Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MariusLecter posted:

Did the driller always have the Horizontal Angle measurements with the drills? That is very useful.

No, it looks like that was a thing someone made a mod for that they decided to put in the game. It's great if you are trying to dig a large flat section and even 1 degree of an angle won't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

BMan posted:

the new hacking thing which I didn't know what I was doing at all,

I've only done this once so far. I think all you're supposed to do is protect the hacker robot near his box? There's some kind of line that goes from his box to the terminal though so maybe you're supposed to do something with that as well.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

My group was doing a Drilldozer mission when we ran into one of the new hacking consoles.

We set up the nodes and activated it. Then a bulk detonator showed up. We killed it, but it died between the probe and the machine, which completely broke the line of site between the nodes.

We tried to rebuild the node path, but once you start the probe there's a nonstop swarm. We ran out of ammo and nitra trying to get the network path rebuilt. We finally decided to activate Molly and run for the pod. I was the only one to make it back, jumping in with about 15% health left.

It was fun and exciting, but I didn't love how the nodes can get displaced with no way to get more once the event starts.

Huh...? I've never had the enemies mess up the network path once it's built. I figured it was set in stone once you connect the hacker to the data deposit, like the refinery pipes. And I've never had a horde come until I activated the hacker.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Diephoon posted:

I've only done this once so far. I think all you're supposed to do is protect the hacker robot near his box? There's some kind of line that goes from his box to the terminal though so maybe you're supposed to do something with that as well.

Find the big machine. Call in the hacking bot. Find the hacking bot / machine. Build a connection back to the big machine using the nodes you can pick up from the hacking bot - a node needs line of sight and to be within the green radius to connect. Once connected, you can summon the robot. Protect it while it hacks and you face regular swarms. Once it's done, it gets recalled and you get the bonus.

I don't know what the bonus is.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thirsty Dog posted:

I don't know what the bonus is.

A data cell, which gives you season XP and unlocks a scrip at the season terminal.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Huh...? I've never had the enemies mess up the network path once it's built. I figured it was set in stone once you connect the hacker to the data deposit, like the refinery pipes. And I've never had a horde come until I activated the hacker.

We activated the probe, then the swarm came. While we were defending it, a bulk detonator showed up near the hacking console, and we killed it about halfway between the console and the probe.

The explosion deformed a lot of terrain. I don't know exactly how the line of sight got broken, but it caused the probe to go offline (but with the swarm still active). The reboot button was no longer available, presumably because there wasn't a signal path to the console anymore.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Data Cell also gives a bit of exp/cash at the end of a mission. However the big reward is event experience/more company scrip. Also the reward of pissing off a competitor and returning everything that isn't bolted down to the spacerig to be sold/processed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
vid about a couple of lok overclocks I like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF5dR4NAEsU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
jet fuel hurricane w/fire mod + volatile bulldog is insanely great also

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Space.
Ball.

We have that now!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

El Fideo posted:

Space.
Ball.

We have that now!

Space Balls, the Gun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I love the new lines for when you try to call the mule on a mission where there is no mule.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
So what's the point of the punchthrough mod for the smart rifle? It locks on to individual targets, you can't really shoot through guys unless you just pop off one shot at a time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the tethers for the lock on aren't just cosmetic they're the actual trajectory of the bullets you gotta bend em like beckham

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

Edit: Although I'm reading into it now and I'm just seeing that the amount they heal is based on the difference in their HP so that might explain some of our frustrations with that particular fight.

yes, when you are fighting the twins you need to call out and coordinate to spread the damage between them. blowing away one and ignoring the other means massive healing through the health balance differential

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

It's lovely because the twins are barely distinguishable

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BMan posted:

It's lovely because the twins are barely distinguishable

one is yellow and red, the other is red and yellow

i don't get the confusion

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i like the LOK already because it makes a great noise

brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbt

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat

WhiteHowler posted:

We activated the probe, then the swarm came. While we were defending it, a bulk detonator showed up near the hacking console, and we killed it about halfway between the console and the probe.

The explosion deformed a lot of terrain. I don't know exactly how the line of sight got broken, but it caused the probe to go offline (but with the swarm still active). The reboot button was no longer available, presumably because there wasn't a signal path to the console anymore.

The one hacking minigame I've done was in a salvage mission in the magma core. As soon as we started the hack, a molten fissure opened up and swallowed the hacking console. We had to dig underneath to get access to it, then make a brand new connection because it was completely out of range of the old one.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Patrolling Hoxxes IV, almost makes you wish for the opposite of bugs or something i dunno I just think the helmet looks like the Mojave ranger gear in Fallout New Vegas.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alternatively...

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Actually that's a point I hadn't considered. I'm assuming they have updated the Megacorp pack for the new weapons, does anyone have any pictures?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I like drilldozer missions just fine but since you're at the mercy of your moving platform, bad seeds are especially bad.

I'd say elimination is my least favorite original mission type. The dreadnaughts are cool the first handful of times you fight them but they're nowhere near as dynamic as the regular bugs can be.

I like point extraction the best.

I don't like elimination because, the actual difficulty of fighting dreads aside, they just feel like damage sponges, and that's not particularly fun. Also,

explosivo posted:

Yeah, since coming back to the game the (new?) fight with the two dreadnaughts has hosed us over more than anything and I think we're just doing those at haz 2 or 1 just to blow through them moving forward.

Edit: Although I'm reading into it now and I'm just seeing that the amount they heal is based on the difference in their HP so that might explain some of our frustrations with that particular fight.

I can't tell the twins apart so they're the most chore-like to fight.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I find the Arbalest seems to stick to ceilings a lot.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I get that the meta is to burn them down at the same time so they don't heal up but even at the best of times you just have to damage the one in front of you and people end up having to resupply multiple times.
God help you if you get twins TWICE in the same run.

Hacked one of the prostpector bots and they just parked themselves by a radioactive crystal. :frogdunce:

e;

truther posted:

I find the Arbalest seems to stick to ceilings a lot.

The yellow one. They spit rocks that will do a glyphid dread stomp where they land after a high pitch whine build up.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
We did a two twin fight with a hiveguard intermission a little bit ago and fuckin wrecked em

I think if you’re playing with people who understand the mechanic of that fight it’s easy enough

I dislike the regular dread the most, now that he’s so fast and tanky (as of the prior major update when they added the other types)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

drat the new gunner weapon is fun, and the more gunners you have with it making explosions the better

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

New weapons are always nice, but when are we going to get cosmetics for Steve? He’s in desperate need of a bowler hat! :argh:

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
Season two where management finally lets us bring Steeves back onto the space rig with us, and we set up a kennel for them underneath the bar.

It's definitely a kennel, and not a literal underground bugfighting ring

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The last like 3 times i've fought the twins they glitched out so that only 1 would attack us at a time so it took for loving ever to kill them both.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Atomizer posted:

I can't tell the twins apart so they're the most chore-like to fight.

arbalest hangs around on ceilings, lacerater sticks to the floor. lacerater is reddish and spits red rocks, arbalest is yellowish and spits yellow rocks. the twins are one of the bugs which you should always try to highlight before shooting for the sake of your team, like the grabber or menace. keep the arbalest lit if possible but both would be good if your team uses their lasers, as they like to burrow and it speeds finding them again after they pop up

all else being equal, shoot the one your teammates aren't shooting until they're both down to about a quarter health then just go fuckin nuts on one of them

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Highliting the twins also makes it easy to tell where they've burrowed to or if they've burrowed through a wall to an adjacent cave

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Anyone else having a way too hard time on the data missions? A team of people who regularly do haz4 and some times 5 wiped repeatedly. The tentacles were loving hitting me as scout mid grapple it was insane. If you stood still for even a second you were dead.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Small bit of historical trivia that might help: an arbalest is a kind of medieval crossbow, and the arbalest is the twin that hangs out in the back and fires at you, while the lacerator gets up in your beard like you might expect. Dodgy colours aside, the names describe the way they attack fairly well, which helps me distinguish them.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Grondoth posted:

So what's the point of the punchthrough mod for the smart rifle? It locks on to individual targets, you can't really shoot through guys unless you just pop off one shot at a time.

You can angle the arc to go through another bug, or you can arc all the way up or down on a bug crawling on a straight vertical wall to hit another bug. It's not the greatest idea for a weapon mod. With the Executioner mod, the hydra rifle shreds oppressors, and I don't even need to move around to flank regular praetorians.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well after I got done playing with goons (at which point most everyone's asleep and I'm not) I decided to promote my Gunner and proceeded to run into Cursed Rock Galactic.

Highlights:
  • Kurzite grinder mission has the very last kurzite fall off the cliff and at least 50 meters down.
  • rookie player joins the same mining expedition as the previous one at the end...and hits the return button right as we finish setting up a chain for HACK-C
  • crash during the return of my last Gunner mission
  • Get pissed, decide to go do Deep Dive instead for a break...lose connection to host/server midway through mission 2
  • Go back to getting last mission...group decides to aggro prospector while the dozer's still active/moving/in a swarm. 2 players follow the prospector, me and 1 other stay with the dozer. Squad wipe.
  • Finally get a good game going for my last promotion mission...aaand...rookie comes in and hits the go button on Mollie while we're setting up for HACK-C
  • oh and now my Engi's ready to promote...
:cripes:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Arghy posted:

Anyone else having a way too hard time on the data missions? A team of people who regularly do haz4 and some times 5 wiped repeatedly. The tentacles were loving hitting me as scout mid grapple it was insane. If you stood still for even a second you were dead.

this event took forever our first go, even for ppl who do haz 5 on the reg. It's like a lesson in the the most basic rule of DRG: never stop firing or those tentacles will reach across the wrong side of the platform to drill into your brain.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, our first time in the data mission was hideous, 2/4 of the party had weapons that did very little damage to robits (cryo driller and neurotoxin thunderhead).

Even at haz three it took us absolutely ages and deaths in the tens for several of us.

The amount of axes that fell out of the caretaker when it died was hilarious.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I really feel that they made the caretaker boss too hard. I've heard lots of weapon mods/OCs just won't work on it, I know fire-trail plasma cutter did nothing: the plasma cutter sliced but the AOE trail did bupkis.

I think they need to tone down the HP/damage of the tentacles a bit, and make the phase bombs take longer to detonate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm really loving the smart rifle and I don't even have any overlocks for it yet. So far its main drawback is that it's too fun to shoot so I empty my whole ammo reserve into huge swarms and then realize that I've barely touched my grenades and breach cutter ammo.