Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jack Trades posted:

Man, imagine if Metroid Prime was playable in VR.

https://youtu.be/1pf7T9txKsM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jack Trades posted:

Man, imagine if Metroid Prime was playable in VR.

It is, there’s a VR version of the Dolphin emulator that was specifically made for playing Metroid Prime in VR. It’s a little janky and hasn’t been updated in years but it’s possible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

njsykora posted:

It is, there’s a VR version of the Dolphin emulator that was specifically made for playing Metroid Prime in VR. It’s a little janky and hasn’t been updated in years but it’s possible.

Unfortunately, without VR controller support I really don't see the point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with this games series? The latest one just came out and was apparently built with VR support from the get go.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1593280/8089_The_Next_Action_RPG/

The graphics look like poo poo, but the store description do sound interesting. I wouldn't mind an ugly but mechanically sound VR RPG.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this games series? The latest one just came out and was apparently built with VR support from the get go.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1593280/8089_The_Next_Action_RPG/

The graphics look like poo poo, but the store description do sound interesting. I wouldn't mind an ugly but mechanically sound VR RPG.

It's not bad, even the older games in the series (and it's a very long-running one) are quite good, but they differ in how much building and mining you can do. The graphics are more or less unchanged over the decade.

Generally it's minecraft without the crafting bit but with arcadey fps and rpg elements. The most enjoyable part is exploring the world once you have a character that can take of themselves.

It's not the first one with VR support either, but I didn't play the last one much in VR. Can take a few hours to figure out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

Unfortunately, without VR controller support I really don't see the point.

Metroid Prime 3 was quite playable with 1--1 VR hand tracking. I think the Wii trilogy versions of 1 and 2 are doable too?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

njsykora posted:

Dolphin VR is better than it has any right to be. Sadly some games are basically unplayable because big flat projections of the screen block your view (allegedly you can remove those in the options but you need to figure out how) but some games like Wind Waker are just perfect. Even the ones that aren't really playable let you take a decent look around at the environment.

There's a VR version of the PSP emulator PPSSPP too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I had absolutely hands down the most terrifying moment of my VR life last night, I legit thought I was going to die, and it was in Walkabout Mini Golf of all things.

Had been playing with some friends for a while, and I guess I drifted off center in my space. At one point, I stepped sideways to move out of the way, and it happened that my foot planted exactly next to the edge of my rug, so I could feel the edge and that it ended but I couldn’t feel anything beyond that. By happenstance, we were playing seagull stacks and right where that lip was, a cliff dropped off.

I’ve never experienced something so visceral in VR in my life. I’ve done the plank experience, the actual sense of hitting the ground going into your legs is something I’m familiar with. This was so far beyond that. My brain bought it hook, line, and sinker. I had to sit down on the floor and break for a minute as I caught my breath from adrenaline and laughing. That was so wild.

Even in VR a part of my brain was immediately screaming, “but we’re in the basement on the floor, this isn’t real”, but at the same time, a much louder part of my brain declared “NOPE THERE IS A CHASM IN THE CEMENT SLAB HERE NOW AND OH YOU CAN’T SEE THE REAL CHASM BECAUSE YOU HAVE THIS HEAD SET ON SHOWING US THE FAKE CHASM, YOU BUFOON, YOU’VE DOOMED US ALL” and then I died

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
All I can picture now is getting the call on a dude that apparently just had a heart attack and fell over dead, strapped into his VR setup, playing virtual golf.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Of course nobody will believe it was a mini golf related incident.

“Stepped off a rug and died.” If it happens, I’ll own it, put it on my grave stone.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

“YOU BUFOON, YOU’VE DOOMED US ALL” and then I died

i've had a very similar experience, except in my case i tripped on my headset's cable into the chasm. legit felt like i was watching myself die in slow motion until i gave the floor a kiss

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You guys are going to start a Flatliners-esque trend of people trying to experience death without dying.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I didn’t know boneworks had a trickshot scene or a Spider-Man mod. Color me doubly impressed.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7026263953122626822

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

njsykora posted:

I've never been able to get DolphinVR to work well. I get a choppy slideshow no matter what, I'm really comfortable with Dolphin generally but just cant get DolphinVR working. Not the world's best hardware but a 5900x/2070s should probably be able to emulate vc OoT even with VR overhead :/

Been getting Morrowind in VR up and running following this guide though and it works a lot better than I expected it to.

Is there some kind of big list of VR ports and mods out there? Other than googling "game name vr mod" for everything I think might be neat in VR?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Man, Risk of Rain 2 VR mod is great but holy poo poo is performance bad in it.
I can handle Alyx at High settings with stable 90 fps but RoR2 won't give me stable 90 fps even on lowest possible settings. Once you hit that teleporter it's reprojection city.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bad Munki posted:

I had absolutely hands down the most terrifying moment of my VR life last night, I legit thought I was going to die, and it was in Walkabout Mini Golf of all things.

Had been playing with some friends for a while, and I guess I drifted off center in my space. At one point, I stepped sideways to move out of the way, and it happened that my foot planted exactly next to the edge of my rug, so I could feel the edge and that it ended but I couldn’t feel anything beyond that. By happenstance, we were playing seagull stacks and right where that lip was, a cliff dropped off.

I’ve never experienced something so visceral in VR in my life. I’ve done the plank experience, the actual sense of hitting the ground going into your legs is something I’m familiar with. This was so far beyond that. My brain bought it hook, line, and sinker. I had to sit down on the floor and break for a minute as I caught my breath from adrenaline and laughing. That was so wild.

Even in VR a part of my brain was immediately screaming, “but we’re in the basement on the floor, this isn’t real”, but at the same time, a much louder part of my brain declared “NOPE THERE IS A CHASM IN THE CEMENT SLAB HERE NOW AND OH YOU CAN’T SEE THE REAL CHASM BECAUSE YOU HAVE THIS HEAD SET ON SHOWING US THE FAKE CHASM, YOU BUFOON, YOU’VE DOOMED US ALL” and then I died

That's amazing. When the stars align, magic happens :sun: (also can't help but notice this experience had little to nothing to do with resolution of displays, FOV, etc.)

King Vidiot posted:

You guys are going to start a Flatliners-esque trend of people trying to experience death without dying.

Holy poo poo I thought the same thing. Except VR flatliners is going to have a much lower barrier of entry while also being harder to take seriously:

RULES OF THE CALL OF THE VOID VR CLUB
  • Do not talk about this VR club! We have unique tastes and the world will not understand!
  • The correct area rug is a must, check our IKEA wishlist for compatible models
  • You must have a copy of Walkabout Mini Golf

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

BrainDance posted:

Is there some kind of big list of VR ports and mods out there? Other than googling "game name vr mod" for everything I think might be neat in VR?
I'd be interested in that too - i've found one or two places like http://www.flat2vr.com <- this discord that seemed to be advertising itself using a youtube video - but it's still fairly dispersed it seems.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's amazing. When the stars align, magic happens :sun: (also can't help but notice this experience had little to nothing to do with resolution of displays, FOV, etc.)

I think the key was the unexpected physical input from outside VR, that happened to align with visual input I’d grown accustomed to. It took something my brain had gotten used to and suddenly cranked the reinforcement up to 11.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BrainDance posted:

This would be cool but it also needs to be filtered to exclude vorpx garbage, which is like 80% of the results you’ll get for google searches on “gamename VR”

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

So my wife and I got a Quest 2 for each other for an early holiday gift, and I found that my video card isn't supported (GeForce 1650). I'm having a ton of fun with Beat Saber and a walkabout mini golf for now, but if I want to play games wired to my PC, am I going to have to upgrade my video card? I've been meaning to, but it's pretty much impossible to find a lot of cards right now.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

MadMadi posted:

So my wife and I got a Quest 2 for each other for an early holiday gift, and I found that my video card isn't supported (GeForce 1650). I'm having a ton of fun with Beat Saber and a walkabout mini golf for now, but if I want to play games wired to my PC, am I going to have to upgrade my video card? I've been meaning to, but it's pretty much impossible to find a lot of cards right now.

Pretty much. You may look into pre-builts with decent cards, that's the only way to do a legitimate card upgrade at this point unless you want to camp websites for cardspawns to be one of the lucky few that snipe them, or pay huge prices.

I've had my case for going on 20 years, completely rebuilding the innards twice, and the pre-builts are looking mighty tempting. Try to get one on Win10 though; Win11 doesn't have much support and even with a good card your performance will suffer in VR as a result.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Somebody needs to make a prebuilt core2duo system with a 3080ti in it because I just need the gpu

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

Pretty much. You may look into pre-builts with decent cards, that's the only way to do a legitimate card upgrade at this point unless you want to camp websites for cardspawns to be one of the lucky few that snipe them, or pay huge prices.

I've had my case for going on 20 years, completely rebuilding the innards twice, and the pre-builts are looking mighty tempting. Try to get one on Win10 though; Win11 doesn't have much support and even with a good card your performance will suffer in VR as a result.

I'll take a look into that! Thanks. I have been building a rebuilding my case for just over a decade myself, but even though I live a mile from Microcenter, I wasn't exactly thrilled at the idea of bothering them daily about video cards.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a nice, beefy computer (3080, Ryzen 7) and just bought a HP Reverb 2.

I've never done VR before but I can't wait any longer. I would prefer an Oculus but gently caress Facebook in all of its versions.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MadMadi posted:

Try to get something at least as powerful as a GTX 1080 Ti. My old GTX 1070 is starting to have trouble with newer VR games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nalin posted:

Try to get something at least as powerful as a GTX 1080 Ti. My old GTX 1070 is starting to have trouble with newer VR games.

A regular 1080 will do you just fine. Mine's been trucking along for ages without any problems with VR games.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So has anybody seen anything about how this new Skyrim update is going to mess with Skyrim VR? I wanted to get back into that soon but the modding was a ton of work and I really don't want to do it all again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A regular 1080 will do you just fine. Mine's been trucking along for ages without any problems with VR games.

I disagree (I have a gtx 1080).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So has anybody seen anything about how this new Skyrim update is going to mess with Skyrim VR? I wanted to get back into that soon but the modding was a ton of work and I really don't want to do it all again.

I looked into Wabbajack which is supposedly easier and the install instructions using that were still like 15 pages long so I just gave up :(

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Somebody needs to make a prebuilt core2duo system with a 3080ti in it because I just need the gpu

I think the pre built vibe is that they're happy to seel you the card if you buy £1500 worth of other stuff with it...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

All that should change is what version of the mod you download for most things. If you follow the Skyrim Modding Guide most of them already indicate to get a specific version of the mod in question. Vortex and Nexus is pretty good about keeping a history of the older versions.

Despite the bitching up-thread, it really is worth it. VRIK/Higgs/enhanced archery makes a really fun playthrough of the game. Spellsiphoning makes a really cool magic-user playthrough of the game and makes you decently powerful enough at the end without having to resort to stupid crap like in the base game.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like I'm forgetting a magic key here - I have GamePass and an Index. Everything is connected and turned on. I launch Tetris Effect from GamePass. It asks if I want VR. I say yes. It launches. Audio goes into the Index, video stays on the screen, but tracking with the headset. Inside the headset it's still sitting on "TetrisEffect-WinGDK-Shipping Next Up" in the spacescape. Stuff launched from Steam works fine. Thoughts?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just to rule out the obvious, but do you need to alt-tab to make sure the game window has focus?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

I disagree (I have a gtx 1080).

The CPU makes a huge difference. I have a 1080 but also run an i9-9900k @ 4.8ghz and can run everything just fine at 120hz.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nocheez posted:

The CPU makes a huge difference. I have a 1080 but also run an i9-9900k @ 4.8ghz and can run everything just fine at 120hz.

I have a 3700x, which isn't that bad.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Hell yeah, my Index is arriving tomorrow. Already have HL: Alyx preloaded and ready to go for my first ever VR experience :getin:.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

Just to rule out the obvious, but do you need to alt-tab to make sure the game window has focus?

Yep, that's how I could make sure the headset was tracking in the app. I remember with American Truck Simulator, sometimes I'd have to hit F8 or F11 to shift things around, but neither seem to be working.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

I have a 3700x, which isn't that bad.

Then you need to sort your poo poo. 1080 is fine for VR.

My 8700k/1080 rig that another kid is using currently was my main streaming rig. It still does VR + LIV just fine. If it can do that, it can play your games just as well if not better.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nocheez posted:

Yep, all the physics calculations are CPU bound, and VR games love their physics. Same applies for games like GTA V where the engine needs to hurl cars, people and debris around, jumping from a 1600 to a 5600X gave me an immediate jump from medium to max settings. I upgraded everything except my GPU at first and it fixed all of my performance issues. The only thing I couldn't do was run the headset at maximum resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I'm thinking about getting a Quest 2 and I have a couple questions.

My available space to move around in is very limited. So I'm pretty much going to have to stick with seated VR and things that don't require much movement. Is it still worthwhile or will that be very limiting for what I can play?

Do I need to get any particular cable to play PCVR or will any USB A to C cable work fine for that?