Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Khablam posted:

Charlotte Rampling is in Dune.
I spent a couple of key scenes wondering whether or not she was going to diagnose someone with psychopathy.

drat you, Dexter!

I hadn't seen her in much, other than Dexter. All of a sudden, I catch her in a version of The Cherry Orchard, and :eyepop:

Edit: this pic isn't from that, but still.... daaaamn.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hadn't seen her in much, other than Dexter. All of a sudden, I catch her in a version of The Cherry Orchard, and :eyepop:

She's in Broadchurch season 2. It's a good show anyway, but she's worth watching the second season for.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So on this thread's recommendation I watched the first season of Barry and... holy gently caress, this show is incredible. It's Dexter without painting its main as as some sort of superhero and without all the stupid loving copouts (and even the one thing you could kinda sorta maybe call a copout actually makes sense and, well, doesn't exactly solve everything). Most of the stuff Dexter tried to do even when it was good, this show did, and it did it waaay better over the course of just eight half hour episodes. It sucks there are only eight more episodes for the time being, so I'm torn between marathoning them as quickly as possible or spacing them out to prolong the experience. I could probably write paragraphs upon paragraphs about how much better than Dexter it is, but here's one example that immediately sprang to mind after finishing the first season.

You know how season two of Dexter had tons of tension surrounding Dexter's situation with Doakes, but it turned out okay because Doakes got offed by a third party and thus Dexter didn't have to make any sort of morally compromising decision whatsoever? Yeah, Barry has something like that in its closing minutes. Except Barry doesn't get some random act of god to get him out of this situation without getting his hands dirty. He had to handle it himself by making a decision that went against his principles and the new life he was trying to start. This comes right after he did another act of preservation that he really did not want to do, and we actually saw what an effect it had on him. So that's twice now its done the plot of the main character having to kill someone that didn't "fit the code," for lack of a better term. Both times it was done way better than Dexter, where I'm sure the events would have happened and been forgotten about or written away with a single line without any sort of depth.

Also, NoHo Hank is hilarious. My ONE complaint about the show is how we don't see enough of him.

In the meantime I also finished Mr Inbetween and caught up on Chucky, just to make sure Dexter is as disappointing as possible when it doesn't measure up to any of these shows. Not even the one with a cast of mostly teenagers based on a series of movies about a killer doll from the 80s. Bring it on Showtime, I'm ready.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Slamhound posted:

Title of episode 2: "Storm of gently caress." I guess we know when Deb is gonna show up.

What do you wanna bet the first episode ends with Dexter realizing there's a killer loose in Iron Lake, which causes his "dark passenger" to come back as Deb, and her first words on screen are "Surprise motherfucker." You could say it's a heavy handed wink to the audience, but I'd see it more as a nervous twitch, as if to say "H-h-hey, remember this stuff? Remember Deb? Doakes? PLEASE LIKE THIS!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Naw that makes too much sense. It has to be something stupider. Like make it so that everything from Ghost Harry’s introduction was a weird fever dream, but also all the major plot points still happened, like Rita adn LaGuerta dying and all the bullshit with Dr. Vogel and Lumen and such.

Only difference between the old show and the new reality is that Deb is alive and well and does not know Dexter’s secret. Also Ghost Harry is still around obviously.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Khanstant posted:

You season 3 reminded me of Dexter in the bad way, in terms of people getting away with doing sloppy easy to catch murders but nobody does ever and everything works out for the murderman.

I got the exact same vibe.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Yeah she has done a surprising amount of nude shoots/scenes, even in her sixties!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Falukorv posted:

Yeah she has done a surprising amount of nude shoots/scenes, even in her sixties!

the movie is called 'dune' and she was only in three scenes

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Early reviews are coming in and the main thing reviewers have to say is “who asked for this. And what is its purpose.” EWs review mentions that there’s lots of lame “oh no Will dexter will get caught” fakeouts. So maybe not setting up to be a total train wreck which is kinda of disappointing imo

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Contemporary reviews of Dexter were never as harsh on Dexter as you might think. Remember, it was the golden era of blog-sites that recapped the episode in the most droll way possible and was full of comment sections of people going "OMG cant believe it!!!" and 'shipping' Deb and Dex.

This all to say this train ain't staying on the tracks!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This is multiple peoples prestige project, the odds are incredibly against it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

Contemporary reviews of Dexter were never as harsh on Dexter as you might think. Remember, it was the golden era of blog-sites that recapped the episode in the most droll way possible and was full of comment sections of people going "OMG cant believe it!!!" and 'shipping' Deb and Dex.

This all to say this train ain't staying on the tracks!

Much like Game of Thrones, reviewers of the day didn't catch on to the decline in quality until Season 8 even though it had been apparent for a long time.

There are too many clicks to be mined in excited speculation about what will happen next. It's bad business to burst that bubble by pointing out how dumb the show has gotten.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just thinking about Dexter makes me think of better shows, specifically The Shield. I wish there was a rewatch thread or even just some megathread about it still. There was one but I think it's archived now.

gently caress the Shield is so good. So much better than Dexter (not that it takes much). I love Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, but The Shield is my #1.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PostNouveau posted:

Much like Game of Thrones, reviewers of the day didn't catch on to the decline in quality until Season 8 even though it had been apparent for a long time.

There are too many clicks to be mined in excited speculation about what will happen next. It's bad business to burst that bubble by pointing out how dumb the show has gotten.

And now we have an infinite number of moronic youtube channels who live for this poo poo.

"8 things you might have missed in the new Dexter premier!"

1) When he killed and cut up that guy, it was a callback to the original series where he would kill and cut up people

2) Other people can't actually see or hear Deb.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Some details are starting to slip in these interviews. Things I wanted to not know and speculate on for a while more yet.
https://www.gq.com/story/dexter-new-blood-michael-c-hall-interview

So we know its really Harrison, not another ghost or some brief hallucination. Taking bets now on whether or not he offed Hannah before heading to Buttfuck Snowhere USA to find dear old dad. Or did she straight up abandon him with no Dexter and thus no reason to stay committed to the kid? She's not all sunshine and lollipops at her core.

Would a late season introduction of some of the old Miami Metro staff who catch wind of it all and come to bring him to justice be too much fan service? Maybe thats a reach but I gotta think there will be some kinda appearance from someone thats being kept under wraps for now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Some details are starting to slip in these interviews. Things I wanted to not know and speculate on for a while more yet.

So we know its really Harrison, not another ghost or some brief hallucination. Taking bets now on whether or not he offed Hannah before heading to Buttfuck Snowhere USA to find dear old dad. Or did she straight up abandon him with no Dexter and thus no reason to stay committed to the kid? She's not all sunshine and lollipops at her core.

Would a late season introduction of some of the old Miami Metro staff who catch wind of it all and come to bring him to justice be too much fan service? Maybe thats a reach but I gotta think there will be some kinda appearance from someone thats being kept under wraps for now.

I genuinely laughed out loud at the concept of fan service with regards to this show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ghost Deb, Quinn and Harrison team up to bring Dexter to justice

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m curious as to how Harrison would even know of Dexter, let along figure out that Dexter is alive and in the middle of nowhere without some incredibly stupid setup like Dexter going viral on some video but that should also get Miami PD, the FBI, and everyone else in the world to take notice.

anyways sounds stupid as gently caress as I’m ready to hate watch just as I did before.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

codo27 posted:

article repeats the canard that the peak of the show was season 4, which can only come from someone who was not psychologically scarred enough to remember the neighborhood watch subplot

e: and the Vacation Murderers. jesus christ there was a lot of filler in that season

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

codo27 posted:

So we know its really Harrison

Didn't dexter have, like, 3 kids? Did Astor and Cody just get poisoned by the serial killer he left them with?

Or is Harrison using his own Dark Passenger to find his dad?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Didn't dexter have, like, 3 kids? Did Astor and Cody just get poisoned by the serial killer he left them with?

Or is Harrison using his own Dark Passenger to find his dad?

Astor and Cody were Rita’s kids, and the writers shipped them off to live with their grandparents almost immediately after she was killed, presumably so they wouldn’t have to bother writing around them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

article repeats the canard that the peak of the show was season 4, which can only come from someone who was not psychologically scarred enough to remember the neighborhood watch subplot

e: and the Vacation Murderers. jesus christ there was a lot of filler in that season

I think people glorify s4 a lot because of the tragedy. The most significant death is in that season so it must be the best? I still like s1 the best I think. And I really enjoy the Bail Organa season as well. I always struggle to remember what the other season was among the first 4.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The reason season 4 is the best is because of Lithgow :yosbutt:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

The reason season 4 is the best is because of Lithgow :yosbutt:

Yeah, it's this. He was the best villain because of Lithgow, who played him in excellently.

This show was always campy and dumb on some level, but without knowing how the last 4 seasons would COMPLETELY drop the ball, season 4 just ratcheted up the stakes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yes I dont want to downplay that aspect but I dont think its worthy of the attention it gets as the undisputed zenith of the series.

Doakes is the s2 villain. Thats why I never remember it, its Doakes, not some external villain. Rudy, Doakes, Miguel, Trinity, Tony Robbins, jesus bois, gently caress, fuckkkkk

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

S2 not having an actual villain I think works as an extension of S1. S1 brought a lot of heat to Dexter's work, personal life, and dark passenger life and S2 was spent basically facing the consequences of what happened and him trying to untangle poo poo while the walls closed in. I feel it could have led to something better or more creative to take the show in a new/fresh direction but they opted with the safe play of simply giving Dexter too many outs, get rid of Doakes clealy, then leave Dexter in an even better position than when he started.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Season 1 is the best season.

Lithgow is the best individual performance, but the cracks start showing in Season 3 and things progress into badness in Season 4. Lithgow is a great break from bad things that are happening.

Season 2 is Dexter barely staying one step ahead of the law, with Lila and Doakes as antagonists. It's good because it's not a predictable formula that they'd fall into of having a main bad guy that Dexter dispatches at the end of the season. I think if they made it these days, with a lot more shows being willing to tell their story and then end, Dexter probably would have been 3 seasons long and fondly remembered.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Diabolik900 posted:

Astor and Cody were Rita’s kids, and the writers shipped them off to live with their grandparents almost immediately after she was killed, presumably so they wouldn’t have to bother writing around them.

Now I remember.

They were sent off to live with all the other TV children who weren't wanted.

Like the little kid from Married With Children, or the sister who went up the stairs and vanished on Family Matters.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now I remember.

They were sent off to live with all the other TV children who weren't wanted.

Like the little kid from Married With Children, or the sister who went up the stairs and vanished on Family Matters.

To be fair, unlike a lot of other tv kids, they didn’t completely disappear. They would come visit, or Harrison would visit them, from time to time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah S4 wasn’t very good but the only reason it’s a debate is because the main villain carried the show on his back

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m curious as to how Harrison would even know of Dexter

If Harrison was old enough to use a treadmill, he was old enough to remember Dexter

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Lithgow is the best individual performance, but the cracks start showing in Season 3 and things progress into badness in Season 4. Lithgow is a great break from bad things that are happening.

Ok, fair enough.

I'm just now remembering that Trinity's daughter gets caught up with Quinn, and yeah... that felt completely dumb and bad.

I say all of this having never rewatched one single episode of this show. It and Sons of Anarchy will never be rewatched, I just can't do it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm just now remembering that Trinity's daughter gets caught up with Quinn, and yeah... that felt completely dumb and bad.

I tried to recall how she looked in my head but came up with the IA agent that was harassing Deb. And when I tried to think of her name, all I could think was Chicky Hines

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

I tried to recall how she looked in my head but came up with the IA agent that was harassing Deb. And when I tried to think of her name, all I could think was Chicky Hines

Big cheeks is the main thing here

Christine. Killed Lundy, looks good naked.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Argue posted:

If Harrison was old enough to use a treadmill, he was old enough to remember Dexter

Hahaha

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I'm still not convinced that's really Harrison. It'll turn out to be some sort of conman that somehow found out Dexter's identity and is trying to use him somehow, or something equally ridiculous. Yeah, I know, it's pretty stupid, which is exactly why I'm expecting something like that. We're talking about the same show where Dexter killed someone in an airport and then a few episodes later offed a guy in a crowded shooting range. Oh, and where "He put spyware on my computer... so that means I can use it to spy on him, too!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah S4 wasn’t very good but the only reason it’s a debate is because the main villain carried the show on his back

I think it's a real testament to Lithgow's talents that his performance was able to convince people the rot started a whole season later than it really did. Trinity isn't even especially well written, all of the acclaim that season gets is on Lithgow's shoulders. Well, that and the shocking ending I suppose. But yeah without those two things that part of the show is season 5 tier at best.

Also I finally finished Barry, and holy gently caress season two's ending. Like I said when I first wrote about the show, there seem to be consequences to his victims that didn't fit his MO; the death of Moss wasn't just forgotten after the season ended, unlike Doakes. It was a huge part of the season and likely will be in the next one now that Fuches has told Gene it was Barry who killed her. Barry's lack of killing throughout the second season can be attributed entirely to Chris and Moss, because unlike the rest of his victims Barry can't justify them as "bad guys." Those two killings bothered him, and were the pivotal moments that made Barry get away from his nature, which made it all the more impactful when he closed out the season by going on a rampage because of Fuches' actions. And on that note, no Dexter villain holds a candle to Fuches; sure, he comes across as a goofball for a good chunk of the series, but look at how his actions affected Barry in the end. I can safely say I care more about these characters and their relationships after 8 hours (shorter than any season of Dexter) than I ever did about anyone in Dexter over the course of 96 one hour long episodes.

Three days until this two month long tire fire can start.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JaddaCaddra posted:

I think it's a real testament to Lithgow's talents that his performance was able to convince people the rot started a whole season later than it really did. Trinity isn't even especially well written, all of the acclaim that season gets is on Lithgow's shoulders. Well, that and the shocking ending I suppose. But yeah without those two things that part of the show is season 5 tier at best.

Two seasons, really! I remember the chatter when Season 3 was airing was that the show had started to slip.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Still kinda hoping that all the talk about Dexters new life is a misdirect to get us thinking he's managed to successfully form a new identity, and the first episode ends with with him being arrested and the rest of the season is a drama about a man facing justice for his crimes.

It's not gonna be, but that would be a twist for the ages.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Still kinda hoping that all the talk about Dexters new life is a misdirect to get us thinking he's managed to successfully form a new identity, and the first episode ends with with him being arrested and the rest of the season is a drama about a man facing justice for his crimes.

It's not gonna be, but that would be a twist for the ages.

needless to say, I cannot, under any circumstances, photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Big cheeks is the main thing here

Christine. Killed Lundy, looks good naked.

I remember reading a really gross interview blurb at the time where someone on the show production was like "Her career hadn't taken off and she was desperate for roles so we knew we could have her do a lot of nudity"