendis is telling us over and over again how awesome his character is instead of having it happen organically. It was kind of reaching Poochie levels of trying.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

tbf, that is not an unjustified fear. How many new characters have various writers tried to establish over the years only to fall by the wayside the minute that writer leaves a title (or after a mini concludes/new solo gets canned/etc)? If Bendis is going to use his clout to make Naomi stick around come hell or high water, then I say more power to him.

...buuuut yeah the book is still bad.

One of his other new characters was the subject of a both an incredibly critically and financially successful film, that also was one of the incredibly rare non Disney films to win the Oscar for Best Animated Film.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

One of his other new characters was the subject of a both an incredibly critically and financially successful film, that also was one of the incredibly rare non Disney films to win the Oscar for Best Animated Film.

Yeah, it's a shame he is doing so poorly at DC when he has shown he can do it successfully, I agree.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, it's a shame he is doing so poorly at DC when he has shown he can do it successfully, I agree.

I just meant that might gently caress with your head about how important and great your new characters were.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I just meant that might gently caress with your head about how important and great your new characters were.

That is definitely fair.

I think it is really more of a problem with Bendis traditionally trying to bludgeon you with the new character he is obsessed with, of which Ultimate Spider-Man largely avoided in the whole. It genuinely seems to come from a place of love and wanting to (correctly) increase diversity. After his early New Avengers stuff I never wanted to set Spider-Woman again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think it is really more of a problem with Bendis traditionally trying to bludgeon you with the new character he is obsessed with, of which Ultimate Spider-Man largely avoided in the whole. It genuinely seems to come from a place of love and wanting to (correctly) increase diversity. After his early New Avengers stuff I never wanted to set Spider-Woman again.

That Bendis doesn't really seem to be able to write distinct character voices doesn't help when he pushes a character hard since they sound like a Bendis Character. Clearly there is, at least somewhat, still a market for it but compare his Spider-Woman to Dennis Hallum's Spider-Woman and it's night and day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Naomi's no Goldballs, but I'm sure she'll stick around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
We shall see how her show is received

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i enjoyed the original Naomi book quite a bit and didn't know she was in anything since then. Sad to hear things aren't going so well for the character now

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Two of the best new characters that both became popular really organically were Kamala Khan and Sam Alexander. Both had a great solo series they launched in, that was allowed to exist on its own to establish them very well before the became tangled up in bigger things. Kamala Khan as Ms Marvel is alive and well, and Sam Alexander was doing fine until they put a returned, adult, Richard Ryder in the title as well that just basically rocketed both characters into oblivion.

Naomi was such a great initial story, but I feel its strength was a very believable teen who dreamed of being a super hero unaware that she was actually in a boiling cauldron of pure Origin Story weirdness.

Then she gets powers and becomes just another C-List Teen Titans wannabe character. Except she basically brings that energy while being in the most prominent team book alongside Batman himself and nobody cares.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I mean, look, you can't have a character named Dick Ryder in today's world.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Welp. For anyone who's interested, the first episode of my Wonder Woman deep dive video is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0BI69K8Mg

An hour and twenty minutes. :sweatdrop: It mostly ends up as a rumination on William Marston and the strengths and drawbacks of his...ideas. Includes two sidebars into mythology!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Welp. For anyone who's interested, the first episode of my Wonder Woman deep dive video is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0BI69K8Mg

An hour and twenty minutes. :sweatdrop: It mostly ends up as a rumination on William Marston and the strengths and drawbacks of his...ideas. Includes two sidebars into mythology!

Marston is definitely a strange and interesting figure and worth spending time on.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Nubia is funny to me because the character right now is written to have had this in-depth profound history with Diana and Hippolyta and even Artemis and all the other Amazons but it's like. None of it exists. It's all being made up on the fly. The general editorial assumption seems to be that this is a classic silver age character so clearly we should write her as if she's had a lot of classic comic book history except...not really, no, even in pre-Crisis the whole point was that she didn't grow up on Paradise Island and so had no background with Diana, and in post-Crisis she might've appeared in like one issue ever, and this Infinite Frontier character is just a brand new person so it's...not actually super clear why she's queen now or even what the character has ever really done up to this point, but everyone both in-text and editorially are like "Good for Nubia! She's finally getting her due! :buddy:"

I mean, I don't mind it, and I'm enjoying the world-building here, but it's just funny. I keep trying to think of a similar situation to this one and there are really none that can compare. It'd be like if...hell I dunno, if Spyke from X-Men: Evolution all of a sudden shows up on Krakoa, but he's ruling the Council because this character who's never had any stories written about him had been close friends with all the other members all long.

One other character I can think of that fits this is The Sentry, but that had more to do with the story and background of the character and how it affected the minds of the marvel U.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent posted:

One other character I can think of that fits this is The Sentry, but that had more to do with the story and background of the character and how it affected the minds of the marvel U.

Sentry is a really funny example because I kinda forgot about him, and we have Hyperion hanging out in Marvel, so I think future writers aren't going to use Sentry much.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I can't imagine she's going to be anything like in Formerly Known as the Justice League, but I'm excited we're getting a Mary Marvel series. I need to pick up more Shazam! trades.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

The Question IRL posted:

As Tom Taylor was supposed to do a Marvel AU series called Marvel: Dark Ages about the Marvel Earth where technology stops working.

Vandar posted:

It starts with Krypton blowing up as usual, but this time the rocket hits Earth during medieval times

So Dark Knights takes place in the dark ages and Dark Ages is about dark nights?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Sentry is a really funny example because I kinda forgot about him, and we have Hyperion hanging out in Marvel, so I think future writers aren't going to use Sentry much.

Man, outside of his miniseries few things feel like they fit awkwardly into the MU like Sentry.

Argue posted:

So Dark Knights takes place in the dark ages and Dark Ages is about dark nights?

Yes!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Argue posted:

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:
Very well posted.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ugh, very unimpressed with Wonder Woman: Evolution. Very stiff art, brings back the miserable Robinson Silver Swan instead of just letting that incarnation fade away as it deserves, and finally page after page of patronizing navel-gazing with Superman, 'cuz evidently the coin flip on the whole "one of them has to preach to the other about humanity" self-eating ouroboros came up Clark this time around.

The only good part was Diana going "lol how does Lois put up with this"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Ugh, very unimpressed with Wonder Woman: Evolution. Very stiff art, brings back the miserable Robinson Silver Swan instead of just letting that incarnation fade away as it deserves, and finally page after page of patronizing navel-gazing with Superman, 'cuz evidently the coin flip on the whole "one of them has to preach to the other about humanity" self-eating ouroboros came up Clark this time around.

The only good part was Diana going "lol how does Lois put up with this"

I didn't hate it, but I do dislike how this version of Swan just utterly memoryholes Julia Kapatelis. It's kind of a marked contrast to Nubia, which was really good again (to the point where I'm kinda down for Ayala and Phillips to take over the main WW book). And the hinting that Nubia has a bit of a thing for Io is cute, and a nice pay off for a supporting character that creators other than Rucka should've used more often.

They also really, really want the Batgirls book to be a success, huh, with the ashcan preview in like every book this week? It does seem fun from that, and I appreciate both Cloonan/Conrad and Tom Taylor in Nightwing doing a really good job with Cassandra, making her speech pattern a little deliberate and laconic, because speaking isn't as second nature to her as the rest, but still letting her be expressive and emotive.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Gaz-L posted:

I didn't hate it, but I do dislike how this version of Swan just utterly memoryholes Julia Kapatelis. It's kind of a marked contrast to Nubia, which was really good again (to the point where I'm kinda down for Ayala and Phillips to take over the main WW book). And the hinting that Nubia has a bit of a thing for Io is cute, and a nice pay off for a supporting character that creators other than Rucka should've used more often.

They also really, really want the Batgirls book to be a success, huh, with the ashcan preview in like every book this week? It does seem fun from that, and I appreciate both Cloonan/Conrad and Tom Taylor in Nightwing doing a really good job with Cassandra, making her speech pattern a little deliberate and laconic, because speaking isn't as second nature to her as the rest, but still letting her be expressive and emotive.

This reminds me, I haven't bought an actual comic in ages, but I should buy the Batgirls book. Vote with my wallet on Cass Cain content.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ve been buying Batman just for the Batgirls backups.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’ve been buying Batman just for the Batgirls backups.

There's something very enjoyable about the adventures of Cassandra and Steph

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm really excited for more of Steph and Cass, I can't wait for the trades.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This week's JL was atrocious, and I've been mostly enjoying Bendis's run so far. It was like all of Bendis's worst habits all came together in a story that barely made any sense at all.

On the other hand, I loved Nightwing, and am looking forward to Batgirls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

All I want out of Batgirls is for Cass to have some amazing fights that she actually wins.