Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the pokemon comparison would be even more misleading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Video gmae critics: "more like poo poo Megami Tenshit"

Switch thread: *sighs* *draws katana*

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

cheetah7071 posted:

I think the pokemon comparison would be even more misleading

the dark souls of pokemon

i have ascended into games journalism valhalla

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Arrrthritis posted:

Finally, the one accurate SMT comparison.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Arrrthritis posted:

lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

for fans of the genre

7/10

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah it was john walker who was a cofounder

:chloe:

Ah so I see David Jaffe comparing Metroid Dread to Shantae has precedence.

Andrast posted:

lol at people pretending smt and persona aren't very similar

Because they aren't, outside of a mechanical perspective.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

JaneError posted:

New Switch owner here; got my OLED Tuesday. After giving it a couple days to get a feel for it, I'm thinking I need a grip. Any opinions on the Skull & Co. NeoGrip?

I’m fairly certain that the Satisfye grip is the consensus best grip out there. I have one for the standard Switch and it’s awesome, I would assume the OLED grip is just as good.

You might be able to get it on sale if you wait a couple of weeks, hard to say if the new one will actually go on sale this year.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Reviewing Mega Man 11: nowhere are the energy upgrades and armor of the X series, and a sad lack of story about what separates robots from humans. It’s like the X series without the maturity

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'd plug the Split Pad Pro again but apparently it's not compatible with the new (OLED) dock. Which I don't really think is the Split Pad Pro's fault. Anyways my dock is still in the box.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hatty posted:

Reviewing Mega Man 11: nowhere are the energy upgrades and armor of the X series, and a sad lack of story about what separates robots from humans. It’s like the X series without the maturity

Not the first time they've borrowed from Astro Boy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Super Mario 3D World misses the mark and is a disappointing entry into the Mario franchise. Control of the camera has been taken away completely, and gone are Mario's punching and kicking from 64, even the spin from Galaxy has been removed. To make matters worse, a timer has been added, discouraging exploration of the levels, which are far too short and have only a single goal at the end compared to the multiple stars of previous games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

:wrong:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Andrast posted:

i don't even play or really like either series and i know this isn't true

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Their combat is pretty similar and they have the same demon fusion mechanic

the rest is about as different as they can be within the constraints of a jrpg

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I hardly ever use my split pad pro but that didn’t stop me for a second from smashing that pre order button on the new Mega Man one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

SMT is the Dark Souls of Persona

Nah, SMT is the Dark Souls of Pokemón

Edit:

gently caress, how can so many people all have the same bad idea at once???

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JaneError posted:

New Switch owner here; got my OLED Tuesday. After giving it a couple days to get a feel for it, I'm thinking I need a grip. Any opinions on the Skull & Co. NeoGrip?

The two goon approved grips:

Satisfye and the Hori Split Pad Pro. I personally use the Hori Split Pad Pro (comes in multiple colors, prices seem to vary, look around). It's like if they took a standard sized controller and well, split in two. There is no battery so they only work in handheld and there is no rumble function.

Everyone who has the Satisfye grip swears by it, a friend of mine has one and it feels really nice. The big con is that you gotta take it off to dock it. The one I linked is for the OLED specifically as the older model doesn't fit the OLED.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd plug the Split Pad Pro again but apparently it's not compatible with the new (OLED) dock. Which I don't really think is the Split Pad Pro's fault. Anyways my dock is still in the box.

Not true, I have been using my Split Pad Pros on my OLED dock with no issue. However, I did try to dock it onto my friend's non-OLED Switch and it wouldn't fit.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’m fairly certain that the Satisfye grip is the consensus best grip out there. I have one for the standard Switch and it’s awesome, I would assume the OLED grip is just as good.

You might be able to get it on sale if you wait a couple of weeks, hard to say if the new one will actually go on sale this year.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Satisfye and the Hori Split Pad Pro. I personally use the Hori Split Pad Pro (comes in multiple colors, prices seem to vary, look around). It's like if they took a standard sized controller and well, split in two. There is no battery so they only work in handheld and there is no rumble function.

Everyone who has the Satisfye grip swears by it, a friend of mine has one and it feels really nice. The big con is that you gotta take it off to dock it. The one I linked is for the OLED specifically as the older model doesn't fit the OLED.

Thanks for the recs! I'm flying a bit blind here.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh wow that Mega Man Split Pad Pro literally got announced as I was typing that. Looks nice.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1456360157395382292?t=bGDMymeKls1m-OBjRnLxlw&s=19

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Is Raven Beak the true final boss of Dread? I was stuck on him last night, game is hard. And if so does the title screen change after you beat the game to Metroid: Dad? Because it should.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

dr.acula posted:

Is Raven Beak the true final boss of Dread? I was stuck on him last night, game is hard. And if so does the title screen change after you beat the game to Metroid: Dad? Because it should.

Very big ending spoilers so read if you dare:

Raven Beak is the true final boss but

after the planet escape sequence there is a surprise fakeout boss that you will obliterate.

Title screen stays the same I believe.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

gently caress, ill read it after.
thanks though

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

dr.acula posted:

I was also struggling on the final boss for an hour or two, tried not to look things up but struggled with each new phase. I couldn't get it until I went on YouTube and just studied the patterns for a bit. Now I can do the entire battle with barely being hit.

To be fair, I also couldn't beat Kraid. Even went back and tried to get as many upgrades as I could in order to do it. Gave up and read online that there is a sequence break that allows you to instant kill him. So I ended up doing that...definitely thought that boss was the harder of the two, but I wasn't nearly as powered up as well.

It's crazy how the boss battles go from insanely tough to incredibly easy. Every attack can truly being avoided

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the one that seems to trip a lot of people up is that the boss you get after the multi-rockets upgrade has a healing phase that isn't obvious because the bosses dont have health bars, resulting in people thinking it actually takes like 20 minutes to kill

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If we're ever on the same time zone and I happy to be on my switch hit me up at 5181-2261-0743. I'm always up for some Streets of Rage 4. Same goes to the rest of you folks. That or tetris effect. Whenever, wherever.

I hope you guys enjoy it. It is pretty perfect and punching people doesn't get old. If you do like it, consider the DLC, it's only 8 bucks and it adds a ton of features to the game, especially the randomized survival mode if you feel like the story mode is getting stale on you.

Hell yeah. Those were good times.

That's pretty awesome of you. I'm in the Eastern US, so I don't think it'll happen often. :)

I got excited for a minute thinking the new TMNT game was out but it's delayed.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

That's pretty awesome of you. I'm in the Eastern US, so I don't think it'll happen often. :)

I got excited for a minute thinking the new TMNT game was out but it's delayed.

I cannot wait for that. If it's not too pricey (30ish) I'll pick it up on launch. I loved Turtles in Time so much and this seems to be doing it some serious justice. It'll likely not have the depth of SoR4 but it looks charming enough to not need it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
free cheat for you from the echoes of gamewinners.com

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1456382860919652369

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Electromax posted:

free cheat for you from the echoes of gamewinners.com

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1456382860919652369
I spent about 20 minutes trying to do just that as soon as I booted the game up.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the port of Quake has some lighting issues
Where at?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

American McGay posted:

I spent about 20 minutes trying to do just that as soon as I booted the game up.

did you succeed?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Going to also shill for the Binbok controller. Same basic shape and features as the Split Pad Pro, but also adds wireless, rumble, and gyro. Also RGB around the sticks for whatever reason.

I've been using them for like 2 weeks now, they're pretty comfy and work well. No clearance issues on either the old dock or the OLED dock (unless you have something plugged into a USB port).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

b_d posted:

did you succeed?
I did not. I didn't actually remember how to do it, just a vague memory that involved triple jumping in that specific corner somehow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm getting back into Animal Crossing in a huge way, and one of the things that I appreciate about it is just how insanely customizable it all is. I remember when I started playing, I was sitting at a table in my house, with custom album art put up as posters, listening to a few of my KK songs on my stereo, while I designed my Nook phone case to resemble a ghost trap from Ghostbusters.

My wife makes clothing, designs many areas of the island, and she and I try to design our rooms around a theme each. I have a cafe in my basement, and I loved making it.

https://twitter.com/robot_cousin/status/1456370074013483036?t=z3AHJAsN3eupj0yzIoOupQ&s=19

Can't wait to make more stuff, especially with the update and the incoming DLC. :allears:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not true, I have been using my Split Pad Pros on my OLED dock with no issue. However, I did try to dock it onto my friend's non-OLED Switch and it wouldn't fit.
Huh, so I found out from the graphic on Hori's site (scroll towards the bottom).

So the SPP+OLED Switch works in the OLED dock but not the SPP+OG Switch? That's interesting.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Any thoughts on Magic Potion Millionaire? Looks interesting and I'll probably grab it eventually but I'm curious if anyone else has tried it in the meantime.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Huh, so I found out from the graphic on Hori's site (scroll towards the bottom).

So the SPP+OLED Switch works in the OLED dock but not the SPP+OG Switch? That's interesting.

Maybe they're covering their asses or something, but docking feels no different from docking when I had my previous Switch with the pro pads. I even just now checked to see if maybe it doesn't sit flush but the Switch sits on the dock the same either way. It's always charged fine, hasn't lost connection during a docked session or acted weird.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Split Pad users, what games do you find yourself taking them off and going back to joy-cons? Like I said, I barely use my old ones but I’ll be damned if I take the Mega Man one off unless I really have to. I’m guessing most with motion control. Personally I would need motion in Resident Evil 4, Quake, Dusk, maybe the Dooms. Anything else I’m missing? Splatoon I guess but I haven’t played that forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
persona isnt similar enough to digital devil saga. 1 out of 5