Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
This is uh, life changing. I'm still being surprised by shortcuts 5 years into this program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6DK2e1Xwxg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

thats exactly how they make hdris

im such a noob

fart simpson posted:

i was most excited about figuring out how to do the grass.

the trick i was missing last year was alpha masking different chunks of geometry out, and then using the a vector scale node with the factor set to the alpha mask but slightly bigger. you can then do any displacement stuff you want and plug it into that scale node with the mask plugged into the fac and all the displacement will only affect that specific chunk and leave the rest of the object alone. you can then use the same masks as the fac for color mix or shader mix nodes.

last year i was stuck thinking about everything as contiguous single objects, so that grass was just taking a tiny bit of the edge of the cube and stretching it out so there was no real geometry to work with. this time my grass was literally just the bottom face of the cube alpha masked out and only stretched slightly, so there was tons of geometry left in there with which to push up some blades of grass, which was just a voronoi driving both the z axis and the color

this video tutorial was what taught me about this alpha/scale trick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEeBAxjvY8U&t=3s

once i figured out that trick then making almost anything became "easy" if not tedious. because you can then just isolate everything you want and work on them as separate components entirely and just add everything up before the end. each alpha mask is done independently, and added. each shader is done independently, and added with mix shader nodes. each displacement is done independently, and vector added together. it's a very slick workflow.

like for the remake of my house the node tree looks huge but it was actually pretty easy to make since each section is isolated and i can easily change one part without affecting anything else:

:worship:

incredible

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Bluemillion posted:

This is uh, life changing. I'm still being surprised by shortcuts 5 years into this program.

along similar lines

https://youtu.be/v9CXeprYW1M

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this kinda came out well. idk though lol.

rodtronics does graphics work for unforgivable waveforms. (still not 100% on that name)

well the bubble effect looks good anyway.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

I thought this kinda came out well. idk though lol.

rodtronics does graphics work for unforgivable waveforms. (still not 100% on that name)

well the bubble effect looks good anyway.

Need a tiny dark border on that text, otherwise it's great.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
shamemess self quoting

echinopsis posted:

a) theres a built in but deactivated by default plugin called "add mesh: extra objects" which gives the diamonds.

b) material is just glass but ior of around 2.1

c) the glare node with streaks set with a very high threshold

d) animated :smugmrgw:

time for some patented rodtronics lazy rear end something spinning with a multi colour gradient image. be prepared to be underwhelmed

https://giant.gfycat.com/UnlawfulPositiveDutchsmoushond.mp4

this is kind of dumb lol

https://giant.gfycat.com/TediousEmbellishedLacewing.mp4

SuperDepressing
Feb 19, 2011

blender secrets rules!

Here's a render

https://twitter.com/rulesobeyer/status/1451956119337852931?s=20

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

shamemess self quoting

these are sick

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

geometry nodes are life

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

oh poo poo!

https://twitter.com/nodevemberio/status/1451156680599871489?s=21

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i can’t wait

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

listened to some dude on youtube tell me how to make shapes have shapes in blender and did a cycles render with it

was pretty fun will keep loving around

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

faxlore posted:

listened to some dude on youtube tell me how to make shapes have shapes in blender and did a cycles render with it

was pretty fun will keep loving around

Owns.

I recently discovered that vertices have have both and x and y value for radius, giving the skin modifier a whole lot more flexibility.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bluemillion posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing, thanks for finding this because I find floral/swirlywirly designs a complete ballache

What an extrudinary tip :haw:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm making some trains for some reason.

Also I accidentally understand how suspensions work now.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good poo poo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nodevember this year:
only 15 prompts, two days for each one
prompts announced on the 31st

https://twitter.com/nodevemberio/status/1452640788328890382?s=21

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
post itt your favourite ways of blending when you are at work or maybe on holiday or in the birthing suite waiting for your child to be born

I use any desk. i used to use teamviewer but they some how decided that I was using it for commercial
purposes so I switched to any desk

it works. I use my 2015 mack book pro which struggles on its own to run blender, but when it’s acting as a moronic terminal, it’s perfectly good coz it doesn’t have to think

so I remote desktop into my ryzen/rtx double ended dildo of a pc and I operate blender

I make sure I make my blender instances have their priority set to low. I do this anyway, so that I can use my pc to do other things (I also change the amount of threads used under the performance tab in render options to a few less than the amount of cores i have), but this means remote desktop has higher priority and runs smoothly

in fact this priority thing allows me to set up a render and then use a second blender with a less low priority to set up more renders at the same time.

ABC - always be rendering

I can’t help but feel that if my pc is not rendering that my life is going to waste and that keeping my video card hot is the only way my life has meaning

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

good tip on the app priority. I'll be using standard Microsoft RDP through a personal wireguard vpn to an old work surplus laptop running remmina on Fedora

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

nodevember this year:
only 15 prompts, two days for each one
prompts announced on the 31st

https://twitter.com/nodevemberio/status/1452640788328890382?s=21

im fully erect

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

man I'm so far detached from actual 3D art poo poo that it took until last year for me to discover the wonder of using editable poly in 3ds max instead of editable mesh. poo poo I'm still using max 2015 despite having 2021 installed because I can't be hosed to convert all my libraries of materials to the new material system

I'm an enormous dipshit and it's completely unsurprising none of my 3D projects ever pan out lol. y'all are fuckin art gods in my opinion

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kazinsal posted:

man I'm so far detached from actual 3D art poo poo that it took until last year for me to discover the wonder of using editable poly in 3ds max instead of editable mesh. poo poo I'm still using max 2015 despite having 2021 installed because I can't be hosed to convert all my libraries of materials to the new material system

I'm an enormous dipshit and it's completely unsurprising none of my 3D projects ever pan out lol. y'all are fuckin art gods in my opinion

do nodevember with us

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

man I'm so far detached from actual 3D art poo poo that it took until last year for me to discover the wonder of using editable poly in 3ds max instead of editable mesh.

yeah max is dogshit and have two mesh implementations, a old one (editable mesh) and a new one (editable poly) and since they're too lazy they haven't updated a lot of code to use the new one so it converts it back to the old one silently in many cases, losing some information (like edge crease) in the process

none of this is transparent to the user, who have to janitor the usage of editable mesh versus editable poly by hand

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

echinopsis posted:

I can’t help but feel that if my pc is not rendering that my life is going to waste and that keeping my video card hot is the only way my life has meaning
have you considered crypto

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Have you considered Sheepit? https://www.sheepit-renderfarm.com/

I'm curious if anyone has used it. I have no experience with it. The point is that when you're not rendering, which is likely most of the time unless you're echinopsis, your machine will render other people's projects. That builds credits to let you have other people collectively render your projects when you do have something to render, essentially banking your CPU/GPU time for later use.

There's at least one inherent problem - inevitably, your assets must be distributed to anyone involved in rendering them. That's a no go if that's a concern. Otherwise, it seems pretty neat, and I should actually try it some time.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
software can never be good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Elukka posted:

Have you considered Sheepit? https://www.sheepit-renderfarm.com/

I'm curious if anyone has used it. I have no experience with it. The point is that when you're not rendering, which is likely most of the time unless you're echinopsis, your machine will render other people's projects. That builds credits to let you have other people collectively render your projects when you do have something to render, essentially banking your CPU/GPU time for later use.

There's at least one inherent problem - inevitably, your assets must be distributed to anyone involved in rendering them. That's a no go if that's a concern. Otherwise, it seems pretty neat, and I should actually try it some time.

ive used it, yes. it works pretty well in my experience as long as your project files fit within the 500mb size limit.

i have so many credits right now that i dont even know what to do with them, as ive only submitted a small number of things of my own to render

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

ive used it, yes. it works pretty well in my experience as long as your project files fit within the 500mb size limit.

i have so many credits right now that i dont even know what to do with them, as ive only submitted a small number of things of my own to render

same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

good tip on the app priority. I'll be using standard Microsoft RDP through a personal wireguard vpn to an old work surplus laptop running remmina on Fedora

reducing the used threads either thru blender directly or thru task manager and the affinity setting is vital to this working correctly

in windows 2000 on my single core athlon, I could render and having the task priority set low meant I could do everything else completely smoothly

doing this in windows 10 and with 12/24 cores does not do this, you have to manually leave a few cores
doing nothing

why microsoft purposely chose to make windows worse is beyond me

i’ve got some fluid stuff going at the moment and it’s slow as gently caress but the cache size is like 80gb so I suspect any speed benefit id gain would get wiped out by network speeds but 🤷‍♂️

Neon Noodle posted:

have you considered crypto

i’m under the impression that the getting good is long past gone and that you can’t make any money, at least none that isn’t offset by power usage

altho i’ve always considered that as far as money spent on power = less in bitcoin but never considered if the bitcoin goes up in future

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I'm kidding, crypto is evil

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i’ve got some fluid stuff going at the moment and it’s slow as gently caress but the cache size is like 80gb so I suspect any speed benefit id gain would get wiped out by network speeds but 🤷‍♂️

unfortunately it's not really usable for big simulations because you can only do 500mb max

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

i'm the opposite, lol. sometimes i look at these giant node programs people make to turn a sphere into a sailboat or whatever and am like...i could just model that by hand more accurately in less time.

gonna try at least some of the nodevember stuff this year though. i like nodes for making complicated materials so i figure i can at least attempt them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like nodes for writing programs but I can't do that with blender :cry:

anyway this is just a dump of some stuff I've done lately

it just goes for ages
https://giant.gfycat.com/SourHarmfulBear.mp4
this one I changed the scale to hundred meters or so
https://giant.gfycat.com/AdorableSnappyHorsemouse.mp4
no surface on this one only volume
https://giant.gfycat.com/RepulsiveMeatyDouglasfirbarkbeetle.mp4
kind of proud actually how this one came out. not the animation per se, but the bubble effect. the animation just emphasises it
https://giant.gfycat.com/EmbellishedForcefulHarvestmen.mp4
something else
https://giant.gfycat.com/IlliterateBasicBison.mp4

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
The Lightyear trailer got me in the mood to whip up a retro space helmet.

It's one continuous piece of geometry. I beveled vertices and then rounded them out with the looptools circle option to make the antenna.

It's a bit low poly and I should probably get some subdivision going, but :effort:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Monthly animation update! As always there's a Big Description in the Youtube video but here's the one I gave to my friends and family:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRFR1qaQkc

quote:

This month: A cripple hits a bug with a shovel.

No fancy changes to scenery this month, instead this was all about getting a ton of animation blocking done in order to push the scene towards its conclusion. This is just under 2 minutes of new footage focusing on the Driver getting himself back onto his feet following his brawl with the Monster, and the Monster getting itself out of its fiery predicament to try and exact vengeance on his foe.

As always, there's a ton of work to be done and the animation is nowhere near final, this is just rough blocking. Animating the driver's movements were completely alien to me and an inordinate amount of time in real life was spent crawling around on the floor and swinging a walking stick to figure out how one would use a shovel against a 7 foot mantis monster. Still, it was - as I usually state - a ton of fun and I'm really pleased how some of these motions look even in the early stage, particularly the monster in its tripod state and the big shovel swing from the Driver.

My goal for November is to keep this animation blocking going, as tidying up the assets for the graveyard was much less important than it was for the shed considering how little time is spent in each area by comparison.

More rough edges than on a pumice stone, but polish isn't my goal currently - progress is! I still haven't detached the cigarette from the driver when he was supposed to lose it last scene, but at this point it's my lil' buddy coming on an animation ride with me :unsmith:

Figuring out how to attach the shovel to the Driver was a ballache. Two empties set as IK targets, then a Copy Location and Copy Rotation for each hand to set the influence as required seemed to be the case. Copy Transform was a complete nightmare and I don't get why having them as seperate modifiers was the answer, but whatever. This action pushes the animation towards its final conclusion, and from there I can start polishing things up - ultimately I want to replace nearly every asset in the graveyard.

Oh, initially way back in March I wanted this animation done for October but ho ho hoooo no, no way. I think next halloween is a more realistic target - yeah, I'm going hard on this. As a way to make up from it I took a terrible drawing I did around the same time last year and modeled it and I really like how it turned out!

He is A Slimy Fellow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
didn't wanna mess up the nodevember thread with a render I am not sure if finished and also is rodtroncs just for shits and giigles

BUT thiis nebulae thing is the poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

sick howd you do it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

didn't wanna mess up the nodevember thread with a render I am not sure if finished and also is rodtroncs just for shits and giigles

BUT thiis nebulae thing is the poo poo

looks great pimp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

sick howd you do it

tbh i copied someone else’s nodes I found in a reddit thread, the concept is simple enough, use musgrave textures for density and emission and colour in principled volume, but it’s the dialing in the numbers because there is a small sweet spot and i think would take forever to find yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s an effect i’ve wanted to create for ages and have tried many many times but I think it takes someone who has a good understanding of how these nodes work to get this out of it, now that I’ve made that i’m going to try to re make it my own and will see if i’ve learned anything. but unlike anything else i’m doing i don’t really know what’s going on here lmao

i’ll post nodes later