Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can someone explain the plot of season 2 of DISCO for me like I'm a 5 year old?

Bill and Ted in space, without the jokes or sense of fun.

e: Burnham's mum is a S31 scientist who made a time travel suit. The Discovery crew find out that the wearer of the suit is a genetic match for Burnham and assume it's her, so Burnham tries to kill herself as a trap to get the suit wearer to show up to avoid the paradox of being dead in the past. This incredibly dumb plan works out because Burnham's mum shows up for some reason and saves her. Then gets catapulted into the future. But now they can copy the suit design and in the final Michael does a Bill and Ted and lights all of the signals. At some point she gives Spock childhood trauma to give him recurring nightmares of the signals which is how he ends up in the mental hospital. Then they all go into the future for reasons.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Prodigy theory:

The kids and some of the other prisoners - maybe even the bad guy - are descendants of the long-dead original crew of the Protostar.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Prodigy theory:

The kids and some of the other prisoners are descendants of the long-dead original crew of the Protostar.

I think some, but not all

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't you mean "Explaaaain. As you would a chiiiild"?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Prodigy theory:

The kids and some of the other prisoners - maybe even the bad guy - are descendants of the long-dead original crew of the Protostar.

Unless the stuff coming up with Chakotay is taking place in flashback, I'm not sure that's the case. Or there's some timefuckery at play then.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Prodigy theory:

The Protostar appears to be a brand new ship. There's no sign of any personal belongings in the Captain's quarters or the crew bunk area.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

punishedkissinger posted:

that part kinda makes sense. the time travel mom stuff is where i fully dont understand

Sarah Connor tries to solve Skynet via a time machine, fails, John Connor finishes the job with the help of a dyslexic friend

Honestly given the state of the Terminator franchise I'm a little surprised Disco beat them to a thousand-year time jump. Or maybe they did that too, I don't know, Terminator 3 was the last one I watched

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

The first 5 episode of the season was executive produced by people who thought the Red Angel should be an ethereal unknown force with a faith vs science theme.

Kurtzman and Paradise, who took over, thought it was best to wrap everything up with a Section 31 Time Traveling Robot Suit, and punt the show into the future so they don't have to worry about canon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I Am Fowl posted:

I wouldn't read too much into it unless it becomes relevant in a more mainline trek show. Otherwise it implies that the Universal Translator is making a lot of judgement calls with regards to how tone and accent are perceived by the listener, which is a whole can of worms.

The universal translator as shown has always been a bit of a horror show. It doesn't only translate, it also suppresses the original sound of the speakers voice (because tv). Discovery had a cool scene* where the universal translator breaks down for a minute and everyone on the bridge is shouting in different languages, but the thing is they are always shouting in different languages but somehow each person hears everything in their preferred language.

In English we say "the blue car" but in many human languages that would be "the car blue" and the translator has to move words around so they sound natural. However, the universal translator begins translating a sentence before the speaker reaches the end of the sentence, meaning it is using some form of predictive text to get the syntax right.

Obviously both of those are because it is a TV show, and having to wait for the translator constantly would be boring. But the implication is that the translator AI can make you believe people are saying anything it wants. There is no check on that power. Even if you speak the same language a rogue translator could suppress what the other person is actually saying and make you hear something different -- though in that case you'd have a chance to notice their lips don't match their words. Luckily the universal translator has never gone rogue.

*It was also a dumb scene because everyone on the bridge should have learned Federation Standard or whatever, it's crazy that there isn't a standard language especially in that early era. Doubly so since they are mostly humans from earth, and somehow no two of them speak a common language. Universal translator made everyone lazy as hell.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

i dont think this will be a good answer but i like this question as a test of memory:

first, there is something about ash actually being some klingon pervert who had radical altering surgery to become a human sleeper agent, or maybe it was a human who got turned into a klingon and then double turned into a fake-human. anyway, none of that is important and all klingon scenes are hard to watch because the new klingon language is so gross and uncomfortable to hear.

second, they start noticing some weirdass signals, the red angels or whatever they call it and begin investigating, which often leads them into a half-rear end adventure-of-the-day to get a clue or something about it.

third, uhh stammets starts taking over for the worm to use the spore drive but he's traumatized and seeing weird poo poo like his dead partner who actually isn't dead somehow, but it's weird and they feel weird about it for a bit but eventually get back to being a happy couple more or less.

fourth, spock is here because it's spock.

fifth, at some point they meet up with a dying cosmic alien that was basically some kind of galactic recorder being with data on all sorts of everything dating back thousands of years of it's life. in dying it wanted to dump all it's memory files or whatever onto discovery, this is the "sphere data" and it'd be really cool wealth of knowledge (ultimately it ends up in the future with disco crew) but also it's basically a lifeform as well, idk the baby of the space alien or the space alien reborn or a new thing idk.

the red angels things ends up being the main deal, as they are investigating it at some point they become aware of this thing called "Control." the central-franchise-undermining organization section 31 made some kind of AI to detect threats or whatever and the government became somewhat reliant on this AI, until the red signals happened, and i guess that freaked some freaks at section 31 enough to lobby the government to turn all decision-making over to their AI system. There's infinite mysterious strange signals out there, no real reason why this one of all things would've spooked anyone any more than your average one-off space anomaly or crystal entity type cosmos shenanigans.

So at some point, for literally no mentioned reason whatsoever, Control became evil and killed everyone aboard some Section 31 base and then used it's ai powers to make holograms or whatever of everyone so nobody ever noticed something was wrong (umm, did it send these illusions to people's homes, nobody noticed their spouse missing for however long or that they were a fake...?). Control's motivations or goals are never clear, but it becomes interested in DISCO specifically because of the "sphere data" they possess. Control does a lot of rude stuff, like hacking Airam, a cyborg bridge crewmate, she does a sacrifice and they develop that entire character in a montage and kill her off. Apparently Control doesn't even need to hack cyborgs, it can just use nanobots to reanimate the dead so she uses a dead guy to cause more trouble. ultimately control is killed or stopped and the disco crew go into the future so nobody can have the sphere data... but it's kind of unclear why they had to do that part, there was some contrivance, but they defeated Control so presumably they actually probably didn't need to go into the future?

As for the red signals and time travel... jesus. Okay so burnham's birth mother was a super scientist or something and invented some kind of time-travel suit. She was gonna use the suit or did or idk, point is, for some reason, burnham's family home where the time-travel suit was is attacked and maybe her parents die? but secretly, the mom went in the future or somethin. as they are investigating these red signals, i think burnham becomes convinced her mom is sending the signals to them and they need to figure out why. they then start to think it was about Control, a warning or sommat. at some point michael encounters the red angel suit, or like, her mom comes back with it and michael uses the suit to send the signals to herself. like, the signals they were investigating are actually michael luring them to exactly where they needed to go to get all of the random things that let them beat Control.

930 years in the future was where michael's mom lived i guess, and michael needed to go there for the suit or to send signals or some poo poo but i forget why discovery had to or opted to follow her in to some time-travel wormhole. i think maybe her suit was busted or janky and couldn't time travel as much as she wanted. the season ends with discovery going 900 years into the future and everyone pretending none of discovery ever happened in history, as a not subtle hint to the audience.

christ thats long, short version: mean computer wanted to be evil and eat a nice computer and the discovery crew deuced into the future to save the nice computer -- and the day!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

*It was also a dumb scene because everyone on the bridge should have learned Federation Standard or whatever, it's crazy that there isn't a standard language especially in that early era. Doubly so since they are mostly humans from earth, and somehow no two of them speak a common language. Universal translator made everyone lazy as hell.

They do, the translator didn't just stop working, it went haywire and started translating everyone into random languages.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
They never sold me on the spore drive.

if they had it in the 31st century as the new way to travel that was theoretical? okay.

But, you can't tell me they would develop that, and have enough information to actually build it without the federation, the people known for being the most adaptive and quick to out tech everything against them, use it everywhere they could that was reasonable.

No matter the barrier for entry, it just is hard for me to believe

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

didnt the spore drive make the mushrooms sad tho? the federation would never allow that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

They do, the translator didn't just stop working, it went haywire and started translating everyone into random languages.

Man, I really need to get better at watching star trek.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

punishedkissinger posted:

didnt the spore drive make the mushrooms sad tho? the federation would never allow that.

I think that was just because of the Culber thing? Once they pulled him out of mushroom space the mushrooms didn't seem to care anymore

A little like how the Prophets complained about ships going through the wormhole in the DS9 pilot and then never bring it up again

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is the 'Vehicle Replicator' them giving a wink to the infinite shuttles Voyager had?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
torturing the tardigrade was bad and hacky, but when culber took over he wasn't so good at it and they did some danger adventures where he learned to do it more goodlier and they upgraded the stuff for it. i think that's also why nobody else can just jack-in and do it too, might gently caress up the ecosystem or cause the disasters or w/e.

it'll be very weird if they still can't finagle a way to use it on other ships next season. on one hand, instantaneous mass long-distance precise teleportation is pretty OP, but eh ships tend to move at plot speed no matter what anyway.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Delsaber posted:

I think that was just because of the Culber thing? Once they pulled him out of mushroom space the mushrooms didn't seem to care anymore

A little like how the Prophets complained about ships going through the wormhole in the DS9 pilot and then never bring it up again

They were complaining about all the ships that would have passed through in the present, future and past because those are the same to them. They don't bring it up each time someone passes through because all those ships pass through at the same time from their perspective.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

janeway is at all times ready to just watch these idiots die and i'm here for that

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

“I can’t help unless you ask me for help, so enjoy your deaths you prideful children.” (sips coffee)

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Seriously

We must have somehow ended up in a mirror universe because I'm seriously rooting for Holo "I'm the cat in a room full of mice" Janeway mess with Purple Fresh Prince and his sidekicks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

blastron posted:

“I can’t help unless you ask me for help, so enjoy your deaths you prideful children.” (sips coffee)

That's just Q in a holographic Janeway suit.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dal has extreme "look at me" main character syndrome and it's super annoying

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

hiddenriverninja posted:

Dal has extreme "look at me" main character syndrome and it's super annoying

That's how he sees himself and he'll definitely be taken down a peg at some point, that's going to be his character arc.

Gwyn is already having doubt about her father and the lies he told her.

Rok-Tahk is going to gain confidence and try new foods.

Murf is going to eat more and get bigger.

I'm not sure about Zero, but Jankom Pog is perfect already.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
easily my favourite character named after cardboard fads soaked in urban myth poo juice drug

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The new episode of Prodigy has me way more confident in it going forward. Very deliberate they are doing a Wars to Trek arc and while Dal is still annoying as hell I think that's very much on purpose.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
I really like the Prodigy main theme and the whole into sequence is really well done. Feeling positive about the show.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
While Dal does have some real protagonist syndrome going on--I can see where he's coming from with a lot of his actions. Being suspicious and even contrarian towards Holo Janeway makes sense to me when he's a fugitive slave with no prior knowledge of the Federation. The way he talks about how a place like the Federation would give you the hard-sell when it's only good for the powerful is a view that is painfully true to the 21st century. He also has no reason to trust Holo Janeway since they stole the ship and he probably assumes that if Janeway smells something fishy there's some kinda theft protection.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Technowolf posted:

Is the 'Vehicle Replicator' them giving a wink to the infinite shuttles Voyager had?

I think this is a good catch and I think the answer is yes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Khanstant posted:

torturing the tardigrade was bad and hacky, but when culber took over he wasn't so good at it and they did some danger adventures where he learned to do it more goodlier and they upgraded the stuff for it. i think that's also why nobody else can just jack-in and do it too, might gently caress up the ecosystem or cause the disasters or w/e.

it'll be very weird if they still can't finagle a way to use it on other ships next season. on one hand, instantaneous mass long-distance precise teleportation is pretty OP, but eh ships tend to move at plot speed no matter what anyway.

The techno-babble at the time was Stamets gene spliced tardigrade DNA in to himself to be a shroom navigator. Which was super duper illegal after the eugenics wars, and the reason Starfleet didn't persue the drive any further.

But now they're in the future and magically other characters can just do it because discovery writers lol.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

gotta love that they showed all the hero ships for the tv shows (but obviously not a California class because why would you lead with that in your pitch) but too bad we didn't get to see the Enterprise-E

also the phaser banks are using the correct sound effect now so all of my problems with this show have been fixed

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aces High posted:

gotta love that they showed all the hero ships for the tv shows (but obviously not a California class because why would you lead with that in your pitch) but too bad we didn't get to see the Enterprise-E

Interesting it was a classic non-retconnie.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Gwaihir posted:

The techno-babble at the time was Stamets gene spliced tardigrade DNA in to himself to be a shroom navigator. Which was super duper illegal after the eugenics wars, and the reason Starfleet didn't persue the drive any further.

But now they're in the future and magically other characters can just do it because discovery writers lol.

A single other person has been able to do it, and that person has weird nature empath powers which is why they tried it (out of desperation since Stamets wasn’t available) in the first place. It’s very convenient, yes, but it’s not out of the blue.

Presumably 23rd-century Starfleet would eventually have done a bunch of testing to see if there were species who could natively interface with the drive without augmentation, but since they only ever had one working prototype which got classified out of existence they never got the chance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khanstant posted:

So at some point, for literally no mentioned reason whatsoever, Control became evil and killed everyone aboard some Section 31 base and then used it's ai powers to make holograms or whatever of everyone so nobody ever noticed something was wrong (umm, did it send these illusions to people's homes, nobody noticed their spouse missing for however long or that they were a fake...?). Control's motivations or goals are never clear, but it becomes interested in DISCO specifically because of the "sphere data" they possess. Control does a lot of rude stuff, like hacking Airam, a cyborg bridge crewmate, she does a sacrifice and they develop that entire character in a montage and kill her off. Apparently Control doesn't even need to hack cyborgs, it can just use nanobots to reanimate the dead so she uses a dead guy to cause more trouble. ultimately control is killed or stopped and the disco crew go into the future so nobody can have the sphere data... but it's kind of unclear why they had to do that part, there was some contrivance, but they defeated Control so presumably they actually probably didn't need to go into the future?

The entire last episode is just Kurtzman jerking off with special effects. The big battle scene has nothing of tactical merit to it, it's just watching ships fly past going pew-pew and exploding for twenty-odd minutes while someone screams arbitrary shield percentages. They actually identify the ship controlling all the drones... and then promptly ignore it to continue pew-pewing and exploding and shouting shield percentages.

Going into the future is indeed completely needless; The impetus was "we go to the future further than the Control-based timeline where all life is dead so it can never happen" and that's completely unnecessary because they just killed Control, definitively, right now. And clearly had no understanding how to make a hive-mind scary, because it's just apparently all in Leland and he's dead now so we could have a villain with a face to punch.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The entire last episode is just Kurtzman jerking off with special effects. The big battle scene has nothing of tactical merit to it, it's just watching ships fly past going pew-pew and exploding for twenty-odd minutes while someone screams arbitrary shield percentages. They actually identify the ship controlling all the drones... and then promptly ignore it to continue pew-pewing and exploding and shouting shield percentages.

Going into the future is indeed completely needless; The impetus was "we go to the future further than the Control-based timeline where all life is dead so it can never happen" and that's completely unnecessary because they just killed Control, definitively, right now. And clearly had no understanding how to make a hive-mind scary, because it's just apparently all in Leland and he's dead now so we could have a villain with a face to punch.

That battle scene is horrible. Why does the Enterprise have all these tube fighters? Like I always disliked the Peregrine or using runabouts in combat and this is just blatantly trying to be Star Wars in the worst way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eimi posted:

That battle scene is horrible. Why does the Enterprise have all these tube fighters? Like I always disliked the Peregrine or using runabouts in combat and this is just blatantly trying to be Star Wars in the worst way.

"The only reason star trek didn't have this before is because they didn't have the effects technology and now that we have it we have to show something like that or audiences won't find it believable!"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

"The only reason star trek didn't have this before is because they didn't have the effects technology and now that we have it we have to show something like that or audiences won't find it believable!"

Even JJ had the good sense to not do that! And the Konnie actually has a shuttle bay big enough for all those pods unlike the original Connie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What was Controls plan anyway is what drives me the most nuts. As is, say it gets the sphere data, then what? Just hoping it has the hot tricks to defeat the entire galaxy e-z?

If control's motivation was either domination of galaxy or killing it's inhabitants for whatever reasons, then why even start killing and replacing people? Surely the better way to have your power and influence spread would to just be a goodass computer until starfleet and others are casually stuffing Control into everything. THEN stage your takeover once you've already had people willingly reproduce and spread you.

Nobody asked but if I wanted to just nudge it slightly in a better direction, woulda made the Sphere Data more of a character and then had Control succeed in absorbing it but in doing so it just teaches it empathy and being chill, woulda been a one episode affair for Control, few eps of Sphere on the side. Plenty of other conflicts they coulda CG'd out on if they must, and they chose the only nonsense reasons possible to go into the future so anything else there would work. First thought is "oh poo poo this experimental tech we use all the time friggin jammed us into the future w no way back , o well thats how it goes."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Eimi posted:

Seriously this. Action scenes where it's just a bunch of stuff randomly flying around is boring as hell. Same with shaky cam fight scenes. If you can't tell what's happening it's not exciting it's just stuff on screen. There's seriously so many different ways to do exciting action screens with explosions and what not, without making the screen a god drat mess of randomly moving crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Going into the future is indeed completely needless

Tell that to Highlander 2!