Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Oh I gotcha! I thought they were on separate frequencies already.

Another question, does Verizon send you an email that they have received your traded in phones? We sent them in but have not been notified if Verizon received them.

I got one.

I got an email from verizon a week or so after i sent the phone saying make sure to send your phone soon or youll lose your credit, then about a week later i got a received email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I received a nice little email from Verizon saying they have not received my trade-in (despite me sending it to them weeks ago) and that my account has been charged back for the credits they applied (the credits in which i was told would not be applied to my account until they had received my device in the first place)

my cursory searching on the web only resulted in finding a bunch of horror stories similar to mine and is leading me to believe that i am completely hosed and will in fact be paying the full retail price for this new phone. i'm livid

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I received a nice little email from Verizon saying they have not received my trade-in (despite me sending it to them weeks ago) and that my account has been charged back for the credits they applied (the credits in which i was told would not be applied to my account until they had received my device in the first place)

my cursory searching on the web only resulted in finding a bunch of horror stories similar to mine and is leading me to believe that i am completely hosed and will in fact be paying the full retail price for this new phone. i'm livid

Def good to be concerned , but they’ll fix it.

Call (800) 392-0717 , option 0. Have the tracking number if you have it. And then just politely ask care to fix it.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Apple states that users that purchase a cellular watch and activate are eligible for $100 Verizon credit. Is this truly a 'new' line only thing or does swapping a current cellular to the upgrade work?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

Apple states that users that purchase a cellular watch and activate are eligible for $100 Verizon credit. Is this truly a 'new' line only thing or does swapping a current cellular to the upgrade work?

New line only, so you would have to cancel your current watch if you have one active. There’s a setup fee of $35 adding a line , so it’s $100 - $35 basically.

I’m on vacation this week, but if you need help adding it after Sunday let me know.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

On the Best Buy website, it said that the trade in for my Pixel 6 Pro could not be damaged, but I thought Verizon was taking anything back that turned on and was not locked via 'Find my phone' or whatever, so I did my purchase without a trade. Can I call VZW Customer Service and get a trade in started after the transaction?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kensei posted:

On the Best Buy website, it said that the trade in for my Pixel 6 Pro could not be damaged, but I thought Verizon was taking anything back that turned on and was not locked via 'Find my phone' or whatever, so I did my purchase without a trade. Can I call VZW Customer Service and get a trade in started after the transaction?

Best Buy trade-in is not Verizon trade-in, is the long and short of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

Maybe? I have no idea if they can honor it from a dealer or if it’s Best Buy that handles it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What is the best method to contact Verizon concerning our trade in? We sent it in 2 weeks after we got our 13 pros. Our tracking number shows that Verizon received it on 10/12 but their system still says that we never sent it in to them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What is the best method to contact Verizon concerning our trade in? We sent it in 2 weeks after we got our 13 pros. Our tracking number shows that Verizon received it on 10/12 but their system still says that we never sent it in to them.

(800) 392-0717 , option 0 or say cancel.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Does the Google store Verizon pixel come with their bloatware installed?

I want to finally escape Samsung phones and Verizon bloat, but the unlocked pixel doesn't support mm wave on Verizon, apparently. That's not really a huge deal but still.

e: for that matter, does the Verizon store pixel come with their bloatware?

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 7, 2021

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

As far as I remember, the Verizon one I have (from Verizon) only had Messages+ and My Verizon preloaded. Messages+ was installed on the user partition, so it was removable. I actually use My Verizon, so I didn't bother to try.

But even if it's installed on the system partition (Facebook on Samsung, anyone?) you can disable it, which is pretty much the same thing.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

update: I kept kicking the can down the road and then got an email last night saying they had received and processed my trade-in at full value. hope everyone else has the same experience!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

(800) 392-0717 , option 0 or say cancel.

Thanks for the number. Called and while I was on the line for 30 minutes, they got it taken care of. Our phones were received and had even been approved of but the system apparently would not add the trade in promo to our account. 30 minutes later and it was corrected.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Do y'all think the Samsung S21 ultra will go down in price when the S22 is announced or some poo poo?

And uh, do y'all know when that might be?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Do y'all think the Samsung S21 ultra will go down in price when the S22 is announced or some poo poo?

And uh, do y'all know when that might be?

February to April. Def not 2021.

Also, especially if you have a phone to trade in, best bet is jumping on a launch promo for the new phone versus just taking the $100 or whatever off the old phone.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, I'd have thought the Pixel 6 Pro would've been a bigger destabilizing element for the high-end.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, I'd have thought the Pixel 6 Pro would've been a bigger destabilizing element for the high-end.

The pixel 6 series looks great, but only nerds buy the Google phones.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Hey speaking of the Pixel 6 on Verizon, I think my sim card is from my Nexus 6? Maybe older? Does the physical sim card make a difference in 4g connectivity or speed? I know actual 5g is different (though my phone will show the 5g symbol with this sim card). I don't seem to have any issues, but I didn't know if there's a compelling reason to go to the corporate store and get a new, fresh sim card.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Alarbus posted:

Hey speaking of the Pixel 6 on Verizon, I think my sim card is from my Nexus 6? Maybe older? Does the physical sim card make a difference in 4g connectivity or speed? I know actual 5g is different (though my phone will show the 5g symbol with this sim card). I don't seem to have any issues, but I didn't know if there's a compelling reason to go to the corporate store and get a new, fresh sim card.

It'll show a 5G symbol but that's Verizon's "4GE" connection. "5GUW" is what it'd say for Verizon's bespoke block-ranged Super 5G.

I had that problem when I went from the OG Pixel XL to the Pixel 5. I only went out of my way for the 5GUW-capable SIM card because I'm technically paying for it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

In good news, I called Verizon customer support yesterday and the person I spoke to removed both activation fees; I also called about being charged twice for 5G access, which he chalked up to an error with the system that produces bill estimates. The moral of the story is that buying a phone through a Costco kiosk is not worth the trouble.

Annoyingly, the trade-in website threw up a generic error at the last step despite the CSR's best efforts and bringing in someone from IT. The plan is to issue me the non-promo $159 credit and then adjust it to $800 once they receive the phone. :ohdear: For a 1 hr 40 min call though, it was extremely pleasant.
Another positive experience with Verizon CSR. I emailed the guy to have my non-promo trade-in credit adjusted but he never got back to me, which is fine since that isn't part of the normal process. I just called in and they were able to apply the credit in a call that took less than 20 minutes. Honestly, this is the best customer experience I've had with a wireless carrier.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So the Verizon 5G UW kinda kicks rear end.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

So the Verizon 5G UW kinda kicks rear end.

I don’t get it on my plan , and I’ve been tempted to add it for $5, but like, I’m just not downtown enough where it’s worth it.

Curious when C Band rolls out, rumors are first half of 2022 , but huge grain of salt with that (C Band is mid band).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I basically got it free on all my lines by switching to the Verizon Visa for my auto pay. I usually get the regular 5G, which I think still runs over LTE, which has been fine.

That's the first time I've got the UW.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
How is the battery life on the iPhone 12 mini for you all on Verizon? Still haven’t decided if I want to get my other two kids phones for Christmas (and if I do, I’m shooting you a PM Duckman), but Verizon has a deal for them free with new lines. I figure my kids would just be thrilled to have an iPhone but don’t want to invite problems if they exist.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

How is the battery life on the iPhone 12 mini for you all on Verizon? Still haven’t decided if I want to get my other two kids phones for Christmas (and if I do, I’m shooting you a PM Duckman), but Verizon has a deal for them free with new lines. I figure my kids would just be thrilled to have an iPhone but don’t want to invite problems if they exist.

12 Mini has reviews of smaller battery life. Great otherwise, and I don’t think it’s like , not usable, but def something they would likely just get in the habit of charging like, at some point during the day.

Interested in the regular iPhone 12? If so, PM me, tomorrow (cyber Monday) may be a good day to get the regular iPhone 12.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

12 Mini has reviews of smaller battery life. Great otherwise, and I don’t think it’s like , not usable, but def something they would likely just get in the habit of charging like, at some point during the day.

Interested in the regular iPhone 12? If so, PM me, tomorrow (cyber Monday) may be a good day to get the regular iPhone 12.

Possibly so, PM sent, thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
As always, Duckman hooked us up, and we now have two new phones and lines for the kids. What have I done....... ;)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What I currently have after leaving the company that has paid for my cell phone with it was a Nokia I just played Snake on when this website was new:
Wife's cell, my cell, 1 mifi hotspot with 15gb per month.
Now that I have the hotspot as a backup for streaming video jobs, I really don't need much data or even good reception in my phone. Would it make sense to get some cheap service like Mint for my phone and just keep the mifi and wife's line on Verizon? Just seems like a lot to pay for a phone that's always around wifi anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

What I currently have after leaving the company that has paid for my cell phone with it was a Nokia I just played Snake on when this website was new:
Wife's cell, my cell, 1 mifi hotspot with 15gb per month.
Now that I have the hotspot as a backup for streaming video jobs, I really don't need much data or even good reception in my phone. Would it make sense to get some cheap service like Mint for my phone and just keep the mifi and wife's line on Verizon? Just seems like a lot to pay for a phone that's always around wifi anyway.

I mean, sure. It’s always just price versus convenience.

Like, you could theoretically just get google voice for free and literally just use the hotspot. I’m not recommending it, but there are ways to bury rig stuff to get cheap.

If you get something cheap, worst case if you don’t like it just switch back.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Another positive experience with Verizon CSR. I emailed the guy to have my non-promo trade-in credit adjusted but he never got back to me, which is fine since that isn't part of the normal process. I just called in and they were able to apply the credit in a call that took less than 20 minutes. Honestly, this is the best customer experience I've had with a wireless carrier.

You must keep getting lucky. In the last 2 activations, the 'current promo' has only been able to cut the 2 phones by 50%, so essentially waiving one fee.

Duckman, I'll send you a PM re: my Apple Watch. Thanks for the help.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EconOutlines posted:

You must keep getting lucky. In the last 2 activations, the 'current promo' has only been able to cut the 2 phones by 50%, so essentially waiving one fee.

Duckman, I'll send you a PM re: my Apple Watch. Thanks for the help.
I traded in my iPhone XS during the iPhone 13 launch. All the carriers were offering $800 for that model so maybe that helped cut through the red tape.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Dropping in to thank Duckman for all of his help with my watch activation. Solid dude as well. :)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Just to follow up from my previous post, turns out the hotspot was not set up as described, and when my phone got transferred to my wife's account it reverted back to some grandfathered plan that it wasn't even still on, which explains why the website refused to give me any details about it. Speaking to an actual representative cleared everything up, now all devices share 10gb.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks for the number. Called and while I was on the line for 30 minutes, they got it taken care of. Our phones were received and had even been approved of but the system apparently would not add the trade in promo to our account. 30 minutes later and it was corrected.

Why must Verizon hurt me so much?!?!?

Got an email today say that our phones were received and our bill was updated but “due to our phones not being turned in during the proper trade in time, we will receive only $137 per phone instead of $800”

Looks like I will have to call them again and hopefully get it taken care of. They have call centers open on Saturdays, right?

Edit: Called tonight and I can say that the CSRs are always so nice. They showed my wife’s phone as getting the $800 but mine did not. I worked it through with a lady and she said that she manually changed my trade in value from $137 to $1,000 (she bumped up my $800 trade in value for all the trouble). Because we have paid 4 months without the credit they are throwing the credit on all of the next month’s bill so our next bill is only going to be $67.

We will have to keep an eye on the bills over the next month but hopefully, it is fixed now.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 4, 2021

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Looking at my Verizon bill, I think something is screwy.

I'm paying $80/month for my line which has "Play More Unlimited 5G UW" and $70/month for my wife's line which has "Start Unlimited"

According to the "plans" page - with two lines, those plans should be $70/month and $60/month, which overall is $20 less than what I'm paying.

The only reason I can think of for this would be if the discount for multiple lines means that all lines need to be on the same plan? If that is the case, then I should change my wife's plan to "Play More Unlimited 5G UW" (even though she doesn't have a 5G phone), which would make both of our lines $70/month and overall save me $10/month. Is that the case here?

Also, I see on my bill that I'm being charged $10/month for "5G Ultra Wideband Access" and then also getting a corresponding $10/month credit for 5G. What's the deal with that? I thought 5G was included on my overall plan. It doesn't really matter because it's not costing me anything right now, but I'm worried that credit is going to magically disappear one day and I won't notice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Looking at my Verizon bill, I think something is screwy.

I'm paying $80/month for my line which has "Play More Unlimited 5G UW" and $70/month for my wife's line which has "Start Unlimited"

According to the "plans" page - with two lines, those plans should be $70/month and $60/month, which overall is $20 less than what I'm paying.

The only reason I can think of for this would be if the discount for multiple lines means that all lines need to be on the same plan? If that is the case, then I should change my wife's plan to "Play More Unlimited 5G UW" (even though she doesn't have a 5G phone), which would make both of our lines $70/month and overall save me $10/month. Is that the case here?

Also, I see on my bill that I'm being charged $10/month for "5G Ultra Wideband Access" and then also getting a corresponding $10/month credit for 5G. What's the deal with that? I thought 5G was included on my overall plan. It doesn't really matter because it's not costing me anything right now, but I'm worried that credit is going to magically disappear one day and I won't notice.

The 5G ultra wide credit won’t go away.

Also, your issue is simple: the lines are $70 and $60 if you do autopay with a debit card. If you are doing it with a credit card you don’t get the discount.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ah, ok. That's where I was confused. I didn't realize the AutoPay discount was included in those prices. Well I just signed up for the Verizon Visa so I should be good with that going forward. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ah, ok. That's where I was confused. I didn't realize the AutoPay discount was included in those prices. Well I just signed up for the Verizon Visa so I should be good with that going forward. Thanks!

Totally. Reminder if you happen to be military, first responder , teacher, nurse or student you can get an extra discount there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Hey Duckman,

What's the current options for a data-only BYOD setup?