Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A Kylo Ren frontman having tantrums would be a fun change from the stone cold confident S1 frontman.

"Unstable manchild with terrifying power" is a fun character, Kylo Ren got wasted, cast Adam Driver as frontman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Adding an emotionally stunted character with affluenza would easily fit the themes of the show.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So there are a few spoilers on the first page of this thread that are unmarked, but still comment on the ending being good or bad or not giving closure. That’s frustrating.

Second, it’s sad that most Americans school children can conceive of dying at recess.

Third, it’s gotta be fun to be in the squid season two writer’s room, to ask the creator about the dozens of ideas he almost went with. Whenever I talk to show runners, there’s always a story about something that was almost ruined by editing, forbidden by the censors, or physically impossible to execute.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Welcome to the American squid games. The first game is called, machine-gun Kindergarten

"We used to have school shootings all the time when I was young... I was pretty good at it, too..."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The weird thing about squid game and other shows that are released all at once is they seem to go super flash in the pan. Same with stuff like cobra kai.

I kind of like how netflix releases stuff like snowpiercer one at a time, though that might have to do with the tv contract

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it was a complete surprise hit. I guarantee season 2 will be released weekly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Disney+ is probably the only other streamer whose original shows see as much excitement as Netflix and they ride those episodic releases for all it’s worth.

A Squid Game’s alternate universe where we’re only on episode 6 would be going bananas right now.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Krispy Wafer posted:

Disney+ is probably the only other streamer whose original shows see as much excitement as Netflix and they ride those episodic releases for all it’s worth.

A Squid Game’s alternate universe where we’re only on episode 6 would be going bananas right now.

That’s a good point. Not doing episodic release is obviously a business decision, I guess they figure more people want it all at once

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The first tv show I've sat and watched 9 episodes in a row since lost

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Only seen like 5 minutes of the first episode of Lost. What was it about, and how does it compare to Squid Game?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Double post: anyone have thoughts on the season 2 trailer?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

YoursTruly posted:

Only seen like 5 minutes of the first episode of Lost. What was it about, and how does it compare to Squid Game?

Lost was a giant Ponzi scheme of mysteries that they never ended up explaining

Lost was basically your dad telling you all the awesome things he was going to do for you one day, like take you to Disneyland, pay for your college, play ball with you, get you a dog. And then one day your dad died and was never able to fulfill any of those promises

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

YoursTruly posted:

Double post: anyone have thoughts on the season 2 trailer?

As far as I know all season two trailers are fan made

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
So "Lost" as a show to its viewers is like Gi-hun to his daughter. Got it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lost had too many episodes but there's still a solid ~20 hours of great tv in there somewhere. I still think about episodes like The Constant or the season 3 finale. Those might be in the all-time greats.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

YoursTruly posted:

Nominally, LOST is about a bunch of people who crash land on a weird-as-poo poo island in the pacific who begin to play out a story of science vs. faith before discovering that the island they're on has been at the center of that same struggle for centuries, if not longer.

It's a really good show, but the way it answers its questions is to give you the answer to a huge question from two seasons ago in a background detail in an episode about something completely different, have none of the characters learn that answer, then replace that question with five more.

It ultimately answers all but two of it s biggest questions, but it does so in such a way that people still think the show took place in purgatory, which it emphatically did not to the point that a character literally says so in the finale.

Binge it with a partner. You'll love the character dynamics which basically never falter and you can be frustrated by the bananas ADD the mystery plot gets at times together.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah Lost was introduced and marketed as a mystery puzzle-solver show but the writers intended for it to be a character driven show and used the mysteries as a way to build on that, not focusing on how neatly they wrapped it all up.

On top of that it gets hosed by being a network show, having to produce an insane amount of episodes, and having a season during the writers strike. If you want to watch something that has the same spirit but is much more refined then checkout The Leftovers. Season 1 is more of a straight adaptation and can be rough but season 2 is probably my favorite season of any TV show and season 3 is of the same caliber with an incredible finale.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Dave posted:

Yeah Lost was introduced and marketed as a mystery puzzle-solver show but the writers intended for it to be a character driven show and used the mysteries as a way to build on that, not focusing on how neatly they wrapped it all up.

On top of that it gets hosed by being a network show, having to produce an insane amount of episodes, and having a season during the writers strike. If you want to watch something that has the same spirit but is much more refined then checkout The Leftovers. Season 1 is more of a straight adaptation and can be rough but season 2 is probably my favorite season of any TV show and season 3 is of the same caliber with an incredible finale.
Seconding this recommendation.
I consider The Leftovers my favorite show of all time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Seconding this recommendation.
I consider The Leftovers my favorite show of all time.

The leftovers is so so fuckin good.

It’s a good 3 seasons.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I absolutely loved The Leftovers. It's great to find someone IRL who has also seen it, but it's quite rare. Now that was a drat show that knew when to end.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Inner Light posted:

I absolutely loved The Leftovers. It's great to find someone IRL who has also seen it, but it's quite rare. Now that was a drat show that knew when to end.

I got into it this past year, which given the themes and plot of the show was maybe the best time to do so.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i hope future seasons of squid game go the way of the saw sequels where the story makes no sense and the entire series just exists to have a bunch of hosed up games tbh. except better than the saw sequels.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Saw as a movie series works like serial tv does, so that tracks. The Purge series works the same way. Could be on to something

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

i hope future seasons of squid game go the way of the saw sequels where the story makes no sense and the entire series just exists to have a bunch of hosed up games tbh. except better than the saw sequels.

Season 2 ends with the reveal that Gi Hun allied with the Front Man and is participating in the games as a double agent to screw the participants
Season 3 ends with the reveal that Ali is alive and has been helping organize the Squid Games since they started
Season 4 takes place at the same time as season 2
Season 5 ends with the Recruiter going on a killing spree and killing most of the major characters, effectively winning and further seasons having no point to exist
Season 6 introduces a bunch of new disposable characters that will die by the end of the season. Also cameo by the rock band of the moment
Season 7 will be in 3D

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 8, 2021

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
When the series gets rebooted in 20 years, Gi-hun's daughter and Ali's kid end up in the squid games together leading opposing factions.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1457497438474981384

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

God there are toddlers with more restraint.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
When toddlers behave badly they actually face punishment.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Squid game dragging on for multiple seasons for netflix to make extra money would be extremely on point

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

ilmucche posted:

Squid game dragging on for multiple seasons for netflix to make extra money would be extremely on point

Considering how quickly Netflix cancels so many series, I would believe it if the director said the show was based on their business model.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s usually 3 and then :thermidor:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is this true? Was the reception of "Squid Game" in Korea mixed as opposed to the gleaming positive reception it has gotten everywhere else?

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/11/squid-game-netflix-south-korean-reactions

Or is Vanity Fair just doing clickbait?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

It’s usually 3 and then :thermidor:

That was Nickelodeon's model also, except for them it was because teen actors aren't usually teens anymore after 3 seasons.

Maybe Netflix's algorithm concluded that bingeing has diminishing returns for any show over 30 episodes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Krispy Wafer posted:

That was Nickelodeon's model also, except for them it was because teen actors aren't usually teens anymore after 3 seasons.

Maybe Netflix's algorithm concluded that bingeing has diminishing returns for any show over 30 episodes.

It's because after the 3rd seasons the actors and creators start asking for more money and Netflix is like, um no gently caress outta here.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it was a complete surprise hit. I guarantee season 2 will be released weekly.

In the US netflix virtually never does that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Dave posted:

Lost was at its best when it was about a big group of people living on a beach together, interacting with each other, trying to survive and slowly working out what the hell is going on. When they killed off all the extras (ie the community they lived in) and everyone split off into smaller groups to engage in "the plot" it lost most of its appeal to me. There's a very clear divide between the first three seasons and the last three.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't Netflix itself producing and distributing it? They only ever release shows weekly if someone else is making it but they got the distribution rights in certain territories (because they physically can't release them all at once unless they wait for the whole season to be out in its country of origin).

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Finally got around to watching this over the holiday weekend.

re: Front Man
I honestly thought it was going to be Gi-hun's daughter's stepdad. Once he spoke over the phone in English, I tied together the fact that said guy was fluent in English as well as Korean & at least somewhat well-off financially & moving to America within the next year and therefore the horror reveal would've been that Gi-hun's ex-wife and daughter are under the thumb of a psychopath running these games that's about to export the concept to other countries.

Final game:
I was terrified that the grand finale was going to tie in the cop storyline by having them bust in after the final game, juxtaposing the comfort that 'this won't happen again' with costing Gi-hun his winnings & his ability to care for anybody left behind like he promised, meaning everyone died for nothing.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

oldskool posted:

the horror reveal would've been that Gi-hun's ex-wife and daughter are under the thumb of a psychopath running these games that's about to export the concept to other countries.
or he's genuinely a good husband and father like some real life war criminals. really drive home the banality of evil and how easy it is to compartmentalize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Lost was pure loving magic for the longest time, it was only on the last couple of seasons where the writers backed themselves into a corner that it fell apart a little. You can safely ignore the very last season and it's a good enough sendoff.