Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Like others said, a pretty boring first episode. But at least it wasn't outright terrible so :confuoot:

Ghost Harry is way better than ghost Deb. That could definitely change though if she starts to swear a lot more.

I'm hoping that as he starts breaking from her 'code' more she goes off the rails and begins berating him. Give us some ham, damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ghost Harry is way better than ghost Deb. That could definitely change though if she starts to swear a lot more.

Did anyone else just feel that Ghost Deb wasn't very . . . Deb-like at all? Even outside of the swearing, she was just WAY too controlled and measured and soothing in the early part of the episode. Even when she was showing the bullet wound, it just seemed like she was at an 8 and one of the hallmarks of Deb was she was just constantly at an 11 when reacting to poo poo.

secretly best girl posted:

I'm hoping that as he starts breaking from her 'code' more she goes off the rails and begins berating him. Give us some ham, damnit.

This is a strategy that could make it better, she really turns into the old Deb by the end of it the more he kills. Fingers crossed.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Well, it's not really Deb. Ghost Harry wasn't like flashback Harry at all, either.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it's just Dexter congratulating himself for not killing people.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Cael posted:

Did anyone else just feel that Ghost Deb wasn't very . . . Deb-like at all?

I saw a review describe Ghost Deb as being more akin to a melancholy Victorian ghost haunting which resonated with me.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i laughed a lot at any reference to the old series, especially ghost deb saying "everyone close to you dies" then after a dramatic pause adding "doakes...laguerta", two people that were going to put him in jail or shoot him for being a murderer

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i guess we'll see but i will be shocked if including harrison in this doesn't turn out to be a mistake.

the rest of the episode was decent corny entertainment. the writing was elbowing its way to get where it wanted to go but it was kind of fun. the harrison stuff is going to be a spanner in the works of that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

R. Guyovich posted:

i laughed a lot at any reference to the old series, especially ghost deb saying "everyone close to you dies" then after a dramatic pause adding "doakes...laguerta", two people that were going to put him in jail or shoot him for being a murderer

Glad I wasn't the only one lmao

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Call me a fool but I really enjoyed it, on brand CGI aside. Predictable in some sections, but still enjoyable. Going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

it's pretty funny that the reasons dexter begins killing again after 10 years is because some guy just annoyed him repeatedly

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite callback was Dexter looking in the mirror for his reflection to say "Hello, Dexter Morgan," because I'm pretty sure the vibe of that scene wasn't supposed to be "oh boy you hosed everything up and your family is going to get murdered now."

itry
Aug 23, 2019

roomtone posted:

it's pretty funny that the reasons dexter begins killing again after 10 years is because some guy just annoyed him repeatedly

He SHOT HIS DEER!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I was a bit on the fence whilst watching this, at first. The camera lingering on Dex as though he was about to V.O., but didn't, was actually a pretty effective technique in making you try to work out what he's thinking. However, the whole sequence when he was walking to the deer had me thinking "he's going to get accidentally winged by the rear end in a top hat with his new gun" and THERE IT IS.
Followed by the dropped silence and "tonight's the night" good god dexter writers you literally cannot restrain yourself 10/10 lets go.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I didn't care for the constant fake outs, but I kind of did appreciate the constant stream of background characters going "this is the kind of dude old Dexter would want to murder" and Dexter consistently going "don't tell me this poo poo" or trying to change the subject, right until YOU SHOT MY DEER.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I didn't care for the constant fake outs, but I kind of did appreciate the constant stream of background characters going "this is the kind of dude old Dexter would want to murder" and Dexter consistently going "don't tell me this poo poo" or trying to change the subject, right until YOU SHOT MY DEER.

Yeah that was pretty amusing. Let's not talk about work. How about that stop sign?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
3 minutes in and no inner monologue? What the hell is this

Caros
May 14, 2008

roomtone posted:

I don't think that is it. They made a point in the episode of how what kept him stable was routine. The annoying guy hosed with his routine, true, but couple that with Harrison's arrival and the general opportunity.

If anything, I'm guessing he has probably a decent number of opportunities and otherwise close calls over the year where a target presented themselves but he managed to restrain himself. This time he is stressed to the point of lashing out violently and from there it is free game.

Khablam posted:

I was a bit on the fence whilst watching this, at first. The camera lingering on Dex as though he was about to V.O., but didn't, was actually a pretty effective technique in making you try to work out what he's thinking. However, the whole sequence when he was walking to the deer had me thinking "he's going to get accidentally winged by the rear end in a top hat with his new gun" and THERE IT IS.
Followed by the dropped silence and "tonight's the night" good god dexter writers you literally cannot restrain yourself 10/10 lets go.

This was especially funny for me. I'm like 'okay the douchebag is going to shoot the deer. Anytime now, I get it. I get it show, you don't have to...

But I have subtitles on, so about a full half second before the shot, I get [Gunshot] in the subtitles, and I just about loving died laughing.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Saw the episode last night. The first 40 minutes were so loving boring, mostly because after ten minutes you could tell how it was gonna end. They could not have telegraphed it harder. I did enjoy the lack of an inner monologue though. The last ten or so were pretty alright, though I REALLY didn't like that they brought the inner monologues back. I knew it was coming but still, hated it.

Also, I thought it was stupid how Dexter took makeshift blood slide, then put it down saying he didn't need to take trophies anymore. Like... Dude, you didn't take trophies for two seasons. How is that a development, it already loving happened.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

the trophy thing was probably for people like me who didn't remember/weren't aware he stopped taking trophies already at some point

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was probably just a reflex.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i cant believe these protestors were handed mochas to throw a ta billionaire and they just didn't even try

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That dude doing a bunch of cocaine all at once and bitching about his dick face scar was wackier than Ghost Deb pulling out a bullet or getting dragged under the ice.

Khanstant posted:

i cant believe these protestors were handed mochas to throw a ta billionaire and they just didn't even try

haha, yeah that was the same thing I was thinking. Don't give them projectiles, dumbass

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 8, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

dexter new blood, ep 1:
dexter has to personally deliver a gun to a coke party but uh oh the customer is busy loving the pastor's daughter better wait and hear about how he also murdered 5 people with a boat from his friend Dickface and then deliver the gun to this guy anyway even though he admits to being mega high right now

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

dexter doesn't have his "is this guy a murderer" computer program from miami metro so he's doing the best detective work he can, ok

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

roomtone posted:

dexter new blood, ep 1:
dexter has to personally deliver a gun to a coke party but uh oh the customer is busy loving the pastor's daughter better wait and hear about how he also murdered 5 people with a boat from his friend Dickface and then deliver the gun to this guy anyway even though he admits to being mega high right now

It would be so hilarious if it later turns out Dickface was just talking poo poo because he was jealous and angry with his buddy at that moment, and none of what he said was true. I realize the guy confessed on the table but that could be chalked up to saying whatever he thought Dexter wanted to hear, in an attempt to get out of the situation. Then we could get all of ten minutes of Dexter feeling bad about it before he justifies his actions because the guy was an rear end in a top hat, and that means he fits the code.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I thought it was all really bad, especially Harrison showing up out of nowhere. And the Deer, and the cop banging Dexter, and the side story about how the annoying guy killed some people or some poo poo.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
How is anyone supposed to understand the show without ghost Harry to explain to dexter what the deer represented to him?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

"he'll be safer with hannah"

will he?? what did he even tell her to justify an unsupervised trip to upstate new york?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I actually laughed at that line

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ghost Deb asks him if he's ready for tonight at the beginning, when you think the butchers tools are for murdering.

Is she asking him if he's ready for line dancing at the bar? Is he real pumped for that?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I actually liked ol' dickie's performance.

roomtone posted:

dexter new blood, ep 1:

Well, when you put it like that...

PostNouveau posted:

Ghost Deb asks him if he's ready for tonight at the beginning, when you think the butchers tools are for murdering.

Is she asking him if he's ready for line dancing at the bar? Is he real pumped for that?

It was clear it wasn't about killing as soon as he did that spin. It was more along the lines of "are you ready to pretend you're fun in public?".

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
There is a very weird type of narrative tension here. It's not about the characters, it's about the writer's perspective. We don't know if the writer's view of the character has matured over the years. It's all a big question of whether they learned anything. Is Dexter going to end this a hero or a villian. Not in the sense of whether his actions are good or bad. They're going to be awful, but will the story acknowledge that or yet again frame him like he's not an unapologetic mass murderer?

I mean, I suspect they haven't learned, but who knows!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dexter is loose in Gilmore Girl's Stars Hallow.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
kirk was the bay harbor butcher of stars hollow

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
how did harrison find dexter anyway?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

how did harrison find dexter anyway?

They'll have to reveal it. Probably next episode even.

I'm sure it'll be stupid as all hell

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dexter's outgoing voicemail message was "Hi, this is Dexter Morgan, haha, yeah, the Bay Harbor Butcher. I've decided to run away to Alaska, here is my new address."

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

dexter went viral on r/LineDancingFails where harrison is coincidentally a mod

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We know Dexter is going to get caught and executed because that’s how it was suppose to end anyway according to the original writers. No way they let him escape again after the backlash they received last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

George H.W. oval office posted:

We know Dexter is going to get caught and executed because that’s how it was suppose to end anyway according to the original writers. No way they let him escape again after the backlash they received last time.

— me, circa 2011