Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

At what point does the Baron rape Mohiam? Because I hope that doesn't make the movie.

This does not happen in dune at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

porfiria posted:

Don't have anything to add at the moment, but thanks for the Good Post. Worth a million boring takes on the Laser Guns.

Is it though. They somehow saw a cut of the movie that doesn’t include Jessica at all

Ej: if you like a third person omniscient narrative format where you’re rapidly switching from one characters POV to another, boy have I got the book for you

Starks fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 4, 2021

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Covermeinsunshine posted:

This does not happen in dune at all.

I thought I read this somewhere

I might be losing it

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
Don't think Jessicas character moments really change that critique.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

At what point does the Baron rape Mohiam? Because I hope that doesn't make the movie.
The Dune Encyclopedia, which is not Canon but had Frank Herbert's blessing, first floated the idea that Jessica's unknown BG mother might have been Mohiam herself. Brian Herbert/KJA took this and ran with it, and decided to make it as gross as possible.

The DE is a lot of fun; it's presented as an in-universe document, so anything you don't like you can ignore.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 4, 2021

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I thought I read this somewhere

I might be losing it

It's in the failson/anderson sequels/prequels and can be safely ignored

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Covermeinsunshine posted:

It's in the failson/anderson sequels/prequels and can be safely ignored

Looking back it's still unreal to me how gross they went out of their way to be with some stuff like that and Gurney's sister's torture/death and stuff.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Herbert alluded to plenty of gross stuff in his books but he had the decency to keep the nasty grossness either alluded to or happening off-page.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's in one of the lovely books that Frank Herbert's kid co-wrote with that guy from the Star Wars EU.

E:f,b.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Ej posted:

Finally got to see this, and feel like bleeding my thoughts out onto the sands of this thread.

Villeneuve is such a frustrating director to watch for movies like this because he is SO married to the first-person style of storytelling. Almost everything in this movie revolves around Paul, and how he personally experiences the story. It makes for a very visceral watch, and I feel like the most impressive parts of the movie are in the feel of it. The buildings are all massive brutalist behemoths, with cavernous and poorly lit interiors. It looks like these people live in mausoleums, and they behave like it. Their mood is as cavernous and dimly lit as the sets they inhabit. There is feeling there, and every once in a while it surfaces, but when it does it feels like violence, an upset of the natural balance. The only character who seems to break out of this mold is Duncan, and this makes sense as he is the bright spot in Paul's life. Everyone else is mostly muted and stoic. Paul's intuition of their impending doom looms over and colors everything, which is great for Paul's story ... but I wonder if there is going to be anything to tell here OTHER than Paul's story at the end of the day.

We get to see Paul's dreams and visions directly. We experience his time-skips when he is manipulated. We feel his dread for his family, and his apprehension at his future. And we feel his self-loathing, both at what he is and at what he is going to do. We don't get this for anyone else. Paul's parents TELL what they have hoped and dreamed, but only in relation to Paul own feelings. When Paul uses the voice on others, or others use it on people not-Paul, there is no missing time. There are moments where people interact without any relation to Paul, like when Gurney and Leto are surveying the city, but these are only used as info dumps. The motivations of some are made clear by their words and deeds, but that is all we ever get, we never get to FEEL other characters like we feel Paul. Yueh's actions obviously have a lot of different conflicting motivations behind them, but we never get to experience that conflict. He stoically and matter-of-factly tends to the Atreides, until he stoically and matter-of-factly betrays them, and then stoically and matter-of-factly gets killed. And what of Thufir? He obviously feels some warmth for Paul and feels like a failure because of the assassination attempt, but what about non-Paul related stuff? What does he think of the Atreides plan? Where the heck was he when the poo poo hit the fan? Did Yueh kill him? Did he commit suicide because of his epic failure? And then Gurney - he seems to have a kind of warrior priest or knight templar thing going on in this movie. Let me get into some of that. What are his thoughts/feelings on allying with the Fremen? Seems like they would have a lot in common. I like the one great outburst we get from him, on the brutality of the Harkonnen, but it is the only such one in the whole movie, and AGAIN it is directed at Paul. When he actually sees the Harkonnen coming to wipe out the Atreides, he is back to the stoic warrior priest, murmuring "God in heaven", and running into the fray. This has to be an absolutely apocalyptic moment for him, but he smothers it and goes on with his duty. Why go this route? Let me feel his rage, despair, crisis of faith, something!

The motivation of the antagonists are also a bit murky. I didn't catch much of any personal rivalry between Atreides and Harkonnen. The Baron mostly seemed miffed at temporarily losing his cash cow (MY Arrakis). His personal executions feel perfunctory, by the numbers. Join your wife. We've had blood feud for centuries but your line ends here. That's the extent of it, all in a monotone that seems like he barely cares about what is going on. I'll grant that that adds a certain chill to the Baron's character that could be interesting to explore, but still there is a feeling of seeing his character from a distance. We don't really get to know what is driving him, if anything (other than gluttony). Maybe that will be the point? That such high power leads to a kind of power-for-its-own-sake brand of nihilism? Again, could be an interesting direction to explore, but this movie doesn't seem to have any interest in going there. This is the pattern, over and over again. The only one worth exploring in any depth is Paul.

I think I could be more down with an opaque and grungy tale of political intrigue and revolution if it weren't for the fact that Paul's journey is so clear and sharply defined. If you are going to tell a story of power, revolution, sociology and ecology, why are you telling it ONLY through the lens of the person forcing the change? I want to believe that this is all a setup for a great shakeup in the next movie, where we get to see the galaxy from others' perspectives, maybe feel Paul's use of the voice on them or see their dreams as they are realized or destroyed by the galactic holy war. If such a turn comes I'll be ready to do a full 180 on this movie. But if it doesn't, this all plays to me like a powerful person's heroic fantasy. What if I could use my power to actually be the hero the world needs? What if I had a great injustice I could avenge at the same time? This feels like a waste of a great setting if we don't also add the question: how does everyone else feel about this? Without that, it reads like Watchmen told only through the eyes of Ozymandias.

I loved the movie (saw it a 3rd time in IMAX again last night!) but you make some very valid points and delivered them eloquently. I really wish he could have made this series of movies as long as he wanted them to be, I hope we get some super long director's cuts of these at some point.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Alchenar posted:

Herbert alluded to plenty of gross stuff in his books but he had the decency to keep the nasty grossness either alluded to or happening off-page.

Most of the time, there is a child rape in chapterhouse that is the absolute low point of the frank herbert books.

Seriously dont mouse over that spoiler without bracing yourself.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Someone is adapting Incal, which IIRC features a lot of Jodorowsky's ideas for Dune. Director announcement tomorrow I think.

https://www.theincalmovie.com/

lol it's Taika Waititi

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Halloween Jack posted:

But part of Dune's story is that the Emperor's grasp is slipping because he doesn't pay attention to the people beneath him. What you're suggesting is a lot more like the Autarch in the Book of the New Sun.

This is a bit of a tangent, but if anyone is looking to get their next fix of unfilmable classic literary science fiction, they could do a lot worse than The Book of the New Sun.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm definitely going to read Hyperion

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

idk what theincal is but i can’t stop reading it as theincel

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s a creepy dude with some absolutely dire views about women.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Have Hayden Christensen be the emperor.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stev posted:

It's going to be Giancarlo isn't it.
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1456336542616543232

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

"There was not a chance in hell of her showing me up. Loved it!"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ej posted:

I want to believe that this is all a setup for a great shakeup in the next movie, where we get to see the galaxy from others' perspectives, maybe feel Paul's use of the voice on them or see their dreams as they are realized or destroyed by the galactic holy war. If such a turn comes I'll be ready to do a full 180 on this movie.
yeee apparently z will be the protag of the next film so we'll still have first person but at least it won't be the coloniser

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
My sister walked out of Dune LOL

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nightmare Cinema posted:

My sister walked out of Dune LOL

Bad case of helminthophobia?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lampsacus posted:

yeee apparently z will be the protag of the next film so we'll still have first person but at least it won't be the coloniser

This is the result of a (wilful) mistranslation from a French interview, it's not true

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but if anyone is looking to get their next fix of unfilmable classic literary science fiction, they could do a lot worse than The Book of the New Sun.

What is unfilmable about a naked muscle-bound dick-stroking tyrant with two heads?

Ej
Apr 13, 2005

Starks posted:

Is it though. They somehow saw a cut of the movie that doesn’t include Jessica at all

Ej: if you like a third person omniscient narrative format where you’re rapidly switching from one characters POV to another, boy have I got the book for you

I don't need constant shifting, I think more what I want is just a sense that the other characters have inner lives (that don't revolve around Paul). You're right to call out Jessica as a kind-of counter to my criticism, she seems like the most fully fleshed out person other than Paul. But I'm still sort of in the dark about what she thinks about this whole situation that she took an active part in engineering. She is definitely concerned for Paul, that comes through very strongly. But ... I'm not sure how on-board she is with the overall BG plan to make the Kwisatz Haderach. The reverend mother implies she had Paul to deliberately try to create the chosen-one herself. She neither confirms nor denies. She tells Paul about the plan, and ominous music swells, and then it cuts to the next scene. The only other time the two really reference this is when Paul gets his visions of the coming holy war in the tent, and in that instance they don't discuss the holy war or the BG plan at all. Instead Paul accuses her of making him a freak, and she tries to comfort him. And that's it, cut to next scene. She's a constant loving mom figure to Paul, but her motivations with respect to his "chosen-one" status are a mystery. Her and Leto have a quick final discussion that touches on this and when he asks her directly what her intentions (as a Bene Gesserit) are towards Paul, she won't or can't answer. Does she not know or is she conflicted? Why did she actually choose to have a son? Was the reverend mother right? Or is some other game at play here?

I think Jessica is a character that can tolerate this level of ambiguity because it does create some tension in the story. But it's still unnecessarily foggy (to me). And I'm not sure if the tension will ever be resolved.

Anyway, I don't want to come off like I hated the movie entirely. The parts of it that I liked I thought were really well done. The foreboding that dominates the first 90 minutes pays off in a satisfyingly gutwrenching way. The sound design and effects work are top notch, and I like the way the tech was presented. I also REALLY like that nothing about the setting was over-explained (well, I guess the shield fighting kind-of falls into this, but that wasn't too much for me). I just want something more out of the characters. I think the non-protags are Villeneuve's weak point as a director/writer.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is the result of a (wilful) mistranslation from a French interview, it's not true

Ahh drat, I think that would have been pretty great to see, and would have still fit into Villeneuve's strengths.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Paolomania posted:

What is unfilmable about a naked muscle-bound dick-stroking tyrant with two heads?

Something I love about that book is you can spoil huge stuff like that and it doesn't actually spoil anything.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I very much agree with the criticism that Jessica's motives were not established in the film. Apparently it's a big deal for her to have had a son, and the viewer can infer that she did it in defiance of her Order so that Leto could have an heir, but the relationship between Jessica and Leto could have used even one more scene. "I thought we had more time" is a bit ironic in hindsight because it describes their characters on screen. There was definitely some tenderness there, but the film would have benefitted from just a little more exploration of how/why these two people broke broke a lot of social norms because of their commitment to one another.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Neo Rasa posted:

Something I love about that book is you can spoil huge stuff like that and it doesn't actually spoil anything.

So much of the effect of that book is not what happens, but how. There's a dangerous creature called an Alzabo which isn't too complicated - big bear-type thing, can imitate the voice of its victims, and has some ability to temporarily absorb their personality. But the scene where we actually meet a live one is among the most philosophically disturbing monster encounters I've ever read.

The humbling thing about the book is that you start to thing "ok Gene, lay off making up weird sci-fi flavor text words" and then you start to realize with dawning horror that he's not making up any words, your own vocabulary is just pitiful in comparison. Chatelaine? Indanthrene? Paterissa? Too bad for you, better break out the dictionary.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Ej posted:

Jessica stuff

Jessica's main motivation in the book for bearing a son instead of a daughter is she really loved Leto and Leto wanted a son. But you only know that from her internal monologue. I don't how well that could've been shown in the movie though. Maybe in the tent scene when Paul is freaking out? I don't know where it would fit elsewhere

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

fletcher posted:

Bad case of helminthophobia?

Wormsign scares filthy plebs you know.

She's a huge Star Wars and Marvel fan, but can't stand LotR and Alien (now add Dune to the latter list).

She lacks refinement.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2hYQJ8OUc

You can see the concept art had much wider wings for the ornithopters, more like a real dragonfly.

Incredibly, Timothee and Josh hanging out of the ornithopter was a practical effect. They hung the 11 ton ornithopter off of a crane and then hung the actors off of that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Captain von Trapp posted:

So much of the effect of that book is not what happens, but how. There's a dangerous creature called an Alzabo which isn't too complicated - big bear-type thing, can imitate the voice of its victims, and has some ability to temporarily absorb their personality. But the scene where we actually meet a live one is among the most philosophically disturbing monster encounters I've ever read.

The humbling thing about the book is that you start to thing "ok Gene, lay off making up weird sci-fi flavor text words" and then you start to realize with dawning horror that he's not making up any words, your own vocabulary is just pitiful in comparison. Chatelaine? Indanthrene? Paterissa? Too bad for you, better break out the dictionary.

Okay I suddenly need to know every single possible bit of information about this.

Ej
Apr 13, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Jessica's main motivation in the book for bearing a son instead of a daughter is she really loved Leto and Leto wanted a son. But you only know that from her internal monologue. I don't how well that could've been shown in the movie though. Maybe in the tent scene when Paul is freaking out? I don't know where it would fit elsewhere

There are a couple places her reasoning could naturally fit in. When the reverend mother calls Jessica out on having a son she could simply ask Jessica why she did it. Or, you could extend the scene between Jessica and Leto and have them talk about it. If she has the same motivation as in the book it would be a nice bit of re-assurance to give to Leto, and is basically exactly what he is asking her for. It's actually kind of strange NOT to bring it up with Leto, unless her motivation is different in this version.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The movie definitely fails to show how involved Jessica is in Paul’s fate with the Fremen. I can’t say whether that was the result of writing, editing, or holding it until the next movie.

Paul doesn’t want the Jihad to happen, and seeks out a way to avoid it. He eventually sees that it’s inevitable, but before that he sees Jessica as his enemy, because her actions push Paul and the Fremen toward the Jihad, largely because she wants him to use the Fremen to hurt their political enemies.

I want to see the director’s cut so badly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheMadMilkman posted:

I want to see the director’s cut so badly.

I thought Villeneuve famously hated the idea of "extended" and "director" cuts and whatever hits the theater is the final, definitive edition.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

For those of you who haven't read it, Hyperion is organized like The Canterbury Tales and even calls attention to that arrangement in its chapter titles. The frame story is a bunch of "pilgrims" going to visit a semi-mythical time-traveling robot murder machine called The Shrike, each for reasons they would at first prefer to keep private. They tell each other stories about why they are going to the Shrike.

Each pilgrim's tale is a different genre of science fiction. They are:

1. The Priest's Tale - body horror
2. The Soldier's Tale - military scifi
3. The Poet's Tale - man-out-of-time (a man is frozen and wakes up in the future with brain damage)
4. The Scholar's Tale - magical realism
5. The Detective's Tale - cyberpunk noir
6. The Consul's Tale - space opera

It's an incredible achievement. However it's also a novel without an ending, and in my opinion the much shorter sequel doesn't stick the landing.

I should read Hyperion

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought Villeneuve famously hated the idea of "extended" and "director" cuts and whatever hits the theater is the final, definitive edition.

drat! Looks like this is the case with Dune as well: https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/after-jason-momoa-calls-for-a-dune-directors-cut-denis-villeneuve-has-responded

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

WarMECH posted:

Jessica's father is the Barron, that is canon. Mohiam being her mother is failson bullshit and is just 10 levels of stupid.

Its actually from the Dune Encyclopedia and Frank collaborated with the writers of it. Frank gave it his stamp of approval and said it's canon unless he writes something later to contradict it. ironically for this discussion Gaius being Jessica's mom was the one thing he called out as not liking in the encyclopedia.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Ej posted:

There are a couple places her reasoning could naturally fit in. When the reverend mother calls Jessica out on having a son she could simply ask Jessica why she did it.
Jessica, I know it's been 16 years or so, but... what's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Okay I suddenly need to know every single possible bit of information about this.

Just dive in and pick up the Book of the New Sun. You can't read a Gene Wolfe story, you can only reread it. The way he uses word choice and sentence structure was the closest a sci-fi book every made me feel like I did when I read Palefire by Nabokov.

A good example is from IIRC the 3rd volume: the main character is delirious with hunger and thirst. The obscure English words start coming faster and thicker until the reader is as disoriented as the character.