Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Quadralaska is where its at.

(Inception foghorn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://lileks.com/30s/housewives1937/index.html

In the 1930s Kelloggs put out a housewifes handbook with an almanac of important dates. These important dates include when an earthquake hit Italy in 1915 that I'm sure no one outside of Italy remembers anymore and births and deaths of long forgotten famous people.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone still call psychologists "shrinks"? It felt like it was the default term in media in the 90s, but it always sounded pretty dumb and affected, and I have no idea where it came from.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone still call psychologists "shrinks"? It felt like it was the default term in media in the 90s, but it always sounded pretty dumb and affected, and I have no idea where it came from.

It's short for "head shrinker."

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

The Moon Monster posted:

Everyone I've ever known who refuses to go to therapy despite them needing it desperately still uses this term. I've heard it within the past 5 years.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

My shrink calls himself a shrink. He is in his late 50s.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
A generation of children have growing up without knowing the sounds of random car alarms going off at all times of day, all summer long.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cobalt-60 posted:

A generation of children have growing up without knowing the sounds of random car alarms going off at all times of day, all summer long.

Where do you live, and how can I move there?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Maybe it's because now you can hear it in all four seasons?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Violet_Sky posted:

http://lileks.com/30s/housewives1937/index.html

In the 1930s Kelloggs put out a housewifes handbook with an almanac of important dates. These important dates include when an earthquake hit Italy in 1915 that I'm sure no one outside of Italy remembers anymore and births and deaths of long forgotten famous people.

Why were people's bowels so hosed up back in the day? People still get constipated but old timey advertising seems to be disproportionately geared towards people who are having trouble taking a crap.

And think about how much effort went into these letters. These people didn't just at Kellogs on Twitter, they put pen to paper and wrote this out by hand. Then they neatly folded it, stuffed it in an envelope, sealed it, addressed it (I guess they got the address off the box?) put stamps on it, and put it in a mail box. All to tell a corporation that it's product makes them poop.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There was a widely held, both by doctors and laymen, belief, that it was vital to the body's health to be "regular", which meant precisely one bowel movement every day. If you were having fewer, your bowels weren't "open", and it was believed that too much feces stocked up in the colon were making you sick. If you look at public-health ads from the great flu of 1918, they all mention "keeping your bowels open" as one of the things you could do to avoid getting flu. This belief lasted a long time; there were multiple laxative ads on prime-time TV as late as the 1970s.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Also the fact that it was hard to come by a variety of fresh produce all year.

We still have plenty of poop ads, though. Metamucil/etc. ads are on channels that target olds, but I feel like yogurt commercials are nonstop.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yogurt is a laxative?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It is if you're brave enough.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yogurt is a laxative?

The focus switched to gut health via probiotics, and the entire marketing strategy of Activia yogurt for example was based on that, one of many.
Not a different concept, just different words. This was a staple of the early 2010's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2aUGCy5FeE

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Well we all know Kirk Johnson is pretty much master level of keeping his bowels open.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The podcast "Brought to you by" (formerly known as "Household Name" had a pretty good episode detailing the lifelong feud between the Kellogg brothers, one a physician promoting regularity, and the other a self-taught businessman, and how their disagreements came to be regarding how to promote the cereal.
https://www.stitcher.com/show/household-name/episode/61-kellogg-v-kellogg-79841004

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Weren't they also eugenicists?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Nearly everyone in pop science at the turn of the century was. Some ideas are tempting.

And I haven't heard a car alarm in over a decade; guess I'm out of touch.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There was a widely held, both by doctors and laymen, belief, that it was vital to the body's health to be "regular", which meant precisely one bowel movement every day. If you were having fewer, your bowels weren't "open", and it was believed that too much feces stocked up in the colon were making you sick. If you look at public-health ads from the great flu of 1918, they all mention "keeping your bowels open" as one of the things you could do to avoid getting flu. This belief lasted a long time; there were multiple laxative ads on prime-time TV as late as the 1970s.

Much like Quicksand, as a kid I grew up thinking constipation and indigestion was going to be a regular obstacle I would encounter later in life because of all the Ex-lax and Alka-Seltzer commercials in the 70s and 80s

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt constipation and indigestion a common side effect of coke and other certain drugs?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

isnt constipation and indigestion a common side effect of coke and other certain drugs?

Opiates mostly. The muscles responsible for peristalsis stop being so lively.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The Lone Badger posted:

That's the reason you see John Travolta's character on the toilet so much in Pulp Fiction.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

SpelledBackwards posted:

That's the reason you see John Travolta's character on the toilet so much in Pulp Fiction.

And every time he uses the toilet, something bad happens.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cobalt-60 posted:

Nearly everyone in pop science at the turn of the century was. Some ideas are tempting.
Just because a lot of people think something is a pretty neat idea doesn't mean it is, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

tight aspirations posted:

And every time he uses the toilet, something bad happens.
same really

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i would almost certainly blame dietary rather than narcotic consumption. the "better" (read: more expensive/aspirational, meat and dairy every day maybe every meal) your diet the less fiber you get and that has only changed extremely recently, if at all. not enough fiber is a one way ticket to constipation town.

there is a disproportionate amount of constipation cures in ancient medical texts like galan, probably because rich men who could pay for doctors tended to have this problem a lot.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Also alcohol consumption was higher in the 70s and 80s.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

killer crane posted:

Also alcohol consumption was higher in the 70s and 80s.

Alcohol doesn't constipate you though

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Tires are the most fragile things in the world and cars backfire constantly.

And everyone is drunk and/or high 24/7.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

dustin.h posted:

Tires are the most fragile things in the world and cars backfire constantly.
:hmmyes:

dustin.h posted:

And everyone is drunk and/or high 24/7.
you and i know very different people

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

The Lone Badger posted:

CoolCab posted:

i would almost certainly blame dietary rather than narcotic consumption. the "better" (read: more expensive/aspirational, meat and dairy every day maybe every meal) your diet the less fiber you get and that has only changed extremely recently, if at all. not enough fiber is a one way ticket to constipation town.

there is a disproportionate amount of constipation cures in ancient medical texts like galan, probably because rich men who could pay for doctors tended to have this problem a lot.

Also, a lot of patent medicines and quack cures had opiates or alcohol in them, because it made people feel happy, and something to make you puke or induce pooping because that made it seem like the treatment was doing something. One of the things we're really good at, from a medical perspective, is making people puke or poop.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

tinytort posted:

Also, a lot of patent medicines and quack cures had opiates or alcohol in them, because it made people feel happy, and something to make you puke or induce pooping because that made it seem like the treatment was doing something. One of the things we're really good at, from a medical perspective, is making people puke or poop.

I remember in To Kill a Mockingbird, Scout's neighbour was addicted to morphine because they didn't regulate it as much back then. Like a few years ago, my friend had leukemia (he's okay now) and he could control his morphine drip but he only got so much per day.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CoolCab posted:

I tend to 'go' 3x a day because of my high-fiber plant based diet. So yeah, what you eat makes a huge difference.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The main issue is that people naturally poop at different intervals, and there is nothing unhealthy about pooping every other day. However, if you're worrying about being regular, you can wind up dependent on laxatives, which isn't good.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don’t know if people were particularly constipated back then, but they were definitely hung over way more often, which at least explains all the antacid and Alka-Seltzer ads. This is one of my favourite elements of cultural anthropology - ads (and satire) are a really good way to get insight into historical trends that might be overlooked in other ways, but it can be tough to draw the line between what was real and what was just being pushed by ad companies. This stuff fascinates me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can't be hungover if you never stop drinking.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The main issue is that people naturally poop at different intervals, and there is nothing unhealthy about pooping every other day. However, if you're worrying about being regular, you can wind up dependent on laxatives, which isn't good.

Yeah, diet can make a big difference, but the main factor is your own genetic makeup. I eat a super high-fiber plant-based diet, too, but only poop every couple of days. Been that way my whole life, my mom’s side of the family is the same. What’s normal for one person is abnormal for others. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

There's an episode of The Supersizers Go set in the '70s and the most surprising thing is the the truly vast quantities of alcohol they consumed on a daily basis. Enough to put who would today be termed an alcoholic to complete and utter shame.

As someone who collects old drugs, for the vast majority of them, their only active ingredient was either opium, chloral hydrate, or chloroform. They might not have done much to cure whatever ailed you, but at least you'd get a good night's sleep on them. For those drugs that didn't have one of those three, they were mainly comprised of high-proof alcohol. You know, along with the various and sundry things that didn't do anything but sounded good on the label.