Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
more land for me

(also i have the unique escape hatch of being a radio dork so as long as some other geezers are on the air i can have some social interaction and tech tinkering without being Jacked Into The God drat Internet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Chris Knight posted:

one! one use case! ah ah ah!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

the biggest thing is that shitloads of people have been tricked in to thinking that stuff is invented because of money and without soul crushing work nothing would ever be done again. im a scientist and i spend a shitload of my non-work time messing around with stuff and making new things because im curious and i like figuring out how stuff works/making things. if you told me 'hey you don't ever have to work again' i wouldn't be sitting around doing nothing, i'd be doing the same stuff and getting way more done because i wouldn't have some exec telling me that actually what i'm working on and is 99% done isn't economically viable anymore and it's time to start another thing.

i've talked to people that seriously think that with out huge monetary rewards no one would ever invent anything or spend time trying to make things better for people and it blows my mind. and besides, the people discovering that poo poo aren't the ones that are making money from it anyway, they're just there because they have to be to survive.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

more land for me

and them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
am i supposed to be scared of coiners or something

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

depends on how close to a coast you live and how well you can swim i suppose

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

no but big sky bitcoiners trying to make yet another blockchain town are at least cyberpunk related

maybe fewer bears this time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sexual Lorax posted:

depends on how close to a coast you live and how well you can swim i suppose

i will be dead by 2035 im not soooooper concerned (also quite well)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm not a millionaire so i don't get to live on a coast

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

the hedge against famine is long term food storage which usually means freezing/freeze-drying, preservatives, canning, or something like that. most of which require at least some level of technology

canning is preindustrial as is salt and smoke curing. Long term food storage has been a solved problem for some time now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm not a millionaire so i don't get to live on a coast

i'm not a millionaire either. not even close. there's a lot more coast than "san francisco, los angeles, nyc"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes but i need to buy a house cash so unless i'm a millionaire it aint gonna happen

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

or just wait for your credit to clear. "i can't do something right this minute" is not the same as "i cannot ever do something or plan to do it"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i've talked to people that seriously think that with out huge monetary rewards no one would ever invent anything or spend time trying to make things better for people

rich people set the discourse. in the same way that society has to pretend that the stock market is important because rich people think it is, we must pretend that the only social driving force is making or spending money because that's what rich people believe. after all, they wouldn't do anything to help anyone else unless it was going to make them a lot of money.

the richest person i know is also the absolute cheapest stingiest miser, to the point where he actively dislikes universally pleasant experiences like going to a fancy restaurant for dinner, because while he's there he (apparently) can't feel anything but the pain of number going down.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i've known plenty of rich people and they were all cheap as gently caress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

or just wait for your credit to clear. "i can't do something right this minute" is not the same as "i cannot ever do something or plan to do it"

i mean, yes, in 2025, if i still have my low six fig job, and i haven't stroked out, i can go try to get a mortgage on a house that at that time will be 1.7 million dollars which means that i won't qualify for it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've been patient and have been living very lean for the past four years and have a year of income in the bank and another half year vested and another year unvested, and it won't mean a _god drat thing_ by the time i'm able to get anything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a friend whose dad is an 8 figgy fuckoid. i remember the summer before we started college going with the two of them to buy random dorm room supplies (at wal-mart, of course). my friend put a pack of mach 3 razor blades in the cart. his dad started haranguing him about how expensive they were, these are a ripoff for stupid people, why can't you use these knockoff bic disposables instead, etc. my friend had really bad acne at the time, and said the mach 3 blades didn't hurt his face when he shaved like the cheap ones do. his dad blew him off, said he'd been using these cheap ones for years, you don't need anything fancier than that, we're not getting those other ones they're a waste of money. and that was that.

absolutely sick

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i have a friend whose dad is an 8 figgy fuckoid. i remember the summer before we started college going with the two of them to buy random dorm room supplies (at wal-mart, of course). my friend put a pack of mach 3 razor blades in the cart. his dad started haranguing him about how expensive they were, these are a ripoff for stupid people, why can't you use these knockoff bic disposables instead, etc. my friend had really bad acne at the time, and said the mach 3 blades didn't hurt his face when he shaved like the cheap ones do. his dad blew him off, said he'd been using these cheap ones for years, you don't need anything fancier than that, we're not getting those other ones they're a waste of money. and that was that.

absolutely sick

not that i'm a figgie fucker, but this is me:

$3,000 motorcycle: hey sure looks good heres a stack of money
$6.79 USB cable 3-pack: let me spend an hour seeing if i can find these for $5.99

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i've been patient and have been living very lean for the past four years and have a year of income in the bank and another half year vested and another year unvested, and it won't mean a _god drat thing_ by the time i'm able to get anything.

gently caress. i sure hope you're wrong but i see where you're coming from better now. sorry if i was coming on too strong

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no its fine you know ilu. its just that despite me putting the finance machine to warp 7, we'll need warp 8 to secure a place to retire and grow old in, and it's frustrating.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
new mavic just dropped

4/3 and 45 mins run time on a buzzing hatebox for roughly one paycheck

kinda want it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jonny 290 posted:

new mavic just dropped

4/3 and 45 mins run time on a buzzing hatebox for roughly one paycheck

kinda want it

i have been waiting

now i just need a FAA license

how does babby get

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/scattermoon/status/1456559932069789715?s=20

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will never understand the insane appeal of travis scott he sounds exactly like 1000 other autotune dudes but I am an old so this is the natural order of things

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
how often do you get to go to a concert by a fortnite character irl

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

how often do you get to go to a concert by a fortnite character irl

yeah it's been a while since apollo smile stopped touring.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/arictoler/status/1457011084515332104

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

i have been waiting

now i just need a FAA license

how does babby get

you gota register the drone and do a 20 min cert course. if you plan on using it commercially then you also got do the part 107 stuff

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone/
https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/knowledge_test_updates/
https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

canning is preindustrial as is salt and smoke curing. Long term food storage has been a solved problem for some time now.
the can opener was invented a fair number of years after canning. you must have been so stoked for that huh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iirc before the can opener was invented, standard methods of opening canned food were chopping the top off with an axe or shooting it with a gun.

you probably didn't have any other choice anyway because those early cans were made from eighth inch thick tin-plated wrought iron and the lids were soldered on.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i meant canning like in mason jars you oaves

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

i meant canning like in mason jars you oaves

Achmed Jones posted:

like you want to can reasonably? hope you got some industrialized jar production otherwise you're gonna be doing it in clay pots which, let's say, might not work as reliably. not impossible by any means (witness every culture having fermented/pickled dishes forever) but ya feel me

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
https://mobile.twitter.com/superloafcat/status/1456964863473995787

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

iirc before the can opener was invented, standard methods of opening canned food were chopping the top off with an axe or shooting it with a gun.

you probably didn't have any other choice anyway because those early cans were made from eighth inch thick tin-plated wrought iron and the lids were soldered on.

tin canning in its early days used lead solder, too, which was a hell of a time for navel ships with long ration use

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so like my deal is not "we should ban all knowledge from after the 13th century" it's just that we should deindustrialize where possible. Yeah, ceramic pots will not have the multi-year shelf lives that glass & metal jars do, but you can make them easily and they'll keep your poo poo for a year plus.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

there's good arguments for preserving industrial capacity but they're mostly medical. Food storage? We have a pretty good handle on that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

i think they also did hammer and chisel but yeah. apparently those old cans were a real gently caress to open particularly on cold weather expeditions. if you were especially unlucky you'd slip and hurt yourself in often fatal ways in isolated places like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

so like my deal is not "we should ban all knowledge from after the 13th century" it's just that we should deindustrialize where possible. Yeah, ceramic pots will not have the multi-year shelf lives that glass & metal jars do, but you can make them easily and they'll keep your poo poo for a year plus.

we're on the same side i think. i'm not gonna die on the "no seriously we gotta keep industrialized glass jars" hill cause while i think it's true the real point is maybe pulling back on the stuff that doesn't fuckin matter. and we can all agree that funkopops don't matter, insulin does, and the stuff in the middle well it's not exactly a pressing question